: Sandy and other cigar aficionados

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 05:46 PM
Well todays other project (after fixing the HVAC box) was to mount a Cigar Humidor into the rear shelf area of the deville. I bought a wooden cigar box from the cigar shop up the street. "Ponce de Leon Natural 25 cigars" very nice looking box and logos. Really fits what im going for. More importantly it fits the area perfectly.

My question is , will this be a safe enviroment for them? The cigar shop owner confirmed my thoughts by saying it isnt a good idea to put them in there as it is to hot. Is it true ? If so ill toss a few cheapies in there or use it as a storeage compartment like whats found on the early 90s C body cars.

Kev
07-30-05, 06:04 PM
Although I am not a cigar aficionado (heck, I don't even smoke!) a couple of things come to mind;
1. Too hot, will dry the cigars out.
2. Too far to reach them unless you are a back seat passenger.

So, I was thinking, if I wanted a humidor I would want it within easy reach while driving, say like in a center consol. You could install one below the center of the dash. Something like this;
http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/new_images/monarch.jpg
You can find it here;
http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/cigar-humidors/enlarged/monarchenlarge.html

Only $40 plus shipping.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 06:09 PM
good points , i agree about the heat ....thats why im wondering ....

as for placement , im going for the limo effect ....

its purely for show but say if i went somewhere and wanted a cigar when i got there (i wont smoke in the car) thatd be kinda neat ....

i was inspired by the VW Phaeton's optional humidor ...or was that on the Maybach...now i cant remeber

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 06:11 PM
Uh oh , looks like kev and the cigar store were right LOL

The most important aspects to keep in mind in proper cigar storage are:
ensuring a stable, relative humidity around 70%
storing cigars at temperatures below 75 degrees F
storing cigars in a dark environment

Humidity and darkness i have ,temp i dont LOL ...damn i wonder how hot the interior gets , i bet at least 140 LOL

http://www.cigars-discount-cigar-humidors.com/cigarstorage.htm

Kev
07-30-05, 06:12 PM
good points , i agree about the heat ....thats why im wondering ....

as for placement , im going for the limo effect ....

its purely for show but say if i went somewhere and wanted a cigar when i got there (i wont smoke in the car) thatd be kinda neat ....

i was inspired by the VW Phaeton's optional humidor ...or was that on the Maybach...now i cant remeberOh, the Limo effect......yeah but then you got to get some schmuck to drive for you and you got to wear spanky clothes and if someone else is in the car with you and they see the humidor they're going to want to smoke that puppy right there on the spot in you car and its going to ruin the interior and what if they accidently drop it and burn the apholstery or carpet?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 06:14 PM
Oh, the Limo effect......yeah but then you got to get some schmuck to drive for you and you got to wear spanky clothes and if someone else is in the car with you and they see the humidor they're going to want to smoke that puppy right there on the spot in you car and its going to ruin the interior and what if they accidently drop it and burn the apholstery or carpet?
note to self: buy lock for humidor

LOL

Sandy
07-30-05, 07:18 PM
No place in a car is any good for cigars, period! The car that came with a built-in humidor, and a platinum cigar cutter, and a velvet pouch area was the Special Edition Aston Martin Coupe of about 4 years ago. It was the Alfred Dunhill Edition A.M. V-12 Coupe. They most all came to America. I seem to recall 100 of them. They were all silver, with silver leather, piped in black. Many of the instrument panel controls were done in pewter.

Back to cigars. I keep mine in the 'Fridge, and in the original box they come in. Heat & humidity will have a very bad effect on the taste and if left there long enough, on the eveness of burning. Not worth the effort, really.

Now, if you're burning White Owls or such, then it really doesn't matter....

Ralph
07-30-05, 07:22 PM
It's an interesting idea Stoney. I still don't use that space on the back deck, and I don't think I ever will have use for it.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 07:34 PM
now that brings an interesting idea , i wonder if i can keep the box at 75 degrees soley off solar power (ive seen arrays for a reasonable cost)

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 08:25 PM
Well i got it in now , i installed it into the 3rd brakelight assembly, which is now LED to boot...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/246000-246999/246667_37_full.jpg

Sandy
07-30-05, 10:03 PM
Looks attractive! I hope you put some 2-sided tape under it, or it's going flying forward on the next sharp stop !

Stoneage_Caddy
07-30-05, 10:06 PM
thankx sandy! manes alot from a man of your taste...

well its not held with 2 sided tape ....its right now on with velcro ....till i can find a very nice way to fasten it (havent gotten done finding all the wires under there to lightly bolt it to the shelf)

RBraczyk
07-30-05, 11:17 PM
There is the option of a coolidor, which uses cool humidity instead of warm humidity to keep cigars fresh. I'd mount it in the flip down center console, and put a small solar powered cooling device.

Only problem is when you'd have to tip that upwards, but the only event of that happenins is that if there is a VERY friendly lady sitting next to you....

...but then you couldn't give two shits about the cigars...

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 12:10 AM
Actually thankx for the idea rb ....got me thinking of how the little eletric coolers work ...
http://www.mpja.com/pictures/15442.jpg
2 of these tied into a solar panel should be enough to cool it down to 70f from 140 interior temp (worst case)

at 10 bucks a peice and 28 bucks for a 12v solar panel from west marine i should be set , total cost at that point 50 bucks

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 12:16 AM
ah crap im screwed on wattage ...damn

Elvis
07-31-05, 12:21 AM
Only problem is when you'd have to tip that upwards, but the only event of that happenins is that if there is a VERY friendly lady sitting next to you....

...but then you couldn't give two shits about the cigars...

Trust me, when you smoke those nasty things, she'd rather blow you than kiss you.

Maybe that's a good thing? Should I start smoking again?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 12:23 AM
def not elvis .....im a once a month kinda guy now ....but i still havent touched a ciggarette since quitting ....but ivehad a total of 4 cigars since then

Elvis
07-31-05, 12:26 AM
I've almost given in three times this month.

But I held on.

Over 13 months smoke-free now.

Sandy
07-31-05, 12:28 AM
I never inhale a cigar. THAT'S downright NASTY :tisk:

powerglide
07-31-05, 12:44 AM
Actually thankx for the idea rb ....got me thinking of how the little eletric coolers work ...
http://www.mpja.com/pictures/15442.jpg
2 of these tied into a solar panel should be enough to cool it down to 70f from 140 interior temp (worst case)

at 10 bucks a peice and 28 bucks for a 12v solar panel from west marine i should be set , total cost at that point 50 bucks

I always thought thermoelectric cooling can't remove that much heat......it can move heat from the hot contact surface to the other side, then it still need to be removed from that surface via forced or free convection. Even if you had sufficient wattage can you really maintain a 70 degree temp differential with those things?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 12:47 AM
it works in them portable coolers ...i figure if i mount it on the bottom of the box faceing the newly created cavity in the 3rd brakelight area that id have a place to send the warm air ...

itll be an interesting project , ive found a unit that needs only 18 watts , and i can get a solar array that will fit back there for that ...so it might still be game on

powerglide
07-31-05, 12:55 AM
Interesting, I am curious to see what you find if you do go ahead with it, good luck!

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 01:18 AM
well this is interesting here is a unit that needs 1.82w and 2.1v

stupid question ....how would i power this from a 12v 2w setup ?

RBraczyk
07-31-05, 01:21 AM
I never inhale a cigar. THAT'S downright NASTY :tisk:

If you do, you start spinning and you want to die. Its pretty bad.

RBraczyk
07-31-05, 01:22 AM
well this is interesting here is a unit that needs 1.82w and 2.1v

stupid question ....how would i power this from a 12v 2w setup ?

Transistor.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 01:25 AM
where would i get such a thing ? this is my first foray into doing something like this ....usuly everything i deal with is one voltage ...radio shack would have this transistor ?

Sandy
07-31-05, 10:37 AM
RB, your PM box is full. Clean out time. I sent you a message it bounced.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 03:58 PM
My idea was not as grand as yours, i wouldnt leave mine out on display, but i do enjoy a cigar occasionally, but i have nowhere to keep them in my car, i, like some yourselves wont smoke in any of my cars (except the Vectra) i keep my cigars, like Sandy, in the fridge, but none of my cars have one, but ost of them have 12V accessory sockets in the trunk. So my solution was to go out and but a few of those 40 mini fridges that work on 12V convertors, and put them in the back of the cars with the sockets. in each one i have a box of cigars, some bottled water, and other snacks etc. except in my vectra which has refrigerated glovebox :D Just my idea, which i thought was very good at the time

SilverCTS
07-31-05, 10:05 PM
It depends on your climate.

If your car is baking in the hot sun all day in a hot weather climate, then the humidor isn't going work. Your cigars are going to dry up. If you pay a lot for cigars like I do, then you might as well throw your money away.

Keep your humidor in your office like I do. When you're going out for a cruise bring 1 or 2 along for the ride.

RBraczyk
07-31-05, 11:08 PM
where would i get such a thing ? this is my first foray into doing something like this ....usuly everything i deal with is one voltage ...radio shack would have this transistor ?

Yup, people use them to make angel eyes for cars. Ask the retarted sales staff. they're in those tall box trays. Don't ask the guys for help, they're stupid.

RBraczyk
07-31-05, 11:08 PM
RB, your PM box is full. Clean out time. I sent you a message it bounced.

Done. You can also email me at Rob.Braczyk@gmail.com

radbag
08-02-05, 02:11 PM
No place in a car is any good for cigars, period! The car that came with a built-in humidor, and a platinum cigar cutter, and a velvet pouch area was the Special Edition Aston Martin Coupe of about 4 years ago. It was the Alfred Dunhill Edition A.M. V-12 Coupe. They most all came to America. I seem to recall 100 of them. They were all silver, with silver leather, piped in black. Many of the instrument panel controls were done in pewter.

Back to cigars. I keep mine in the 'Fridge, and in the original box they come in. Heat & humidity will have a very bad effect on the taste and if left there long enough, on the eveness of burning. Not worth the effort, really.

Now, if you're burning White Owls or such, then it really doesn't matter....

agreed on most points but no one should EVER put cigars in thier fridge...a good rule of thumb on the optimum temp and humidity should be 70/70

too hot and they dry, too cold as you suggest and the melding process of tobaccos that are the makeup of a fine cigar are stunted or deterred therefore never maximizing the full potential of your cigar stash...there's a thawing out process that's a pain in the azz...

for those without proper humidors, i suggest buying from the store on a "when needed" basis...the cigars i'm assuming are kept 70/70 at most reputable tobacconists -- if you have to store short term (no longer than a week or so), i suggest keeping them in wrapper (if available), keep in the box you bought, and rip off a corner of a damp sponge and store it in the box as well...try to moisten the innards of the box with warm water as to help keep the humidity stored...you're good to go for the short term.

don't ever store em in the fridge, you'd be messing with the composition of the blends...;)

SilverCTS
08-02-05, 03:52 PM
agreed on most points but no one should EVER put cigars in thier fridge...a good rule of thumb on the optimum temp and humidity should be 70/70

too hot and they dry, too cold as you suggest and the melding process of tobaccos that are the makeup of a fine cigar are stunted or deterred therefore never maximizing the full potential of your cigar stash...there's a thawing out process that's a pain in the azz...

for those without proper humidors, i suggest buying from the store on a "when needed" basis...the cigars i'm assuming are kept 70/70 at most reputable tobacconists -- if you have to store short term (no longer than a week or so), i suggest keeping them in wrapper (if available), keep in the box you bought, and rip off a corner of a damp sponge and store it in the box as well...try to moisten the innards of the box with warm water as to help keep the humidity stored...you're good to go for the short term.

don't ever store em in the fridge, you'd be messing with the composition of the blends...;)

Agreed. This is all true.