: Haynes Manual?

BeaverDude2k
11-13-03, 12:54 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Haynes Manual for my 1986 Fleetwood Brougham. Anyone have one? Is it worth the cash or is there a better manual out there with more info?

brougham
11-13-03, 11:56 AM
Get the factory service manual from ebay. The Haynes manual for them is junk. :bonkers:

kcnewell
11-14-03, 08:48 PM
Haynes, Clymer......Whatever they are, They are not worth the paper that they'er printed on!

elwesso
11-14-03, 09:05 PM
So much for being MIA..... :rolleyes:

Mad'lac
11-16-03, 01:57 AM
Get back in line Golden Boy!!! As for the Haynes Manual....its nice to have in case you run out of toilet paper. A factory service manual is the best way to go. Ebay is your best bet.

92_Deville_on_20's
11-18-03, 02:39 PM
I own a Haynes Manual and I think that it is better than nothing.

I mean it is only 10-15 buck, what is that going to hurt.

davesdeville
11-18-03, 06:44 PM
I have the Haynes manual for 70-93 RWD models. It kinda sucks and it has a carb that's differant from mine, but meh it's worth the $15 if you don't already know a ton about your car.

elwesso
11-18-03, 06:50 PM
Its worth it if you dont care about details, or accuracy!!!

davesdeville
11-18-03, 07:39 PM
It's better than nothing, Wes.

elwesso
11-18-03, 08:18 PM
Yes, thats true.... Thats why I said its not good if you dont care about details... However, its definitely worth the money for looking at MAJOR systems, rather than individual parts.... If you are a minor DIYer, Id say its a reasonable investment!

brougham
11-18-03, 08:43 PM
Yes it is better then nothing but there's not a lot of info at all in it. I have one for 2 of our other cars and it is a lot better then the Cadillac one. The factory ones usually aren't all that much more on ebay which is why I said to get one of those instead.

kcnewell
11-18-03, 09:23 PM
It's better than nothing?......It is nothing! If the book gives you the wrong or incomplete info it's WORSE than nothing because it will get you to a point where the car doesn't run and you've got it apart and NOW you can't fix it. Haynes / Chiltons manuals are not even worth $5.00 They're so incomplete that they'll just get you in trouble.

elwesso
11-18-03, 09:33 PM
They should make the pages single sided so you can use the other side for printer paper!!!

davesdeville
11-18-03, 10:29 PM
You shouldn't be stupid enough to take it apart if there's not enough information there to fix it.

No one's forcing you to buy one.

kcnewell
11-19-03, 11:36 PM
You shouldn't be stupid enough to take it apart if there's not enough information there to fix it.

No one's forcing you to buy one.

You sort of missed the point.....Here, I'll draw you a little picture. See, Most people that would buy a Haynes/Chiltons manual would not be knowlegable enough to know in advance of starting the repair job that the sorry a$$ed manual that they just wasted their money on was incomplete. That's the little tiny point that you missed. We realize that no one's forcing you to buy one, Just trying to make sure that no one wastes their money on one.

BeaverDude2k
11-24-03, 11:34 PM
Hey Folks,
I broke down and bought a Haynes. It has some ok info, however it spans 23 years, not exactly model specific, and extremely vague. I am planning on buying a shop manual on ebay, the starting price is 9.99 + 5 bucks shipping, same price as a Haynes Manual. So anyone thinking about buying a Haynes I'd suggest you wait on it and spend a little extra cash on a decent shop manual.
ps. Ebay rules.

kcnewell
11-24-03, 11:39 PM
Imagine that!