: Hi, new here with q on a 99 Eld.

calponte
07-29-05, 04:03 PM
Hi, could someone direct me to the proper forum for tech support on a 99' Eldorado? I'd appreciate it.. as I'm not sure this is the correct one.

Thanks for any help

mcowden
07-29-05, 04:34 PM
This is the place for questions and answers about Northstar engines and transmissions. For stuff like climate control, electrical, lights, basically everything except the engine or suspension, go to the Eldorado forum. There is another forum for suspension-related issues. Click on "Cadillac Forums" in the black bar above, then scroll down to find the forum you need.

Welcome to the forums and good luck! You'll find lots of helpful people here and good advice to keep your Cadillac in fine running condition.

calponte
07-29-05, 04:51 PM
great..thank you

As for my question.. i am having an intermittet start problem.. it will start fine and other times it will take 5-7secs to fire. Could this be crankshaft sensor failure or? It has been doing it for a week and so far I have no check engine light.
I have read that the 99's have a pretty stable sensor but.. i'm not sure where else to look.

Thanks again for any help

zonie77
07-29-05, 07:49 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator. Look in the tech tips section for instructions.

calponte
07-29-05, 09:09 PM
if anything mine has cold start issues, never seems to do it when hot..
i'll check the fpr for reference though

mcowden
07-29-05, 11:20 PM
Check the fuel pressure regulator. Look in the tech tips section for instructions.

I agree with zonie. It does sound like a leaking fuel pressure regulator. There are other options, but the FPR is quick and easy to check. My '96 SLS was taking 5-7 seconds to start cold and I never thought much about it. It did that for three years. Then it developed a misfire and eventually set a P0300 (Misfire) DTC. The FPR was fine and everything appeared to be in excellent condition. I was stumped. I replaced plugs and wires with the AC-Delco parts recommended by GM and the thing starts instantly in any weather and the misfire is gone. Just for reference, the plugs that were in it were Bosch Platinums, and they only had about 30,000 miles on them. Two of the platinum tips were gone. I don't know if it was the plugs or wires that fixed it, but I'll never buy Bosch plugs again and the wires did have about 90,xxx miles on them.

A lot of people have come here looking for answers for a misfire after they had the fuel rail recall service done. When they replace the nylon rail with the stainless one, they have to move the wires. Apparently that disturbs old wires enough that they don't last long after that. All of those people have been told to replace wires and that seems to fix the issue for them.

Just FYI. Your particular issue could be lots of things. Let us know what you find with the FPR.

calponte
07-29-05, 11:34 PM
thank you..
will do