: New owner of 2001 STS

Mark Bunds
07-29-05, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone!

Y'all ain't gonna belive this, but here's how I ended up with the finest automobile I ever owned.

My wife and I needed a replacement for our aging Park Avenue, which was a very nice car, but with 167,000 miles it was time for a change. So we decided out of the blue last Saturday (7/23) to stop in at a local Ford/Lincoln/Merc dealer and have a look at the used trades there, with nothing particular in mind but a replacement for our old luxury sedan, perhaps a Continental/Town Car or Grand Marquis. I've had Lincolns before, and was rather fond of them. (I also had a 77 DeVille with a 500 CID in 1987, I liked it pretty well too.)

We test drove a couple that were on the lot; a 2005 Monte Carlo (former rental car, too plain, gutless.) A 2004 Grand Torino (too Ford, less gutless, but still gutless)

Neither trade really excited us, so the sales manager called up the new car division up the road and told me that they had a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS that had just come in on trade, and that he could have them drive it over for us to check out.

Now, bear in mind that I haven't really LOOKED seriously at Cadillac for better than 18 years, and, not being the coveteous type, never really examined the specs or been mindful of the various packages. I HAD heard about the Northstar, but to me it was just another nextgen gimmik that appealed to the psychology of "being up with the 21st century." Fine, a 32 Valve, computer-controlled DOHC V8; three times as much to go wrong. I do appreciate fast cars, but having a fast car was never a priority.

So, five minutes later this beautiful, shining. metallic emerald-green (or whatever green GM paints them with; I'm sorta color-blind) Seville pulls up outside. "That must be it," my wife said; "Crap, another green car."
"I Don't care what color it is," I said, "We liked the green Buick well enough, so if I like this one, I'll buy it. If I don't, I wont!" The sales manager tosses me the keys, and off we go.

I let my wife drive it first; I'm a gizmo guy so I wanted to play with all the goodies that are so abundant in this car first thing. And I thought our Buick had accessories! So, I'm foolin' around with the Bose, the electric seats, the dual-climate control, OnStar, you know, making sure everything works, and not really paying attention to what she's doing.

My wife is a Corvette gal, and she knows more than most ladies about performance, so she is certainly not fearful of "puttin' the hammer down," so to speak.

She didn't warn me. She just put her foot down on the brake at the first red light we came to, revved it up and let go.

WOW.

"I want to drive it now. Can we stop? Can we stop now? C'mon, it's my turn to drive!," I began to beg. She finally changed places with me.

I bought the car.

I've been reading posts in this forum for several days now, and I'm still having trouble coming to terms with what I have. GM specs suggest that, stock, this model year is the fastest STS in the lineup until the V. Is this true? I've also been looking at the performance mod's available, and there ain't much. Intake, exhaust, that's about it. It would appear that the N* in itself is about as tricked out as it gets unless you get REAL exotic/Expensive with it.

I had no Idea how great this car was when I bought it, I just liked it.
Can someone on this forum tell me some more about what I got, and what to expect?

See Y'all in the forums!

Kev
07-29-05, 02:22 PM
Great story Mark. I can't tell you much about your car but I'm betting your going to enjoy it for a long time. There will surely be others more familiar with it along soon.
Welcome to the forums!

caddydaddy
07-29-05, 02:59 PM
Congrats on the new STS! I have a 2000 STS that I've owned for 2 1/2 years, and love it! It gave me quite a few problems at first, when it was under factory warranty, but has been pretty trouble free since.
I have the Corsa cat-back exhaust, and that is a must have for the STS! It turns the car into a monster! With the muscular sounds and extra power, it's a different car! I have also upgrade my brakes, tinted the windows, installed a billet grille and put on DTS wheels. The car gets the looks!
How many miles on the STS?

Mark Bunds
07-29-05, 03:16 PM
Congrats on the new STS! I have a 2000 STS that I've owned for 2 1/2 years, and love it! It gave me quite a few problems at first, when it was under factory warranty, but has been pretty trouble free since.

Minor problems, I hope. I'm pretty savvy with electronic troubleshooting, but that won't pay for the components LOL. . . Members of the forum here suggest overall that the systems are pretty reliable. Since the car is 5 years old, I would hope the former owner worked out the bugs during the warranty. . .

I have the Corsa cat-back exhaust, and that is a must have for the STS! It turns the car into a monster! With the muscular sounds and extra power, it's a different car!

What'd that set you back, about 11-$1200.00?

I have also upgrade my brakes, tinted the windows, installed a billet grille and put on DTS wheels. The car gets the looks!

...Similar items on my list, but I fear the tire diameter dilemma...

How many miles on the STS?

She came with only 39,000!!

I've been running a few WOT cycles to clear it out, just in case the former owner was too gentle with it. (Who the hell am I kidding? I run WOT cycles because it's FUN!!!) It seems that 39,000 in four or five years is a rather light load.

caddydaddy
07-29-05, 03:32 PM
No, it's been pretty major problems! New engine at 44k miles, lots of electronics, wood trim, fuel pump, etc. I'm sure GM has put at least another $15k into my car since I've owned it!
The Corsa system was $950 The tire size I chose is the same diameter as stock, so no worries there.
Yeah, 39k is low for a 4 year old car. Mine had that at 3 years old. WOTs are very fun, and with the Corsa system, it sounds awesome at 7,000 RPMs!

Mark Bunds
07-29-05, 03:43 PM
No, it's been pretty major problems! New engine at 44k miles, lots of electronics, wood trim, fuel pump, etc. I'm sure GM has put at least another $15k into my car since I've owned it!!

I'll bet you thought "what have I gotten myself into" back then!!!

The Corsa system was $950

Installed?

The tire size I chose is the same diameter as stock, so no worries there.

I suppose that may not be true for all custom rims?

Yeah, 39k is low for a 4 year old car. Mine had that at 3 years old. WOTs are very fun, and with the Corsa system, it sounds awesome at 7,000 RPMs!

The N* will wind up to 7k? Isn't it rev-limited somewhere below redline?

caddydaddy
07-30-05, 03:57 PM
Well, with all the problems I was having, I was SO glad I bought one that was still under factory warranty! Not two weeks after I bought it the sunroof jammed open and the keyless entry module died! I have since purchased an extended warranty, so I'm covered for an additional 4 years and up to 100k miles for everything! Since the factory warranty has expired I've "only" had the fuel pump and key replaced!
The Corsa system I installed myself, it was very easy to do! Yes, the wheels do fit nice since they are from another Cadillac, but that is true about others. Any good wheel and tire shop should know what can fit. But I do LOVE my new DTS wheels!
According to the resident Northstar engineer on here, the tach reads just under 7k RPMs when shifting at redline, but he claims that the engine is actually above 7k RPMs before it shifts. Either way, it sounds great through the Corsa!

madooch
07-30-05, 04:01 PM
welcome aboard i have an 02STS and i love it

D148L0
08-01-05, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Rolex
08-01-05, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forums. Great story too! :D I had a mental pic of you hanging onto the "oh crap" bars while your wife was putting the northstar through its paces. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the wealth of info from the good people you'll find here. My parents STS was the reason I decided to shop Caddilac, so needless to say I love the STS! :welcome:

Boombotz
08-02-05, 08:01 PM
:welcome: to the forums.