: NFL 2005-2006 season coming up!

illumina
07-28-05, 12:42 AM
Ok people, what's your take on the upcoming NFL seaon? If anyone remembers correctly, I predicted that the Patriots and Eagles would be in the Super Bowl last season, in which I was correct...Just didn't pick the correct winner :helpless:

This year might have a different outcome all together. I still have those two teams going high, but there are other teams that should show up and do well.

For instance in the AFC, the Bengals look like they could make a move into the post season as well as the Bills in the AFC. Both teams have had a poor history as of recenly, though the Bengals have been a joke for over 15 years. The Bills have only been so for the past few years. The Patriots will likely go deep in the postseason again, but they will not have a repeat appearence to the big one. They have undergone too many staff changes in two very important positions to make it that far. They'll get by more on talant than the schemes of the two coordinators that they have lost.

My pick for the AFC this seaon will be the Colts...And I am really gritting my teeth on this one because I still don't believe that Peyton Manning is clutch enough to make it so far. It's just with the loss of the Patriots' coordinator spots, I give them the top spot here...

The NFC still looks the same, and the Eagles are likely to repeat their success as long as Terrel Owens quits being an ass and plays this year. He is currently involved in a contract dispute that may cause him to miss training camp. The Cowboys are looking pretty good and the Vikings may take a step up though they have lost Randy Moss.

It should be of no surprise that I give my favorite team, the Eagles, the honors of the top pick in the NFC. I'm not sold on the Falcons yet and the other teams in the NFC are just plain weak...No one really sells me this year in that conference other than Philly.

As for last year's surprise team, the Chargers, I really don't think they'll be as good as they were last year. Those who follow the NFL have seen this one-year-wonder trend too many times...

So for all of the teams that made it last season, I'll give my commentary on how they'll they'll do this year:

AFC:

Patriots: still in the hunt. Won't be as good, but will likely win their division and go deep.

Colts: damn fine offense. Manning is skilled, but has to prove he can take the next step. With the Patriots weakened, this should be his and the Colts' year.

Chargers: 12-4 was pushing it last season. Don't expect that from them this year. They might be 9-7 or 10-6 good, but that's the best they'll do. They'll likely miss the postseason and go 8-8.

Steelers: once again, a disappointment! Like the Chargers last season, their record and success was a bit of a surprise. Don't expect anything close to that record this year. Big Ben will be good in the long run, but may fall back some this season, so expect the Steeler's record to plumit back down to Earth (9-7, might miss out).

Jets: there's something about this team I just don't like. Herm Edwards is a fine coach, and they have talent, but I'll be damed if I can figure them out each season. I'll give them a shot, but don't expect a Super Bowl birth from them.

Broncos: another favorite team of mine, but like the Jets, they're hard to figure. Plummer at QB has been decent, but the team as a whole just has no real identity. They have a chance to win the division if the Cheifs don't come back this year, but Plummer and the rest of the team has to really step it up for them make the postseason and go somewhere with it.

NFC:

Eagles: can they repeat and actually win this time? My guess will be yes to at least one part of that two part question. But the Eagles have to get Owens happy and Mcnabb really needs to give a better performance in the bigger games. Thus far, he's been lucky...

Falcons: first year coach, Michael Vick, and a battered division equalled a playoff birth last season. Don't expect their ride to be as easy this year.

Packers: yet another playoff loss at home you say? This team might be dried up and will likely take a back seat to the Vikings this year. Favre is still the man though!

Seahawks: they don't sell me anymore. When Mike Holmgren took over 7 years ago as coach, I expected big and great things from them. Now I don't. They have the talent and all, but they just don't seem to get it. They'll likely be back in the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure we should expect too much from them, no matter how good of a record they might post.

Vikings: a team that, on paper, should be on the rise. Though they lost Randy Moss, they should be better because of huge defensive changes. I'll put them in the top spot for the NFC North crown over the Packers this year.

Rams: they're really pushing it, now aren't they? Their offesne should be more solid this year, but I really don't know if their defense will be up to par yet, so don't expect a 500 point offense and a 12-4 record this year either: they'll likely go 9-7 or worse and flirt with missing the postseason all together.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I ask for your thoughts...

:cool:

addison_ii
07-28-05, 12:47 AM
I predict Charles Rogers will actually play a whole season. The Detroit Lions will win the superbowl in Detroit. Yeah that's right.
*Ok it's wishful thinking*

illumina
07-28-05, 01:01 AM
I predict Charles Rogers will actually play a whole season. The Detroit Lions will win the superbowl in Detroit. Yeah that's right.
*Ok it's wishful thinking*

You must like the Lions, huh? Garcia will likely push Harrington and then they might do something.

But answer me this, why in the Hell did they take another top wide-out in the first round again? :hmm: That's one thing I just cant figure out...

evilrussian
07-28-05, 01:04 AM
Things are looking up for the Dolphins this year. Coach Nick Saban is not taking any crap from the players, hell, he yelled at DT Manny Wright during a practice, made him walk of the field in tears :crying: . That's a change from that wuss Dave Wandstedt (sp?), glad to see him gone.

Ricky Williams is back! He appologized to the fans and teammates about last year. Not sure if he stopped smoking reefer though...

So hopefully we will have more W's than L's this season.

addison_ii
07-28-05, 01:11 AM
You must like the Lions, huh? Garcia will likely push Harrington and then they might do something.

But answer me this, why in the Hell did they take another top wide-out in the first round again? :hmm: That's one thing I just cant figure out...
I think they picked Mike Williams because they are already counting on Chuck being a "dud". I like Detroit only because it's my home state's team and my former classmate is supposed to be the star wide out of the team.

illumina
07-28-05, 01:19 AM
Things are looking up for the Dolphins this year. Coach Nick Saban is not taking any crap from the players, hell, he yelled at DT Manny Wright during a practice, made him walk of the field in tears :crying: . That's a change from that wuss Dave Wandstedt (sp?), glad to see him gone.

Ricky Williams is back! He appologized to the fans and teammates about last year. Not sure if he stopped smoking reefer though...

So hopefully we will have more W's than L's this season.

They'll be on the upswing this year, but the Bills are too, and they are in the same division. Then there's the mystery Jets...Who knows how they'll affect things...Let's not forget the Patriots too. Sorry, but when you have a division like that, getting more W's than L's when last season was a disaster will be a little tough.

The Dolphins will need a few things to go right for them to succeed this year:

a.) Better QB play. Gus Ferotte is a seasoned vet, but stepping into a new team and new system as a full-on starter will be tough. If he does well in camp and in the pre-season, he might (should) do well for them during the regular season and that will lift the 'Phins higher than last season's record.

b.) Running game. Though Williams is back, I don't believe he is expected to be the starter. If he and the new guy (Ronnie Brown) can play at a high level of competition, then this will (should) also help a lot.

c.) Adjustment to Saban's style. I really don't know what his style of coaching is, but it needs to work wonders in his first year for the Dolphins to make it back to glory.

All that said, the Ricky Williams soap opera thing surpirses the Hell out of me. I really didn't think he would be back at all. I guess pot taught him a lot, huh?

And yes, the Manny Wright thing is funny as Hell, but when you're playing in the NFL, you need to step it up, which Nick Saban is doing a fine job of getting his players to do.

illumina
07-28-05, 01:23 AM
I think they picked Mike Williams because they are already counting on Chuck being a "dud". I like Detroit only because it's my home state's team and my former classmate is supposed to be the star wide out of the team.

I was thinking the same thing when they first drafted him, but I was also looking at their roster, which didn't look too bad, considering everyone stays healthy. I just feel that Detroit had better needs to fill than Mike Williams at the wide-out spot.

Classmate? Who? Charles Rogers? That must have been fun.

addison_ii
07-28-05, 01:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing when they first drafted him, but I was also looking at their roster, which didn't look too bad, considering everyone stays healthy. I just feel that Detroit had better needs to fill than Mike Williams at the wide-out spot.

Classmate? Who? Charles Rogers? That must have been fun.
Yeah it was alright. I've known him for 11 years. He stayed right next door to my Aunt/Uncle. But I think he needs to step up to the plate and strength train/bulk up or do whatever he needs to do to actually be a contender this year instead of fizzling out again. Another reason for picking up Mike Williams, I think, is because they want to solidify the West Coast style offense.

adam_mcd
07-28-05, 03:17 AM
ok the seahawks, yes they have disappointed. but i dont know if you know, but the seahawks, until as of now, were under poooooor management. the president wouldnt let mike do what he wanted to do. espn once said mike was the coach that had the least amount of freedom as a coach and team management.

ill watch every seahawks, packers, and browns game.

illumina
07-28-05, 03:58 AM
ok the seahawks, yes they have disappointed. but i dont know if you know, but the seahawks, until as of now, were under poooooor management. the president wouldnt let mike do what he wanted to do. espn once said mike was the coach that had the least amount of freedom as a coach and team management.

ill watch every seahawks, packers, and browns game.

When a team has so much difficulty winning a playoff game, somewhere along that line the coach should be responsible (Mike holds an 0-3 postseason record in Seattle). Yes, Mike has had some issues upstairs, but when it comes to winning playoff games, he simply hasn't delivered, which is why they stripped the GM duties from him (that and three sub-par seasons following an AFC West division title in '99). If Holmgren is to win a playoff game under the Seahawks, this season had better be it, or he'll be in line for offensive coordnator somewhere else next season. Many sports writers out there feel that Seattle is in danger of missing the postseason all together, which will not help Holmgren at all if said case comes true (I still think that they'll make it...Barely).

I will agree though that the management may not be giving him all that he needs, and the issues on defense shows that very well. Like who was their big time shut-down corner last season? Did they even send a player to the Pro Bowl last year? Free agent pickups Andre Dyson and Jamie Sharper should help, but we'll see how Rhodes does with them. Ray Rhodes will (should) have a better defense this season, which is why they should do better than last...But will all of that translate into a playoff win? I hope so, because Mike Holmgren has two years left (this season included) on his contract and no extension has been offered that I am aware of.

The Browns though? Another time, another season... :D

illumina
07-30-05, 09:47 PM
Come on people! Am I the only one to be able to hold my own with an ESPN sports writer? Get to posting about your favorite teams!!! :o

SilverCTS
07-31-05, 09:57 AM
I like the Eagles vs the Colts in the Superbowl.

Indy should get the home field advantage this year in the AFC championship game, and that means Peyton Manning won't have to deal with wind, snow, and harsh outdoor elements in an outdoor northeastern stadium. He is good for 400 yards and 4 or 5 touchdowns in the dome.

The Eagles just don't have any serious competition in the NFC...I'm still not sold on Vick and the Falcons.

In terms of the winner, flip a coin...

illumina
07-31-05, 09:44 PM
I like the Eagles vs the Colts in the Superbowl.

Indy should get the home field advantage this year in the AFC championship game, and that means Peyton Manning won't have to deal with wind, snow, and harsh outdoor elements in an outdoor northeastern stadium. He is good for 400 yards and 4 or 5 touchdowns in the dome.

The Eagles just don't have any serious competition in the NFC...I'm still not sold on Vick and the Falcons.

In terms of the winner, flip a coin...

Since I'm a hard-core Eagles fan, I'll say there chances are good :p :D

I only picked the Colts due to the major shift in the AFC: New England lost some serious power with the losses of Weis and Crennel. That's why I picked the Colts this coming season...But the Patriots will still be lethal. I just don't think they'll make it all the way.

Also, I agree with the home field deal for Manning, but he really needs to be clutch against the big teams in the postseason now doesn't he? And the Super Bowl is in Detroit, right? Isn't the new Ford Field out-doors too? If the Eagles do make it, they should have a serious advantage because South Philly and Detroit in the winter can be very similar...

derrty_deville
08-01-05, 04:00 AM
seems kinda odd that randy moss was only mentioned once. i remember the day he was traded. i was depressed as hell. there was little chance that minnesota had the sense to do something useful in the offseason but it seems they got their heads outta their asses and made good moves. their season could still go any way because of all the moves they made. they need to establish a team feel and chemistry. if they do then we have a decent shot at losing another cahmpionship game. man did we get a stacked defense now. i think we might even have a rb that isnt too likely to be high or cripple. i bleed purple but i could care less if they even make the playoffs. id be happy with 2-14. just as long as the 2 w's are against the cheeseheads.

the afc is pretty much colts and pats. is there actually a team soid ehough to beat them? arent the radiers supposed to be good with all that veteran experience on the field. randy just isnt going to last the whole season. they're going to push him for the california crowd and the ankle will give.

the superbowl should be great. outdoors in the cold and snow. the way the game should be played. i think ford has the retractable roof thingy and it will likely be closed so the people that are there just to be there dont get cold. yall know who im talking about.

and lastly, ... the packers still suck.

illumina
08-02-05, 01:03 AM
seems kinda odd that randy moss was only mentioned once. i remember the day he was traded. i was depressed as hell. there was little chance that minnesota had the sense to do something useful in the offseason but it seems they got their heads outta their asses and made good moves. their season could still go any way because of all the moves they made. they need to establish a team feel and chemistry. if they do then we have a decent shot at losing another cahmpionship game. man did we get a stacked defense now. i think we might even have a rb that isnt too likely to be high or cripple. i bleed purple but i could care less if they even make the playoffs. id be happy with 2-14. just as long as the 2 w's are against the cheeseheads.

The big question will be if Culpepper can make the great throws to the receivers they do have. My guess is that he will be able to make them.

The Packers will likely miss out this year. I just don't see them doing much better than .500. They'll certainly be a factor in who wins the division (Vikings) and so on, but just not a great team this year.

the afc is pretty much colts and pats. is there actually a team soid ehough to beat them? arent the radiers supposed to be good with all that veteran experience on the field. randy just isnt going to last the whole season. they're going to push him for the california crowd and the ankle will give.

That's about the size of it: the Colts and the Patriots again. I agree that the Colts should retain homefield this season and this should be their year in the AFC. I think the Chiefs will factor in somewhere too and will likely play spoiler in the postseason, but it is way too soon to tell that. The Chiefs have to show me their defense has improved enough to make it back. I believe thay have a shot to get back though...

As for Moss, he'll make (should make) a great addition to the Raiders. Kerry Collins is a deep passer and Moss will make him look good. But yes, you're right to a degree: they could over-use Moss and he'll be cooked at some point during the season.

The Raiders as a whole is a mystery, Norv Turner has been marginal at best with teams in the past while he was coaching them (Redskins), but he fits in well from what I understand and they'll have an all-around better year this season. I'm just not sure if that will equall playoffs though...We'll see...

As for competition from the AFC, I seriously expect *cringes* the Bengals to be a factor by just making the playoffs. Their offense is young, very talented, and Palmer is the real deal (Palmer's injury at New England is the reason they didn't make it last year). And I should also mention that the core players on offense are in contract for several years. Their defense is young, but should be looking better and by season's end, they will be solid enough to get into the playoffs...

the superbowl should be great. outdoors in the cold and snow. the way the game should be played. i think ford has the retractable roof thingy and it will likely be closed so the people that are there just to be there dont get cold. yall know who im talking about.

and lastly, ... the packers still suck.

That Packers thing might getcha in trouble :suspense: :p

derrty_deville
08-06-05, 07:51 PM
i got tickets for next friday against the cheifs. it will be interseting to see if kc will have enough defense to get somewhere this year. daunte shouldnt be too much of a problem but he has his own knee problem to worry about

moss may not be cooked this year but the time remaining on his career is limited.

i will never apologize for my comments on the cheeseheads. thats just the way it is.

illumina
08-07-05, 01:23 AM
i got tickets for next friday against the cheifs. it will be interseting to see if kc will have enough defense to get somewhere this year. daunte shouldnt be too much of a problem but he has his own knee problem to worry about

KC has the proper personel on defense to make it happen this year. If their offense keeps it up, look for a divison title this year, otherwise the Broncos may get it.

moss may not be cooked this year but the time remaining on his career is limited.

Moss is currently in his prime, but I wonder how the change in teams and offense will affect his game? Yes, the gas will run out sooner rather than later, but we'll see how he holds up this year.

i will never apologize for my comments on the cheeseheads. thats just the way it is.

I say the same thing about the :vomit: ...Cowboys... :brutal: :kick: :hitstick:

mcf1000x2003
08-08-05, 12:27 AM
go cowboys by the way i csant post anything so can someone post this its about peter jennings who i just found out died today

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1015438

illumina
08-22-05, 03:32 PM
Not a single football fan eh? Get with the program people...Post post post!!! :mad2: :mad:

:o

slk230mb
08-22-05, 06:07 PM
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS !!!!!

illumina
08-23-05, 01:07 AM
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS !!!!!

What the Hell is going on with that team anyways? One year their good, then Chad get busted up, then they're bad...Then good all over again. Curtis Martin is the man though!

That's the thing that gets me about them; I just don't know what their identity is right now...

If Pennington stays upright for the whole season, they'll be good enough to challenge the Patriots for the divsion, but they really have to shine to convince me.

illumina
09-13-05, 03:20 AM
AFC:

Patriots: still in the hunt. Won't be as good, but will likely win their division and go deep.

Colts: damn fine offense. Manning is skilled, but has to prove he can take the next step. With the Patriots weakened, this should be his and the Colts' year.

Chargers: 12-4 was pushing it last season. Don't expect that from them this year. They might be 9-7 or 10-6 good, but that's the best they'll do. They'll likely miss the postseason and go 8-8.

Steelers: once again, a disappointment! Like the Chargers last season, their record and success was a bit of a surprise. Don't expect anything close to that record this year. Big Ben will be good in the long run, but may fall back some this season, so expect the Steeler's record to plumit back down to Earth (9-7, might miss out).

Jets: there's something about this team I just don't like. Herm Edwards is a fine coach, and they have talent, but I'll be damed if I can figure them out each season. I'll give them a shot, but don't expect a Super Bowl birth from them.

Broncos: another favorite team of mine, but like the Jets, they're hard to figure. Plummer at QB has been decent, but the team as a whole just has no real identity. They have a chance to win the division if the Cheifs don't come back this year, but Plummer and the rest of the team has to really step it up for them make the postseason and go somewhere with it.

So far I would say that I'm 5-1 on these teams from week 1. The Jets really didn't show me anything, and if they continue to play like they did against the Chiefs, they're done before it even starts.

The Broncos were taken down hard by Miami. History didn't help them, as they've never won in Miami, but that performance was pathetic.

The Chargers gave it all thay had against the Cowboys, but I figured as much...Don't expect 12-4 again this year!

The Patriots looked pretty good. Losses will mount up past 2 this season, but they'll be in it all the way to the AFC championship game...Against the Colts.

Speaking of the Colts, that was a stellar performance by their defense! Ray Lewis and team need to get their karma back if the want to take down the Bengals this year...

The Steelers looked too good. They messed the Titans up hard, and this is the team that I gave a loss to with my 5-1 comment...

NFC:

Eagles: can they repeat and actually win this time? My guess will be yes to at least one part of that two part question. But the Eagles have to get Owens happy and Mcnabb really needs to give a better performance in the bigger games. Thus far, he's been lucky...

Falcons: first year coach, Michael Vick, and a battered division equalled a playoff birth last season. Don't expect their ride to be as easy this year.

Packers: yet another playoff loss at home you say? This team might be dried up and will likely take a back seat to the Vikings this year. Favre is still the man though!

Seahawks: they don't sell me anymore. When Mike Holmgren took over 7 years ago as coach, I expected big and great things from them. Now I don't. They have the talent and all, but they just don't seem to get it. They'll likely be back in the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure we should expect too much from them, no matter how good of a record they might post.

Vikings: a team that, on paper, should be on the rise. Though they lost Randy Moss, they should be better because of huge defensive changes. I'll put them in the top spot for the NFC North crown over the Packers this year.

Rams: they're really pushing it, now aren't they? Their offesne should be more solid this year, but I really don't know if their defense will be up to par yet, so don't expect a 500 point offense and a 12-4 record this year either: they'll likely go 9-7 or worse and flirt with missing the postseason all together.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I ask for your thoughts...

:cool:

3-3 for the NFC thoughts...

The Eagles looked poor on offense during Monday night against the Falcons, but they were within winning distance...Only that distance was the key term there...Defense for both teams hit hard and often, but the Eagles let the Falcons rake in over 200 rushing yards :nono:

The Falcons look better than I thought they would. But I still say their divison is much stronger this year and it may catch up with them.

The Packers are done...Detroit will win Super Bowl 40 and all will be normal next season! Can anyone guess which part of the above statements will be true?

The Seahawks looked plain ugly. I told ya so on them: I'm not sold anymore...

The Vikings and Cullpepper looked like my face does when I wake up on a hangover afternoon. Terrible! I was totally wrong about them! The Bucs showed up and the Vikings have to think about the Bengals next week...Things might be tough for them all of the sudden.

Rams looked like a team in decline. The 49'ers won two games all of last season...Against the Cardinals for both wins. The 49'ers look improved, but the Rams aren't the same team they were 3 years ago...

Thoughts anyone?

davesdeville
09-13-05, 06:59 AM
Last nights Vick/McNabb game I mean Falcons/Eagles game was great. TO just didn't get it done at the end a second year cornerback "was all over him like a cheap suit."

The Chiefs have what it takes to take the AFC west and go deep in the playoffs. I hate the Broncos and they aren't too hot, the Chargers will do alright and may make the playoffs, and the most serious challenge would be the team the Chiefs get to play Sunday night: The Raiders. But I think we have the AFC west covered and are in the top 2 or 3 in the AFC.

LittleB
09-13-05, 12:16 PM
Yeah that was a good game last night....not really a fan of the Falcons but I wanted them to win because I hate T.O.!!

GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!

illumina
09-13-05, 04:23 PM
here we go: Illumina's week two NFL picks...

Eagles over the 49'ers,
Rams over the Cardinals,
Bucs over the Bills,
Saints over the Giants,
Bengals over the Vikings,
Packers over the Browns,
Lions over the Bears,
Cowboys over the Redskins,
Ravens over the Titans,
Colts over the Jaguars,
Steelers over the Texans,
Jets over the Dolphins,
Broncos over the Chargers,
Chiefs over the Raiders.

Upset specials, two-for-one deal:

Panthers over the Patriots,
Seahawks over the Falcons!

Lemme know what ya'll think...

davesdeville
09-13-05, 05:39 PM
Well...

Bears > Lions
Redskins > Cowboys*
Dolphins > Jets
Chargers > Broncos*

Hope you're right on the upsets.

*means my pick may be motivated by sheer hatred for the team I pick to lose.

illumina
09-18-05, 10:42 PM
Well...

Bears > Lions
Redskins > Cowboys*
Dolphins > Jets
Chargers > Broncos*

Hope you're right on the upsets.

*means my pick may be motivated by sheer hatred for the team I pick to lose.

Well, so far I've only called three bad games. Other than that, I am 10-3 with the Chiefs/Raiders game still pending. My two-for-one upset specials came through big :D

As for your picks, I used to go against teams for sheer hatred, but realized that some teams may actually be good, whether I liked it or not. My pick for the Cowboys to beat the Redskins still stands.

Yeah that was a good game last night....not really a fan of the Falcons but I wanted them to win because I hate T.O.!!

GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but today's Eagles/49er's game was a showcase of why the Eagles made the Super Bowl last season and will do so again this year.

illumina
09-19-05, 12:13 AM
There you go Dave, your Chiefs made me 11-3 during Sunday's games!

Let's see how the two Monday night games turn out.

illumina
09-20-05, 12:35 AM
Let's see how the two Monday night games turn out.

Ho-ly shit!

I turned out a sour 11-5 record for my picks in week two. Hopefully I will fare better for week three...

The Saints showed nothing against the Giants and the comeback that the Redskins pulled against the Cowboys was a true classic.

Let's see what next week will hold in my picks...Sometime later this week when I go through the injury reports and the like.

davesdeville
09-20-05, 08:29 AM
You got too much time on your hands bro :p

Elvis
09-20-05, 10:26 AM
How 'bout them COWBOYS?!!!

mattkeavs
09-20-05, 12:00 PM
All right I'll jump in here even though my two time defending chanpion new England Patriots stunk up the joint. Do not expect them to do that again any time soon. They have the toughest schedule for the first 6 weeks of the season, but as usual I expect them to come out on top. As far as the AFC goes I don't know how you can pick anyone but the Patriots. The Raiders are a joke, the Colts can't win a big game, and haven't played any dynamic offenses. The Chiefs could be tough, but Priest isn't lookin glike himself and LJ has to prove he can last a full season. So who's left? Someone mentioned the Jets, but Pennington stinks. The bills could be tough if they learn how to move the ball, Miami....Ricky has no heart and will hurt the team when he gets back. Did I miss anyone?

As far as the NFC goes, its anyone's division to win, but I like the bucs with my boy Cadillac Williams.

Randy_W
09-20-05, 12:32 PM
As far as the AFC goes I don't know how you can pick anyone but the Patriots. I would be worried about the Steelers if it were me!! I'm an NFC guy, but watching what they've done so far, makes it hard to pick against them.;)

illumina
09-20-05, 03:09 PM
All right I'll jump in here even though my two time defending chanpion new England Patriots stunk up the joint. Do not expect them to do that again any time soon. They have the toughest schedule for the first 6 weeks of the season, but as usual I expect them to come out on top. As far as the AFC goes I don't know how you can pick anyone but the Patriots. The Raiders are a joke, the Colts can't win a big game, and haven't played any dynamic offenses. The Chiefs could be tough, but Priest isn't lookin glike himself and LJ has to prove he can last a full season. So who's left? Someone mentioned the Jets, but Pennington stinks. The bills could be tough if they learn how to move the ball, Miami....Ricky has no heart and will hurt the team when he gets back. Did I miss anyone?

As far as the NFC goes, its anyone's division to win, but I like the bucs with my boy Cadillac Williams.

I'll give the Patriots the top seed until they are knocked off in the playoffs, if that so happens. The Patriots happened to have lost to a very good team and that loss was no fluke. It was a great game and the Panthers did quite well. I picked the Colts because defensively, they're much better. If they should get homefield, it will be very difficult to take them down in a dome.

I said in my first post that I did not trust the Steelers to do as well this season, and because it's still very early, that still stands. With the way things are in the AFC North divison, I really expect the *gasp* Bengals to make it to the playoffs this year. They raped the Vikings in every way, and the only reason the score wasn't 51-8 or worse was because thay had two touchdowns called back due to penalties. The Bengals set a franchise record 17 penalties in that game and still beat a playoff team from last year.

If anyone has seen my first post, they will also understand what I said about the Jets. I don't understand their philosophy and I am not expecting them to make the postseason.

As for the Chiefs, I am going to make this prediction: the Chiefs will win the AFC West and go deep in the playoffs. I only needed to see their first two games to make this prediction.

As for the NFC, the Eagles are still the team to beat, as it has been that way for about 4 years now. The Cowboys, judging from Monday night's game, have some things to sort out. But overall, the NFC East is a stronger divison this year which will play a role in how well the Eagles advance in the postseason.

The Falcons are a good team, but again, I'm not sure if they'll be able to have the same results that they achieved last season. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they will in the NFC South from Tampa, but in all honesty, the South is anyone's division this year. This would also include the Saints should they start to play better and find some closure as far as having a place to play.

You got too much time on your hands bro :p

I aim to please :D

Really though, this is one part of the year iI truely enjoy. Did you like my upset specials or what?

davesdeville
09-20-05, 03:53 PM
You're good at callin 'em.

Cheifs vs Broncos on Monday night, this is what it's all about baby! Eagles on 10-2, Patriots on 11-27, the Broncos again and the Raiders again later on too - those are the only games I'm concerned about. The rest of our season is like shooting fish in a barrel (although one or two of those fish will probably bite back.) I say 13-3 is well within reach.

illumina
09-20-05, 04:18 PM
You're good at callin 'em.

Cheifs vs Broncos on Monday night, this is what it's all about baby! Eagles on 10-2, Patriots on 11-27, the Broncos again and the Raiders again later on too - those are the only games I'm concerned about. The rest of our season is like shooting fish in a barrel (although one or two of those fish will probably bite back.) I say 13-3 is well within reach.

13-3 is quite a record to achieve for any team, and thus unlikely. 11-5 is what I was thinking of, but that shouldn't really matter, because if a team is good enough, it doesn't matter what their record is, they're good and in the playoffs for a reason. the Chiefs will make it and go far.

Let's see the Chiefs schedule for the aforementioned games real quick:

They get Philly and New England at home. That is good news for the Chiefs. At Denver on Monday night will be tough, irregardless of if Denver is having a rough start. And the one game that they could let slip is the January 1st game at home against the Bengals. Nobody wants to admit this, but the Bengals will push for a playoff spot, and that last game could determine where both teams end up for the postseason, if any.

mattkeavs
09-20-05, 06:50 PM
With all due respect Illum. For the colts to win Peyton Manning has to learn how to win a big game. the patriots have beat them 4 times (in the dome and in Foxboro) over the last two seasons. That isn't a fluke. The steelers could be tough, but the patriots won 2 AFC Champrionship games on thier field.

As far as what the Patriots have lost, you are correct. Both Coordinators have left. However they should have been hired two years ago if the NFL owners had any clue. So although this is a loss the patriots and Bill Bellichick in particular had two full season to prepare the people he had picked to replace them. A systematic approach that will benefit the team when the current guys are taken away.

At linebacker we lost a key player in Bruschi, but Ted Johnson was a situation player at best so he will be easily replaced.

And l haven't even mentioned that we have the best QB in the league. This point I will not argue.

I actually want to appologize at this point for being an overconfident fan. We here in Boston know the pain too well (Red Sox) of being on the other side of the non-objective fan, but I can't help myself at this point because this team has come through a lot of adversity over the last couple of years and kept winning.

I will say this, the one team that scares me in the AFC is the Chiefs. They can light up a scoreboard. Although Priest Holmes is singlehandedly killing my Fantasy year.

Thats all I got for today. Go Pats!

Elvis
09-20-05, 09:39 PM
Those losses in Foxboro weren't Peyton's fault. The Pats were just that much better. Even with all the turnover this year they still might be the best team out there. The only thing standing in their way right now is chemistry. The Steelers will definitely have that.

illumina
09-20-05, 10:20 PM
With all due respect Illum. For the colts to win Peyton Manning has to learn how to win a big game. the patriots have beat them 4 times (in the dome and in Foxboro) over the last two seasons. That isn't a fluke. The steelers could be tough, but the patriots won 2 AFC Champrionship games on thier field.

As far as what the Patriots have lost, you are correct. Both Coordinators have left. However they should have been hired two years ago if the NFL owners had any clue. So although this is a loss the patriots and Bill Bellichick in particular had two full season to prepare the people he had picked to replace them. A systematic approach that will benefit the team when the current guys are taken away.

At linebacker we lost a key player in Bruschi, but Ted Johnson was a situation player at best so he will be easily replaced.

And l haven't even mentioned that we have the best QB in the league. This point I will not argue.

I actually want to appologize at this point for being an overconfident fan. We here in Boston know the pain too well (Red Sox) of being on the other side of the non-objective fan, but I can't help myself at this point because this team has come through a lot of adversity over the last couple of years and kept winning.

I will say this, the one team that scares me in the AFC is the Chiefs. They can light up a scoreboard. Although Priest Holmes is singlehandedly killing my Fantasy year.

Thats all I got for today. Go Pats!

You arrogant New Englander!!! :D :p

Tom Brady is good, but the comment on him being the best is somewhat subjective. I realize that he has his three rings and all, but there is no single best QB in the league. There are a handful that are certainly above the rest, and Brady fits into that catagory.

Here's a top-5 list of QB's that are the best right now. There is no particular order they should be in: they're all very good:

Peyton Manning,
Donovan McNabb,
Brett Favre,
Tom Brady,
Trent Green.

Dante Cullpepper would be on that list, but he has to do far better than 8 pics in his first two games without Randy Moss to convince me.

As for Priest Holmes having a so-so year thus far, he's coming off of a serious injury that kept him out of the final 8 games last season. Give him time and keep him in your fantasy league roster and he will not disappoint.

Those losses in Foxboro weren't Peyton's fault. The Pats were just that much better. Even with all the turnover this year they still might be the best team out there. The only thing standing in their way right now is chemistry. The Steelers will definitely have that.

I agree. I didn't have them losing too much and I stated before that they are the team that will give the Colts fits right up till' the end of the season and beyond. I just have this gut feeling though they will not be the world champs after this season is over.

illumina
09-20-05, 11:03 PM
Ok. Week three has some good matchups, so this week might be tough on my picks...

Illumina's week three picks:

Falcons over the Bills,
Panthers over the Dolphins,
Bengals over the Bears,
Colts over the Browns,
Jaguars over the Jets,
Saints over the Vikings,
Eagles over the Raiders,
Buccaneers over the Packers,
Rams over the Titans,
Seahawks over the Cardinals,
Cowboys over the 49ers,
Steelers over the Patriots.

Another two-for-one upset special weekend:

Chargers over the Giants,
Broncos over the Chiefs (sorry Dave, I have to give this one a shot).

fast66
09-21-05, 12:20 AM
Go Chargers!!!

illumina
09-21-05, 12:33 AM
Go Chargers!!!

I predicted that they wouldn't do quite as well this season, but thus far they've played two very close games against decent teams only to come up short in the final minutes of those two games.

I picked them in my upset special to beat the Giants this coming Sunday, not because I'm a Chargers fan, but because they are against the ropes at the moment and the Giants have played a weak team in the Cardinals at home and picked on a team that has been misplaced from their home in the Saints in a so-called 'road' game. It will catch up with the Giants to play a much better team that has to win.

LittleB
09-21-05, 12:35 AM
My team got KILLED on Sunday...this is not good. I hope it's not a reflection of what the rest of the season may bring. :nono: :banghead:

Ralph
09-21-05, 12:38 AM
GO RoughRiders.......oh nevermind. :hide:

illumina
09-21-05, 12:58 AM
My team got KILLED on Sunday...this is not good. I hope it's not a reflection of what the rest of the season may bring. :nono: :banghead:

Don't worry, it's not going to be that bad this year. I do not expect the 49ers to make the postseason, but they should be improved by season's end. Don't expect another 2-14 season from them. I'm thinking more on the lines of 6-10, which is one Hell of an improvement over last year.

LittleB
09-21-05, 01:02 AM
Don't worry, it's not going to be that bad this year. I do not expect the 49ers to make the postseason, but they should be improved by season's end. Don't expect another 2-14 season from them. I'm thinking more on the lines of 6-10, which is one Hell of an improvement over last year.

I will be happy with 6-10 so long as the Raiders do just as bad, or worse :D I agree though, we can't possibly be as bad as we were last year. I can live with 6-10, actually i could deal with 2-14 again as long as it was a good game. Last Sunday was just HORRIBLE, I mean 42 to 3? C'mon... :banghead: :wtf: :ripped:

illumina
09-21-05, 01:05 AM
GO RoughRiders.......oh nevermind. :hide:

Canuckle football? Sorry, I don't know anything about those teams...But if you'd like to, please add something to the thread about your teams...

Ralph
09-21-05, 01:06 AM
Canuckle football? Sorry, I don't know anything about those teams...But if you'd like to, please add something to the thread about your teams...

We only get 3 downs to move the ball 10 yards, you get 4. ;)

illumina
09-21-05, 01:09 AM
I will be happy with 6-10 so long as the Raiders do just as bad, or worse :D I agree though, we can't possibly be as bad as we were last year. I can live with 6-10, actually i could deal with 2-14 again as long as it was a good game. Last Sunday was just HORRIBLE, I mean 42 to 3? C'mon... :banghead: :wtf: :ripped:

The Eagles had a lot to prove on Sunday, and the 49ers were just an unfortunate part of that equation. As for the Raiders, they have a hole to dig out of because of their home loss to KC. And guess who they have next? The Eagles........At Philly........ :crying: < Raiders fans........

LittleB
09-21-05, 01:12 AM
The Eagles had a lot to prove on Sunday, and the 49ers were just an unfortunate part of that equation. As for the Raiders, they have a hole to dig out of because of their home loss to KC. And guess who they have next? The Eagles........At Philly........ :crying: < Raiders fans........

Well i hope the Raiders get killed by the Eagles too!

p.s. I HATE T.O.

illumina
09-21-05, 01:17 AM
Well i hope the Raiders get killed by the Eagles too!

p.s. I HATE T.O.

Believe me when I say this; being a huge Eagles fan, I am not at all happy with Terrell Owens either. I think he is nothing but a whining punk, but I'll give him one thing: the man puts up the numbers! I will also add that if T.O. has another great season for Philly, he will likely get his desired contract after the season has ended.

Also, I can certainly understand why you dislike the man so much.

davesdeville
09-21-05, 03:15 AM
Broncos/Chiefs is going to be a good one no matter who wins. I'm just not sure Denver has the chemistry between the players to get it done, even in mile high. We shall see.

Randy_W
09-21-05, 08:03 AM

You might not argue it, but a lot of people that know football and many that don't, will!:bigroll:

jspano
09-21-05, 08:15 AM
canadian foot ball 3 downs..... sounds french
i don't want to start trouble i'll just give up

GO BUCS 2-0

jspano

mattkeavs
09-21-05, 10:34 AM

If Manning gets the credit for the wins he has to take the blame for the losses. After all it is Manning that can't read the defense. Plus in the AFC championship game the Pats were starting an undrafted rookie at CB and a wide reciever at Nickel back. The MVP should be able to handle that.

Also I'm not sure the chemistry thing is a factor with New England. They lost one player due to injury and he is still involved with the team. Even claiming that he will play next year.

mattkeavs
09-21-05, 10:42 AM
You might not argue it, but a lot of people that know football and many that don't, will!:bigroll:

Well lets begin the discussion with;

Who leads the league in Super Bowl apppearances?

Super bowl wins?

Super bowl MVP's?

How about Carreer winning%?

Well that last one may be Big Ben but I think my point is made

Randy_W
09-21-05, 01:36 PM
Who leads the league in Super Bowl apppearances?

Super bowl wins?

Super bowl MVP's?
Terry Bradshaw!!:yup:

Of course Jim Kelly went to 4 SB's, but Terry won all 4, and Troy aikman was the winningest QB of any single decade. I'm not saying your guy ain't good, but he ain't the greatest ever, at least not yet!

Elvis
09-21-05, 02:37 PM
If Manning gets the credit for the wins he has to take the blame for the losses. After all it is Manning that can't read the defense. Plus in the AFC championship game the Pats were starting an undrafted rookie at CB and a wide reciever at Nickel back. The MVP should be able to handle that.

Also I'm not sure the chemistry thing is a factor with New England. They lost one player due to injury and he is still involved with the team. Even claiming that he will play next year.

I doubt you'll find a quarterback in the NFL who can read defenses better than Peyton Manning. Usually when someone tries to pile it on one player like that, it's because they've been burned by him at some point or another, or they have a tremendous amount of respect or fear for him.

Manning doesn't try to take credit for the wins by himself. I've never seen that. He does personally take blame for losses though, even when it's not warranted. I have seen him do that. He's a smart player, and a mediocre athlete with an arm that has been developed for over 25 years. Once he loses that, he'll be in the broadcast booth. It happened to Bradshaw.

It's generally acknowledged that Manning could've broken that touchdown pass record three times by now but hasn't because he holds back and plays conservatively.

It doesn't matter whether the CB is undrafted or who's playing nickel back. The Pats as a team were better. Everyone knew that going into each of the past two seasons. Everyone also knew that the Colts defense has sucked ever since Manning got there. They may have fixed it this year, we'll just have to wait and see.

Unless they have home field advantage, dome teams and good weather teams usually get thumped in the playoffs. It's always been that way.

Marino made one Super Bowl. Jim Kelly made four straight. That just doesn't seem right, but that's the way things break down.

illumina
09-21-05, 03:31 PM
Unless they have home field advantage, dome teams and good weather teams usually get thumped in the playoffs. It's always been that way.

Marino made one Super Bowl. Jim Kelly made four straight. That just doesn't seem right, but that's the way things break down.

I agree. Dome teams with homefield usually go pretty far. Look at St. Louis in '99 and '01 and Atlanta in '98 (the Vikes had homefield that year, but in a dome). They played in domes only and both teams made the big one.

New England does well in their element during the postseason, and that means that they will win. But another team that can play well in the winter is KC, and I expect big things from them now.

Also look at John Elway: 5 Superbowls (only 2 wins) and they were one of the best outdoor teams in those days. San Francisco though was just plain badass, and they were a good weather team so-to-speak. But keep in mind that travelling out west during the playoffs (49ers usually had homefield) taxed teams greatly.

Elvis
09-21-05, 06:40 PM
I think St. Louis was the first dome team to ever make the Super Bowl.

I remember a couple years Houston was really good with Stabler and Earl Campbell but they fell in Pittsburgh. I don't know HOW many times the Dolphins had to go up north, either to Pittsburgh or Boston. Same thing happened to the Raiders a couple times in the 70's.

The Vikings went to 4 Super Bowls before they moved into the dome. Haven't been back since.

If you really want to go back a long way, look at the Packers under Lombardi. The "frozen tundra" of Lambeau Field was legendary. Now I think they have a heating system under the turf to soften it up.

Football was meant to be played outside in the elements. If the fans suffer, so what?

LaneWvr
09-21-05, 10:17 PM
My pick is the Chiefs, they fixed the D. They killed the jets, not a big deal, and they beat the Raiders at home which is hard. They had hard time covering Moss, but so does everyone. But with no more injuries we'll be big contenders. Look out!

Boombotz
09-21-05, 10:32 PM
Watch out for them Buc's. Defense looks strong and Cadillac Williams is a play maker.

illumina
09-22-05, 12:24 AM
I think St. Louis was the first dome team to ever make the Super Bowl.

St. Louis was the first dome team to win a Super Bowl, but Atlanta the season before was the first dome team to make it to the big game. They were soundly beaten by Denver that season.

Watch out for them Buc's. Defense looks strong and Cadillac Williams is a play maker.

The Buccaneers are one of my 'dark horse' picks to take the NFC South from Atlanta, but the season is long and that division is very strong, so who knows. Just don't expect a bad season from them again.

illumina
09-25-05, 06:12 PM
Ok. Week three has some good matchups, so this week might be tough on my picks...

Illumina's week three picks:

Falcons over the Bills,
Panthers over the Dolphins,
Bengals over the Bears,
Colts over the Browns,
Jaguars over the Jets,
Saints over the Vikings,
Eagles over the Raiders,
Buccaneers over the Packers,
Rams over the Titans,
Seahawks over the Cardinals,
Cowboys over the 49ers,
Steelers over the Patriots.

Another two-for-one upset special weekend:

Chargers over the Giants,
Broncos over the Chiefs (sorry Dave, I have to give this one a shot).

My early games came out at 7 wins and 2 losses. The Dolphins-Panthers game was one Hell of a game...I think I'm done calling games in the Saint's favor. We'll also see how the later games and the night game turn out, as thus far, the Seahawks are the only team showing up like I had predicted.

Elvis
09-25-05, 10:08 PM
What? the Steelers beat the Patriots? How could that happen?

The Colts are undefeated? That can't be!

illumina
09-25-05, 11:16 PM
What? the Steelers beat the Patriots? How could that happen?

:hmm:

The Colts are undefeated? That can't be!

Yup. I'm not very impressed, but a win is a win, right?

The evening games have made me 9-3 on the day. The ESPN night game is still pending, and it was one of my upset specials...

LittleB
09-25-05, 11:26 PM
Man the niners are KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the Raiders lost also so it makes me feel better :D

illumina
09-25-05, 11:57 PM
Man the niners are KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the Raiders lost also so it makes me feel better :D

The 49ers are very young and they need to learn how to finish games. They'll improve as the season goes on...

As for the Raiders/Eagles game, that was too damned close for me! Let's hope the Eagles will get better at cementing games as the season wears on.

With just two minutes left in the Chargers/Giants game, the Chargers have a 22 point lead...Consider my picks for Sunday at 10 wins and 3 losses, with two of those losses being decided by a field goal.

LittleB
09-26-05, 12:00 AM
The 49ers are very young and they need to learn how to finish games. They'll improve as the season goes on...

Rattay is like...scared that they might actually win a game LOL!! He get's all nervous..instead of thinkin "We got you!" he thinks "Oh my god, we HAVE to win" and he tries too hard. He needs to quit with those damn interceptions in the 4TH QUARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crybaby: :cookoo:

illumina
09-26-05, 01:40 AM
Rattay is like...scared that they might actually win a game LOL!! He get's all nervous..instead of thinkin "We got you!" he thinks "Oh my god, we HAVE to win" and he tries too hard. He needs to quit with those damn interceptions in the 4TH QUARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crybaby: :cookoo:

With all due respect, the loss was not all of Rattay's fault. The 49er defense broke down at critical moments while they had a lead. There is always the play-calling that factors into the way Rattay played today with that lead: instead of running the ball and taking precious time off of the clock, they had him pass...Not that the pic near the end wasn't his fault, but there are several other variables that come into play here, and the way the defense broke down is a factor of them being very young and a little below average, especially on the D-line outside of Bryant Young.

fast66
09-26-05, 03:38 AM
Go Chargers!!! Screw Eli!!!!

Elvis
09-26-05, 09:44 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize that those were predictions. I thought those were results.

I thought the Pats won, but when I read "Steelers over Patriots" It threw me.

mattkeavs
09-26-05, 02:39 PM
Terry Bradshaw!!:yup:

Of course Jim Kelly went to 4 SB's, but Terry won all 4, and Troy aikman was the winningest QB of any single decade. I'm not saying your guy ain't good, but he ain't the greatest ever, at least not yet!

Sorry Randy, I was talking about active players.

Great point though. Now lets look at the 80's, would you rather have Marino or Montana?

illumina
09-26-05, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that those were predictions. I thought those were results.

I thought the Pats won, but when I read "Steelers over Patriots" It threw me.

That's what I was figuring when you said that. Yup. I make predicitons from time to time...My overall record (tonight not included yet) is 21 wins, 8 losses through 29 games this season (I didn't post any actual picks for week 1, so it's 29 games from week two until now).

illumina
09-26-05, 03:35 PM

Great point though. Now lets look at the 80's, would you rather have Marino or Montana?

'70's: Bradshaw,
'80's: Montana,
'90's: Favre,
'00's: Brady so far...

Elvis
09-26-05, 04:10 PM
Put either Manning in Boston and you get four Super Bowl rings instead of three. If ever there was a right place, right time scenario, it lined up for Brady in Boston.

70's Staubach or Stabler
80's Marino
90's Favre
00's Manning

Running the ball effectively and playing defense win you Super Bowls. See also Parcells, Bill and Gibbs, Joe.

Randy_W
09-26-05, 04:54 PM

I'd go with Joe if I had to win one game, I'd go with Dan for the fun, though!:cool2:

illumina
09-26-05, 11:05 PM
Put either Manning in Boston and you get four Super Bowl rings instead of three. If ever there was a right place, right time scenario, it lined up for Brady in Boston.

70's Staubach or Stabler
80's Marino
90's Favre
00's Manning

Running the ball effectively and playing defense win you Super Bowls. See also Parcells, Bill and Gibbs, Joe.

You could always put Tarkenton in that list for the 1970's too. Also, see Mike Shanahan for winning Super Bowls with a very solid running game. Two Super Bowls in a row where Terrell Davis won the Super Bowl MVP on their first win after an 1800-plus yard season, and he then won the league MVP the following year when Denver took their second Super Bowl victory. He had over 2000 yards during the '98-'99 season.

Speaking of the Broncos, ouch! Sorry Dave, but it's 20-3 with Denver on top of KC...My second upset special pick might just make my upset special record undeafeated thus far... :suspense: :p

Elvis
09-26-05, 11:29 PM
Good call on Shanahan. Elway lost three Super Bowls on his own. TD made it possible to win.

mattkeavs
09-26-05, 11:36 PM
Elvis,
Do you mean peyton and Eli, or Peyton and Archie, or Eli and Archie?
Also
Did you go to Old Miss or Tennessee?

And I'm sorry, but the right time right place comment doesn't seem to fit. If that was the case Bledsoe would have won a Super Bowl in 2000. After all they had mostly the same players between those two seasons. But some how the team improved as soon as Brady took over. Not to mention Brady hasn't had a reciever nearly as good as Marvin Harrison.

But my big problem with Peyton is his in-ability to win a big game. He couldn't beat Florida when he was at Tennesee, and he can't beat the patriots now.

Tom Brady will never lead the league in Passing, or QB rating, but his ability to play in the clutch can't be questioned. He has never lost a playoff game, (this may be true of overtime games as well).

Would you rather have a QB who sets a touchdown record, or one who wins big games.

And yes I am naming my firstborn Tombrady, all one word so mr brady gets the proper respect.

illumina
09-27-05, 12:38 AM
Elvis,
Also

And I'm sorry, but the right time right place comment doesn't seem to fit. If that was the case Bledsoe would have won a Super Bowl in 2000. After all they had mostly the same players between those two seasons. But some how the team improved as soon as Brady took over. Not to mention Brady hasn't had a reciever nearly as good as Marvin Harrison.

But my big problem with Peyton is his in-ability to win a big game. He couldn't beat Florida when he was at Tennesee, and he can't beat the patriots now.

Tom Brady will never lead the league in Passing, or QB rating, but his ability to play in the clutch can't be questioned. He has never lost a playoff game, (this may be true of overtime games as well).

Would you rather have a QB who sets a touchdown record, or one who wins big games.

And yes I am naming my firstborn Tombrady, all one word so mr brady gets the proper respect.

Whoa there buddy, Tombrady for your first born? Yikes :thehand: :p

Yes, there is NO question about Tom's abilities to win when it matters. If he should be hurt this season, the Patriots will be in serious trouble. His play against the Steelers yesterday in the fourth quarter was perfect and should prove my point if you think about it. They don't have the luxury of a good backup, except Doug Flutie, who is hanging on by a bottle of Geritol Extend vitamins.

As for Manning, I too wonder if he'll ever get his ring. My gut feeling is that he will, but not this season. The Colts have enough players that will be around (see young, improving defense) long enough to give him that chance.

davesdeville
09-27-05, 05:47 AM
Damn KC defense fell apart and offensive line was like a sieve. Broncos were shifting their offensive line away from the direction the ball was going and KC didn't do a thing about it. I could hardly count the number of times Green was hit or at least pressured and had to get rid of it prematurely.

Bah.

Elvis
09-27-05, 10:52 AM
Elvis,
Also

Ole Miss is less than an hour from my house, and Memphis State is about 45 minutes. I could've commuted to either place, but I went to Memphis in the early 80's when they had a great basketball team. I had a choice between Memphis, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi State (I hated Ole Miss) and I chose Memphis because I had a good job and liked the free basketball tickets!

I'll revise my statement--any of the THREE Mannings could've done it in the right situation. I wasn't thinking about Archie, but you can ask any quarterback who played in the 70's who the BEST in the league was (other than themselves) and they'll tell you it was Archie. Stabler put it in his book, I've heard Bradshaw interviewed on the topic, and I've read Staubach making similar comments. They all had a tremendous amount of respect for the red head.

Don't judge Peyton just yet. This is the first year they've prioritized DEFENSE. Let's see what happens. If they don't get it done this year, I may be inclined to agree with you.

I watched Eli on Sunday night. That kid has more potential than Peyton, but I'll bet he doesn't spend 1/4th the time watching film that Peyton watches.

Archie was all gut, all instinct, with uncanny scrambling ability like Tarkenton. He's one of the reasons I hated Ole Miss. They worship Archie Manning and Johnny Vaught (still going strong at 94) even more than the Alabama fans worship Bear Bryant.

The list of QB's I gave earlier were my personal favorites. These are the guys I would pay to see and sit through a blizzard for.

But in all honesty, if I had to pick a guy to win ONE game in a life/death situation, in horrible conditions, knowing they were probably going to get sacked ten times--

I'd pick Bradshaw and Favre.

Unitas was a little before my time, but he'd be a close third.

illumina
09-27-05, 10:24 PM
The Monday night game has put me at 22 wins and 8 losses for the season...I'll start to work on my picks for week four.

Elvis, the only thing that concerns me about Peyton Manning is that when he is facing a better team like New England, he sometimes appears rattled when he's in the pocket and such. It's like he's trying too hard to figure out the Blitz packages that are coming against him right before the play and the coverages that are taking his deep options away during the play.

But as far as the Colts defense goes, they are impressing me for sure!

Elvis
09-27-05, 10:28 PM
You can tell when they're getting to Peyton. He gets happy feet.

Calls way too damn many audibles on the road in front of a hostile crowd, too.

illumina
09-27-05, 10:35 PM
You can tell when they're getting to Peyton. He gets happy feet.

Calls way too damn many audibles on the road in front of a hostile crowd, too.

Yup. The "happy feet" thing is exactly what I was talking about. I do realize that Manning is probably the single most intelligent QB in the league right now, but sometimes all of that thinking takes it's toll on his play in the bigger games, hence the audibles and such.

SilverCTS
09-27-05, 10:59 PM
I haven't been on in a while--so I missed most of this thread...

I still like the Eagles & Colts in the Superbowl.

Nothing has changed after week 3.

However, I am a little concerned about McNabb's health though. I think they should sit him this week and possibily next. KC has a weak defense--so that is a good opportunity to play Detmer and still win. I'll also take my chances against Dallas as well. It would be a lot of fun to beat Dallas with a backup QB anyway.
:woohoo:
After Dallas, the Eagles have an off week. That should give him plenty of time to heal.

Indy looks tough. If they ever get their offense going (which will certainly happen), they look absolutely scary.

By the way, as you can see by my signature, I'm a huge Eagles fan as well.

illumina
09-27-05, 11:04 PM
I haven't been on in a while--so I missed most of this thread...

I still like the Eagles & Colts in the Superbowl.

Nothing has changed after week 3.

However, I am a little concerned about McNabb's health though. I think they should sit him this week and possibily next. KC has a weak defense--so that is a good opportunity to play Detmer and still win. I'll also take my chances against Dallas as well. It would be a lot of fun to beat Dallas with a backup QB anyway.
:woohoo:
After Dallas, the Eagles have an off week. That should give him plenty of time to heal.

Indy looks tough. If they ever get their offense going (which will certainly happen), they look absolutely scary.

By the way, as you can see by my signature, I'm a huge Eagles fan as well.

I'm an Eagles fan, but I think that KC will come out strong Sunday and we'll have one Hell of a game to play. Detmer may be the better choice for the Eagles on that game so that when needed again, he'll have some renewed experience to fall back on.

SilverCTS
09-27-05, 11:17 PM
I'm an Eagles fan, but I think that KC will come out strong Sunday and we'll have one Hell of a game to play. Detmer may be the better choice for the Eagles on that game so that when needed again, he'll have some renewed experience to fall back on.

I agree. KC at home after an embarrassing loss on Monday night won't be easy. They won't be in a good mood. KC is tough at home anyway. Plus, teams (all NFL teams, not just KC) seem to rebound after losses like that.

If we can just keep their fans out of the game and smack them around a bit, we should be able to pull it out.

Darwin Walker is out as well--so that doesn't help even though Mike Patterson looks like a good player...

illumina
09-28-05, 01:39 AM
I agree. KC at home after an embarrassing loss on Monday night won't be easy. They won't be in a good mood. KC is tough at home anyway. Plus, teams (all NFL teams, not just KC) seem to rebound after losses like that.

If we can just keep their fans out of the game and smack them around a bit, we should be able to pull it out.

Darwin Walker is out as well--so that doesn't help even though Mike Patterson looks like a good player...

Patterson is a fine draft pick in my opinion, but he's still a rookie. with Priest Holmes having an off night Monday, he, as well as KC offensive coordinator Al Saunders will be looking right at that tackle spot to see if they can make plays there. With that slight void, the Eagles might be pressed to commit a Safety in the box at times to keep tabs on Holmes (Johnson too), thus taking away, or at lease minimizing, the Safety Blitz that the Eagles like to use.

I personally wouldn't want to be the guy that gives Trent Green a good night in the pocket by moving a Safety to the box to contain the run, so let's hope that Patterson or whoever takes Walker's place is up to the challenge.

Elvis
09-28-05, 11:15 AM
Yup. The "happy feet" thing is exactly what I was talking about. I do realize that Manning is probably the single most intelligent QB in the league right now, but sometimes all of that thinking takes it's toll on his play in the bigger games, hence the audibles and such.

That's why I think Eli in the right situation. He's more like the father, he goes with his gut and just plays the damn game.

In 1996 Peyton and the Vols came to Memphis to play two or three games. One was against Ole Miss and he humiliated them. Another was against Memphis, who had something like a 2-7 record.

Memphis completely changed their defense just to frustrate Peyton. He got sacked three or four times, intercepted twice. By the third quarter Peyton was clumsily dancing all over the field waiting to get hit. I was sitting on the third row, 40 yard line behind the Tennessee bench. Peyton was cussing on the phone at the guys in the booth.

21-17 Memphis. It's the only time Memphis ever beat Tennessee.

illumina
09-28-05, 03:01 PM
That's why I think Eli in the right situation. He's more like the father, he goes with his gut and just plays the damn game.

My thoughts exactly. Eli's game at San diego was very impressive despite the "Name the score" turnout of the game and the pressure of the crowd. In my opinion, he's better under pressure and will be a clutch performer for many years to come, although I don't foresee him ever getting the numbers that big brother is used to.

mattkeavs
09-28-05, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear for you Philly guys McNabb is hurt and need surgery. You may get your wish with Detmer aftereall.

illumina
09-28-05, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear for you Philly guys McNabb is hurt and need surgery. You may get your wish with Detmer aftereall.

All Detmer needs to do is go in and not lose the game...That's it...

As for McNabb, last I checked he was still considering playing, but I would rather see him sit a few weeks instead of aggravating the injury and being permanently hurt.

mattkeavs
09-29-05, 09:29 PM
Long term he'll be betteer off sitting out, but he is a gamer!

illumina
09-29-05, 10:39 PM
Long term he'll be betteer off sitting out, but he is a gamer!

He won't though because he's the team leader and he feels that the team has a better chance when he plays. What trait does that show we ask? Simple, McNabb's heart is in the game as much as any one else's.

illumina
09-30-05, 03:10 PM
for the two people that are interested in my picks, here goes for week four:

Saints over Bills,
Buccaneers over Lions,
Colts over Titans,
Bengals over Texans,
Chiefs over Eagles,
Seahawks over Redskins,
Giants over Rams,
Ravens over Jets,
Raiders over Cowboys,
Falcons over Vikings,
Cardinals over 49ers,
Jaguars over Broncos,
Panthers over Packers...

Upset special:

Chargers over Patriots...I relaize that I'm nuts, but I'm 4-0 so far with the upsets, so I have to try and lose one to look normal, right?

illumina
09-30-05, 03:13 PM
Damn KC defense fell apart and offensive line was like a sieve. Broncos were shifting their offensive line away from the direction the ball was going and KC didn't do a thing about it. I could hardly count the number of times Green was hit or at least pressured and had to get rid of it prematurely.

Bah.

The thing that I like about Trent Green is that when he gets flustered like he was in Denver, he doesn't normally make the game-breaking mistake that other QB's tend to make. He just gets out of his rhythm.

fast66
10-02-05, 04:06 PM
CHARGERS!!!! no more playing games here we are out to WIN!!!

illumina
10-02-05, 05:20 PM
CHARGERS!!!! no more playing games here we are out to WIN!!!

Hehe...I am starting to scare myself with these upset specials of mine. So far today I'm at 6 wins, 2 losses. The evening games are proving to give me one Hell of a weekend for my picks...:D

fast66
10-02-05, 05:32 PM
I was planning to bet on this game, anyone know any sites?

Elvis
10-02-05, 07:26 PM
The Manning brothers had a huge day today.

Cowboys almost pulled one out, Bledsoe made a bad throw at the end.

How in the F--- did the Patriots lose today?

fast66
10-02-05, 09:07 PM
How in the F--- did the Patriots lose today?

2 Letters!! LT!!

illumina
10-02-05, 09:52 PM
The Eagles really impressed me. I figured KC to come out strong and win that game, which early on it looked as if they would. Didn't happen...

The Chargers have had back-to-back blowout wins over pretty good teams, but the victory (is that the right term?) over the Patriots was plain nuts. I picked the Chargers to win, but not like that...

That said, with KC going down, Sunday's games put me at 9 wins and 3 losses with the ESPN game and Monday Night Football still pending. So far this season I'm 31-11 on my picks with my upset specials going 5-0...I hope someone has gone to Vegas with my picks :D

Stoneage_Caddy
10-02-05, 10:18 PM
me thinks m,y bucsa suvcked today ....how gives a shit ,,,,,gimme andother coors

illumina
10-02-05, 10:51 PM
me thinks m,y bucsa suvcked today ....how gives a shit ,,,,,gimme andother coors

The Bucs may have nearly laid an egg, but they still won and they are a rather pleasant surprise this season. Cadillac Williams, though banged up today and was a little off, is one Hell of a player and they're just plain getting it done like they did when they won the Superbowl. Only this time they have a decent runner...So Stoney, don't worry, I'm going to make an early season prediction: the Bucs will make the playoffs...

Stoneage_Caddy
10-02-05, 10:52 PM
kickiass

illumina
10-03-05, 12:14 AM
Through four weeks, I have been 32-11 in my picks, going 10-3 on Sunday. The ESPN game at Mexico City gave me my final victory for the day with the Cardinals routing the 49ers...Maybe I'm in the wrong business, huh?

After Tomorrow's game, I'll give my take on the first quarter of the season thus far...Let's put it like this; it's been interesting!

davesdeville
10-03-05, 07:56 AM
Yep. I give up on football. I do it every season about the 5th or 6th week in, this one's a little early actually. Better luck next year.

illumina
10-03-05, 02:55 PM
Yep. I give up on football. I do it every season about the 5th or 6th week in, this one's a little early actually. Better luck next year.

Ok, so the Chiefs likely won't be going 13-3, but they should make the postseason nonetheless...Don't give up on them just yet Dave.

mattkeavs
10-04-05, 02:28 PM
the Patriots stink. I officially retract any statements to the contrary.

unless they win this weekend.

illumina
10-04-05, 05:14 PM
33 wins and 11 losses for my picks...Not too damned bad!

Sorry for the bragging, but what the Hell, right?

Anyways, most teams have played 4 games, 8 teams have only played 3...But the quarter season mark is here and I shall give my take on the situation in the NFC in breif for now...

NFC East:

The Eagles are still the strongest team in that conference, but the Giants and Redskins are doing well too, and much to my surprise I might add. Though those three teams are showing fine records, I would be more convinced to see them play better teams. Philly did their job in KC and the Redskins against Seattle. New York hasn't really played a good team and won: the good team they did play beat the Hell out of them! Dallas was a team that I considered the most improved on paper, but alas, they just haven't been getting it done.

NFC South:

The Falcons are a little surprising because I didn't feel they would be as good as last year's team. Thus far, they've done well to prove me wrong on them. And speaking of surprises, where in the Hell did the Bucs come from? Carnell "Cadillac" Williams was well worth the pick, and their 4-0 record is showing it. The Panthers are about where I figured them to be as well as the Saints.

NFC North:

Are any of the teams in that division worth the powder it would take to blow them to Hell?

The Vikings were my pick to win the division, but the only thing they've won is my "Bone-head" team of the year award thus far. The Packers as advertised appear finished, and the Lions are too inconsistent. The Bears don't sell me either but their defense might win them the division crown...So when an 8-8 team (Chicago) wins this division, don't be surprised...

NFC West:

Talk about another weak division. When the Seahawks played at the Redskins on Sunday, I really expected them to smell the pouring of the blood in their division and step up their game: they didn't do it. The Rams are doing about as expected with their inconsistency and the 49ers aren't very good at all. At least the Cardinals opened things up against the 49ers on their way to winning the NFC West title later on in the season....Unless the Seahawks show up finally.

Any thoughts so far?

I'll get to my AFC analysis later on this evening...

Randy_W
10-04-05, 05:24 PM
Talk about another weak division. When the Seahawks played at the Redskins on Sunday, I really expected them to smell the pouring of the blood in their division and step up their game: they didn't do it.

Could it be because they played one of the best defenses in the league?:bigroll:

illumina
10-04-05, 11:03 PM
Could it be because they played one of the best defenses in the league?:bigroll:

The 'Skins certainly have a fine defense, and my comment on "smelling blood" was geared towards the NFC West in which I hope you understood it that way. In other words, Seattle needed to be clutch when it mattered, yet they were not.

Randy_W
10-05-05, 07:24 AM
I knew what you meant. Knowing you should do something and being able to, are not the same, though. Washington will have a test this week with Denver, though they certainly know Jake the Snake well enough.

illumina
10-05-05, 04:30 PM
I knew what you meant. Knowing you should do something and being able to, are not the same, though. Washington will have a test this week with Denver, though they certainly know Jake the Snake well enough.

Seattle should be able to with the offensive talent that they have, but like I said before, they don't sell me because having all of those players and a good coach hasn't translated into wins. If you go to page one on my first post, you'll understand exactly what I mean.

Therefore with the talent they have, they should be able to win more than they lose, and with the coaching, they should know how to win the close games, which they have not.

illumina
10-08-05, 01:24 AM
My picks for week 5...Hopefully I get them all right this time :D

Ravens over Lions,
Browns over Bears,
Dolphins over Bills,
Falcons over Patriots,
Rams over Seahawks,
Bucs over Jets,
Titans over Texans,
Colts over 49ers,
Eagles over Cowboys,
Broncos over Redskins,
Bengals over Jaguars,
Chargers over Steelers,

Upset special...Ya'lls gonna like this one...

Cardinals over Panthers...!

Thoughts?

illumina
10-09-05, 10:51 PM
My picks for week 5...Hopefully I get them all right this time :D

Ravens over Lions,
Browns over Bears,
Dolphins over Bills,
Falcons over Patriots,
Rams over Seahawks,
Bucs over Jets,
Titans over Texans,
Colts over 49ers,
Eagles over Cowboys,
Broncos over Redskins,
Bengals over Jaguars,
Chargers over Steelers,

Upset special...Ya'lls gonna like this one...

Cardinals over Panthers...!

Thoughts?

My abilities to use the force to predict NFL games has diminished...:helpless:

4 wins and 7 losses so far...:nono:

And I have also determined that the Eagles will lose the rest of their games and be a 3-13 team this year... :suspect:

davesdeville
10-10-05, 04:10 AM
Hey, KC managed to not lose today...

Ralph
10-10-05, 04:13 AM
Hey, KC managed to not lose today...

Hey Dave, clear your pm box! :thumbsup:

Oh ya, and Roughriders all the way! :highfive:

fast66
10-16-05, 04:49 PM
Did anyone see that jacksonville game, man that was some ending.

Also LT has made 2 TD already and raiders havent even made 5 off plays.

Blackout
10-16-05, 05:22 PM
HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!? Well it wasn't the prettiest game but a win's a win. 1st place in the NFC East and have one of the best records in the NFC. WOOT WOOT!

Boombotz
10-16-05, 06:31 PM
Bucs are coming on strong. Even after the disappointing lost to the Jets last week, there back on track. :yup:

davesdeville
10-17-05, 03:37 AM
Denver looked GOOD today against the Patriots. And KC is managing a winning record so far beating the Redskins.

Saw the Romo interview on 60 minutes, that guy seems like a real douchebag.

Oh, and as for the Cowboys, I have 2 favorite teams in football. Kansas City Chiefs, and whoever's playing Dallas. And that saying, "how bout them Cowboys," is retarded. Almost as bad as "get urr dunnnnnn (durrr Imma weetard frum down , I like earl rigs, the south will raise aginn!)"

fast66
10-17-05, 03:55 AM
I was hoping for denver to loose. And that romo guy was seemed to let out too much. Anyone saw the usc notredame game? one of the best college games ive seen in a long time.

fast66
10-23-05, 03:13 PM
I Hate Mcnabb

SilverCTS
10-23-05, 05:04 PM
I Hate Mcnabb

Why?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/silvercts/Mcnabb.jpg

Blackout
10-23-05, 05:47 PM
Why?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/silvercts/Mcnabb.jpgBecause he's a cocky player on the field and should have taken himself out when he first got the injury

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/IRV10310092130.jpg

pjohnesq
10-23-05, 05:59 PM
Because he's a cocky player on the field and should have taken himself out when he first got the injury

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/IRV10310092130.jpg
Name 1 NFL player who is NOT cocky!

Blackout
10-23-05, 06:08 PM
Name 1 NFL player who is NOT cocky!Julius Jones

LittleB
10-23-05, 06:32 PM
:rant2:Ughhhh I just can't stand it!!! The last three games I haven't even been able to watch my 49ers more than the 1st quarter. It makes me sick!!! :nono:

Well, there;s always next year.....

Randy_W
10-23-05, 07:31 PM
How 'bout them Cowboys!!! Lost to Seattle! There were a lot of games coming down to the last minute today!

pjohnesq
10-24-05, 11:42 AM
How 'bout them Cowboys!!! Lost to Seattle! There were a lot of games coming down to the last minute today!
GLad the Cowboys lost after beating my NY Giants last week...at least we are all tied up at 4-2

illumina
11-15-05, 12:43 AM
I am no longer pulling for my beloved Eagles this year!!! :bomb: :rant2: :mad2:

Go Detroit Lions :cat: :kitty:

Blackout
11-15-05, 06:34 AM
Hey Randy W....EAT IT BUDDY!!!! 21-20 Cowboys! WOOT!!! :bouncy:

Elvis
11-15-05, 09:58 AM
How 'bout them COWBOYZ!!!

We've also neglected to discuss the end of the Tom Brady era. I can't remember how many times I heard Patriots fans run down Manning at the beginning of this season.

Let's review: Manning inherited a team that SUCKED. He grew with them from a 3-13 season to where they are today.

Brady inherited a Super Bowl team and replaced an injured Bledsoe. Bledsoe is now winning in Dallas. You can't say that he wouldn't have won those three rings himself.

Brady is a very good SYSTEM QB. There are SEVERAL like him out there. Right place, right time. He's a good guy, he's earned his three rings, he has a hot girlfriend, and he's going to the Hall of Fame. But he ain't in the same league with Starr, Unitas, Bradshaw, or Montana.

Slywun
11-15-05, 11:16 AM
The best thing about this season so far is my new seats.....

Ok, the 6-3 part is ok too.

Elvis
11-15-05, 11:27 AM
What game?

Slywun
11-15-05, 01:02 PM
Jaguars vs. Ravens

illumina
11-15-05, 03:42 PM
How 'bout them COWBOYZ!!!
We've also neglected to discuss the end of the Tom Brady era. I can't remember how many times I heard Patriots fans run down Manning at the beginning of this season.
Let's review: Manning inherited a team that SUCKED. He grew with them from a 3-13 season to where they are today.
Brady inherited a Super Bowl team and replaced an injured Bledsoe. Bledsoe is now winning in Dallas. You can't say that he wouldn't have won those three rings himself.
Brady is a very good SYSTEM QB. There are SEVERAL like him out there. Right place, right time. He's a good guy, he's earned his three rings, he has a hot girlfriend, and he's going to the Hall of Fame. But he ain't in the same league with Starr, Unitas, Bradshaw, or Montana.

Tom Brady inherited a 0-2 team in the 2001 season in which Bledsoe was injured (already noted). They then went 11-3 with Brady (11-5 overall) to make the playoffs and win their first Super Bowl. The season prior to that, the Patriots were 5-11, the season before they were 8-8. Far from inheriting a top-tier team.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/stats.nsf/Annual/2001-ne

Now one could argue that Bledsoe played in the postseason for them that year, but Brady won the Superbowl along with Adam Vinatieri's last second kick to top the Rams.

As for the season so far, look at these apples:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2330

Now both players are having pretty damn good seasons to me. But remember, Brady had litterally nobody catching his TD passes when you compare that of the talent which Manning has. But there is only a 3 TD pass difference between the two.

illumina
11-15-05, 03:50 PM
It's a little misleading, because they beat the Saints 52-3, but it's still pretty amazing that the Packers are 2-7 and yet have outscored their opponents 201-184.

Now can someone figure this out? The Packers have lost games in the final minutes of just about each loss (7 losses). They could be very easily 5-4 or around there...

Elvis
11-15-05, 03:55 PM
Jaguars vs. Ravens

No, I mean HOW can you POSSIBLY watch football with THAT going on in front of you?

Slywun
11-15-05, 08:47 PM
No, I mean HOW can you POSSIBLY watch football with THAT going on in front of you?

LOL - Actually 4 squads that rotate each quarter so the routine goes like this:
Quarter 1: Squad "D" = very interested in game
Quarter 2: Squad "A" = What game?
Quarter 3: Squad "C" = Who got hurt in the 2nd quarter?
Quarter 4: Squad "B" = What do you mean the game's over?

illumina
11-19-05, 01:58 AM
Well, my Eagles appear to be done :helpless: But my new team (for the time being), the Lions, well, umm, er, well, Garcia is back in the lineup, so they might have a shot at going somewhere...

For the NFC, the Panthers look to be the current class of the conference. They are 7-2 and winning well. The Seahawks are also a fine team, but I want to see if they can actually win a playoff game before I'm sold. So basically, they need to make it and then some. Carolina did that two years ago...

The Giants might be fading. They have the right tools to make it, but weren't they 5-2 last year before they wound up 6-10? Yeah, they need to keep the Eagles down this weekend, but who knows how it will turn out for them.

The Cowboys, according to me and the experts, had no business winning at Philly, but they did, and a win is a win. Period. At 6-3, they have a prime shot at the division crown, but their schedule is a tough one. They had better hope the Eagles win at New York on Sunday, and they better hope they can beat the Lions...Okay, they will...

RandyW, what was your favorite team again? The Bucs? Oh, the 'Skins...:lildevil: They have the Raiders this week, so this might be a good one for them. They need to keep up with the at least the wildcard race, but the loss to the Bucs didn't help one bit. We'll see how that loss affects them.

Speaking of the Buccaneers, they need to have Chris Simms show up like he did against the Redskins for the rest of the seaon. They might just get a wildcard like I had earlier predicted. However, they go to Atlanta on Sunday, so things might get a little dicey.

The Falcons. Still not 100% sold on them. They let the Packers whip them in the dome. If they want to make a repeat to the postseason for the first time in franchise history (back-to-back postseason runs), they need to play a lot better than that.

In the NFC joke, er, uh, North division, I really, truely, honestly have no clue who will win that one. Even the Packers could win it. Remember last year when Carolina started 1-7? They missed the playoffs by one loss to the Saints in their final game of the season. They wound up 7-9, just missing like I said. Could the Packers be that lucky? Can the Lions actually pull it off? How about the Bears? And let's not forget the Vikings, whose victory last Sunday over the Giants was a fluke. They had less than 200 yards total offense, but managed to win. They're still in the race, but what do they have to make the difference?

So in the NFC, should the playoffs start today, the Seahawks and Panthers get the first round bye's at 7-2 apiece. The Cowboys and Bears would be numbers three and four at 6-3 per team. The wild card teams are as follows: The Buccaneers, the Giants, and the Falcons, all at 6-3. I don't know who would win the tie breakers, but those are the prime NFC teams right now.

illumina
11-19-05, 02:29 AM
Now we go to the AFC. The AFC is stacked this year once again.

With the Colts as the class of the conference at 9-0, they look unstopable. Their defense has come together, Manning is getting fired up, and the Edge is having an MVP season. All against the NFL's easiest schedule. They need to continue to be strong during part two of the season because their homerun strectch includes the Bengals, the Steelers, the Chargers, and the Jaguars. These teams are having great seasons, and at least two of them will cross the "T" against the Colts and send them with a couple of losses. Sorry Elvis, but they need to play tougher teams now :lildevil:

The Broncos are very strong. If their collapse against the Giants a few weeks ago didn't happen, they would be 8-1 right now. Plummer is doing great, their running game is on, and the defense is also gelling well. Oh, and need I say that their schedule wasn't as easy as the Colts schedule was? Their final games aren't a whole lot easier, but they are playing at a high level, so the wins should continue.

The Patriots are having an Eagles-like season. The only difference is that the Patriots are in a weak division in which they're barely dominating, so they therefore have the lead. They will go on to win the division, but a 10-6 record (that's my prediction) is far from enough to secure homefield this year. They will have to travel, and will likely lose the first road game they play.

The AFC North crown is being challenged by the Bengals. The Steelers have the same record (7-2), but are ahead because of their win over the Bengals. The Steelers are without Ben Hamburgler or whatever his name is, and Tommy Madox is the starter right now...This is a tough time for them because they face the Ravens (2-7, but a tough 2-7) on the road as well as the Colts. They will likely win the division from Cincy this season, but both should be in the playoffs.

The Bengals have an easy schedule, and they are taking every bit of the advantage they have. Carson Palmer is having a great year, and I forsee that he will be around for a long time because he's doing so well. They are at 7-2, their best since the Superbowl year back in '89. They finished 12-4 that year, and will likely get to 12-4 this year as well.

The Jaguars are at 6-3, and are a clear favorite to make a wildcard spot. However, everyone has noticed that they down-play to their opponents, and have not been able to walk away with their schedule like they should have. 6-3 is still a good mark to have though...

On the AFC playoff bubble you will see the Chargers and the Chiefs. Both are good teams, but have had some bad luck. The Chiefs were stomped by the Bills last Sunday, which puts the a 1/2 game behind the Chargers (because of their loss to the Chargers) for second in the AFC West. Both teams are at 5-4.

So if the playoffs started today, the AFC would send the Colts at 9-0 to have homefield. The Broncos and the Steelers would either get the second or third seed, whomever wins the tie-breakers. The Patriots would be number four at 5-4, in which they would host the Bengals at 7-2. The Jaguars would face the number three seed at 6-3. The bubble teams (Chargers and Chiefs) would be at home this time because they didn't get to the magic 6-3 records they need to get in...

Elvis
11-19-05, 12:50 PM
I'm afraid that this year it's all about the Manning coronation. King Peyton and Prince Eli. The Colts have a two-game lead on everyone, and it doesn't look like anyone is going to catch them. The team MOST likely, IMO, to prevent the Colts from having that perfect season is the Jags.

In the NFC, the race will be more interesting, but I don't think even the best in the NFC can compete with Pittsburgh, Cincy, Denver, or even New England. I expect Dallas to win it, but I look for Eli to have a real coming out party in January. He's going to grow up really fast and impress a lot of people.

I love to watch Vick, but I just don't think there's a good enough supporting cast there yet. They could be great someday if Vick stays healthy for the net five years.

It's going to be fun to watch.

fast66
11-19-05, 01:05 PM
The bills will lose this weekend! We will prevail!!!! we will WIN!!

illumina
11-19-05, 05:53 PM
The Giants are good no doubt, but they started very fast last year and faded when Eli took the reigns. I don't expect them to fade like that because Eli has matured, but with Tampa and Atlanta likely going after 10 win seasons, the Giants have to win the NFC East to make the playoffs. They have to go to Seattle, Washington, Philly, and to Oakland. They get the Eagles (still not a horible team) at home tomorrow and they face the Chiefs later on. It is a very tough schedule for them to make the 10 or 11 wins they need to make the playoffs.

Dallas will likely win the division at 10-6. That said, Dallas has just about as tough of a road too...They get Denver on Thanksgiving, at Washington, at Carolina, and at New York (football Giants :D ). Very tough for them indeed...

Slywun
11-20-05, 11:10 AM
I'm afraid that this year it's all about the Manning coronation. King Peyton and Prince Eli. The Colts have a two-game lead on everyone, and it doesn't look like anyone is going to catch them. The team MOST likely, IMO, to prevent the Colts from having that perfect season is the Jags.

Agreed! Although I'll be rooting for the Bengals today!!!

Elvis
11-20-05, 06:21 PM
Agreed! Although I'll be rooting for the Bengals today!!!

Awesome game right now!!! 35-34 Indy. This is a real test.

Elvis
11-20-05, 08:53 PM
2nd half a disappointment, but the Indy defense was good enough to hold on.

This is the first year Indy has had any kind of defense at all. It's still not outstanding, but at least it doesn't suck anymore. ;)

Blackout
11-21-05, 06:38 AM
The Dallas Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl! How about them Eagles!?:hmm:

fast66
11-24-05, 12:31 AM
The Dallas Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl! How about them Eagles!?:hmm:

speaking of the cowboys, I hope Dallas wins tomorrow.

Blackout
11-24-05, 12:06 PM
I hope so too. The only thing i am hoping for at this point is for the cowboys to win and the giants to lose or for both dallas and the giants to lose. I don't want dallas losing and the giants winning though

fast66
11-24-05, 03:53 PM
I hope so too. The only thing i am hoping for at this point is for the cowboys to win and the giants to lose or for both dallas and the giants to lose. I don't want dallas losing and the giants winning though

Im with you, screw Eli

illumina
11-25-05, 12:19 AM
Well, Dallas didn't win. But, they will still hold a 1/2 game on the Giants, because the Giants ain't gonna beat the Seahawks either.

Slywun
11-25-05, 02:21 AM
Tough loss for the cowboys. I was rootin' for them.

illumina
12-08-05, 03:33 PM
Thoughts anyone? I'll give some analysis later on...

FSU_Noles
12-08-05, 09:25 PM
Go JAGS! Gonna snap the Colts' streak.

Elvis
12-09-05, 10:18 AM
Go JAGS! Gonna snap the Colts' streak.

I'm pulling for the Colts, but I think you're probably right about that prediction.

illumina
12-09-05, 02:54 PM
Indy has three really tough games coming up: the Jags, the Chargers, and the Seahawks. All they have to do is win two of those three, and thay have home field. Personally, I would rather face the Jags than the Chargers right now, but both are good teams and have a strong chance of snapping the Colt's streak...

FSU_Noles
12-09-05, 03:35 PM
At least Garrard can pull the ball down and run away from the pash rush, unlike Leftwich. Jags are all about roughing up the Indy WR's, stuffing the run and controlling the ball on Offense... should be good old fashioned smash-mouth football.

adam_mcd
12-09-05, 04:02 PM
"Seahawks: they don't sell me anymore. When Mike Holmgren took over 7 years ago as coach, I expected big and great things from them. Now I don't. They have the talent and all, but they just don't seem to get it. They'll likely be back in the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure we should expect too much from them, no matter how good of a record they might post."

haha bet youre regretting that now

not only do they have the record to show, but theyre among the top in stats, and it just isnt alexander. boo yah, seahawks got the NFC locked down.

but in all seriousness aside, yes the seahawks had a primce chance last year, and the year before, so i wont be a stranger to hearing people say they were diossapointed by the seahawks. but it was all internal management, and now that was solved with fusker, so look out.

Elvis
12-09-05, 04:43 PM
Indy/Seattle is probably the Super Bowl preview.

I'd love to see the Bears make it, and if it's the Giants vs. Indy we get to see the Manning family reunion. We'll all be sick of them about a week before the kickoff.

illumina
12-09-05, 11:58 PM
"Seahawks: they don't sell me anymore. When Mike Holmgren took over 7 years ago as coach, I expected big and great things from them. Now I don't. They have the talent and all, but they just don't seem to get it. They'll likely be back in the playoffs this year, but I'm not sure we should expect too much from them, no matter how good of a record they might post."

haha bet youre regretting that now

not only do they have the record to show, but theyre among the top in stats, and it just isnt alexander. boo yah, seahawks got the NFC locked down.

but in all seriousness aside, yes the seahawks had a primce chance last year, and the year before, so i wont be a stranger to hearing people say they were diossapointed by the seahawks. but it was all internal management, and now that was solved with fusker, so look out.

No, I'm still skeptical about their chances. Until they make something of the postseason, they'll continue to be on my list of never-will's.

Like I said in my post, I penciled them into the playoffs, and like I also said "no matter how good of a record they might post," they still need to show me something (along with their fans and everyone else). Regular season records mean nothing if you can't take advantage of that in the playoffs (this goes for Indy as well by the way).

Now that said, I am going to say that they should win their first playoff game since 1984. They have the right tools, and are playing more clutch. Let's just see some results and then they'll have all of my confidence.

illumina
12-10-05, 12:03 AM
Indy/Seattle is probably the Super Bowl preview.
I'd love to see the Bears make it, and if it's the Giants vs. Indy we get to see the Manning family reunion. We'll all be sick of them about a week before the kickoff.

The Bears with Kyle Orton? Maybe next year if they prove they're for real. Just not this year. This Bears team sort of reminds me of the 2001 Bears team that was creamed in their first home playoff game (thanks to the Eagles).

The Giants? If they can avenge their regular season loss by winning at Seattle, then yes, that would be the scenario.

But...I like your first staement: It's gonna be the Colts and Seahawks...(Prove me wrong and win some playoff games Seattle!!!)

Elvis
12-10-05, 08:51 AM
The Bears with Kyle Orton? Maybe next year if they prove they're for real. Just not this year. This Bears team sort of reminds me of the 2001 Bears team that was creamed in their first home playoff game (thanks to the Eagles).
The Giants? If they can avenge their regular season loss by winning at Seattle, then yes, that would be the scenario.
But...I like your first staement: It's gonna be the Colts and Seahawks...(Prove me wrong and win some playoff games Seattle!!!)

What I want to see vs. what will actually happen are usually two very different concepts.

Based on that, it will be Denver vs. Seattle, and the entire eastern seaboard will tune out that day.

illumina
12-10-05, 01:44 PM
Elvis, so you think the Colts don't have what it takes to make it? Nah, they should be the team for the AFC...

Unless somehow they screw up royally and have to go into Denver.

Elvis
12-11-05, 08:42 AM
The Colts have "had what it takes" for a couple years but they haven't gotten it done.

They have defense this year and it's made all the difference.

Still, I can see them screwing up somehow in the playoffs. I remember how dominant the Buffalo Bills used to be, and they lost 4 straight.

Elvis
12-11-05, 01:21 PM
Colts draw first blood. No strain at all. They shut down the Jags' first drive too.

The odds in favor of the Colts winning this game just doubled. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe the Jags don't have it after all?

fast66
12-11-05, 07:03 PM
I Hate Ricky Williams!

fast66
12-18-05, 04:25 PM
Manning who?

fast66
12-18-05, 04:41 PM
This is why I love the game.

Elvis
12-19-05, 10:22 AM
The Chargers brought the game that the Jags should have last week.

Congrats to Marty Schottenheimer. Great game plan, plus a lucky break when they absolutely had to have it.

But even when outplayed and whipped for three out of four quarters, the Colts almost pulled it out on sheer talent. Manning's two interceptions were the result of receivers who couldn't hang on. The Chargers worked on their tip drills last week.

illumina
12-19-05, 03:25 PM
Yup, the Colts were exposed for sure, as were the Cowboys...

Speaking of the Colts, their hated nemisis, the Patriots, are surging again and at the right time. I am getting this feeling that the Patriots will beat Indy then go into Denver and lose the AFC title game...But that's just a feeling...

Now that said, the Chargers are still #7 in the playoff race, i.e., they're not going anywhere should the playoffs start today. They have the Chiefs at Arrowhead next week, then close with Denver at home. They need to win both and hope the Steelers lose one more contest. The Steelers have the Lions and the Browns left to play :helpless: The Chiefs need some serious prayers answered: the host their final two games against the Chargers and the Bengals. I'm not sure, but the Chiefs would get the #6 spot in the playoffs if the Steelers and the Chargers finish 10-6 as well as the Chiefs, because the Chiefs would have a better conference record than the Steelers, who own a head-to-head tie-breaker with the Chargers.

As for the NFC, the Redskins would be #6, while the Cowgirls watch from home. The Redskins can still win the division and have a home game should they and the Giants finish 10-6. The Giants go to Washington and finish at Oakland. The Redskins finish at Philly, while Dallas finishes at Carolina and a home game against St.Louis.