: Anyone want to die for Haliburton and other campaign contributors?

scourge
11-12-03, 11:42 AM
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/11/03/draft/index_np.html

I'm too old and I would get a medical deferment anyway. I tried to volunteer for the Army as a helicopter pilot while in JROTC in high school. Wear glasses. Can't do it. Same with the Air Force. Tried to sign up with the Air Force Reserves and went through the interview and got to the part about medical issues and had to admit that I am under a doctor care for high blood pressure and that I have to take medicine everyday. They said no and so did the National Guard. At least I volunteered to serve my country and was told no.

However, this is a different time and a different situation. I wouldn't go if called and able. I would not die for Haliburton. Thats me. Where do you younger folk stand on this?

I don't think Chimp would enact it unless he actually got elected for the first time. It would make great entertainment to see what will happen if the draft does get enacted.

Sinister Angel
11-12-03, 12:01 PM
I seriously doubt the draft is going to come back. This little scare tactic came up a while back durring the beginning of this iraq thing. By the way, Haliburton has been a contractor of the government since the 70s.

tru504187211
11-12-03, 05:23 PM
The draft will only happen with iraq if the us has to continue to bare muscle in the campaign for many years to come. As the soldiers must be rotated in and out, the numbers suggest that they would have to reinstitute the draft to rotate soldiers out if they stay there too long...beginning with 21 year olds...then 20....then 19...then 18...then 22...then 23..etc...I'd be ****ed as I'm 21. Thats the paraphrase of my US Government teacher's explaination anyways...I'm probably missing something though...zzzzz

davesdeville
11-12-03, 10:06 PM
If I believed the US was in danger, I'd go if I were drafted. But since we're not... unless something changes I'll register for the draft but if called I'm going to dodge it.