: accuracy of temp sensor???? please help

pa96sts
07-26-05, 11:31 PM
I just bought a 96 sts and It does not seem to have the digital temp readout on the info screen. All it has is the guage. Is this guage accurate? Its been around 95degrees here with very high humidity and the temp guage has only gone a little past half way. I would not usually be worried about this but I hear northstar motors are known for headgaskets. I just go the car so I want to make sure everything is ok with it. Thanks

ruaturtle
07-26-05, 11:38 PM
Mine is always right around halfway.... normal

Ranger
07-26-05, 11:59 PM
Dead center is normal.

mcowden
07-27-05, 12:13 AM
It's all perfectly normal. You don't have anything to worry about unless you get console messages saying to stop the engine, dinging chimes, dramatic loss of power, etc. to indicate the system is in limp home mode. If that happens, shut it off as soon as safely possible and get it checked out. It probably will never happen, so just drive the car, enjoy every mile, give it healthy doses of wide open throttle whenever you can, maintain it the way it's supposed to be maintained, and for God's sake, don't worry about it.

pa96sts
07-27-05, 09:03 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the quick response. Sometime within the next week, I plan on draining the coolant and refilling with some dex cool. Any special way of refilling. I know on some of the cars I work on, I have to fill it halfway and let it run for a little so no air pockets get in the cooling system. I only worked on a few cadillacs so Im new to them. Thanks again for the help

Ranger
07-27-05, 11:48 AM
The Northstar is self purging. See that 3/8" line running from the water pump to the top of the surge tank? That's the purge line and if it is clear and flowing properly it will purge any air in the system. Just fill slowly, rev it a few times and you should be good to go. Check it after your first ride just to be sure. Don't forget the sealant tabs in the hose, not the tank.

pa96sts
07-27-05, 12:37 PM
sealant tabs in the hose?? I must be missing them

Ranger
07-27-05, 07:13 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. Don't forget to put the cooling system suppliment (sealant tablets) in the radiator hose, not in the surge tank.

mcowden
07-27-05, 08:51 PM
sealant tabs in the hose?? I must be missing them

You will need either 6 of the GM cooling system supplement pellets, 6 of the Bar's Leaks cooling system supplement pellets (same thing), or 2 tubes of Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder supplement. The Bar's products you can probably find at AutoZone or Pep Boys or Napa or maybe even Wal-Mart. The GM pellets are available at dealerships and will probably cost 50 times more than the Bar's stuff even though it's the exact same stuff. What Ranger is telling you is that you have to put the pellets or the powder, whichever you choose, in the radiator hose, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE SURGE TANK.

I personally have done it by getting the powder and pre-mixing the coolant 50/50 with distilled water in a separate jug, then dumping all the powder in there, shaking it up real good, and pouring it into the system. That seemed to work just fine and I've been driving it for almost a year with no problems. Others may tell you not to do that but put the pellets or the powder directly in the radiator hose.

Just make sure you use a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool and distilled water and somehow put the supplement in there in such a way as to avoid blocking up the vapor vent line from the surge tank to the water pump. Hopefully that makes sense for you.

pa96sts
07-27-05, 11:26 PM
Ok. Thanks a bunch guys for the help I will talk to the gm dealer about the tablets. Maybe they wont be too expensive with the discount we get at the garage. Thanks again. I appreciate it

Pjs
07-28-05, 09:26 AM
I paid $1.47 per tube at Walmart.