: reflash-then warrenty issue?

moldowan
07-25-05, 09:25 PM
quick question;
I'm getting my pcm reflashed @stealthV. part of there questions are do you want the torgue management turned off and the cat. convert protection off. I answered yes to these. do you think that was a smart decision?
Secondly, if i do have a issue with the rear end will the dealer inspect my pcm for reflashes and if they do will they say "NO COVERAGE HERE"! can I have any success in "fighting" my cause if this case came up?
How does the moss-magnusson act protect me?
thanks,
moldy
P.S. many read my thread about the recall reflash, after many miles i felt the power never came back on my car (can't even chirp-em in 2nd or third w/o power shifting...before with just aggressive shift they would chirp)

wildwhl
07-25-05, 09:59 PM
My take and .02

Torque management - ditch it.

Cat convert protection - how do I say this? If you ditched it and it kills another tree - well - I'm a printer - we kill thousands monthly.

I seriously doubt a dealer could ever, or would ever, void the warranty on the known to be weak rear diff assembly simply due to a performance reflash. Remember, StealthV will reflash your PCM back to stock if need be - so if you split your pumpkin and are concerned - mail it back to him overnight and 2 days later you can let the dealer have a peak. I doubt they would even check there to begin with.

The recall reflash and reduced power - Rick - care to comment? Quite frankly, I'd love to download your current "GM flash" and check it out...should be pretty easy to see if power has been cut by the PCM anywhere compared to previous programs. Again, Rick will know rather quickly...if he cares to look.

Back to torque management. It has merit in certain applications - but quite frankly, I don't think a n/a V is one of them. Let's say we cut power in 1st gear (can't remember if it can even be gear by gear in an M6 car) by 30%. Will that stop wheel hop when popping the clutch or in the rain? No...it doesn't take full power to break the rear wheels loose with T/C off in many instances. So, what merit does it have?

In my case, with the Maggie and other mods...it "could" be used as a potential traction control and I know there are some secret PCM guys in black working on something along those lines. I wouldn't mind it, to be honest, sort of like a "launch mode". I'm not sure it can be done with the PCM in the V - but it is a cool idea at least.

I wouldn't worry about either of your questions - the flash you'll get from Rick is tried and true and is NOT the reason or cause of rear diff failures (or any other performance tune for that matter).

WW :spin: out

DILLIGAF
07-25-05, 11:41 PM
My .02.I have a StealthV maggie tune also.My dealer said send it,those guys know what there doing.I don't think the torque mgt can be totally tuned out of the pcm.I could be wrong.Some diffs seem to be more fragile than others IMO.I turned 20,000 miles last weekend,no diff issues yet.StealthV will not F-up your car.He seems to be very picky about his tunes.Don't worry about it,you'll love the tune,and the service after the sale.Rick is a class act IMO.BTW,you will recieve your stock tune if you ever want to put it back on-you won't.Randy

slow35th
07-25-05, 11:46 PM
I just talked to Rick, He said he would let us know if the Moldy's pcm has been de-tuned.

moldowan
07-26-05, 01:26 AM
I know rick has a great product, not worried in that sense. I just wanted opinions on the torque & cat questions. I was worried about causing probs down the road. But it seems like i'll be ok by your guys responses.

now my pcm... if it isn't detuned i'm either 1) crazy/paranoid
2) have another problem somewhere
3) see #1
anywho i'm real interested to see what rick says! But I'm sure I'll love it with the stealthV tune:bouncy: can't wait!
-moldy

urbanski
07-26-05, 02:10 PM
you gotta drive my car man

wildwhl
07-26-05, 03:08 PM
Urby -

From the pictures I've seen in the calendar - your car doesn't drive very well :histeric:

urbanski
07-26-05, 03:10 PM
HAHA VARY FUNNAY WW

:p

StealthV
07-26-05, 07:23 PM
I just talked to Rick, He said he would let us know if the Moldy's pcm has been de-tuned.

All the hoopla about the PCM update at the dealer is just for adding the VIN into the PCM. Zero changes were made to your operating system Moldy.

The performance difference after visiting the dealer was most likely due to your fuel trims being reset during the PCM update.

Good news for hand-held tuner people with the blank VIN problem as the dealer has a documented reason to fix it. If you get a custom tune, no need to take it in for the dealer at all as fixing the VIN is automatic on this end.

:cheers:

ctsvett
07-26-05, 09:00 PM
good news for hand-held tuner owners.. they can use this as an excuse to return their unit and get a StealthV tune :)

Reed

slow35th
07-26-05, 09:24 PM
All the hoopla about the PCM update at the dealer is just for adding the VIN into the PCM. Zero changes were made to your operating system Moldy.

The performance difference after visiting the dealer was most likely due to your fuel trims being reset during the PCM update.

Good news for hand-held tuner people with the blank VIN problem as the dealer has a documented reason to fix it. If you get a custom tune, no need to take it in for the dealer at all as fixing the VIN is automatic on this end.

:cheers:

This is excellent news.