: computer vin#

Z06cts
07-25-05, 05:30 PM
Hello all. Im new to the site and what a killer site it is so thank you for having me. Anyway I have learned from superchips that I can't install my 2724 Microtuner without the dealership adding my vin# to my computer.This is very frustrating because I dont know how to ask the dealer to do so:banghead: i dont want any raised eyebrows as far as warranty goes. Has anyone had this problem or know of anyone who has. If so help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again for a great Forum.

heavymetals
07-25-05, 06:00 PM
I had the same problem when I was installing my maggie.

Take the car and have the dealer "reflash" the computer with the vin#.

If you step through the Tech2 there is reference to it.

Mine was not a warranty issue, in fact, was reflashed under warranty.

Hope this helps

Rikmyster
07-25-05, 06:06 PM
Mine was updated (REFLASHED) under either a recall or when they updated my nav system. Most "GOOD" dealers will reflash it with little or no questions asked.

It is in thier best interest to flash under recall (yes, it does slow the "blowing of the rear ends" out).

Then Superchip away ....:dance:

slow35th
07-25-05, 06:09 PM
when they updated my nav system.

There is a nav system update?

msheri01
07-25-05, 10:17 PM
Regarding the nav update, I think what is being referred to is the alarm activation. Post the last 8 digits of your vin, and I can check to see if there are any reflash recalls on your vehicle. When the vehicle is interrogated by the Tech 2, it records vin information. Are you trying to get the vin information on the PCM or on your laptop?

ctsvett
07-25-05, 11:45 PM
msheri,
I think he is talking about the lack of VIN in the PCM on some Vs... This is not an official recall from my understanding, but a service item... I guess its necessary for smog certification in CA (I will have this issue some day)....

Reed

slow35th
07-26-05, 12:04 AM
Regarding the nav update, I think what is being referred to is the alarm activation. Post the last 8 digits of your vin, and I can check to see if there are any reflash recalls on your vehicle. When the vehicle is interrogated by the Tech 2, it records vin information. Are you trying to get the vin information on the PCM or on your laptop?

Thanks

msheri01
07-26-05, 06:24 AM
05544 campaign is open, for OBD II diagnostics upgrade, so this should address your concern. I would call your dealer for an appointment. Good luck.:)

Kels55
07-26-05, 02:00 PM
msheri,
I think he is talking about the lack of VIN in the PCM on some Vs... This is not an official recall from my understanding, but a service item... I guess its necessary for smog certification in CA (I will have this issue some day)....

Reed

As the owner of the 2004 CTS-V Superchips programmer for 8 months and already dealing with this problem in Dec 2004, this is exactly what the problem is.

But word of advice, never let the dealer know that anything from Superchips is involved with the reason for needing you computer reflashed. The momment they discovered the Superchips program was the same momment a $4200 diff and driveshaft became my bill and not a warrenty issue.

msheri01
07-26-05, 10:57 PM
This is a campaign. Have it done first, then have the programming done. That way, you are covered if your insurance or state checks for recall completion. If the programming is not done until after the reflash, it will be like the military. Don't ask, don't tell.

Rey
07-26-05, 11:08 PM
This lack of VIN in CTS-V computers is interesting. I had my computer reprogrammed at TPIS. At first, they couldn't do it because of no VIN info in the computer. So, I went to a local Chevrolet dealer had had my program reflashed inserting my VIN. Then, TPIS was able to reprogram my computer.
TPIS remarked that the only time they have see a computer without its VIN is with "executive cars". My CTS-V was not an executive car. It was built in early September 2005. This may be the result of some manufacturing inconsistencies at GM.

Barak
07-26-05, 11:43 PM
This may be the result of some manufacturing inconsistencies at GM.

I heard that the ECM was rejecting the VIN input during the end of line testing which is when the VIN is inputted. This happened without GM's knowledge. The problem wasn't found until the production vehicle evalution testing for scan tool communication verification which happens within 1 month after the start of production.

Z06cts
07-27-05, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all the help. I guess ill try my luck with the dealer and see what happens.

DarthV-der
07-30-05, 12:01 AM
I had the no Vin# problem as well, went to get a new tune and was told that my Comp had no Vin#. I went to a local Caddy dealer and they reflashed it. It worked, no problems. Just a pain in the butt to get the car over to the dealer for the day was all.