: Would Buy a Renault?

airbalancer
07-25-05, 06:13 PM
Renault is thinking coming back NA
Would you buy one
Louis Schweitzer, Renault Chairman and CEO, has indicated that from 2010 on, Renault will need to be present on the North American market as the United States is the most profitable and the largest automobile market in the world. To successfully accomplish this, Renault will need to be present both on an industrial and a commercial level there and may be aided in this by its partner Nissan.

Playdrv4me
07-25-05, 06:17 PM
I guess if they started with a blank slate and incorporated their innovations and positive characteristics with a reliable and accessible platform, I would consider it. With the help of Nissan I dont see why they couldnt at least be equal to Hyundai or Kia.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 06:21 PM
I'd buy a Renault right now if i needed something like what they make. I have alot of confidence in them. Theyve really cleaned up in recent years. I think all of their cars got full 5* in the Euro ncap crash tests. They make some of the best cars here on UK roads

Kev
07-25-05, 06:25 PM
I wonder how popular they would be here politically speaking?

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 07:15 PM

French i suppose, i think they would be launching themselves as a new brand effectively... I hope they do come to the US and do well. I like Renaults very much dispite never owning one before

Playdrv4me
07-25-05, 07:17 PM

Thats an EXCELLENT question. I would imagine there would at least be slight political fallout.

If they start to take off I wouldnt be surprised to see them building a plant here in 10-15 years though.

Kev
07-25-05, 07:21 PM
Renaults were here before, late 70s early 80s? They also reminded me of the Yugos. The small sedans were most common, I don't recall any larger models right now. I'm not familiar with what they have been producing lately but wonder what appeal they may have over what is available to us now?
I guess they would have to have something special for a special price to get a toehold here.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 07:31 PM
Renaults were here before, late 70s early 80s? They also reminded me of the Yugos. The small sedans were most common, I don't recall any larger models right now. I'm not familiar with what they have been producing lately but wonder what appeal they may have over what is available to us now?
I guess they would have to have something special for a special price to get a toehold here.

Espace: http://www.in.gr/auto/parousiaseis/foto_big/AE_New_Renault_Espace_05.jpg

Avantime:
http://images.renault1.free.fr/images/france/renault/avantime_1.jpg

Vel Satis:
http://gblx.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundomotor/imagenes/2005/03/31/1112287121_g.jpg

Laguna:
http://arabam.milliyet.com.tr/fuar/2005/cenevre/renault_laguna.jpg

Scenic:
http://www.autos.com.mx/Imag2005/renault/Novedades2005/Scenic.jpg

Megane:
http://www.autoweek.nl/images/480/9667.jpg

Megane CC:
http://www.claudy.org/images/blog/renault_002-thumb.jpg

Clio:
http://www.nextcar.com.au/rt.i.renault.clio.renaultsport.182.fence.JPG

Modus:
http://www.automotorclub.com/articole/the-car-of-the-year-2005/renault-modus.jpg

Twingo:
http://bilder.mobile.de/images/autos/511680/11111111161113919-571-1112699261.bild

I think thats all of them sorry to be over exessive

Kev
07-25-05, 07:42 PM
Thanks. Some of them are quite unique looking. My guess is the more unusual they are the more popularity they might enjoy here.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 07:44 PM
Thanks. Some of them are quite unique looking. My guess is the more unusual they are the more popularity they might enjoy here.
Its the same story here. he big sedans and coupes flopped ebcause here in UK brand naem ise verything, so that leaves out the Avantime and Vel Satis. I think they would sell well there. All of the smaller cars sell here. I personally think the Megane is a great looking car...

Sandy
07-25-05, 08:14 PM
If the product was competitive in each segment that they entered, was timely in appearance, and had an attractive & marketable name, of course they could dance here! Personally, I do not; would not and have not purchased foreign corporations automobiles, but that's just me & my beliefs. Some agree with me, others do not. The problem is that they would HAVE to be sold at other dealerships. Renault does not have a dealer network in America. When you are an underdog it's not too good to share floor space with a known brand. Why? You are UNknown, therefore people wanna buy you for SUPER cheap. Ever see Infiniti, BMW, Lexus or Mercedes share floor space with a lesser car? See, that's why.
Recall
the
Renault Fuego? Most of the Eagle Brand were Renaults, the Premier & Eagle and Dodge Monaco at the end. Sportwqgon?
Only a car from Iraq or Saudi or Pakistan would not do well here, these days.
Mercedes & BMWs sell well in Israel these days, so a Renault should have no problem here, IF THE PRODUCT IS RIGHT for the timeframe it's marketed in !

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 08:27 PM
If the product was competitive in each segment that they entered, was timely in appearance, and had an attractive & marketable name, of course they could dance here! Personally, I do not; would not and have not purchased foreign corporations automobiles, but that's just me & my beliefs. Some agree with me, others do not. The problem is that they would HAVE to be sold at other dealerships. Renault does not have a dealer network in America. When you are an underdog it's not too good to share floor space with a known brand. Why? You are UNknown, therefore people wanna buy you for SUPER cheap. Ever see Infiniti, BMW, Lexus or Mercedes share floor space with a lesser car? See, that's why.
Recall
the
Renault Fuego? Most of the Eagle Brand were Renaults, the Premier & Eagle and Dodge Monaco at the end. Sportwqgon?
Only a car from Iraq or Saudi or Pakistan would not do well here, these days.
Mercedes & BMWs sell well in Israel these days, so a Renault should have no problem here, IF THE PRODUCT IS RIGHT for the timeframe it's marketed in !

Sandy is right, the dealer problem could be difficult, although they are partnered with Nissan so maybe it would work that way, i dont know. My brother drives a Renault Fuego. Its been garage kept and owned by him from new. There was a concept for a new version based on the Megane:
http://hvtm.totalcar.hu/car/m/renault/742347.jpg
I sinserely hope they do well there, they now make very good cars

D148L0
07-25-05, 08:33 PM
French i suppose, i think they would be launching themselves as a new brand effectively... I hope they do come to the US and do well. I like Renaults very much dispite never owning one before
I love them, my first 3 cars were R-18 2 litre. A-ma-zing.

D148L0
07-25-05, 08:35 PM
I guess if they started with a blank slate and incorporated their innovations and positive characteristics with a reliable and accessible platform, I would consider it. With the help of Nissan I dont see why they couldnt at least be equal to Hyundai or Kia.
Play, Nissan was saved by Renault, not the other way around.
There is no comparison with the brands you mentioned.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 08:38 PM
There is no comparison with the brands you mentioned.
I agree renault is as good a domestic brand as Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Vauxhall here (chevrolet there?) and ford

Kev
07-25-05, 09:01 PM
There is no comparison with the brands you mentioned.That may be but the important question is how they will be received here. Nissan is commonly known here Renault will have to start over. They would have to come up with a stellar advertising campaign and, as previously stated, provide vehicles that are trend starters. If they can pull that off they'll have a chance.

Kev
07-25-05, 09:05 PM
Personally, I've not bought a new car yet and don't forsee that changing in the near future. My next car will likely be another used Caddy, something with a N*.

Ralph
07-25-05, 09:59 PM

Many Americans were willing to buy one of the "first wave" of Chinese cars when they come to NA, (according to my poll) so why not a French car?? At least the French are allies to the United States.

I'll take a Bugatti to go please. :thumbsup:

Kev
07-25-05, 10:02 PM
Many Americans were willing to buy one of the "first wave" of Chinese cars when they come to NA, (according to my poll) so why not a French car?? At least the French are allies to the United States.

I'll take a Bugatti to go please. :thumbsup:I'll stick with American names, no boogers for me, thank you.

danbuc
07-26-05, 12:55 AM
Would you buy a Renault?

Hell-nault! (I made a funny :D ) I would not buy one, unless it's that crazy mid engine V6 models that handles like it's on rails. But they will never sell that one here. There's a reason why Peugot failed miserably here.......American's just don't like French car's...hehe. Nothing against the French and all, but their car's generally tend to suck. Look at the Citroen 2CV, a 5 year old kid could tip that thing over if he hit it too hard with his tricycle, and could easily out accelerate it with his big-wheel.

Ralph
07-26-05, 01:04 AM
but their car's generally tend to suck.

You are looking at the wrong type of French cars my friend.........what about this.......

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2003/030709whats-new/index2.html

http://www.bugatti-cars.de/bugatti/flash/?langString=en

"With 987hp from the 8 liter quad-Turbo W16 engine the power weight ratio will be top, and combined with good aerodynamics VW is talking about more than 400 kmh and zero to 300kmh in less than 14 seconds"

Don't kid yourself! It's probably the French who think our cars are "weak." They've got the equivalent of the Sixteen in production, and more!!

It's not uncommon for some European cars to have from 700-1,000 hp.

Kev
07-26-05, 01:12 AM
Too bad they don't have cyclists to match.

Way to go Lance!

danbuc
07-26-05, 01:17 AM
I thought it would be obvious to most that Bugatti's DO NOT suck in any way shape or form. I was only referring to the big three French companies who make there car's for the masses like Citroen, Peugot, and Renault. I would never buy any of these three car's, as most of them do suck. Not too say that they are total pieces of crap, but I mean they suck the way a Ford Focus does for example. They tend to be small, compact 4cylinder car's made to be sold and maintained cheaply. That is why I feel they suck. Oh, and that sick Citroen with that crazy Air Cushion suspension is cool too. One of my all time favorite dream cars to own is the EB110. That car, while not as visually appealing as some might have liked (I like) is fast as all hell.

Ralph
07-26-05, 01:18 AM
I thought it would be obvious to most that Bugatti's DO NOT suck in any way shape or form. I was only referring the the big three French companies who make there car's for the masses like Citroen, Peugot, and Renault. I would never buy any of these three car's, as most of them do suck. Not too say that they are total piece of crap, but I mean they suck the way a Ford Focus does for example. They tend to be small, compact 4cylinder car's made to be sold and maintained cheaply. That is why I feel hey suck. Oh, and that sick Citroen with that crazy Air Cushion suspension is cool too. One of my all time favorite dream cars to own is the EB110. That car, while not as visually appealing as some might have liked (I like) is fast as all hell.

Understood, and agreed!

danbuc
07-26-05, 01:23 AM
Found a pic of the EB110, and felt the need to post it for those who are unaware of what it is. This car is a true beast of a machine. Quad-Turbo V12 making a modest 552bhp and 450bl/ft of torque. Top speed of roughly 212mph, with 0-60/100 times of 4.5/9.1

Ralph
07-26-05, 01:25 AM
Found a pic of the EB110, and felt the need to post it for those who are unaware of what it is. This car is a true beast of a machine. Quad-Turbo V12 making a modest 552bhp and 450bl/ft of torque. Top speed of roughly 212mph, with 0-60/100 times of 4.5/9.1

Yup, it's in the above link, as I added the official website.....

mccombie_5
07-26-05, 05:45 AM
I can see why you have jaded opinions of Renaults, the last ones you guys had were crappy 70s and 80s models. They make sence here in Europe, they are much loved cars, look at the Clio for example, right at home on french and UK city streets, or the Megane, that must be the best looking small family car on the roads here. The LAguna is a few years old now but is still on the pace, and the Vel Satis is right at home ferry French politicians around. The Espace invented the practial 7 forward facing seat car in Europe, it was the first MPV. The scenic invented its own niche as being the first compact MPV here.
I have owned many Citroens, and i will admit that they have been poor, except for my 56 DS, but, if i was in the market for one, I would buy another, but i would also consider Citroen and Peugeot. They would all appeal to me. I can genuinely understand why you guys wouldnt like them though. I have driven many of the newer model Renaults, Peugeots and Citroens, my brother has a Vel Satis himself, and his wife drives a Citroen C5. I also think if the Citroen C6 is ever made i would be straight down the to showroom to buy one:

http://www.citrofan.nl/c6imgeneve.jpg

maybe they would all fail in America, but they shouldnt be written off as crappy, just remember most American Cars fail outside of your home nation, so Renault and others are bound to be doubted. a four cylinder engine is, although not to my taste (go N*) is practical and makes sence here in EU. Please dont base your thoughts about Renault on what you guys were originally sold in the 70s. If you are making your judgements having driven a new one i respect that too, but companies can turn their status around.

Sandy
07-26-05, 08:21 AM
Who knows the truth? Which IS the TOP SELLING car in FRANCE??
Citroen, Peugot, or Renault ? ?

mccombie_5
07-26-05, 12:19 PM
Who knows the truth? Which IS the TOP SELLING car in FRANCE??
Citroen, Peugot, or Renault ? ?

I cant find any figures on that one. But what i can say is that The Megane was the best selling model acccross Europe in 2004..... I would say Renault over the other two

michael96
07-26-05, 12:43 PM
Hell no, American only for me, specifically Cadillac

Playdrv4me
07-26-05, 12:58 PM
Hell no, American only for me, specifically Cadillac

Point noted...

As far as the "look" of the Renault's... I agree they look unique, but I personally can not stand that hatchback, rally car look on a daily driver. This is the reason I take issue with the new GS from Lexus from even, its just got no ass end. Oddly I do like the bustleback Sevilles, but thats about where it stops.

mccombie_5
07-26-05, 01:10 PM
Point noted...

Oddly I do like the bustleback Sevilles, but thats about where it stops.

did they sell that as a Buick too? and also i remember they sold them in this country for a while......with a diesel engine. I disliked them, but on the flipside i like Renault cars so its a matter of personal preference

ben72227
07-26-05, 01:49 PM
Renault IS the top selling brand in France, but just barely. The Laguna was the European Car of the Year in '02 i think, so if that tells you something...

I would never get one, BUT i do envy the Europeans for having diesels in their cars while we do not (with the exception of the occasional VW). Even the European Cadillac (BLS) will have a diesel engine in it, but alas, it won't be brought over here when the release it for America in 2010:crying:

See here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/2006_Cadillac_BLS.jpg

Can you believe, that a I4 diesel gets more HP than my V8 diesel gets. The technology these days:bonkers:. Ha, a Cadillac with a 4-banger:p

EDIT: Now that I look at that picture real big like that, i really want one of those BLS things. Wow. I never noticed how much more refined it looks compared to the CTS; must be a European thing, to have refined luxury cars:rant2:

ben72227
07-26-05, 01:57 PM
Also, I wonder if Europeans see our cars as we see their cars; that is, Are they wowed and impressed by luxury "imports" Since, I mean, they use BMWs for Taxis over there, so its not so special like it is here. I mean, BMW is the domestic. Hmmm. I never thought about it that way...:hmm:

mccombie_5
07-26-05, 02:13 PM
Also, I wonder if Europeans see our cars as we see their cars; that is, Are they wowed and impressed by luxury "imports" Since, I mean, they use BMWs for Taxis over there, so its not so special like it is here. I mean, BMW is the domestic. Hmmm. I never thought about it that way...:hmm:

Unfortunately American cars have a bad reputation here. I know this from owning them. I will be buying a BLS :D
BMWs and Mercedes Benz's are used as taxis because of their fantastic 300,000 mile+ diesel engines. They ARE the domestic here in the UK because more people buy the 3 series (cringe) than the standard Vectra or Mondeo. Unfortunately most people here are Brand orientated. I can sefely say i am not. Yes, i have desirable cars, but thats because i feel, they are the best at what they do, which is why i recently ordered a PHaeton. VW is seen as slightly higher than domestic but by no means luxury, this is why the Phaeton does not sell. Im buying one becdause it was the best one at its job. Anyway that was just to answer your original question Ben

Playdrv4me
07-26-05, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately American cars have a bad reputation here. I know this from owning them. I will be buying a BLS :D
BMWs and Mercedes Benz's are used as taxis because of their fantastic 300,000 mile+ diesel engines. They ARE the domestic here in the UK because more people buy the 3 series (cringe) than the standard Vectra or Mondeo. Unfortunately most people here are Brand orientated. I can sefely say i am not. Yes, i have desirable cars, but thats because i feel, they are the best at what they do, which is why i recently ordered a PHaeton. VW is seen as slightly higher than domestic but by no means luxury, this is why the Phaeton does not sell. Im buying one becdause it was the best one at its job. Anyway that was just to answer your original question Ben

For the most part I am like you, I have a little bit of brand Bias, but overall I buy the car I like because I think it does what I want it to do and does it well while looking great. Alot of times this is seen as being disloyal to domestics but I just dont see it that way, I purchase what I feel I will get the most enjoyment and use out of for my money.

mccombie_5
07-26-05, 05:58 PM
For the most part I am like you, I have a little bit of brand Bias, but overall I buy the car I like because I think it does what I want it to do and does it well while looking great. Alot of times this is seen as being disloyal to domestics but I just dont see it that way, I purchase what I feel I will get the most enjoyment and use out of for my money.

Exactly, this is the reason i have had many different cars over the years. My list is in the "how old..>" thread, i bought the best car for my needs at the time, i have found my needs change very often, and sometimes i just buy a car for pure enjoyment (enter the 'lade and citroen DS) the name on the back of the car doesnt matter to em so much. If a Kia did the best job for my needs i would by one. I must admit the reason i own cadillacs is the pure enjoyment factor

Ralph
07-29-05, 01:30 AM
Here's an interesting, attractive, and inexpensive French sportscar, the Hommell Berlinette.

http://www.automobile-sportive.com/guide/hommell/berlinetters2.php

Or here's the new Citroen C6, their luxury sedan:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/citroen/citroen-c6-part-1-20-07-05.asp?switched=on&echo=1022668031

And here's the Venturi Fetish which does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. It's also electric if you can believe it. 245 horsepower.

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/venturi-fetish-first-production-electric-sports-car-022314.php

And here's a pic of a nice looking Peugeot for the common man, the last generation 406 Coupe, designed by Bertone:

http://406coupe.tk/

mccombie_5
07-29-05, 03:36 AM
The C6 may be making an appearence in my garage if i sell my Vectra in the enxt few years, i just want to keep it so my younger son can learn with a normal car and not his mothers performance Astra, all of the rest have a column or auto transmission. Anyway that C6 is a beautiful car for someting of that size....

Randy_W
07-30-05, 03:01 PM
I've owned 2, both in the late 1960's. They were sold as economy, drive to work cars. The Dauphine had a whopping 32 h.p. rewar engine, water cooled set up with a 3 spd manual. It cost me $100, I got taken to the cleaners, what a P.O.S.! I later bought a Caravelle sports car with removable hard top/ soft top and 100 h.p. Gordini engine/ 4 speed combo. It was a lot of fun and even had a tiny rear seat pad. It was as quick as the MGB's and TR4's. It was still rear engine and water cooled. It was mistaken for an Amphicar by several people. In those days, they were known as Re-Nalts in the USA, they became Re- no's in the early 1980's or there about.:D