: Rooaaadd Trriiiipp!!!!!

Adumb
07-25-05, 02:18 PM
im going on a roadtrip with a friend of mine on august 6th, we are going (as far as we know now) from here, western ny, to atlantic city, ny, then from there to daytona beach florida, then heading back we are gonna hit memphis, tn, then back to ny. its gonna be fun indeed. i am looking for good driving music, post any good songs to road trip to, and any good places to stop along that journey. thanks for any suggestions.

majax
07-25-05, 02:35 PM
I recomend you end up in the Northwest somehow ;)

be sure to bring lots of music.

ShadowLvr400
07-25-05, 02:52 PM
High speed driving
The Cardigans "My Favorite Game"

High speed cruising
Sting "Desert Rose"

Just cruising
Suzanne Vega "Tom's Diner"
Queen Latifah "California Dreamin" (Yes, she did a great remake of that classic.)

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 02:54 PM
Sting and the Police
Dire Straits (especially "heavy fuel")
Tracy Champan
Bruce Sprinsteen
Avril Lavigne :hide:
Motorhead
Dashboard Confessional (not at night though, you will want to crash the car)
My Chemical Romance :hide:
Oasis
Nirvana
The Beatles
Van Morrison
Queen (especially "don't stop me now")
and heres a few random songs i suggest too:
Big Yellow Taxi
A Thousand Miles (Vanessa Carlton)
Best of You (Foofighters)
And the "friends" theme.

Theyre just a few that I personally like to drive to. Have a great time! I went on a 6 week trip with my girlfirend when i was 18. It was the best six weeks of the 70s :D

majax
07-25-05, 02:58 PM
"Big Yellow Taxi" I cannot stand that song, lol.

Van Halen "I can't drive 55"

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 03:01 PM
"Big Yellow Taxi" I cannot stand that song, lol.

It's your age ;) you will learn to appreciate good music :hide:

Van Halen "I can't drive 55"

I agree

Kev
07-25-05, 03:01 PM
How about a little more 'old school';
Bad Company
Foreigner
Earth Wind & Fire
Steely Dan
Boston
CCR

majax
07-25-05, 03:08 PM
It's your age ;) you will learn to appreciate good music :hide:

I agree

I think that song was remade and it is the remake I dont like. I have never heard the original.

"pave paradise and put up a parking lot" :thumbsup:

Boston "Rock and Roll Band"
Aha "Take on Me" :histeric:
Any Creedence Clearwater:yup:

Kev
07-25-05, 03:11 PM
We must not forget;
The Godfather of Soul!
Aretha Franklin
Pink Floyd

(hows that for a mix?)

Kev
07-25-05, 03:14 PM
Ooh! Ooh!
Elton John's early works;
'Madman Across The Water'
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 03:14 PM
I think that song was remade and it is the remake I dont like. I have never heard the original.

"pave paradise and put up a parking lot" :thumbsup:

Aha "Take on Me" :histeric:
:

i would recommend hearing the original. If anyone should be for paving over paradise it cshould be me being an architect, but remember this, if we pave it all over we would have nowhere nice to drive our cars to ;)

A-ha were great: stay on these roads ;)
also added to my original list:
Bon Jovi
Meat Loaf
Green Day
Eric Clapton

Adumb
07-25-05, 03:20 PM
yeah, ccr is definately going. oh, and definately avril lavigne.... jk. thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming,

majax
07-25-05, 03:21 PM
The Beatles "1" album is faily good. It is of all their greatest hits. The only problem is that they are like 4-6 track recordings.

Kev
07-25-05, 03:22 PM
i would recommend hearing the original. If anyone should be for paving over paradise it cshould be me being an architect, but remember this, if we pave it all over we would have nowhere nice to drive our cars to ;) Wait a minute! Aren't your creations complimentary to paradise?! MY GOD MAN! What are you designing here?!:rant2: Oh the bleakness of it all! :helpless:

:p

majax
07-25-05, 03:22 PM
I am currently listening to Guess Who.

Kev
07-25-05, 03:24 PM
I am currently listening to Guess Who.OK, I give up. Who?

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 03:26 PM
Wait a minute! Aren't your creations complimentary to paradise?! MY GOD MAN! What are you designing here?!:rant2: Oh the bleakness of it all! :helpless:

:p

Ohhhh of course they are ;) :sneaky: i just finished a Victorian warehouse conversion to apartments.....i do alot of work with existing buildings...

majax
07-25-05, 03:28 PM
OK, I give up. Who?

hahahahaha, you are kiding right:histeric:

Just in case you were not kiding

Guess Who.
"Clap for the Wolfman"
"American Woman"
etc:D

majax
07-25-05, 03:29 PM
Ohhhh of course they are ;) :sneaky: i just finished a Victorian warehouse conversion to apartments.....i do alot of work with existing buildings...

I hear housing is very expensive over there. Obviously you make some pretty pennies/pounds.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 03:34 PM
An avarage family home costs around 250,000 for a 4 bedroomed home. although it is slightly cheaper where i come from. Around London it is very expensive to live, here it isnt so bad. I do make quite alot from this job, but i am self employed, before i became self employed i worked for a firm and took no credit and alot less money for the designs.
Around Newcastle Quayside the apartments are very desirable and can cost up to 1m+

Kev
07-25-05, 03:40 PM
Ohhhh of course they are ;) :sneaky: i just finished a Victorian warehouse conversion to apartments.....i do alot of work with existing buildings...Whew! I was envisioning huge slabs of cold hard concrete blocking out the sunlight to the point that weeds had no chance for survival! Towering parking structures choking with CO, the only evidence of organic nature being the excrement of pigeons and rats...... Oh.... just kidding. :o

At UC Berkeley the building for Architectural Studies is called Wurster Hall. I'm guessing it was built in the late 50's, early 60's. It looks like something you would expect to see in G.O.'s '1984' or 'Fahrenheit 451'. It is constructed of unfinished concrete and is as bleak and unremarkable a structure as one might imagine. It is ironic to me that it is used for Arch, I see it as a great example of what not to do! :histeric:

But pay no attention to me, I'm just a dumb old sheet metal worker... :banghead2

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 03:48 PM
Whew! I was envisioning huge slabs of cold hard concrete blocking out the sunlight to the point that weeds had no chance for survival! Towering parking structures choking with CO, the only evidence of organic nature being the excrement of pigeons and rats...... Oh.... just kidding. :o

At UC Berkeley the building for Architectural Studies is called Wurster Hall. I'm guessing it was built in the late 50's, early 60's.

But pay no attention to me, I'm just a dumb old sheet metal worker... :banghead2

I have never once designed a parking facility :D You should see some of the monsters i have had to work on redeveloping and facelifting! Do you know how hard it is to make something that was designed in the decade that taste forgot into something tasteful.

ben72227
07-25-05, 03:49 PM
As for places to stop at (in the south anyways). I would suggest that when you get to South Carolina, get off of I-95 at (I think) the SC-64 exit and head towards this place called Edisto Beach (It's a state park in SC, as well as one of those hidden resort towns). The Spanish Moss there is absolutely fantastic. It's one of those treasured places in the South that you rarely get to see;).

Also, I'm not sure whether or not you're used to the ammount of humidity we have down here. What I mean it, that when it's 100 degrees down here, it will feel MUCH hotter and you will most likely sweat ALOT. So make sure that your A/C is in tip top condition.

Some other places to stop - assuming that from Daytona to Memphis you go through Atlanta, Birmingham, and north Mississippi (which is the best route anyway), I would definately stop at some places in Atlanta - CNN, Coca-Cola, Six Flags, etc. and then drive through northern Alabama at the foot of the Appalachians;). Mississippi will be well....Mississippi. Not much there, except for Tupelo, its almost 3rd world really (no offense to anybody from there on these forums).

Memphis is full of cool stuff to do, so it should be good. And I'm assuming that on the way back you will take I-40 to I-95? Most of Tennesse is BORING (driving along I-40, I mean) but once you get to Smoky National Park, well, its quite different;).

Hope you enjoy your trip:p

Kev
07-25-05, 03:57 PM
Do you know how hard it is to make something that was designed in the decade that taste forgot into something tasteful.Yes, as a matter of fact, being a dumb old sheet metal worker I can honestly say I do. Not that I have been a part of the design process, I have been instrumental in many projects in overcoming some of the dificulties in regard to coordinating the disciplines on the inside of these buildings and have worked at forming and installing some pretty interesting flashings to help keep the elements out.

Our respective jobs are certainly not for the unimaginative. :thumbsup:

Ralph
07-25-05, 04:00 PM
I am currently listening to Guess Who.

Apparently my ex-fiances' mother dated Burton Cummings in HS. He even asked her to the prom in Winnipeg! "American Woman" was a cool song.

I hate the Taxi song too.

ROLLING STONES!

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:02 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, being a dumb old sheet metal worker I can honestly say I do. Not that I have been a part of the design process, I have been instrumental in many projects in overcoming some of the dificulties in regard to coordinating the disciplines on the inside of these buildings and have worked at forming and installing some pretty interesting flashings to help keep the elements out.

Our respective jobs are certainly not for the unimaginative. :thumbsup:

I'm pleased that you get to be imaginative in your job! so many people dont and its a shame :nono: busy designing an extension for my garage as we speak :D
Whos idea was it to have the 70s again?

Kev
07-25-05, 04:03 PM
hahahahaha, you are kiding right:histeric:

Just in case you were not kiding

Guess Who.
"Clap for the Wolfman"
"American Woman"
etc:DYes, it was a joke. Pretty corny eh?

Anyone remember Elvin Bishop?

Kev
07-25-05, 04:04 PM
Whos idea was it to have the 70s again?Guitly. :halo:

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:10 PM
Guitly. :halo:

:nono: :tisk:
you still claiming responsibility for that one ? :gungrin:

;)

Kev
07-25-05, 04:15 PM
:nono: :tisk:
you still claiming responsibility for that one ? :gungrin:

;)Geez, I thought you were talking about this thread! I told you I was dumb! :bonkers:
I have no clue as to whom it was resurrected the 70's styles, I just like the music man. You can keep the clothes and mid-late 70's cars! :p

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:20 PM
Geez, I thought you were talking about this thread! I told you I was dumb! :bonkers:
I have no clue as to whom it was resurrected the 70's styles, I just like the music man. You can keep the clothes and mid-late 70's cars! :p

Nice escape;) :thumbsup: the 70s clothes were terrible, some of the cars were okay though :D my first baby looked just like this:

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B31390.jpg

and you have to admit this is great:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/100-greatest/03-large/101-rover-sd1.jpg

so i will keep the 70s cars thanks :D

Kev
07-25-05, 04:30 PM
Nice escape;) :thumbsup: the 70s clothes were terrible, some of the cars were okay though :D my first baby looked just like this:

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B31390.jpg

and you have to admit this is great:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/100-greatest/03-large/101-rover-sd1.jpg

so i will keep the 70s cars thanks :DUnfortunately, our choices over here were quite a disappointment to those of us who were used to the muscle and style of the 60's. My first car was no body builder though, it was a lowly 67 Beetle but I loved it dearly. My second car resembled your first somewhat, it was a 66 Ford Falcon, 4 dr. though it was much plainer looking than yours.

What is that second car? It puts me in mind of a Citroen in shape.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately, our choices over here were quite a disappointment to those of us who were used to the muscle and style of the 60's. My first car was no body builder though, it was a lowly 67 Beetle but I loved it dearly. My second car resembled your first somewhat, it was a 66 Ford Falcon, 4 dr. though it was much plainer looking than yours.

What is that second car? It puts me in mind of a Citroen in shape.

The first one, as you probably know is a Ford Cortina 2.0 :D the second which I also owned a one of is a Rover SD1 V8. It had the old Buick V8 in it. mine was a 1978 model. great car :D

Kev
07-25-05, 04:39 PM
I did like the Triumph TR6 as well as the Spitfire (liked the TR6 best) wasn't impressed wtih the TR7.

Kev
07-25-05, 04:40 PM
DOOHHH! I've done it AGAIN!! :banghead:
Hijacked another thread!:suspense:

:nono: Will I never learn?

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:42 PM
My favourite from the TR series was the TR5. youre right the TR7 was a terrible car. Thansk to the owners of the company at the time.... it ooked like a door wedge

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:43 PM
DOOHHH! I've done it AGAIN!! :banghead:
Hijacked another thread!:suspense:

:nono: Will I never learn?

I am as much to blame :hide:

Kev
07-25-05, 04:44 PM
My favourite from the TR series was the TR5. youre right the TR7 was a terrible car. Thansk to the owners of the company at the time.... it ooked like a door wedge"The shape of things to come." :holycrap::lightbulb:shocked2::vomit:

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:46 PM
"The shape of things to come." :holycrap::lightbulb:shocked2::vomit:

haha yes i remember. on the ad didnt they drive it into a wedge shaped tent?

Kev
07-25-05, 04:48 PM
haha yes i remember. on the ad didnt they drive it into a wedge shaped tent?A wedge shaped garage over here! :histeric:
:farting:

I'm sure Benny Hill could've done better! They should have left the advertising for that one to him!

Can you imagine?

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 04:52 PM
A wedge shaped garage over here! :histeric:
:farting:

I'm sure Benny Hill could've done better! They should have left the advertising for that one to him!

Can you imagine?

It was probably the same ad then, it could of been a garage.... i forget. Benny Hill would of sold more of them. What were they thinking back then. Austin-Rover-Triumph-Morris-British Leyland in general got worse in the 80s ever seen an Austin Maestro?

Kev
07-25-05, 05:07 PM
It was probably the same ad then, it could of been a garage.... i forget. Benny Hill would of sold more of them. What were they thinking back then. Austin-Rover-Triumph-Morris-British Leyland in general got worse in the 80s ever seen an Austin Maestro?Austi-Tria-Rova-Britta-Leyla who?! Geez, with a name like that, no wonder they tanked?! Can you imagine the size of the labels required to accomodate that moniker? Yegods! The added cost to advertising alone!

No, I can't say I'm familiar with the Austin Maestro. Is it safe to say I'm not missing out here?

Kev
07-25-05, 05:12 PM
Oh, is this it?

http://www.bltin.com/pix/austin_maestro_01.jpg
Kinda looks like a cross between a Yugo and a Golf, certainly too small for the manufacturers name!

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 05:15 PM
Austi-Tria-Rova-Britta-Leyla who?! Geez, with a name like that, no wonder they tanked?! Can you imagine the size of the labels required to accomodate that moniker? Yegods! The added cost to advertising alone!

No, I can't say I'm familiar with the Austin Maestro. Is it safe to say I'm not missing out here?

haha! they traded under the name "British Leyland" but they owned basically all of the domestic car companies in Britain, Jaguar, Rover, Triumph, Austin, Morris, Land Rover, Mini......th list goes on. They drove the lot into the Ground until ford came along in the late 80s and rescued LR and Jag.... the Maestro replaced an equally crappy car called the Allegro, here have a laugh at the best of British engineering at the time:

Allegro: http://www.miniresource.com/shows/actionday2003/allegro.jpg

Maestro: http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/press/85maestro16.jpg :histeric:

Kev
07-25-05, 05:22 PM
... the Maestro replaced an equally crappy car called the Allegro, here have a laugh at the best of British engineering at the time:

Allegro: http://www.miniresource.com/shows/actionday2003/allegro.jpg

Maestro: http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/press/85maestro16.jpg :histeric:The Allegro looks like it would have been perfect for any of the Pink Panther movies. Something for Insp. Jacques Clouseau and his assistant to muck about in.

mccombie_5
07-25-05, 05:40 PM
The Allegro looks like it would have been perfect for any of the Pink Panther movies. Something for Insp. Jacques Clouseau and his assistant to muck about in.

Hey it was all bad....and the Pink Panther thign si appropriate too

Adumb
07-25-05, 08:10 PM
*revised trip*

we decided to cut out atlantic city,
its gonna be somewhere around raleigh, taking bens advice and going to edisto beach, then daytona beach, memphis, cleveland and back home,

well pretty much go through atlanta from daytona to memphis, so we can decide at the last minute whether to stop or not. if you have any more stops that you really reccomend, please lay em out there. i d/led some of the songs, not bad, i also d/led the general lee by johnny cash, he, ccr, stray cats, tiger army, and spanish rap are gonna probably be pretty prominent on the radio. try to throw out some mid tempo songs thatll be good to drive to. thank you so much, ill hopefully have pics to post when we git back,

Adumb
07-25-05, 09:08 PM
Also, I'm not sure whether or not you're used to the ammount of humidity we have down here. What I mean it, that when it's 100 degrees down here, it will feel MUCH hotter and you will most likely sweat ALOT. So make sure that your A/C is in tip top condition.

yeah, im not but, real men roll the window down, plus im not cruising the whole way to fl with my window up, no way in hell. my window is gonna be down and my elbow is gonna be out. thats the only way to enjoy.

yeah, ill probably git a heat stroke or something, lol

ben72227
07-25-05, 09:35 PM
Wow, glad to hear you took my advice. Might I also add that you check out either Charleston, SC or Savanah, GA as they are both BIG southern coastal cities, with Charleston being more historic of course (where the Civil War started). But I really think you will enjoy Edisto; its one of the most laidback places I've ever visited in the South (and thats saying ALOT) and the people really do exhibit that "southern hospitality" that we're known for. There's a real cool serpent-tarium (sp?) (it's a zoo that has snakes only) on the way to Edisto, right on the road, so you should definately check it out too. It's the big attraction in that part of the state.

The rest of your trip sounds good. Daytona is always fun, and you should enjoy Memphis too. But I have to say that you really should stop in Atlanta if you've never been there before, just so you can see a Southern Metropolis. and see the Olympic stuff they still have:rolleyes:

And I see you're going to cleveland, probably going to take I-75 up to I-80? In that part of the world, the really cool thing to do is to go to Cedar Point - the largest amusement park in the world, with over 16 roller coasters:eek: in one place. I think its near Sandusky, on the coast line...If i remember correctly...

EDIT: Make SURE, MAKE SURE that you do not come off as being an arrogant yankee (i.e. If you're at a Civil War site, etc. don't rub in the fact that the North won, and that you're from New York:lildevil:. Some people down here still harbor DEEP resentment towards people from up north, especially in the DEEP south (i.e. South Carolina, Georgia, 'bama, and Mississippi). Just thought i would let you know, and if you have an accent, don't let it bother you if people look at you funny, they just aren't used to seeing people from New York in that part of the country. Except of course for Florida:sneaky:

Adumb
07-25-05, 10:18 PM
alright, thanks for the tip, im not really a cocky person so im not too worried there, thanks though,

ben72227
07-25-05, 11:18 PM
Good, you should be fine then. Might I ask, when are you leaving and how long is your trip going to be?

adam_mcd
07-26-05, 05:10 AM
lots and lots of southren rock from the 60's/70's.

Adumb
07-26-05, 05:13 PM
we are leaving aug 6th and its probably gonna last about a week or more. trying not to put a scheduel on it too much

Dannillac
07-30-05, 11:04 AM
If you want a great Road Trippin CD .and you are trully a Cadillac Fan ...this new Disc " Fins, Chrome and the Open Road - A Tribute to the Cadillac is perfect...
The Sidewinders track alone ( which is on par with Golden Eariing's 70's smash hit "Radar Love" ) is the perfect road song. Check out samples of all of the songs at www.tributetothecaddy.com (http://www.tributetothecaddy.com) ....you won't be disapointed!
The Tracks on the CD are as follows.....

"Look At That Cadillac" - Mr. Nick's Blues Mafia

"Cadillac Mama" - David Maxwell

"Solid Gold Cadillac" - Maria Muldaur

"You're My Cadillac" - Nanette Workman

"Ride" - Tom Gillam

"Slick Black Cadillac Daddy" - The Sidewinders

"Brand New Cadillac" - Bob Walsh

"Mighty Fine Cruisin" - Charlie Musselwhite

"Caddy Daddy" - Robin Rogers

"Cadillac Tracks" - Jimmy Hall

"Don't Touch My Caddy" - Rory Block

"Bring Back That Cadillac" - The Melroys

"I Should Be Driving A Cadillac" - Bob Halperin

"Cadillac Ranch" - Rosie Flores

"One Piece At A Time" - Jim Lauderdale

"Cadillac Baby" - Chaz DePaolo featuring The Groundhogs

"Cadillac Forever" - Ottomatic Slim

"Cadillac Assembly Line" - George Kelly

"Cadillac Blues" - Monster Mike Welch

"I Ain't Got You" - Little Milton

"My Daddy's Cadillac" - Todd Thibaud
....Have a great Trip!

ben72227
09-07-05, 10:35 PM
So, how did it go?

Adumb
09-07-05, 10:52 PM
it was great, we went to atlantic city, stayed there a day. then went to raleigh, couldnt find anywhere to stay, like peoples houses. and drove to myrtle beach, stopped at south of the border. we slept in a parking lot on the ocean in myrtle, then went to deltona, which is right between orlando and daytona. stayed there for 3 or 4 days. then drove to memphos, got there late in the day, and headed home. it kinda sucked, cuz we didnt have enough money to do anything really cool. when we headed for memphis though, i had already been up for 14 hours, and i drove from jacksonville almost straight-through to memphis(i took a 45 minute nap, halfway) i was hopped up on energy drinks and no-doze. but it really was a hell of a time, we didnt really have time to go edisto, but maybe someday. id really like to do another roadtrip again soon.