: Can Onstar disable your engine?

dqw1
07-25-05, 01:50 PM
Sorry if this has been address'd. I tried searching On Star on it's site and using our search also, but if your vehicle was stolen, could On Star disable your engine or do something like reduce the engine power to help the police? I know they can do diagnotics if somethings wrong.:hmm:

Koooop
07-25-05, 02:54 PM
Could you imagine if On Star disabled the car and caused an accident? I believe the technology is in there but so is the liability.

Katshot
07-25-05, 03:01 PM
Yes, they can but they say they won't. :suspect:

dqw1
07-25-05, 04:39 PM
If someone had just stolen my car and I called OnStar and told them someone just stole my V and then found out they couldv'e disabled or reduced the engine power before some knuckle head wreaked or hurt someone, I would be pissed. Guess I didn't think of the liability issues involved.

05ctsvfan
07-26-05, 06:42 AM
People who steal these cars disable the on-star as step 1.

A guy who worked for me just bought a brand new escalade. Had it 3 weeks. It was stolen at lunch. He called on-star within an hour of it being stolen and no signal. I think a weakness is probably the documented location of the unit.

Onstar markets the theft, the real value is the emergency and help. If you looking at it to stop a theif you may be looking at the wrong product.

Can't understand with all the technology today why they can't have computer encryption (wireless) that starts the car so you could not hot wire these things.

dqw1
07-26-05, 08:44 AM
Guess I didn't think that the first thing for the SOB jacking your ride would be to disable OnStar first. I wouldn't be a good thief but I agree that there has to be a better way. I'm sure the technology is out there to at least slow the SOB's down from jacking cars. Oh well...I would love to be able to totally disable the engine once the car is alarmed so that it would completely useless without the key to a SOB thief

ChrisFrez
07-26-05, 12:12 PM
Don't the thiefs just snap off the OnStar antenna before they take the vehicle?

05ctsvfan
07-27-05, 06:55 AM
Maybe....never thought it could be that easy but maybe....they should bury the antenna in the roof panels....

Still think there is a better approach.....Like the Batman car....shields and all....I had my radio stolen in NJ 10 years ago...you get very bad thoughts about how to stop them after that.....razor lined dashes......poison gas.....etc....