: I think I have created a monster!

illumina
07-24-05, 11:40 PM
Sorry, this is considered a kill I guess, but I want everyone to hear this one without being in the seldomly viewed kill section.

So I am driving my '87 Seville with my 4.5 liter transplant today when I took notice on the power of the new engine...

Before I get to the power, I'll explain a couple of things first. This is my '87 Seville that I have had for close to 5 years now. Well over 3 years ago, she blew the intake gasket and an oil seal from the distro tube behind the tranny bellhousing, causing me to park her and buy my '91 because I simply didn't have the time to fix her back then and I needed a car el-pronto. Shortly after I parked her, a flood damaged the car and ruined the entire engine, which was the stock 4.1 liter engine. I changed her oil after the flood and started her back up, but alas, every possible noise that could come from an engine came from my old baby and she just died that very day...It was then time to consider either junking her, or wait until I put a new engine in her...

She sat for over 3 years, awaiting a new engine, then just a couple of months ago, boom: I finally completed the transplant after pulling the 4.1 liter with a brand new (rebuilt by your's truely) 4.5 liter engine that cost just under $600.00 to rebuild. The 4.5 liter was a pristine 207,000 mile engine from an '88 Sedan Deville from the bone yard for just over $100.00, and when the parts were included (bearings, gaskets, rings, all that shit), the total was just under the 600 previously mentioned.

So I have been puting some miles on her and driving her normally until today...

Now I realize that when breaking in a new engine, one should not abuse it until the 1000 mile mark, but I just had to see what she really had...

It wasn't a hard off-the-line burst or anything (but the tires will spin nicely :hide: ), but just a 30 to 50 mph roll race, but the young driver of an 2003 Ecotech Cavalier that saw the rear end of an '87 Seville with a slightly loud exhaust was likely surprised to say the least.

Before there are those critcs that say "oh boy, you beat on a 4-banger Chevy" or "the Cavy was playin' with your 4.1 liter ECM controlled Cadillac," I'll let you all in on a little secret:

15 psi fuel pressure over the stock 4.1 liter ratings of 9 to 13 psi...
3 degree timing advance,
Slight exhaust work too...
And a brand-new engine to boot.

So far, no noises from the engine, coolant flow is fine, and just a little exhaust smoke from either the break-in of the engine or a slightly rich fuel mixture. Either way, that's not a problem because it's so small.

Whatever the case, it sure feels good to have her back and running again, and no, this isn't going to be an everyday thing where I "test" the car's power...I just though that I would share my story.

Kev
07-24-05, 11:50 PM
Nice Mike! Sounds like it will be a great little ride. I'm sure that things will smooth out even more over time in the break in period.

majax
07-24-05, 11:53 PM
That is great! I assume this will put off considering a new car now?

Enjoy it!

illumina
07-25-05, 12:11 AM
That is great! I assume this will put off considering a new car now?

Enjoy it!

Can't really say right now, but it's cheaper and I just like the car...Always have!

One thing too, the fuel economy isn't as bad as I had forseen: 14.7 mpg city driving...Not too damn bad, but I still may be in the market for a late model Bimmer or something nice.

I may sell the '87 to my mother or let my neice have it when she is able to drive (16 years old this fall). I don't want to let the car out of my sights, so I may just keep her in the family...

Nice Mike! Sounds like it will be a great little ride. I'm sure that things will smooth out even more over time in the break in period.

As long as I don't race her! Not an issue though, I didn't make her to be a fast car, but she has it where it counts when needed I believe.

There have been a few problems, but minor to say the least. The idle speed controll (ISC) motor is bad, but that is an easy fix next payday.

majax
07-25-05, 12:15 AM
Shoot I want an uncle to give me a Cadillac.

illumina
07-25-05, 12:31 AM
Shoot I want an uncle to give me a Cadillac.

Sorry, I should clear that up some: someone will pay for the car...It just might be at a decent discount...

illumina
07-25-05, 12:55 AM
Sorry everyone, this picture is the '91 intake for Kev:

Kev
07-25-05, 12:58 AM
Sorry everyone, this picture is the '91 intake for Kev:Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:

illumina
07-25-05, 01:05 AM
Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:

No problem. I'll also be posting some pictures of the '87...She looks sooooo good under the hood.

Ralph
07-25-05, 01:07 AM
I thought the occasional "full blast accelleration" was good for a new engine? When Dad picked up his new DTS, they told him not to even maintain the same speed the whole trip back, and WOT it once in a while.....

illumina
07-25-05, 01:18 AM
I thought the occasional "full blast accelleration" was good for a new engine? When Dad picked up his new DTS, they told him not to even maintain the same speed the whole trip back, and WOT it once in a while.....

For an Northstar power car, that might be the case, but I just want to make sure things don't break too soon. Sorry, but for these sorts of things, I am usually very by-the-book and when I repair someone else's car to this magnitude, I give them the same instructions as if it were my own car after such repairs.

But a WOT blast never hurt anything I guess... :sneaky: Just wait until the 4.9 liter is finished with a turbocharger... :devil:

Also, within two weeks I plan to start rebuilding my '86 Deville (actually a Fleetwood), but she will be sold...

Ralph
07-25-05, 01:23 AM
For an Northstar power car, that might be the case, but I just want to make sure things don't break too soon. Sorry, but for these sorts of things, I am usually very by-the-book and when I repair someone else's car to this magnitude, I give them the same instructions as if it were my own car after such repairs.

But a WOT blast never hurt anything I guess... :sneaky: Just wait until the 4.9 liter is finished with a turbocharger... :devil:

Also, within two weeks I plan to start rebuilding my '86 Deville (actually a Fleetwood), but she will be sold...

I remember the dealer telling him it helps to seat the piston rings, or something.......I'm pretty sure it's in the manual too, but I realize the N* is a different beast.

p.s. I got to drive it a few weeks ago, and the 4.9 sure has a lot more torque down low!

illumina
07-25-05, 01:36 AM
I remember the dealer telling him it helps to seat the piston rings, or something.......I'm pretty sure it's in the manual too, but I realize the N* is a different beast.

p.s. I got to drive it a few weeks ago, and the 4.9 sure has a lot more torque down low!

Sorry, I thought you were talking about constant WOT blasting...Not good at all for a new engine in my book.

You're right to a degree: you actually should accelerate from 30-50 mph a few times to load the rings for break-in, I just don't normally kill the pedal when doing so. Today was the first time for that engine and it most certainly was a WOT blast! You should have heard that 4.5 liter purr...Nice!

addison_ii
07-25-05, 01:37 AM
It wasn't a hard off-the-line burst or anything (but the tires will spin nicely :hide: ), but just a 30 to 50 mph roll race, but the young driver of an 2003 Ecotech Cavalier that saw the rear end of an '87 Seville with a slightly loud exhaust was likely surprised to say the least.

Hey guys, if we start beating every car on the road then we won't have anyone who will want to race us. Tone it down will you!
*realizes he will probably get tarred and feathered for that one* Just kidding everyone it's the :drinker talking.:D

Kev
07-25-05, 01:42 AM
Old school rebuilds suggested to avoid constant speeds with new rings. You want to make sure the engine is sound for the first 500 miles or so and then start loading harder progressively until your first or second oil change. All things in moderation is a great rule of thumb for new engine break in.

Ralph
07-25-05, 01:44 AM
Just kidding everyone it's the :drinker talking.:D

As long it's not that Molson! Man, that stuff will have you proposing to women you only met earlier that day!!! :eek: :yup:

Kev
07-25-05, 01:46 AM
As long it's not that Molson! Man, that stuff will have you proposing to women you only met earlier that day!!! :eek: :yup:Or molesting penguins, one of the two...... :hide:

Ralph
07-25-05, 01:50 AM
Or molesting penguins, one of the two...... :hide:

Not if the penguin enjoyed it! :tisk: :shhh:

illumina
07-25-05, 02:15 AM
As long it's not that Molson! Man, that stuff will have you proposing to women you only met earlier that day!!! :eek: :yup:

I've done that before...Home on leave one Christmas/New Years ('99-'00) and my mother's neighbor looked aweful good after two bottles of champaign from a friends wedding that I had previously attended. This was the girl that lived on one side of my mother's duplex...

The other neighbor on the other side was the one that sold me this dark blue 1987 Cadillac Seville a full year later...$550.00 with a blown transmission...

majax
07-25-05, 02:40 AM
I am sorry you cannot take more than 2 glasses of champagne...?

wait...bottles!!!

illumina
07-25-05, 02:43 AM
I am sorry you cannot take more than 2 glasses of champagne...?

wait...bottles!!!

Bottles!!! :drinker :D

I was probably working on a third one too...

The girls at the wedding were, um, HOT! This neighbor was...Plain...Not ugly or anything, but just plain...She still lives at that apartment because my garage is next door to that place and I'm there quite often.

majax
07-25-05, 02:47 AM
Maybe you are married to her but just were to drunk to remember? ;)

addison_ii
07-25-05, 02:48 AM
Bottles!!! :drinker :D

I was probably working on a third one too...

The girls at the wedding were, um, HOT! This neighbor was...Plain...Not ugly or anything, but just plain...She still lives at that apartment because my garage is next door to that place and I'm there quite often.
The alcohol goggles had control that night.:histeric: .