: How many miles do you guys put on your cars every year?

Caddy Man
11-11-03, 07:36 PM
Whats up everyone? I have had my DTS for about 11 months now and i have put about 15,000 miles on it. Many people tell me its average but i feel i put on a lot. I do a lot of freeway driving. My car right now has 25,000 miles and i bought it used with only 10,000 on the odometer. But the car is a 2000 DTS, so i am WAY under the mileage i am supposed to have. Just wonderin how much u guys drive? I wish i didnt rack up all these miles so quickyl (i want my baby to be around forever!) but i just cant help it. :)

elwesso
11-11-03, 07:42 PM
Thats fairly normal..... Miles are sorta irrelant these days..... Id take a 10 year old car (same car) with 120k highway miles than 100k of all city driving.....

I am a student, and my school is about 6 miles away..... During the summer, work is only 1.4 miles away.... Thus, I have put on 4000 miles since I got it last Feb.......

airbalancer
11-11-03, 08:57 PM
WIth my pick up for work I have put on 90,000 since March of 2000
The wife drives the STS to work it is only 5 miles roung trip
With her 99 Grand Prix she only put on 56,000 on in 5 years
So the STS should last awhile.
Remember you bought the car to drive so do not worry about the miles and enjoy it

elwesso
11-11-03, 08:59 PM
Yes..... Especially if you plan on keeping it!!

The only way to get your moneys worth out of all of the rubber components is to drive the car!! They need to be replaced based on time, not on miles!

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 09:17 PM
I have put 5,500 mile son my car is under 3 months.

When I first got it on the road (early Aug) Hell, it's my first car and I just got my license, I would get up at 6 and go home at 9 and just drive all friggin day...times I filled up twice, even 3 times a day just becuase I drove soo much....

....at least I explored every single road within a 15mile radius of my house..... now I know short cuts I didn't before.

..... once the weather get's nice next summer, I am sure I am gonna be getting more miles on the car...if I end up getting a winter car, for 5 months or so the DeVille will not get any miles on it.

I also agree the miles do not seem to be a big factor, I remember 10 years ago when most used cars were 70's and 80's that it was the magical 100k miles...if a car had like 95k miles it was still good, if it had 105k miles it is old and bad, seems like a person woudln't even think twice about buying a newish car (mid 90's and up) with 100k miles.

Also if you look at it, people are driving a hell of a lot more, almost any '96-'98 car will have close to 100k miles, yet if you find a car form the 70's or 80's that was used every day but sat for the past few years or wasn't drivfen much, they only have 80k-120k miles on them.

my car was bought with 78k miles, I got it with 79,917 and right now I have 85,285 or so on it... still for an 11 year old car (this month actually) that isn't too bad.....

Sandy
11-11-03, 09:29 PM
3 thousand a year on my daily driver, a 2003 Town Car. My '93 Sixty Special has 9,400 miles on it, or 940 a year

elwesso
11-11-03, 09:30 PM
Yeah... I also notice that a lot of middle to older aged people tend to get rid of their cars early.... my dad has NEVER owned a car for over 30k miles, and has never had possession of a car with more than 50k miles.... I already have him beat at 123,750...... Same with my grandparents, they only kept their FWB because they think its the last of the real cadillacs ( :D ) and they wont want to get rid of it because cadillac wont design anything like it.... but, they still never drive it because they wanna keep the miles down....

I think I may start doing the driving all day thing.... Especially once I get my knock sensors replaced!

elwesso
11-11-03, 09:31 PM
Wow Sandy, thats impressive.... That 60special is really gonna be worth something someday!

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 09:49 PM
what drive all day thing?

elwesso
11-11-03, 09:51 PM
just drive all friggin day...times I filled up twice, even 3 times a day just becuase I drove soo much....

That thing..... :D

davesdeville
11-11-03, 11:28 PM
It's 6 mi round trip to my school, and 180 days a year... is 1080 miles a year, plus about 400 extra cause my friends all live within about 1/3 mile from my house. So maybe 1500/yr.

But the speedometer cable is still melted so NONE OF IT COUNTS! lol :)

Sandy
11-11-03, 11:59 PM
Wow Sandy, thats impressive.... That 60special is really gonna be worth something someday!

Ya, if I live THAT long. But, I will never, ever sell it! It's part of me. Now, with parts availabilty so spotty, I am deathly afraid of getting bumped or hit! Sure don't wanna put on junk-yard parts on a flawless, concours 9,400 mile car
:vomit:

JJhomer83
11-12-03, 12:55 AM

Ya, if I live THAT long. But, I will never, ever sell it! It's part of me. Now, with parts availabilty so spotty, I am deathly afraid of getting bumped or hit! Sure don't wanna put on junk-yard parts on a flawless, concours 9,400 mile car
:vomit:

about 20k a year. travel between work and going up north for skiing, fishin, huntin, and to the shore.

Caddy Man
11-12-03, 01:07 AM
I have put 5,500 mile son my car is under 3 months.

When I first got it on the road (early Aug) Hell, it's my first car and I just got my license, I would get up at 6 and go home at 9 and just drive all friggin day...times I filled up twice, even 3 times a day just becuase I drove soo much....

....at least I explored every single road within a 15mile radius of my house..... now I know short cuts I didn't before.

..... once the weather get's nice next summer, I am sure I am gonna be getting more miles on the car...

Yah i totally feel ya on that! When i first got my lisence all i would do is drive. I would coem home from school eat and then leave and explore everywhere. I would drive around, even if it was just by myself, for fun. But i guess the reason i am startin to put more on the caddy is i am a college student and i am always driving around place to place. It seems like none of my freinds are in one place so i am always around. Then i took teh caddy to chicago for a weekend and that put a lot on it there too. I guess to me it just seems like a lot because my family in general dont put that many miles on our cars at all because we live in a town where everything is nearby. But i live in detroit, i gotta drive outta the city to basically go anywhere.

Sandy
11-12-03, 10:08 AM
I did the same, caddyman! It's part of growing up, youth, new found freedom, exploring on your own, etc, etc. I recall going out on a Friday night between April & October & driving 100 miles, and never leaving 3 towns! Just around and around and around. It's the stuff future memories are made of. Enjoy your youth. Morgatges, college tuition, braces for kids, loans, work, work, work will all come soon enough!
Just be safe out there. Seat Belts, and common sence are key factors.

Caddy Man
11-12-03, 01:25 PM
I did the same, caddyman! It's part of growing up, youth, new found freedom, exploring on your own, etc, etc. I recall going out on a Friday night between April & October & driving 100 miles, and never leaving 3 towns! Just around and around and around. It's the stuff future memories are made of. Enjoy your youth. Morgatges, college tuition, braces for kids, loans, work, work, work will all come soon enough!
Just be safe out there. Seat Belts, and common sence are key factors.
;) I agree

92_Deville_on_20's
11-18-03, 03:47 PM
I average about 20-25K a year. I drive 65 miles roundtrip back and forth to work, not including all the other ripping and running that I do.

My wife put 32K on her brand new SUV this year.

Here in Atlanta it is normal, you have to drive long distances to get to things around here. Where I live in the out skirts of the metro area I'm about 7-8 miles from the nearest grocery store.

I think that miles don't really hurt the car as much as neglect, abuse, and driving short distances.

Highway miles don't hurt a car.

NCGNETO90
11-23-03, 05:03 PM
I have owned my 91 DeVille for almost a year now and i have put almost 6K miles on it. But i think that is because i have 2 other cars that i love to drive as well. I dont take the DeVille on very many road trips. Usually i take one of my sports cars. The way i drive on the highway it is cheaper gas wise to take one of my 7's.

theodorei
12-01-03, 08:57 AM
Hey Driver,

100 miles per day for me for work purposes only. Everything else is beyond that. That works out roughly to about 30,000 miles per year. Wish I didn't have to put so many miles on commuting, but most of the miles are on the freeways at high speeds. I change the oil (synthetic) religiously.

T

gothicaleigh
12-01-03, 02:01 PM
I've put 30,000 miles on my CTS in the year and a half that I've owned it. I don't know how you guys can keep your miles per year in the 4 digit range. Do you live next door to work?

JJhomer83
12-01-03, 02:20 PM
I've put 30,000 miles on my CTS in the year and a half that I've owned it. I don't know how you guys can keep your miles per year in the 4 digit range. Do you live next door to work?

If i didn't go fishing i would do about 7k a year b/c of work is 6 miles each way. Old job was 2 miles roundtrip. I put on most of miles going fishing/hunting and recreation.