: Girl-owned 72 Eldo Convertible, has a nice ring haha

LilaGirl72Eldo
07-24-05, 01:12 AM
Hey guys! I'm Lila from the bay area, 21, and proud owner of this >>

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid173/p9f33865a103d47560f1bf792e6cbbc8d/f3a72e60.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid173/p1f12b8ac3d7da1d2d051cb89de24f06d/f3a72e5e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/pea53f0c46d40e9e2a9862a56092f8ff9/f395e1be.jpg

I bought her as my very first car, waited a bit because I have always loved the ghetto boats we cruise in my town and could never see myself paying for a new plastic toy car they sell teenage girls in the US. Ever since I was a little girl I've been turning 180s to watch every shiny 'lac, continental, cutlass, skylark etc that I see on street parade. I was obsessed with horses until I discovered these cars. I'm very lucky I found my dream car at the moment I did, I bought it on my birthday and it's the prettiest thing I've ever had or touched or earned for myself.

okay, so enough of my love story. My Caddy is a 72 El Dorado Convertible all original and restored, say perhaps 97% without flaws or malfunctions. She has a radio that is out of commision, but I felt that was just a direct invite for me to put the best sound I could assemble in her guts at my will down the line. She was restored by a man on my street as a pet project of his, and he has been at this for 40 years with a new challenge every 6 months just because he finds joy in it. He invested quite a bit of experience and funds into her, I won't list all his work but new top, paint, leather, and tons of stuff in the major internal organs, you get the picture..

I saw this pristine Cadillac uncovered in his driveway on the corner two blocks from me a handful of times in the months he had her, and every time I got the rush and started oozing praises and announcing how badly I wanted to see it for sale. I wished for that kind of miracle to anyone stuck in the car as we drove by, and they all liked that damn thing too. I assumed I was wishing for something I'd never get obviously.

I drove by as he put the for sale sign on her in the morning, hopped out of the F150 mid intersection and skipped up to get the info. He was with a friend, and they were confused I think until I asked if they were the owner and I immediately started telling them I was the person who would buy this from them in an instant and no hassling with other parties was really worth him wasting his time. They kinda laughed, but I mentioned how I'd told my housemates this car was meant to be mine many times over, and that I had cash waiting and I was as serious and bullshit-free as anyone who'd call him, and honestly he might have believed me after that.

I don't know if I got priority by being there before anyone else saw the sign, or if the jasmine scent I was wearing that both men noticed and commented on before we started the conversation was what gave me some edge the next few days of the sale. Either way I was just happy to be dealing with a seller who took and answered my calls, was polite and non-pushy with all my questions and requests, didn't threaten to give her away to the other guy to manipulate me (well, he still had his car sales tone and technique in action, but I bet I got his best attitude compared to how dudes are while dealing with this shit), and was able to make him interested enough in my money that it was all smooth and easy sailing.

He gave me an initial price, a few days and a G came off. then he kinda started to sound like he was liking the thought of me owning the car and I tried to work that angle a bit, telling him about the cute stuff I started this thread with and selling him my little girl dreams (in a business way, girls use this trick on all of you!). he had a kid too and I think that made his generosity ooze because he calls me one day and says he wants me to take her so he would lower the price 2 more Gs== now she cost exactly what I wanted to pay before I heard the price. (it's disgusting because this car is worth at least 50x what I paid.. I see people in dinky lexus cars that cost half their soul and I don't get it. I never will understand the logic of those types)

I bought her, and I gave him bills which he was so startled by he nearly took a seat. That felt great. What a high, soooo high.

We took her to a mechanic friend for a tune up and took off for Las Vegas to celebrate my 21st in the honor of the late Hunter S. Thompson. My Cadillac, a 72, is the second year the convertible Eldo was produced, and the 71 is "The White Whale" driven in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, and this was a ****ing great birthday coincidence I intended to fully live up to.

Here's a screen still of the 71 driven by Depp in the movie...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/pf73a4b991925b9afe08cb7630a2736be/f411813d.jpg

That's my story. I am glad to meet other people who share my admiration of these beasts. If other owners on this board are girls too, say hi & let me know! :) I'm looking around at user names and I bet I'm one of the few. That's nothing new as I'm a guy's girl day to day, but I'm curious about girls because people have told me, including the previous owner, "why would you want this kind of car??". ;) I'm just that kind of girl.

eldorado99
07-24-05, 01:58 AM
Hi there! :welcome: and, nice Eldorado!

I have a similar history to yours (except I'm a guy) as far as the 180s to every old boat I saw (and still see). Hell I even caught myself staring extra long at a beat up old Mercury Cougar today at Safeway. Something about big old boats, I dont knw what it is. I am curious as to how much gas costs you for that thing, as I am seriously considering an Eldorado that is nearby, its even a black one, my favourite colour Eldos. But I am only 17 and I don't make much money yet, while I'm sure I can afford to gas up in a 70's Eldo, I'm not sure I can afford to and still do anything else I want to. I have to say, from what I have calculated (I estimate about 80 dollars a week or so as opposed to my current 40) it still seems worth it. I would simply have too much fun.

Ralph
07-24-05, 02:11 AM
Hi Lila! Welcome aboard! :coolgleam

That's beauty! The car isn't bad either. :shhh:

Kev
07-24-05, 03:04 AM
Welcome Lila. Your Cad is sweet. You should learn how to tune and maintain it yourself if you don't already know.
Good luck with it!

Night Wolf
07-24-05, 03:24 AM
oh man....

1972 Eldorado.... one of my favorite years for the Eldo...

The white is a very nice color...

but... WHITE LEATHER... my all time favorite interrior...ever!... gosh...

throw in the 500 under the hood, and the fact it is a convertible, and that makes me a very jealous person!..... about the only thing I don't like about that car is it is FWD....

wow! very nice though!

Boombotz
07-24-05, 03:44 AM
Hi Lila,

Very nice and :welcome: to the forums.

ben72227
07-24-05, 05:34 AM
I wish it were mine:crying:

Welcome to the forums:D

Boombotz
07-24-05, 06:02 AM
Gee I wonder why this one has more views then the other ones? :p