: Third time is not the charm - Another blown diff'

CVP33
07-23-05, 09:05 PM
That's right. Moments ago, my rear differential had a catastrophic failure. Fluid trailing the car as I coasted into a parking lot. Got underneath and sure enough the entire housing is cracked. It's been howling here lately but I sure didn't expect this. I doubt I'll be getting a S/C anytime soon. :nono:

naiculnila
07-23-05, 09:09 PM
that's a shame man! good luck with the 4th man! At least now u have the option for lemon law! if im not mistaken!

heavymetals
07-23-05, 09:09 PM
RAT'S!!!

Sorry for your problem.

HDMLNIUM
07-23-05, 09:18 PM
Very sorry to hear this, someone needs to offer us a better Diff!!!!!!!!!

I am sure many would buy...:yup:

Bill

BliTzer
07-23-05, 09:21 PM
Damn CVP33, your hell on wheels my brother...
That is freakin insane. I cant even express in words what to tell you.
Im telling you guys, i really stick with my guns here on this & think CERTAIN DIFFS made at X location with certain BATCH #'s is bad.. How can this be happening this many times. I have drove my V hard, raced it hard against m5's and faster, vipers... shifted like a mad man... and have put my car up on the racks, did 3 walk unders in last 9 weeks... nothing, not one leak, not one thing i found but a loose bolt on crossbar.

CVP33, i would have them order another diff from clear across the USA. Check your numbers on the diff, write em all down, accept nothing similiar. I asked Kachina Caddy here in Phoenix about this, they said that since the V has reached there lot, on the market to sell, NOT ONE has been in for failed, cracked, diff. They have had 2 that needed oil in them, but they came not leaking.. could have been sent out from factory that way.. weird.

if it was me, & i went thru this shit, this many times.... two things come to mind... burn it in front of dealer, and get new DIFFERENT car, or take course of action to see why, what & when, plus wtf is going on with this...
Even though mine has been ok, it makes me nervous and a nervous driven performance car is not worth a shit.

ctsvett
07-23-05, 09:26 PM
CVP,
Ok, even I am suspecious now... Maybe you should have a different dealer do the install now. Maybe the install is causing the problem (not torqueing properly). I have a hard time believing that 3 different diffs have had that problem...

Is your dealer rebuilding the diff in house or replacing the whole pumpkin?

Reed

joshdctsv
07-23-05, 09:46 PM
At some point you have to start thinking it's something else "up stream" causing your problems... or is your luck reallly that bad?

CVP33
07-23-05, 09:52 PM
Let me clarify. My first rear diff' was on my 2004. Completely replaced. The first problem with the 2005 was actually a blown outter half shaft. The second problem with the 2005 was a blown inner half shaft. Now the case has cracked damn near in half. They will NOT be rebuilding this rear.

As for the dealer, I honestly don't think it's them. A cracked housing is not a technician issue. The rear diff' is under-rated and the car hops like mad. I believe that these two issues contribute significantly to the short lived rear end.

A new one is great. I will again break it in carefully for 500 miles and then do a fluid change as well to clean out the break in metal. The same way I did on the first one. My fear is that I'll be right back here again in another 10,000 miles.

akm2k5
07-23-05, 09:57 PM
wasnt there a few people who said they broke in their diff very agressively and havent had any problems with them?

BliTzer
07-23-05, 10:12 PM
CVP,

Im trying to find this website.. I built a new pc, so i lost all my favs.. but i found a site and they had rear diffs that would fit vettes, and our V... hey were a little pricy, but bullet proof from there statements... I just hope i can find it. It was by luck when i found it the first time... I was looking for hi perf injectors for my V when i ran across it.. So im going to try same search pattern & maybe i will get lucky. I kept saved incase samething happened to me, i was going to buy one, and make GM do the difference in math of the price, since warranty would cover anyway.

i will let you soon as i find it..

later blitzer

heavymetals
07-23-05, 10:18 PM
Didn't someone float a rumor about a cast iron housing?

I haven't had any problem with mine but I am still under 10k mi.

GAGS-V
07-23-05, 10:45 PM
Man, that does suck! I agree with Blitzer and now I am getting a bit nervous also. I have 5,100 miles, on the west coast, driven hard (not brutal) and I do not have the problem (yet). Makes you kinda wonder if they did make the rears in a couple of different places. No S/C (or any other mods) here yet...

GAGS-V
07-23-05, 10:57 PM
Another odd thing I just noticed, it sounds like you really take care of things. On mine, I did the break in routine (sort of) and when I brought mine in for oil an oil change (not a pleasant trip) at 4,500 I asked them to change the rear fluid but was told "don't worry, it's too new to have that done yet". Still not done yet at 5,100 and now I'm getting nervous. GM, (Cadillac) are you out there?

V_Power
07-23-05, 11:14 PM
Wow, you guys and your need to launch this thing like an f'ing top fuel dragster.

BliTzer
07-23-05, 11:15 PM
Gags, I have 4000k on my 05 v. I just had rear fluid checked on mine about 2 weeks back. When i did my OIL COOLER install, i had them change & check all fluids.
Now my invoice shows they did, all was ok.. including entire driveline...
Hopefully no BS happened and all was checked and/or changed..
Since mine was checked recently, and we both are close on mileage, i hope this gives you some ease of mind somewhat. If yous is not leaking atm, thats good, real good... thats why i keep such a nervous eye on my diff.. Everytime i park it in the garage, or take it out, i look at fresh concrete for any types of fluid... So far not even a dribble.
The only fluid i had come out of V was one day here in Phoenix, beginning of summer heat adventure i smelled coolant.. I think my car got a little warm, maybe a slight run off due to pressure escaping...
We have some specail here, like a early warning device within these forums. I say each of us better take heed and listen, watch, & log some reports on paper of anysort of diffs problems.. from beginning to end... Go back over the logged reports to see if there is any repeat, rinse, wash symptoms, going on... certains conditions can cause problems, and those conditions might be able to be repeated... if so, we got em.

later blitzer

BliTzer
07-23-05, 11:19 PM
V Power i have never, never once jet launched mine, dropped clutch, rev to 5k then BAM.... i never do that, in fact i never had have reason to. All my racing is done by letting off, get a roll going, then romp.... it fast enuff to me that way & i have not lost to anything as of yet.. but i have alot of mods, i must have 90k in my V... call it crazy.. but thats my thing.

later.. blitzer

GNSCOTT
07-23-05, 11:27 PM
Are you trying to say your rear ends all let go, all 3 of them under "normal " driving and not while you were driving it hard and the rear was hopping?

DILLIGAF
07-24-05, 12:14 AM
Sorry,hang in there.I have 6000 miles of maggied driving and 20000 total miles on the diff.It seems to be in perfect working order,(knock on wood).I hope your dealer gets you back on the road soon.

CVP33
07-24-05, 12:27 AM
Are you trying to say your rear ends all let go, all 3 of them under "normal " driving and not while you were driving it hard and the rear was hopping?

First one (2004) let go while driving down the road at a steady speed. First half shaft let go going around a corner and shifting from first to second. Under 3,500 rpms. Second half shaft let go trying to pull out of my neighborhood. First gear launch under 2,000 rpms and 10 mph. This time let go approximately 25-35 mph shifting into second around 3,500 rpm at speed.

I believe that the impact from the previous half shafts failing fatigued or otherwise comprimised the rear differential housing. I also think that the howling I've been hearing lately was most likely the case coming apart and deflecting under load.

wildwhl
07-24-05, 01:42 AM
CVP33 -

I hope I don't have the luck you have had with diff/rear end problems.

My 3rd diff is holding strong, not really broke in properly, 2 fluid changes (1 @ 500 and 1 @ about 4500, IIRC) and a TON of hard driving. I don't drop the clutch - but I do like to mark my space a time or two, if you know what I mean (and I don't mean like a panhead Harley).

Actual split housings seriously bother me...GM...what's the deal?

OuTLAw
07-24-05, 02:28 AM
I drive my car pretty hard every day since the day I got it and so far no problems whatsoever with my V. She purrs like a kitten. Currently have 5700 miles on it and had the oil changed 3 times (500, 3000, and 5600 miles) and just had the tranny and the diff fluids changed Thursday. Gags, I suggest you goto Mark Christopher Cadillac and ask for Scott. He will take good care of you. Sucks to hear that so many V owners are having problems with the rear end weather it is the wheel hop or the diff. I want to continue my love for GM but things like this make me think that American auto manufacturers still have a long way to go if they want to compete with the Japanese and Europeans. I wish that GM would stop trying to cut corners and put a little more effort in building better quality. Seeing GM develop cars like the V makes me think that they are headed in the right direction but when I see things like diff failures, lackluster interior for a $50,000 car, etc...it makes me wonder if all GM cares about is their bottom line.

BliTzer
07-24-05, 03:46 AM
Outlaw i agree.. I am hoping more on the lines though, that the failures will lay with the manufacturing companies that makes parts for GM..

Now get this. Really take this in deeply. The tremec 6 speed we have. Just think if it was the problem & it was blowing apart.
Do each of you know how many auto companies use that tranny... VIper, GT mustangs Cobras, our V's, even Chrysler will be adding it to many sport performance type cars.. So, this diff i wonder how many auto companies use parts from the same manufacture that is making our Diff & drivline features...
Would be awesomw to know if ford, chevy, viper plants ect... If they are having failures from related parts from same metals source as our diff...

I have seen so many connect a dots ppl & and it makes one big circle.. happens all the time. rem what the blitzer has said here... ;)

later blitzer

trekster
07-24-05, 07:13 AM
wow, I've had my car for about a year now with about 11.5k miles and still haven't blown my diff....no whine or any leaks as of yet.....maybe i'm not driving hard enough even though I do some pretty high clutch dumps.

urbanski
07-24-05, 09:49 AM
Wow, you guys and your need to launch this thing like an f'ing top fuel dragster.
and..?
i beat the sh!t out of mine and it's fine. Original diff. And I'm certain I'm doing 400RWHP or close to it now.

lasstss
07-24-05, 11:43 AM
I have made up a few pinion reinforcement rings. The case might pop but the ring will definetly hold the nose of the case together. GM put a screwball bolt pattern on the thing and I will have to rework them to fit properly. It will also come with slightly longer 10.9 bolts. I'll announce when I get them done. Whatever they cost plus shipping.

willsctsv
07-24-05, 01:58 PM
I blew the first rear at 3000 miles. Having just got the car, I was doing wheel hoppin burnouts, figuring the car was made to handle this abuse.
Then the whine started and I bought the pinion support and BMRAWK. I thought I could save the Diff from further damage.
NOPE!
So at 3k A new diff went in. I have a slight leak only when I track the car, Possibly from high "G" cornering. I come home, wipe it down, drive hard every day. No leaks. Gear Whine has come back after 500 miles on the new diff, but with the BMR parts, some of that noise is normal. The B&B cancels it out!
Now I have 5500 on the new diff, it seems to be holding up. I think feathering the clutch on those launches, has helped. The violent wheel hopping is leading to diff failures. Not 100% of the time, but the hopping speed things up.

GAGS-V
07-24-05, 03:28 PM
Blitzer and Outlaw, thanks for the tips. I am going to go out and just let-er rip, do the proper maintenance and have fun with the car. I think all the bad rears are on the east coast anyway:suspense:

thebigjimsho
07-25-05, 12:25 AM
Well, I've had the B&B X-pipe exhaust on for over a week, have it now in Indy and it's not as loud as my 2nd diff at highway speeds. But so far it's stayed together. But my first one's casing did the San Andreas faultline imitation as well.

Vrocks
07-25-05, 12:31 AM
That's right. Moments ago, my rear differential had a catastrophic failure. Fluid trailing the car as I coasted into a parking lot. Got underneath and sure enough the entire housing is cracked. It's been howling here lately but I sure didn't expect this. I doubt I'll be getting a S/C anytime soon. :nono:
That's ridiculous. I know I've been lucky but if I did have multiple failures there's no way I'd put up with it. Hope you have better luck with the fourth one.

Dave's V
07-25-05, 12:57 AM
That's ridiculous. I know I've been lucky but if I did have multiple failures there's no way I'd put up with it. Hope you have better luck with the fourth one.

Yeah, the dealer would be sued if they didn't take a lemon car that I owned back. 4th would definitely qualify as a lemon in just about every state.

CVP33
07-25-05, 06:42 PM
I'm preparing myself for a legal battle. Regional Service Rep' has been called in to review my case. The same rep' who alleged abusive driving with my first two half shaft failures. I ready to sue if I have to. His proof? If the rear end broke it MUST be abusive driving.

akm2k5
07-25-05, 08:44 PM
Abusive driving? Hmm.. Well, who bought the car to drive it like a toyota prius?

I'm preparing myself for a legal battle. Regional Service Rep' has been called in to review my case. The same rep' who alleged abusive driving with my first two half shaft failures. I ready to sue if I have to. His proof? If the rear end broke it MUST be abusive driving.

ctsvett
07-25-05, 09:01 PM
CVP,
If it goes any further than discussions, give me a call.. I have some data that might be helpful for your case that abusive driving was NOT the reason everything failed.. if the regional rep knew anything at all, he would not fight that case.

send me an e-mail.

Reed

07-25-05, 09:41 PM
I would think that a DVD with the BANG commercial, or even just the brochure that advertises 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, should put them at a loss to define exactly what "abusive driving" is. And you might want to make sure that they know that a copy of your legal complaint will get sent to all the major auto mags, and posted on Bulletin Boards around the globe.

No defamatory acts there; just giving the public access to public documents. Seriously though if your regional rep is the same one that we have here in NoVa, I can't beleive that you will have a real issue. But you should probably stop bringing it in for routine service with the tires and the clutch still smoking.....:D