Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to replace tail light on ATS?

28K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  apersson 
#1 ·
Hi all,

One of the tail lights on our '13 ATS is cracked and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what steps are needed to remove one of the tail lights? (in this case it is the driver's side)

Thanks in advance for any help.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Thanks for the replies all. Yup I know the entire tail light has to be replaced.

Stevo.. I had seen that diagram because my dealer quoted me $427 + tax for the part alone so I had searched for other sources. The diagram does give an idea of how it's fastened. I was hoping there was a step by step diy that maybe someone had posted with more details.

Guess I will just have to give it a go.

Thanks again!

#13 ·
actually... ? or is this "best practice" every other GM i've owned never needed to remove the bumper to get the lights out... dammit caddy :( (i know this is an old thread but im getting ready to tint my tails and this is a real drag, can someone confirm this is actually the case)

#19 ·
I also swapped mine without the rear fascia removal. It took less than 20 minutes. There are just a few nuts holding the tail light in. I PM'd Whitty29 before doing so and below is the info he gave me.

"That clip that you're talking about on the bottom, I just managed to slightly "flex" the bumper , it sounds way scarier than it is, you almost can get it out without even touching the bumper and pulling the light but i wanted to make sure i didn't scratch the paint when the clip came out. so all you have to do is removed the bolts from the back side, and it comes right out. I feel like there was a plastic cover up top as well that pulled off. i did my lights last fall i dont recall having any issues with them but like you i was scared when i was reading about full on bumper removal."

The plastic cover at the top he is referring to is easy to remove. Carefully unsnap the bottom section first and I think you slide the top section towards the front of the car a bit. You don't want to break this piece. I think it costs around $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.