: wheel shimmy

sharky1
07-22-05, 06:04 PM
at 68 mph, I have a steering wheel shimmy...have has the wheels rebalanced, still there...car has 400 miles in it...does anyone know what the cause is?

Florian
07-22-05, 06:45 PM
yes, spending 45+K on a V causes it. Have your wheels load balanced.

F

Loadtoad
07-22-05, 08:02 PM
I just got back from a dealer who is "troubleshooting" my dancing steering wheel because they already balanced the tires 2 times. They said it does not dance anymore so I asked to take the tech for a ride to show me it's fixed. I left the dealership, accelerated to 65mph, and simply asked the tech to look at the steering wheel shaking. I have no idea what is so damn hard about getting this car fixed but it's getting very old! The irritating thing is that 2 techs and the service advisor collectively put 80 miles on the car today and they swear it's good while it takes me a 1/2 mile to prove them wrong.

Stangar
07-22-05, 10:24 PM
THIS THREAD DID IT! I'm looking for a different car to purchase. I can't spend 46,000 on a headache no matter what great power, looks, or advantages it has. Thanks for the convincing argument.

Rich H
07-22-05, 11:59 PM
To make a long story short - I've been through all of this and the way it was solved was to replace all 4 wheel and tire assemblies from another V. Some dealers just plain don't know how or don't want to take the time to do it right. After 2 tries at rebalancing the dealer gave up and replaced everything. After putting over 5,000 miles on the tires no front wheel shimmy or any other vibration has returned.

Bottom line - don't let a few unresolved incidents like this make you think any less of the V. These problems CAN be fixed.

MCTS-V
07-23-05, 01:01 AM
Guys, Rich H is correct. I just went through hell with the same problem. It turns out one of the front tires is defective and that caused the problem. I had my rears (have 1200 miles on the car) put on the front and the shimmy went away. Problem is the dealer is just being a complete ass about the issue. Said there was "no major vibration" in the wheel. Oh yeah, there was vibration just not major. So I had to spend my own money, again, to solve the problem. Now the dealer will replace the tire though they will first have to road force balance the tire and then call Goodyear. GM dealers are horrible, the worst I have ever worked with; never again for me. What sucks is the car is really nice and I love to drive it. Good luck with the fix. :banghead:

SBONES
07-23-05, 11:29 AM
I must say dealer did mine and the shim is gone. new tires and wheels. still have a slight vib in the rear....only in 6th....maybe to low of a gear....dont get rid of the car. Fix.....theres nothing realy out there thats any better....within reason...:yup: