: Magnacharger Group Buy?

RIescalade
07-22-05, 10:12 AM
Anyone interested in a Group Buy? I have contacted 5 vendors and I have some good pricing 5 gets them for 5100.00 and if we can get 10 people we will get the kit for around 4800.00 Everyone will pay the same and will be able to contact the vendor directly. This is for the non-polished kit BTW.

I have heard that this price is close to cost. If anyone has any suggestions or questions please let me know.

***This does not include install (you will have to take care of that)

Ben-

naiculnila
07-22-05, 10:47 AM
OH man.......if only i had the money! or dind't want to screw up my warranty!

V-seriesTech
07-22-05, 10:58 AM

Find yourself a good dealership brother...

naiculnila
07-22-05, 12:10 PM
I've tried......and all are either a bunch of idiots or couldn't care less! If anyone can suggest a good one in the Philadelphia, PA area....i would appreciate it!

sti convert
07-22-05, 12:40 PM
Damn...you mean that after spending $2K for emergency surgery on our dog that I could have had half a Maggie instead?

Mowgli
07-22-05, 12:52 PM
I'd be interested - if we can get 10.

Luna.
07-22-05, 12:52 PM
Add me to that list...

I anticipate purchasing one within the next few weeks, so that price would be excellent.

Even 5 would please me, to say nothing about getting 10 people.

Mowgli--Of course 10 is better, but 5 is a pretty good deal! :)
Riescalade--what vendors did you have in mind? Clearly, I would want to get from an authorized vendor only :)

1gCtsV05
07-22-05, 12:58 PM

exactly... if i wasnt trying to save $$$ for a condo/house!!! :annoyed:

Florian
07-22-05, 12:59 PM
Thats a great deal....almost dealer cost...dang close. You wont find any better pricing on the Maggie. Unfortunately, I already have a source and cant join the GB

F

Mowgli
07-22-05, 01:00 PM
Mowgli--Of course 10 is better, but 5 is a pretty good deal!

Not sure I want it though. I had a SC on my last car and I'm not a fan of the sound. I like the sound of the LS6. Trust me with a SC you hear nothing of that, just the SC whine.

So I'm thinking for $4,800 I could suck it up and let it sit in my garage while I vacillated. And turn it back over to ebay later for a nice discount for someone else with no out of pocket on my part should I change my mind. Thats all I'm thinking: a safe "change of mind" price.

SBONES
07-22-05, 01:01 PM
I second that on the good dealership in pa call. Mine wont like that..I added a cai and they took pics of it...

Luna.
07-22-05, 01:06 PM
Yeah, but you could still do the same at ~$5,100 to...:)

Avejoe
07-22-05, 01:16 PM
Count me in, I heard that there in Black now too ! that's what I want. I already have the price for the install and dyno with the warranty on drive train

Luna.
07-22-05, 01:50 PM
I just got off the phone with Magna Charger. The rep informed me that they do *not* offer a S/C in black...

Hopefully, that doesn't impact your decision to get one though

Avejoe
07-22-05, 02:01 PM
I'm still in

heavymetals
07-22-05, 02:56 PM
Is it the # of kits or does it have to be for the CTS-V?

If it is the #, I might be interested in one for my Z06.:suspense:

I think I should buy stock in Magnuson.:D

Luna.
07-22-05, 03:15 PM
Great question--hopefully Reis will get back to us. I would assume that it would be any supercharger, but let's confirm

kimcheejeegae
07-22-05, 03:29 PM
damn it.. that's a good price... i wish i had the cash.... anyone want to donate to the kimchee fund??? =)) i'll make us proud and bring some more kills and videos. =))

Texan V
07-22-05, 04:10 PM
Heck for 4,800 I'd be willing to take the plunge. I was going to wait until after heads and cam to go the SC route, but this would be too good to pass up on. Now how to sneak it past the wife :hmm: ???

bryce3
07-22-05, 04:32 PM
Heck, I'm down. I missed out on the last group buy b/c I was out of town. Do a head count and see if we have our 10 members and PM me with what you'll need to seal the deal.
-Sean

keeksv
07-22-05, 05:22 PM
Another question is how/if we get the 3/36K warranty with the group buy. ?Inquiring minds want to know.

Avejoe
07-22-05, 05:48 PM
Contact your installer !, before the buy, give him aheads up, and he will give u the same! Apples to Apples

Avejoe
07-22-05, 05:51 PM
Common Guys and girls, now is the time, to invest in what U like !

keeksv
07-22-05, 05:52 PM
I'm talking about the Magnacharger warranty, not the Caddy warranty, are you?

ew

Avejoe
07-22-05, 06:04 PM
Mag and drive train, the works, as far as I understand

Luna.
07-22-05, 06:08 PM
If we are contacting the vendor, my guess would be that we shouldn't have a problem getting the "Magna" warranty (that would be a deal killer to me if I wasn't able to get it).

As far as the warranty goes, I contacted a representative from the insurance company for Magna charger (Dell I think). He represented to me that the warranty covers the engine and the transmission (save for parts that wear out, like the clutch). It does NOT cover the rear-end...

I will follow up more though to confirm

keeksv
07-22-05, 06:16 PM
As far as the warranty goes, ..... It does NOT cover the rear-end...

I will follow up more though to confirm

Anyone have the Maggie warranty out there?

Avejoe
07-22-05, 06:48 PM
Just took a good rip. Nope, dosn't need it , but, it wants it, wicked bad !!!!!

StealthV
07-22-05, 06:56 PM
FYI - an aftermarket tune voids the warranty on the Maggie.

The Maggie begs for a custom tune.

Summary, the warranty is near worthless. Save your money for a shifter or something else useful. ;)

Luna.
07-22-05, 09:47 PM
Anyone have the Maggie warranty out there?

I can guarantee that is what the insurance gentlemen informed me, in no unclear terms. As that is straight from the "horse's mouth," I'd probably assign a 99% probability that that is accurate. I just wanted to confirm with someone at Magna, but I was unable to get ahold of them today (stupid meeting lasted a few hours longer then initially projected).

I'm not sure, however, that I agree the warranty is near worthless. $200 for a 3/36 warranty that covers the engine and trans isn't that bad in my mind. And I'll trust the tune that Magna set up; hell, with the Magna tune as is, the car puts down more power then the traction can handle (in a lot of situations) anyways...

StealthV
07-22-05, 10:12 PM
If one installs the Maggie themselves, the warranty is void. That makes it worthless for me right there.

The issue with the stock Maggie tune isn't horsepower, it is drivability. If you have a Maggie, you need a Stealth tune. Point number 2. Warranty is worthless. :)

The engine and the trans aren't what would worry me as a Maggie owner. Why don't they warranty the breakable bits like rear axle and half shaft assemblies? Hmm? If one warranties the parts that never break, it certainly makes more money.... :shhh:

Luna.
07-22-05, 10:21 PM
If my count is accurate & no opinions have changed, we are at 7 people that are interested in a group buy at this time. We are almost there!

This assumes 2 things though that I'm not certain:

1) Riescalade (Ben) is purchasing one (it makes sense, but I'm not 100% sure)
&
2) Heavymetals can get one for his Z06 & that counts towards the 10 needed.

Hopefully Ries (Ben) will respond and will coordinate everything. He has sketched some broad strokes, but I'd like to see the "fine print" of how exactly we are going to pull this off. :coolgleam

Luna.
07-22-05, 10:30 PM
If one installs the Maggie themselves, the warranty is void. That makes it worthless for me right there.

Aye--it needs to be installed by an ASE certified mechanic to "guarantee" the work. I can understand, however, their desire to implement that rule, regardless of the fact that some individuals might be just as qualified as your typical ASE mechanic...

The issue with the stock Maggie tune isn't horsepower, it is drivability. If you have a Maggie, you need a Stealth tune.

Please explain more, as I would be interested to hear about this.

The engine and the trans aren't what would worry me as a Maggie owner. Why don't they warranty the breakable bits like rear axle and half shaft assemblies? Hmm?

I agree that not warranting the rear-end is distressing. It suggests to me that they did some studies and that they would lose money warranting it. I plan on (somewhat) getting around this by putting several thousand into the rear-end, but who the heck really knows. This fact, however, still doesn't make the warranty qualify as "worthless" in my opinion.

If one warranties the parts that never break, it certainly makes more money.... :shhh:

Thanks for the tidbit. One could also reverse that logic--if one warranties the parts that always break, it certainly will lose money (unless they charge an egregious amount for insurance...). Not sure what point this is making, save for some basic accounting knowledge.

StealthV
07-22-05, 10:43 PM
If one pays a Maggie approved shop to install it and then never ever makes another change to the car - then the warranty may provide a little piece of mind to the owner.

From my gearhead, never pay anyone to turn a wrench, always changing something on the car to make it better, gearhead mentality; the warranty has way too many loop holes in the coverage.

The stock Maggie tune left lots of room on the table for improvements...lots of room. :)

Good luck on the group buy; the low end torque is addiciting. :cheers:

2004ctsv
07-22-05, 10:50 PM
We have aM aggie dealer in Washington PA who has installed at least one that I know of.

If you can get it down to 4800, I'm ready. And either a Stealth tune or the local shop tune should top it out.

Tony

Luna.
07-22-05, 10:51 PM
The stock Maggie tune left lots of room on the table for improvements...lots of room. :)

I know this--please explain in detail!!! :)

EDIT--Tony makes (a possible) 8! Ben--we are probably going to need you soon...:)

heavymetals
07-22-05, 11:01 PM
Hey REED!

How come you so quiet?:Poke:

StealthV
07-22-05, 11:07 PM
Anyone can tune the Maggie at wide open throttle on the dyno (Magnuson did).

Part throttle performance on the street is the time consuming difficult part - that doesn't come from a dyno tune.

More details? Install the Maggie, drive it for a week or two then contact me about a tune. You won't believe it is the same car - I guarantee it. Even if it made less power (it doesn't) you still wouldn't get rid of it. Bye, bye warranty... :)

Dennisscars
07-22-05, 11:07 PM
What ever happened to the "group buy" on the lift pucks? I gave up and bought my own.. They work great..

ctsvett
07-22-05, 11:13 PM
Hey REED!

How come you so quiet?:Poke:

MUST.... HOLD.... ON.... TO..... WALLLET...

Reed

heavymetals
07-22-05, 11:17 PM
Not your wallet, Reed.

You would have to learn how to hold on to the gearshift knob!:eek:

HA HA HA

2004ctsv
07-22-05, 11:18 PM
Anyone can tune the Maggie at wide open throttle on the dyno (Magnuson did).

Part throttle performance on the street is the time consuming difficult part - that doesn't come from a dyno tune.

More details? Install the Maggie, drive it for a week or two then contact me about a tune. You won't believe it is the same car - I guarantee it. Even if it made less power (it doesn't) you still wouldn't get rid of it. Bye, bye warranty... :)

Hey Rick - are you telling me that you can improve low end torque (which I want) and drivability (that I need) with your tuning techniques if a slap a s/c on? My Buick had both with an Eaton blower but much lower compression ratio than the LS6 engine.

Tony

Luna.
07-22-05, 11:22 PM
Reed---you would make NINE....:halo:

StealthV
07-23-05, 12:06 AM
Hey Rick - are you telling me that you can improve low end torque (which I want) and drivability (that I need) with your tuning techniques if a slap a s/c on? My Buick had both with an Eaton blower but much lower compression ratio than the LS6 engine.

Tony

But of course.

-------------------------

Reed, the Maggie team needs you.

It's only money.

You can't spend it when you're dead.

Since you travel all the time, wouldn't it be nice to come home to a V that rocks even more?

heavymetals
07-23-05, 12:12 AM
PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE!!!!

Cmon Reed, what's the matter, you SCARED?:histeric:

adderall
07-23-05, 12:24 AM
I am on the fence. I am considering a procharger vs. the maggie. I will try to make up my mind by mid week. Sounds like you will have ten by Monday anyway.

RIescalade
07-23-05, 12:27 AM
Maggie Group Buy Update....

I just bought a sweet Old Landcrusier (pictures coming on sunday www.bentickner.com (http://www.bentickner.com)) because there is no way I am driving my V this winter. Anyway FYI I own 2 companies in Rhode Island, I have bought numerous superchargers for friends and facilatated group buys from warn winches to procharger and vortech systems. I have installed them all and I am a gearhead at heart. I have no problem buying the systems through my company or purchasing them from a vendor that wants to move product.

I want to make this very clear however. I am not out to make any money on this maggie deal, this is to strictly help out as many people as possible buy a great product at a fair price. That is why I feel that all purchasers will be in direct contact with the vendor and make payment arangements through them. If we were buying shift kits it would be different, I just do not want to front 48000.00 dollars.

I called a few vendors the other day and quickly learned the lowest price they are willing to go. One vendor agreed to the pricing after an hour long talk they seemed very interested in moving that amount of kits.

I think our next step is to get a list of people that want this kit. I will be traveling this weekend but I will be checking this thread twice a day. I am talking with my chevy dealer about purchasing an 06 z06 (very exciting) so depending on how much I may have to put down I might not be buying a kit for the V. I have no problem helping negotiate the deal for the list. Somone mentioned a kit for another car (vette maybe?) I will ask on Monday if that is possible.

adderall
07-23-05, 01:03 AM
I just heard rumor that Maggie just did away with their warranty. Anybody know of this???

VELOSE
07-23-05, 04:27 AM
Heck, I'm down. I missed out on the last group buy b/c I was out of town. Do a head count and see if we have our 10 members and PM me with what you'll need to seal the deal.
-Sean

So you don't want me to be "One up on you." I guess it's time for me to get something else.:sneaky:

ctsvett
07-23-05, 04:33 AM
Heavymetals,
yeah, the shifter too.. What can I say, my hands were a little sweaty.. I didnt want to crash your car....

I know maggie needs me, but I am too yellow right now... But damn driving that car was fun....

Reed

heavymetals
07-23-05, 05:27 AM
Ok, if I can specify what I want, I want a POLISHED:thumbsup:

system for my Z06.

If the vendor is interested in quantity then that shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Of course I expect an upcharge for the POLISHED:thumbsup: unit.

bryce3
07-23-05, 05:34 AM
So you don't want me to be "One up on you." I guess it's time for me to get something else.:sneaky:
I didn't know it was a competition???? I learned a long time ago, there will always be someone that is gonna out do what ever you or I can do to our rides. You just have to learn to have fun with what you have. Last time I looked I haven't received a sponsor $$$$$ check or endorsement contract yet, so I guess it is all for fun right?
-Sean

VELOSE
07-23-05, 06:24 AM
I didn't know it was a competition????
-Sean

Well, a little birdie we both know, told me you said this, "I want to be one up on my neighbor down the street." I was never competing or even going to try now, and I agree, it's all in fun. ;)

03ESC
07-23-05, 09:48 AM
My brother-n-law and I bought ctsv same day, I got a black one , his is silver. They gave us a pretty good deal. Also, their service department seems pretty "enthusiast" friendly". If we can convince them to install the superchargers and still warranty the car, I"ll buy one and he will too(I'm sure he doesn't want me kicking his ass in a race or vice-versa). We'll keep you posted.

Taso

The dealership is Dimmit in Clearwater. They sold supercharged Escalades.

bryce3
07-23-05, 05:01 PM
Well, a little birdie we both know, told me you said this, "I want to be one up on my neighbor down the street." I was never competing or even going to try now, and I agree, it's all in fun. ;)
Dude you spend too much time at the dealer. They are the ones that told me about you and yours. I was wondering how you or anyone for that matter knew about my new exhaust and other things that I did in my garage. When I visited the dealer shortly after my upgrades they were "ooohing and ahhhhing" and saying that the fight between you and I is on now.
-Sean

Luna.
07-23-05, 05:15 PM
I just heard rumor that Maggie just did away with their warranty. Anybody know of this???

Unless this took place the last like 2-ish days (which, to be honest, I highly doubt), I do not believe this to be accurate. I just spoke with Magna Charger and Dell this week. Further, no one mentioned the possibility that the warranty was about ready to be discontinued.

If Reis (Ben) doesn't purchase one and the Z06 doesn't count, I think we are at six people, so we definitely want to try and get a few more.

One person who seemingly just NEEDS to get on board is REED. Reed--I don't know you, but I'd hate to have to hunt you down and make you get into this deal!!! :)

Things to consider: 1) ~530HP and ~485 lb feet of torque, 2) the confidence that few would even remotely have a chance to pull on your V, 3) that wonderful whine from the supercharger, 4) ~530HP and 485 lb feet of torque (I know I already mentioned this, but it's so cool, it needs to be mentioned again...), 5) smoking the tires like few other cars ever could, 6) looking at some seemingly arrogant, say, M3 driver and watching him get smaller and smaller in your rear-view mirror, 7) etc.... :coolgleam

adderall
07-23-05, 05:21 PM
Well the warranty definately adds some appeal. Will decide soon.

DILLIGAF
07-23-05, 11:48 PM
I paid 5995 for mine 8 months ago from Brian at Magnacharger.How the F do other venders sell them for thousands less?I hope you all get the discount price,the maggie is worth what I paid.IMO But for that much difference,should have waited!

Luna.
07-24-05, 01:30 AM
I paid 5995 for mine 8 months ago from Brian at Magnacharger.How the F do other venders sell them for thousands less?I hope you all get the discount price,the maggie is worth what I paid.IMO But for that much difference,should have waited!

I asked myself the same question. I then asked a salesman at Magna Charger and didn't get a good/reasonable answer. It boggles me to this day.

In any case, today I just purchased a new '05 CTS-V. I am having the FG2 option installed and then I want to have the S/C installed, along with a few other upgrades as well.

We need to bag 10 people soon!! ;)

heavymetals
07-24-05, 01:37 AM
Simple ansewer is that Magnuson is not in business to compete with his reps.

He will not recommend one dealer over another either.

I tried to buy one direct and I got a better price from someone else.:canttalk:

Magnuson verified he was legit so I bought from the guy.:2thumbs:

Luna.
07-24-05, 05:34 PM
Well, we seem to be really close to 10, but just can't seem to find 1 - 2 more people to seal the deal. If that doesn't happen, are the remaining people willing to do $5,100? That's probably still significantly better then what we could do individually...

Come on people---we are so close on this!! :)

I'm not sure how long I can stand driving my new V naturally aspirated...

kimcheejeegae
07-24-05, 05:53 PM
Well, we seem to be really close to 10, but just can't seem to find 1 - 2 more people to seal the deal. If that doesn't happen, are the remaining people willing to do $5,100? That's probably still significantly better then what we could do individually...

Come on people---we are so close on this!! :)

I'm not sure how long I can stand driving my new V naturally aspirated...

Ok.. someone pay for mine and I'll do it!! =))

Barak
07-24-05, 08:01 PM
I'm on the fence myself, how long do I have to decide?

CVP33
07-24-05, 09:40 PM
How sick is this? I'm on my 3rd rear diff' and I still want a S/C. :nono: :cookoo:

wildwhl
07-24-05, 10:55 PM
CVP33 -

Remember - my 3rd diff met Maggie and all has been well ever since :thumbsup:

Just say yes...you know you want to.

Luna.
07-24-05, 11:15 PM
I'm on the fence myself, how long do I have to decide?

Not that I'm the determining factor in terms of when this might all take place, but I'm hoping to purchase this by the end of this week. I might be willing to wait if someone needed a short period of time to get the dinero together, but I don't want to wait indefinitely for us to get 10 people either. :D

StealthV
07-24-05, 11:46 PM
Something that needs to be clarified - RIescalade, the creator of this thread is looking for a Maggie for an Escalade, not a V. (my assumption from the profile)

A Maggie for that application is $1k less right off the bat...just don't want you to all be buying 'Slade blowers and thinking your getting a good deal for your V.

Hopefully my gut instinct is wrong.

:cheers:

99GTX
07-25-05, 10:10 AM
There's a good chance of me being in at the $4800 price. $5100 would take a little more thinking since I wouldn't be installing this thing for a while. With 93K+ left on my warranty, I'm trying to keep that as long as possible. ;)

blownchevy
07-25-05, 12:00 PM
Magnacharger Does Not Support Un Authorized Group Buys. There Is No Approval On This Group Buy From Us At All. I Am Not Sure Who This Guy Is Selling These Blowers But Buyer Beware.

Florian
07-25-05, 12:10 PM
YIKES!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Caveat emptor!

Florian

JBeechel
07-25-05, 12:54 PM
So Brian... when are you going to sponsor one for us?

heavymetals
07-25-05, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the warning Brian!

I think you just saved me and a few others a few thousand dollars:suspense:

If anyone is interested on where I got mine email me:

penguin321@hotmail.com

Luna.
07-25-05, 03:08 PM
Magnacharger Does Not Support Un Authorized Group Buys. There Is No Approval On This Group Buy From Us At All. I Am Not Sure Who This Guy Is Selling These Blowers But Buyer Beware.

What difference does that make? If someone is able to find a vendor willing to move X number of units for Y price, how does that impact Magna Charger?

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed reading this comment from a representative from Magna. Magna practically forces customers to NOT purchase superchargers from them.

I have called Magna Charger on two separate occassions now, inquiring how much I could obtain a S/C for the V. I was told ~$5,995, which represented the retail price (both times). I inquired as to why I should purchase a S/C from Magna, as I could easily obtain a cheaper unit from another vendor. Both times, the salesman seemed somewhat confused; as if I should just blindly pay the "retail" price because it is what it is.

It was explained to me that vendors are able to purcahse the product from Magna at a (substantial?) decreased price. As such, I guess my question is, why does Magna Charger have to be involved once they sell their units to (authorized) customers/distributors? If they want to make less of a profit then Magna, why should Magna care?

During one of the calls, I even went so far to ask, "Okay--who would YOU purchase it from, Magna or another vendor for cheaper?" His answer, "The other vendor..."

As such, I'm confused why such comment was made. I can very much understand the concern of purchasing from a non-authorized vendor (& the related "buyer-beware" sentiment), but a blanket comment that Magna doesn't support this group buy is confusing...

Please explain why authorized vendors need "approval" from Magna & what exactly this "approval" means. Even your own sales representatives claim they would NOT purchase a S/C from Magna, so I'm very confused.

Thanks

heavymetals
07-25-05, 03:13 PM
Simple ansewer is that Magnuson is not in business to compete with his reps.

He will not recommend one dealer over another either.

I tried to buy one direct and I got a better price from someone else.:canttalk:

Magnuson verified he was legit so I bought from the guy.:2thumbs:

Like I said....................

Florian
07-25-05, 03:19 PM
The reason for my caveat emptor message was that I cant imagine that there is a vendor with 10 V blowers on their shelves waiting to be purchased. I would suspect that once the orders are received, the vendor will then call Magnusson and place the order. If the home office doesnt support such a group buy, I would tend to be suspicious. If there is indeed a vendor with 10 on the shelves....go for it. I think you will be quite happy with the results. Regarding Magna going elsewhere to purchase the S/C, I think that is smart business...I hardly pay retail for anything and the same would hold true with a big dollar purchase such as the S/C where the vendors/distributors get a better deal on the unit and can pass along savings if they deem it in their best interest. Im not saying its a bad deal, its a freaking great deal for the money ~4800 bux.....thats near dealer cost, my only reservation is that the manufacturer of such items isnt on board. (no offence meant)

My .02

Florian

heavymetals
07-25-05, 03:24 PM
The vendor would have to place an order.

At the very least the "superchips" unit needs the VIN# to be programmed.

Luna.
07-25-05, 03:34 PM
There are, basically, 4 different "types" of buyers, ranging from the "price" buyer to the "service-orientated" buyer. For the most part, people who purchase cars (& their related upgrades) probably tend more towards the "price" part of that spectrum (that being, we will purchase from, substantially all things equal, the guy who provides it at the cheapest price). Magna's strategy is highly dubious in my mind and I'd love to hear the rational behind that marketing strategy. However, your input is always highly regarded in my mind Heavy...:)

Florian, I am in 100% agreement with your comments. Clearly (as stated before), we want to make certain that this is all what we want and that none will be disappointed. However, I was definitely operating under the presumption that such vendor has 10-ish units ready to move.

I called a few vendors the other day and quickly learned the lowest price they are willing to go. One vendor agreed to the pricing after an hour long talk they seemed very interested in moving that amount of kits.

Perhaps I'm reading into that too much, but that was my initial thoughts

Thanks

Florian
07-25-05, 03:49 PM
Luna,

Time for a gereric manufacturing model...
The rationale behind that marketing strategy is that no matter who buys from Magnusson, Mag will make their profit margin. MOST companies work on this premise that there is a standard markup that the company must make (usually a minimum of 30% above actual cost) and as long as that is met, then all is well.
At that point, there are 2 - 3 pricing structures, typically one for "stocking distributors" which Mag probably has an agreement for a certain amount of units per year at a minimum cost to Mag above the 30% profit (just a guess at the %) Mag makes X dollars times X units in writing with the distrib. per year....good for Mag, good for dealer.
Then there is the "jobber" cost, or a non-stocking distributor which gets another discount off retail, usually less of a discount than the stocking fellas, but the stocking guys get the best deal because they carry all the paper on it....(stocking tax, invoicing, blah, blah....) The jobbers are the guys that when you or I get serious about a S/C, they order one and have it ready for us when we bring our V's in.
The last cost is usually the retail price that you would get when you called Mag direct. This price is the "you didnt look very hard" price that ALL manufacturers love to get for their products as they make the MOST money on, usually 60-100% over cost just cause they have to carry the paper and do all the drop shipping, invoicing, blah, blah.....
My advice is find a reputable stocking distributor that gets the best discount and pay 50 bux over cost and he makes 500 bux for 10, that he wouldnt have sold otherwise, it keeps him in good stead with the mfgr and hes 500 bux richer.
I hope I didnt bore your sox off......but Im doing nothing at work and I thought Id put another .02 in....

F

r_casino
07-25-05, 04:03 PM
If someone is able to find a vendor willing to move X number of units for Y price, how does that impact Magna Charger?

I guess my question is, why does Magna Charger have to be involved once they sell their units to (authorized) customers/distributors?

If they want to make less of a profit then Magna, why should Magna care?

Please explain why authorized vendors need "approval" from Magna & what exactly this "approval" means.

Good questions...interested in the answers.

Luna.
07-25-05, 04:15 PM
LOL--thanks for your thoughts Florian. Trust me, I know what you are referring to. :D I just believe they could easily capture a greater market share, resulting in a larger gross profit, then their present strategy, but they can do what they want to. (BTW--most companies I know of would *KILL* for a legit 30% profit margin...)

In any case, I think the main point that needs to be figured out is if the "vendor" that Reis (Ben) is referring to has 10 on the shelves or not...

Florian
07-25-05, 04:38 PM
cool.....Id partake, but I have a dealer at my whim....just need to pony up the cash......

Florian

blownchevy
07-25-05, 05:46 PM
Florian:

Simply put, we protect our dealers that have a brick and mortar business. I would be a bit suspicious of someone that comes onto a public message board and offers the supercharger at a deeply discounted rate. If you want to take that chance with your money, then please be my guest.

Why do we have a problem with it, well it is basic mathematics....if you devalue a product to the point that the dealer can't make any money, then who will want to sell it? We choose who we sell our products to carefully, this is a high end product going in a high end car, would you want a monkey working on your Caddy? I don't think so.

The site sponsors on the left are all authorized dealers, if you want a Group Purchase on the supercharger system then contact any one of them to step up and help you all out. I do not suggest spending any amount of money with a guy that has 35 posts and claims to have a hook up though some friends that are Magnuson dealers......But it is your money, do with it as you please.

lawfive
07-25-05, 06:34 PM
Brian: your point is well-taken. My trust in strangers (no offense, Luna) is inversely proportional to the amount of money at stake. Although I've been burned by 'friends' along the way, too.

VELOSE
07-25-05, 07:02 PM
Dude you spend too much time at the dealer. They are the ones that told me about you and yours. I was wondering how you or anyone for that matter knew about my new exhaust and other things that I did in my garage. When I visited the dealer shortly after my upgrades they were "ooohing and ahhhhing" and saying that the fight between you and I is on now.
-Sean

I hope you are not upset. There is no fight between you and I. I don't feel there's a competition going on. So if you didn't say you wanted to be one up on me and you are not personally competing then I guess there's nothing to be worried about. We should assume all that was said, was hype from the guys at the dealer.

I'm building my car my way. I'm not in a car competition with you or anyone else. I'm not trying to be the best. I tried having more modifications on a car in the past and it led me into not liking the car after so much was done. All of that because, I wanted to be the car everyone would "oooooooh and aaaahhhh" about. In this case, you can get all the "oooooh's and aaaaaaaahhh's" you want. I just want my car to be fast and get the "ooooooh's and aaaaaaah's" from me.

If you want to ever hook up, give me a call. You have my cell. We should team up and make Tracy go "OOOOOH and AHHHHH".

2004ctsv
07-25-05, 08:38 PM
Extending Florian's explanation

If the retail is $6K and mark up is 33%, then the dealer pays $4.5K each. If he sells one or two a year, he has a lot of overhead that justifies the $1.5K or $3K gross margin. If he can sell 10 at $4.8K with little more work than placing an order for 1 unit, he realizes $3K right now with much less overhead.

Volume discounts are part of doing business, for the retailer and the manufacturer.

My 2 cents
Tony

blownchevy
07-25-05, 08:55 PM
and parts whores are the reason the rules we have are in place.

I am sorry, you will never sell the idea of that to me. I had a very successful business and I NEVER discounted anything to make a sale. When a product is devalued by "whoreing" it out then nobody wins

I am sorry that price is an issue and honestly it should not be....there is alot of R&D in the system to make it one of the best most sought after systems for your GM truck, suv, car.

and if a dealer can keep his 33% mark up and sell 10 then he is the better business man in my opinion.

Just my .50 ;)

Luna.
07-25-05, 08:55 PM
Why do we have a problem with it, well it is basic mathematics....if you devalue a product to the point that the dealer can't make any money, then who will want to sell it?

Whlie I have no idea how someone "devalues" a supercharger, I wasn't planning on doing ANYTHING until I contacted the vendor directly, which is what Reis (Ben) was making claim to. If they weren't an authorized dealer, then the risk certainly would go up, which clearly would impact my decision, and I believe many others on this board as well.

My trust in strangers (no offense, Luna) is inversely proportional to the amount of money at stake

None taken. I'm just someone who's very interested in a S/C that wants to pay $4,800 (or $5,100), not $6,000...:)

Reis (Ben) needs to communicate a lot more now though, especially with all the questions surrounding this.

2004ctsv
07-25-05, 09:03 PM
Next lecture- fixed costs and variable costs and the effect of volume.

Never mind. This will go nowhere anyhow.

Still only worth 2 cents (the going price of my BS)

Tony

blownchevy
07-25-05, 09:05 PM
Whlie I have no idea how someone "devalues" a supercharger

Pretty simple....take something that is Has a perceived value of $5995.00 and sell it for $4800.00. That de-values the item $1195.00, take the profit away for the dealers and the product has a lesser value.

I am not a business major as you seem to be, but it is simple economics.

not really a topic for discussion anyhow...policy is there for a reason.

Have a nice evening.

DgtalPimp
07-25-05, 09:15 PM

I am sorry, you will never sell the idea of that to me. I had a very successful business and I NEVER discounted anything to make a sale. When a product is devalued by "whoreing" it out then nobody wins

I am sorry that price is an issue and honestly it should not be....there is alot of R&D in the system to make it one of the best most sought after systems for your GM truck, suv, car.

and if a dealer can keep his 33% mark up and sell 10 then he is the better business man in my opinion.

Just my .50 ;)

I do not know if Corp Mag has MAP (Minimum Advertising Price) pricing but it would not surpries me if they did. With that assumption in place (I said assumption so go with me on this) no dealer that wants to remain a dealer will advertise their prices below MAP unless they are planning on not being a dealer for Mag. Coming on the forums and saying you will do a group buy is a form of advertising, not to mention that with most group buys (in some MAP polices) dealers have to get a special ok from the manufacture to do any pricing publicy below the MAP for their level (Jobber vs. WD).

I guess I follow the "smells to good to be true route". Like it has been said here many times, it is your money and your trust.

Luna.
07-25-05, 09:16 PM

Just my .50 ;)

Sorry, but you are going to lose on this one...:)

In many industries, including many segments of the automotive world, discounting is a part of life in the sales department. While Tony's argument may be rudimentary, his point is a sound one: spreading fixed costs over more units results in a lower per-unit cost. That creates an incentive to enter into such discounted sales arrangements that you seemingly frown on very much.

The bottom line is that there very easily could be an incentive for a seller to discount their product to move more units and this can result in a situation whereby both the buyer and the seller end up ahead. Both certainly don't lose in all situations; that is an untrue statement.

blownchevy
07-25-05, 09:19 PM
and again, it is a moot point with the current company policy.

This is going nowhere, feel free to contact me or my boss at 805-642-8833 to discuss this further.

ctsvett
07-25-05, 09:53 PM
Guys..

Just a word of caution... Blownchevy is a supporting vendor. I believe that his only reason for posting in here was to warn you of an under the table sale and to be careful. I would take that as legitiamte coming from the actual manufacturer of the product. It's still up to you if you want to make the buy. (I probably would not trust someone with my money unless I knew them personally in this case).

However, I dont think we need to begin arguing MAP policies and who should sell what at what price. That is not the point here...

I should hope that Blownchevy's last comment will end this conversation.

Thanks,
Reed

P.S. I am not posting this only because I was "chicken" to get in on the buy before when we thought it was legit (thanks heavymetals for calling me out.)... This however DOES NOT change the fact that I am a chicken, thank you very much!

wildwhl
07-25-05, 10:14 PM
ctsvett-

Bock...bock...boooocccckckkkkk! (you are most undoubtedly chicken)

I would be chicken too - I purchased directly from the source and the customer service ever since (thanks Brian :thumbsup: has been worth every single .01 that some might feel they overpay by purchasing at retail. Of course, Reed, the easiest way to gain 10 lbs in your right foot is a Maggie :sneaky:

Beware of unauthorized vendors :contract:

heavymetals
07-25-05, 10:31 PM
Actually there is no weight gain as it subtracts almost the same amount from your wallet!:histeric:

Luna.
07-25-05, 10:53 PM
and again, it is a moot point with the current company policy.

This is going nowhere, feel free to contact me or my boss at 805-642-8833 to discuss this further.

I have no idea what the formal company policy is. All I know is that I have to research far too much to find a suitable vendor primarily due to the fact that Magna's policy is to leave sales on the table because they won't price their product(s) competitively. What makes this doubly frustrating is all I really want to do is to purchase a S/C FROM MAGNA, but no, that isn't possible, unless I wanted to waste money. :banghead:

And your argument of "devaluing" the S/C doesn't hold much water at all. You speak of it as if legitimate promotional discounts are always a permanent decline in value. Well, they aren't. People who are able to purchase products in such a manner are AHEAD; the product, however, didn't necessarily lose value over a few transactions that took place at a price lower then fair market value (or this highly dubious "perceived" value, which is another rant altogether...).

And believe me, I will call Magna any time I have a question. Hell, if it's that important, you can rest assured that I will just stop by--Magna is ~10 minutes from me.

Beware of unauthorized vendors :contract:

100% agree. The lack of Reis (Ben) significantly posting on this thread lately only increases my concerns... :suspect:

Dennisscars
07-25-05, 11:30 PM
:tsucks:The more I play this game the more I realize, "you pay cheap, you get cheap."

I'm happy what I paid for the car, and I'm happy what I paid for the S/C.
"Never look back, :leaving:you can never look back..." I've got to get a deadhead sticker on my Cadillac... :suspect:

CVP33
07-25-05, 11:45 PM
THIS IS LONG AS HELL, BUT I MAY HAVE A SOLUTION, I HOPE.

I have no "dog in this fight" and frankly I'm saving my angst for the Regional Service Rep' who will be looking at my V tomorrow. Being in the most competitve retail business on the planet (as Doug and Chris will confirm) I understand where Brian is coming from. Preserving the value of their product and the profitablity of their vendor partners make their relationship a win/win. While "deals" can be made below SRP, publicly proclaiming these prices are not in the best interest of either party. I work with multiple suppliers daily and many times deals are made and the margin is taken "inside" and never passed through to the customer so that other retailers aren't clamoring for the same cost that I received from that supplier. It's part of building the relationship.

Now what may be an option, if you're still interested in helping our opinionated asses Brian (myself included), would you be willing to help interested members in securing a Group Buy with a reputable dealer. Maybe both parties (Magnuson and Supplier X) could take a little less margin to generate "top line" sales? I'm just asking. Price would be between confirmed buyers and Supplier X only. As to remain somewhat under the radar. Nothing illegal, just another way to incent a multiple sale. This way, Magnuson and Supplier X are rewarded with multiple unit sales and more net gross dollars (remember we don't take margin % to the bank, only margin $'s). Buyers are rewarded with peace of mind that the deal is blessed and partially funded by Magnuson. In addition the units are sold through a respectable dealer with integrity who also partially funds the deal. Finally the customer receives his/her discount. I'd call this a WIN/WIN/WIN. I hope Brian can pull this together, if he is so inclined.

BTW - Not that Brian needs anyone to vouch for his integrity. But I've exchanged emails and PM's with Brian regarding their products and I'm pretty good and sniffing out a rat. Brian is no rat and DOES ultimately have the best interests of his company, his dealers, his product and his customers in mind.

lasstss
07-26-05, 12:23 AM
This magnussen is most assuredly a very nice kit. They do have some money tied up in its development. $6k for most is a tough pill. Getting a price point around $5100, gets it in the realm that most can eek out! If some vendor wants to support that price point come to the front. In the end Im sure that Magnussen would like the volume. They have sold a load of these kits. It keeps the employees working. There might be some protectionism involved in keeping the numbers in the same arena to keep a level playing field for the vendors. It makes sense. Still, there are buyers..with cash..take the money..I dont think it will hurt the feelings of those that have that kind of cash to throw ie pay to get installed tuned etc. I was lucky to be able to afford the V
and have to wait some time between mods. Im always looking for a price break to help me out!:D

Dennisscars
07-26-05, 12:49 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm the tightest cheap ass here, but do the math, maybe 8,000 units, (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/production.html) R&D, development, blaa blaa blaa and what with "I'd buy one but my wife won't let me",:rolleyes2 they are going to sell what... 5%? I don't see how they can or even want to mess with a "group buy"...10 units out of 8,000? All you business types can pipe in, I'm sure that makes no dent in their sales meeting.

Better yet somebody pony up and buy 50 to 100 and sell them for what ever the market will bare.

Yes, $6K is some serious coin, but several people, including myself, have stepped up and decided to play. Frankly, I chose to install it myself to save some money and am more happy with the quality of the install after seeing some out there. (Nothing to do with the product, just attention to detail.)

It's all about "how fast can you afford to go?"
:deadhorse
I want a company that will still be in business a year from now so I can either get some service or buy something else.

wildwhl
07-26-05, 01:49 AM
"I want a company that will still be in business a year from now so I can either get some service or buy something else."

Ahh...my favorite point. I can't tell you how many times in the last 16 years of the printing business we've had clients go to the "cheaper" competition only to come back whining once the cheaper doors closed. Business must make a profit to survive - and I personally - even when money was tight as tight could be (still isn't a ton better than that) have ALWAYS invested in the best - price set aside. It pays dividends in the long run and those vendors and manufacturers that build the best and support it (I'd put Magnuson in that group) DESERVE a slight premium for their product.

You get what you paid for...run what you brung...the check's in the mail... :rant2:

Install it yourself - you won't regret it and you CAN improve (as Denniscars stated) on many of the "commercial" installs.

Now CVP33 does have a very good point - however - unless he is in the printing business - I doubt he's in the most competitive business in the world :hitstick: :D

thebigjimsho
07-26-05, 05:01 AM
Sorry, but you are going to lose on this one...:)

In many industries, including many segments of the automotive world, discounting is a part of life in the sales department. While Tony's argument may be rudimentary, his point is a sound one: spreading fixed costs over more units results in a lower per-unit cost. That creates an incentive to enter into such discounted sales arrangements that you seemingly frown on very much.

The bottom line is that there very easily could be an incentive for a seller to discount their product to move more units and this can result in a situation whereby both the buyer and the seller end up ahead. Both certainly don't lose in all situations; that is an untrue statement.Sure, in many industries, that is true. If you're Fram and sell 10,000,000 air filters a year and have minimal R&D, then discounting on a large scale makes sense. If you're McDonalds and you buy fries to serve millions daily, you have buying power and a seemingly endless supply to serve out at very low prices.

But for as many Vs there are rolling out in the US right now, how many are going to be Magnacharged? Maybe a few hundred? There isn't that seemingly endless supply and demand chain to feed. It is finite and they cannot afford to sell these units at a $100 profit per unit. I think 500 units at $100 profit per unit would be a paltry number. Not worth the R&D time or man-hours involved to get these made and shipped.

lawfive
07-26-05, 12:34 PM
BTW - Not that Brian needs anyone to vouch for his integrity. But I've exchanged emails and PM's with Brian regarding their products and I'm pretty good and sniffing out a rat. Brian is no rat and DOES ultimately have the best interests of his company, his dealers, his product and his customers in mind.

I'm a Magnacharger owner, as most of you know. I'm not sure I'm free to tell you just how much in the way of freebie customer service and warranty-related help I have received thanks to Brian... Some of it was because he felt obligated, but some of it was because these guys are just plain nice, and interested gearheads, and enthusiastic about the practical application of their go-fast parts on the V. Brian even took me out for sushi while they were tinkering with my car.

My Caddy dealer sold it and installed it, and gave me a bit of a price break because I wanted painted, but only polished was available at the time, and they wanted the sale. So authorized dealers have SOME room to work with you (especially if they're gonna make some coin on labor). But reputable dealers are going to stay within Magnuson's pricing policy because they want to continue to be able to sell this popular product, and (if my experience is any indication) because they have a great relationship with Magnuson.

Therefore, from my perspective, any dealer who undercuts the price policy is less than reputable. And is that really who you want to trust with a multi-$K investment?

Mowgli
07-26-05, 02:17 PM
Most. Timultuous Groupbuy. Ever.

Consider me on the standby list. I want to see this settle down solidly before I go back in.

trukk
07-26-05, 04:11 PM
Wow, what a thread.

Some intersting opinions here.

Just remember opinions are like As... err well you know. Here's mine.

I'd prefer to let the market sort itself out. Remember, (as big Jim pointed out above), a maggie, is NOT a commodity product, and thus shouldn't be priced as such. If there were 5 other vendors that produced nearly the same product (performance/quality), it would be a different situation, but we are in V-land. Hell, we are lucky that anyone even makes a V specific super charger (as opposed to a fits all - fits none solution), with the paltry number of units GM produced.

As for Magna's policy on pricing, they feel they must do that to protect their business interests. I see no probloem with that (again, let the market decide). I'd prefer to have vendors selling through a channel like this, than to have my only option be jegs.com.

If it really bothers you so much, either a) build a better mouse-trap and sell it in your own manner and at your own price, or b) move to Cuba and get a 'peoples super charger' for your Lada (provided free!, only a 19 year wait).

Viva capitalism,

Chris

2004ctsv
07-26-05, 07:38 PM
Viva Capitalism - Big time

If Magnuson prevents their dealers from setting their own prices then there is an anti-trust, restraintof trade question here. Especially if their dealers cannot get the equivalent item elsewhere.

Magnuson can sell for whatever price they want. And they are welcome, no obligated, to make a profit, reasonable or not, if they want to remain viable and in business. But they can not interfer with their dealers' abilities to make a profit.

Just remember the phrase "manufacturer's suggested retail price"

It's not DEMANDED retail price.

And if they are restraining trade, I hope their posts to this thread are not indicting.

Still only 2 cents worth

Tony

DgtalPimp
07-26-05, 07:40 PM
Viva Capitalism - Big time

If Magnuson prevents their dealers from setting their own prices then there is an anti-trust, restraintof trade question here. Especially if their dealers cannot get the equivalent item elsewhere.

Magnuson can sell for whatever price they want. And they are welcome, no obligated, to make a profit, reasonable or not, if they want to remain viable and in business. But they can not interfer with their dealers' abilities to make a profit.

Just remember the phrase "manufacturer's suggested retail price"

It's not DEMANDED retail price.

And if they are restraining trade, I hope their posts to this thread are not indicting.

Still only 2 cents worth

Tony

My statement of MAP was 1) an assumption, and 2) MAP stands for Minimum Advertised Price. The dealer can give the product away if they want (not a great business model).

CVP33
07-26-05, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=wildwhl
Now CVP33 does have a very good point - however - unless he is in the printing business - I doubt he's in the most competitive business in the world :hitstick: :D[/QUOTE]

Imagine selling exactly what your competitor does. Imagine that you and your competitor are on virtually every street corner and usually adjacent to one another. Then imagine that you compete with Dollar Stores, WalMart, Kmart, Target, Rite Aid, Eckerds, etc. Imagine that if you lower your price 1 penny your competition will lower their's 2 pennies. Imagine that your employee turnover averages 60%+. Imagine that a "VERY GOOD" quarter means you actually made a 1.5 to 2.0% EBIT. Welcome to the Supermarket Business. :banghead: Now beat that WW.

2004ctsv
07-26-05, 07:51 PM
I'm not trying to argue with anyone (so how comeit seems like I am?:bonkers: )

Many time in my business, one of our customers will let us know that he has an opportunity to move much more volume if we can work with him to win a new customer, meaning that we cut a little and he cuts a little and we both make more cash (not margin). But, we can't tell him not to drop his price to make the sale.

It would be great if the manufacturer and retailer both worked to make more sales. (Don't want to steal CVP33's thunder.)

This install would have made a great winter project since the car can't get traction in the snow. Maybe H & C does make more sense.

Tony

blownchevy
07-26-05, 08:13 PM
Men: In an attempt to let the thread die, I am going to make a simple statement. Our dealers can and will sell the product at the price they decide, I would suggest only that you the consumer makes sure you are dealing with an authorized Magnuson dealer the site sponsors on the left. That being said, get out your credit cards and Get er done

All parties involved in the debate bring some good and valid points to light.....Bottom line, I want to sell superchargers! And I am here to support the consumer and the dealers best interest, so please support the site sponsors if you are going to purchase a system.

Mods if you are reading this one.....lock it down and LET IT DIE!:golden:

DILLIGAF
07-26-05, 08:14 PM
Waiting to see how this one ends:suspense:

StealthV
07-26-05, 08:56 PM
By purposely ignoring the non "brick-and-mortar" outlets, Magnuson is not fully tapping the V supercharger market potential in the internet age.

Magnuson wants to sell more V superchargers? Tear down the "brick" wall and contact me.

:cheers:

ctsvett
07-26-05, 08:57 PM
I was going to lock it down anyway.. I tired to end it nicely (and have you all call me chickens) but some would not...

Another issue... Group buys are only allowed by Authorized vendors.. PM me if you have any questions..

Reed