: Who else has had a computer virus problem?

Ralph
11-11-03, 01:10 AM
Thursday I was on the Forum, when the page froze up! (not Forum related) I went to a site that scans for viruses and I had two "Trojan Worms" that apparently infected this old computer in 1998! I guess Trojans wait around for a while and then strike when you don't expect it. In my defence, I didn't own the computer when it was infected. Yes, I should have got Norton, or scanned sooner. I didn't think you could get a virus or worm from just visiting sites, but from downloading, but this is not true. (I've been told) Anyway, I got Norton free for a year now, so it just makes you more aware of things I guess.

I bet I have the oldest computer on the Forum! Can you beat 166 mhz, with 10 gigs of harddrive!! Yes, I'm cheap but it works.

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 02:13 AM
well, I certinaly had much slower machines then that in my past, my current machine is a custom made by me Athlon XP 2400+

my ThinkPad is a P 166, 32mb, 4.5gb hdd, although I rarely use it.

JJhomer83
11-11-03, 09:38 AM
well, I certinaly had much slower machines then that in my past, my current machine is a custom made by me Athlon XP 2400+

my ThinkPad is a P 166, 32mb, 4.5gb hdd, although I rarely use it.

Well is everyone ready to be amazed at the CRAZY system i run at my house.

Server: 586, 64mb ram, 60gb hdd,
main P2 400 512mb ram
slave p133 128mb ram
slave p100 128 mb ram

elwesso
11-11-03, 05:59 PM
166mhz with a 2gb HDD.... Thats not my computer, but I have a POS too.....

I still have a 75mhz, 800mb, 8mb Ram Acer Aspire down in the basement!

AKPsiMC03
11-11-03, 08:44 PM
hows this:

I access the forums from an iMac at work :crying2:

but at home i have a brand new Dell with a 2.6Ghz w/800 mhz front side bus and 512 MB of ram and a 128MB video card... oh, and an ancient 21" monitor. lol

pink panther
11-11-03, 08:48 PM
VIRUSES are just that - like a flu bug, they infect one computer and transmit and infect another computer - generally passed on through attachments, etc.
Viruses can be fatal to the operation of a computer - they can destroy files, etc.

WORMS enter a computer the same way - but once in a hard drive, they "worm" their way through numerous files, generally not as fatal as a virus - typically a worm will overload files until the computer runs slower and slower till it finally freezes up.

Once a hard drive is de-wormed, normal operation resumes.

SPYWARE - the newest hacker weapon.
Spyware enters in piggyback fashion, then hides a small executable file in your computer system. Usually the name of the file looks legitimate.
Each spyware file may function differently.
I had one that , every time I would try to connect through my dial up modem, the spyware would tell the modem that the line was busy - even when it wasn't!!!

Many spyware files hide and send information from your computer to someone else (a hacker) when you are online.

In order to check for spyware - there is a free software that is terrific.

Go to

www.download.com

select software and support

or search for

AD AWARE 6.0

Then download and open it.
It runs and checks every file in your computer - you may be surprised what it finds.
I have used this program for more than a year, every few weeks - and it is great!!

This is a free software - not share ware.You will not have to buy it later.

If you have any questions -I will be glad to answer them best as I can.

good luck

elwesso
11-11-03, 09:03 PM
I got SpyBot off of download.com.... And it works great for spyware..... I run it every month or so and it finds all kinds of stuff.... I also do a full scan with Norton AntiVirus every so often, but I always have the background scan going, and autoupdates on.....

I feel pretty safe about stuff like that..... Now I need to setup a good firewall for the network.....

Ralph
11-12-03, 01:21 AM
hows this:

I access the forums from an iMac at work :crying2:

but at home i have a brand new Dell with a 2.6Ghz w/800 mhz front side bus and 512 MB of ram and a 128MB video card... oh, and an ancient 21" monitor. lol

Wanna trade????? :D

Ralph
11-12-03, 01:24 AM
I got SpyBot off of download.com.... And it works great for spyware..... I run it every month or so and it finds all kinds of stuff.... I also do a full scan with Norton AntiVirus every so often, but I always have the background scan going, and autoupdates on.....

I feel pretty safe about stuff like that..... Now I need to setup a good firewall for the network.....

Our Norton is cool, it scans and deletes viruses automatically. :worship: I"m afraid to say I don't know what a firewall is, but I assume it has to do with keeping out bugs.

Sinister Angel
11-12-03, 01:51 AM
It's interesting, because most of these email viruses only work when the email client being used is outlook or outlook express. I use mozilla.

Ralph
11-12-03, 02:14 AM
It's interesting, because most of these email viruses only work when the email client being used is outlook or outlook express. I use mozilla.

I use Outlook, now I'm worried! :eek:

Ralph
11-12-03, 02:20 AM
VIRUSES are just that - like a flu bug, they infect one computer and transmit and infect another computer - generally passed on through attachments, etc.
Viruses can be fatal to the operation of a computer - they can destroy files, etc.

WORMS enter a computer the same way - but once in a hard drive, they "worm" their way through numerous files, generally not as fatal as a virus - typically a worm will overload files until the computer runs slower and slower till it finally freezes up.

Once a hard drive is de-wormed, normal operation resumes.

SPYWARE - the newest hacker weapon.
Spyware enters in piggyback fashion, then hides a small executable file in your computer system. Usually the name of the file looks legitimate.
Each spyware file may function differently.
I had one that , every time I would try to connect through my dial up modem, the spyware would tell the modem that the line was busy - even when it wasn't!!!

Many spyware files hide and send information from your computer to someone else (a hacker) when you are online.

In order to check for spyware - there is a free software that is terrific.

Go to

www.download.com

select software and support

or search for

AD AWARE 6.0

Then download and open it.
It runs and checks every file in your computer - you may be surprised what it finds.
I have used this program for more than a year, every few weeks - and it is great!!

This is a free software - not share ware.You will not have to buy it later.

If you have any questions -I will be glad to answer them best as I can.

good luck

Hey neigbbour, thanks for the info! I actually used Adaware for the cookies and spyware. I also used a great free scan site called www.trendmicro.com. What you described for worms is exactly what my symptoms were! I wish I scanned sooner, or knew as much as the kids today about the net. You see, we deleted it from the c-drive before I took it in to my tech guy, but it copied onto the d-drive, and vise-versa in order to survive!! Why would I need a firewall (and what is this?) if I have Norton!?

Sinister Angel
11-12-03, 03:21 AM
A firewall keeps out nasty network traffic. For example, Symantecs firewall blocks nasty incoming traffic, for example, that might be making a request for sub7,which is a nasty little virus.

pink panther
11-12-03, 11:04 AM
ooops - see next post.

pink panther
11-12-03, 11:13 AM
What is the story about a 91 Caddy with 40,000 kms!!!!!!!

I thought I lucked out on a 94 Deville with only 120,000 kms.

Only had it for a few days - but 30+ mpg on the highway, quiet, roomy - only obstacle is everyone thinks my wife is a super Mary Kay saleslady.
Doesn't bother me a bit.

The firewall is as its name suggests -

- while Norton (wasn't that the janitor's name on Jackie Gleason Show w/ Ralph Cramden??) will clean out viruses and some worms from your system, a firewall prevents them from getting in in the first place.

Keep updating your Norton program, - for every ounce of prevention - the hackers are always coming up with a pound of sludge.

I personally am looking at purchasing Linux Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2 operating system.
It is an open software that has no license fee. Instead of paying about $300+ for Windows O/S, this is priced Under $50 USD .

Do a Google search on Linux Mandrake, and check out the sights.
Linux does not crash like Windows, and thre are virtually no viruses written for it - due to such a small percentage of users. That is also why Mac has so few viruses written for it - the hackers spend their mis-guided efforts on the 96+ % of users of Windows PC O/S.

About the Canadian Caddy situation.......
Any reasonably priced Canadian sources for parts (hood, grille) that you know of??

Good to hear from you........

Pink Panther!!!

elwesso
11-12-03, 04:37 PM
I've heard stuff about linux, but some of my hardware is outdated..... Would I still be able to find drivers that work for linux??

Or does everything that works on windows work on Linux?? I used a linux emulator once, and I didnt like it!

Let me know where you find linux.....

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 05:10 PM
Mandrake is the stuff! I'm running 9.2 And KDE 3.1.

As far as outdated hardware, that is not a problem, as people have managed to get linux installed on just about everything. Believe it or not, NEW hardware is more of a problem due to the time it takes the community to develop a driver for hardware after it has been released to the public.

With the windows thing.... Some stuff CAN be run in linux using WINE, but it's not foolproof yet. Linux has some suprisingly robust programs for being free, OpenOffice is awfully close to MS Office, yet it doesn't cost a dime.

pink panther
11-12-03, 06:17 PM
See Dave Smed's posting here.

He is more aware of Linux than I. I do not have it up and running yet - still studying it as a very good option.

I have heard that earlier versions (kernel, I think looked wierd and were hard to run). I have been told that Mandrake 9.1/9.2 looks and feels like windows xp, or near it.

Beefcurtains
11-12-03, 06:18 PM
I run both XP and Linux (Slackware 9 (http://www.slackware.com/getslack/) ). If you want to goto linux i suggest you purchase crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/) you can install MS Office and Internet Explorer inside linux. Also you don't have to purchase linux you can download it and burn it to cd. Also i would pick up a book called "UNIX in a nutshell" it has all the commands that you would need to use in linux. Thats if you even plan on using commands, you don't have to you caAs for virus protection i would suggest Trend Micro (http://www.trendmicro.com) They are pretty quick to pickup on new worms and virus out in the wild, i have used trend in a corperate enviroment for over 3 years and it has treated me pretty well.

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 06:20 PM
Why use IE when Mozilla is right there? Built in anti-spam filters, pop-up protection, image permissions (no banner ads), and none of the vunerabilities of IE.

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 06:38 PM
If anyone is interested, here's what my desktop looks like. (Dial-up friendlier, was 1600x1200)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davesmed/kde.jpg

elwesso
11-12-03, 07:35 PM
I like it...... Is it faster???

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 09:11 PM
It is quicker, but where it really shines is in reliability and security. My reset button has been broken for over a year, and I don't really miss it much as the last time I rebooted was over 3 months ago for a hardware upgrade. Security is better because it is more of a professional design from the ground up, so that you need to be logged in under a certan user to REALLY break things. Keep in mind that hackers and such also NEED to find that password, not just any username to cause havoc.

Really the biggest downfall is the steep learning curve required to get it running. Once it's there, it is pretty much bulletproof.

elwesso
11-12-03, 09:14 PM
Well.... I basically know windows inside out, and outside in (I do computer software repairs a side hobby), so you think it'd be a worthwhile upgrade??

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 09:18 PM
Give it a try. Assuming you have a burner, go here. http://www.knoppix.net/
They have a complete bootable Linux OS squeezed on one CD. It doesn't even need a harddrive, just a bootable CD-rom drive. Good way to try it out.

elwesso
11-12-03, 09:20 PM
Hmmmm...... I got a burner.... Ill give it a try.... :)

And then if I like it, I just install right???

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 09:25 PM
Knoppix is "light" version. Not as much programs because it DOES all have to fit on one CD. If you like it, look into a full blown distro like Mandrake. (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/) It's the one I prefer, geared more towards home use, so it has better documentation and a friendlier setup.

elwesso
11-12-03, 09:29 PM
But it has all the basic features of mandrake, right???

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 09:39 PM
It has plenty. You won't miss much as far as usability for trying it out. Windows fits on one install CD. Mandrake takes a DVD AND a CD. Theres TONS of crap to wade through if you want in Mandrake. Some of it is pretty neat. Knoppix has an Office suite, web browsers (note plural), some games, A couple of email apps... Enough so that you can choose the one you like best. Knoppix is more of a portable setup, while Mandrake has everything from servers (outsource to Sal?) to computer games. Best part? all free. You can buy the install DVD if you don't feel like downloading a DVDs worth of stuff (don't even TRY on dial-up). Staples has it.

elwesso
11-12-03, 10:02 PM
So windows programs dont work on it, huh??

Ill download that Knoppix this weekend and see how I like it.....

Is it better than windows for networking and file sharing??

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 10:08 PM
Unfortunately, no. But with a program called WINE, which Crossover (mentioned above) is based on, a decent amout of windows programs can be run in linux. I never really had the need to though, I'm not that big of a gamer, OpenOffice handles just about any document you can throw at it (like .doc from MSWord), I can check my email, upload to my FTP space, Run Gaim (I use Gaim on windows too, it makes AIM look like the sorry excuse that it is.), listen to MP3s, etc...

As far as networking goes, Linux is designed around it. I mentioned the server aspects, and it plays nice with even the most windows specific setup, Microsoft Networking. I use it as a fileserver around my house for MP3s which listen to on my WindowsCE PDA with Wi-Fi. Good Stuff.

Ralph
11-13-03, 12:32 AM
Hey Pink, about my car, well if I brag about it anymore everyone here will hate me. :D Just go to the Fleetwood FWD section, where I intro myself in March, I'tl explain everything. I've only put 7,000 kms on it since delivery in Feb.

Anyway, you guys know your stuff, speak english!! :eek: I think I will just get a new computer in a half-year or so because this one seems even slower after getting it fixed!

Yesterday I scanned on Addaware and found ANOTHER Trojan!! I quarrentined it in Norton. Now does this mean that it will be killed, or will it emerge after a while and terrorize me again in the c drive!!??

Ralph
11-13-03, 12:39 AM
So if I buy one of those cool orange I-Macs, does it mean I have a much less chance of ever getting a new virus?? I thought Microsoft was already "put-into" Mac computers as standard equiptment? I know that people, especially employers respect people if they have experience and training with IBM and compatible systems, but I will get a Mac if the same programs are available for it and they are less worry. I only need it for resumes, internet, writing my tests through distance education, and CaddyForums. :cool:

Beefcurtains
11-13-03, 09:54 AM
Why use IE when Mozilla is right there? Built in anti-spam filters, pop-up protection, image permissions (no banner ads), and none of the vunerabilities of IE.

I have run into sites that only support IE, also personal use. So dave if you don't mind me asking what do you do for a living?

DaveSmed
11-13-03, 06:30 PM
If you get one of the new I-Macs with OS-X, you will be very happy with it. They are based on a similar platform to linux, but with corporate backing it has been refined much more. On Microsoft coming with it, It comes with IE, and MS Office is available in a special Mac version.

As far as employers, Ask anyone who deals with graphics for a living. Mac is the name of the game there. However, IBM is pretty much everywhere else.

As far as what I do for a living, I'm a student at Bucks County Technical High School. Neat place, and if you couldn't tell, it was a toss up between Computer Information Technologies and Automotive. :) I chose Auto, and luckily for me Auto has a much better setup than CIT. I will be working for a dealer Jan. of next year, and by the time I graduate, I will be ASE certified in the major areas of automotive repair.

Ralph
11-14-03, 01:34 AM
If you get one of the new I-Macs with OS-X, you will be very happy with it. They are based on a similar platform to linux, but with corporate backing it has been refined much more. On Microsoft coming with it, It comes with IE, and MS Office is available in a special Mac version.

As far as employers, Ask anyone who deals with graphics for a living. Mac is the name of the game there. However, IBM is pretty much everywhere else.

As far as what I do for a living, I'm a student at Bucks County Technical High School. Neat place, and if you couldn't tell, it was a toss up between Computer Information Technologies and Automotive. :) I chose Auto, and luckily for me Auto has a much better setup than CIT. I will be working for a dealer Jan. of next year, and by the time I graduate, I will be ASE certified in the major areas of automotive repair.

Thanks for the info, as I don't know much on this but I am learning in a crash-course fashion! What is IE, and regarding the special Mac version for Microsoft, do you have to pay extra? Also, if I get Microsoft with a Mac, does that mean I am just as susceptable to a virus as I am with an IBM??

pink panther
11-14-03, 01:49 AM
I do believe I will be in your fair province next Sunday.

I think our seats are about center of the south end Zone.

Grey Cup!!!!!!!

If there is anything we mention about computers that is not clear - do ask - I am glad to share what info I know - and then someone else with bigger smarts can share more than me....

Also

At <www.download.com> there is "addaware" and there is "ad-aware 6.0"

I loaded "addaware" the first time - but it was a huge file and did not work well.

So I askedaround - found out that it was supposed to be "ad-aware 6.0" and found it.

It is a small file - downloads fast, and works GREAT.

It is a "Lavasoft" product.

Look for the "lavasoft" name.

I run it most any time I have been online and visited sites I am not familiar with - or when My e-mails load slow, etc.

GO WEST!!!!!
See you all in Regina SK - Sunday..

Jesda
11-14-03, 07:38 AM
I had a recent run-in with a few viruses. So here's my recommendations:

If you suspect infection, do the free virus scan IMMEDIATELY at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Next, download and install AVG AntiVirus (free) from www.grisoft.com

Now, boot into safe mode, go to C:\ and look at the properties on a folder called System Volume Information. You may have to go to folder options and enable system/hidden folders. This is where your System Restore information is kept. Add Administrator priveliges to the folder in properties, KILL the folder. Often, viruses can hide in there where most scanners cant get to them.

Finally, do as I did. Dump Windows and get another Mac.

-Jesda

DaveSmed
11-14-03, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info, as I don't know much on this but I am learning in a crash-course fashion! What is IE, and regarding the special Mac version for Microsoft, do you have to pay extra? Also, if I get Microsoft with a Mac, does that mean I am just as susceptable to a virus as I am with an IBM??
IE=Internet Explorer. Anyway, some stores have sales where you can get a discount on Microsoft Office if you buy a Mac from them. With regards to viruses, you still are less suseptible, because Windows viruses don't run on Macs. Grisoft AVG is the stuff, I recommend it for Windows users because although Norton does work well, It's big (makes your computer WAY too sluggish when compared to AVG) and they harvest money from you AFTER you buy thier product for update subscriptions and such, which are a necissity in any Anti-virus program.

pink panther
11-14-03, 06:36 PM
I am looking real hard at Linux Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2.

Although the first several generations of Linux were only useful to the computer "geeks" (After Bill Gates, this is a compliment, not a put-down), hard to use, different in looks.

The new Mandrake looks either as much like Windows as you want - or as unique as you want - I was on one website that showed semi-transparent drop down menus.

Was that ever cool.

The greaqtest thing about Mandrake, or for that matter, Linux.

No licensing - it is open software.

So a complete package similar to MSOffice cost about $39 USD rahter than several hundred $$'s.

And you can let your friends load it too - all legal.

No one use keys in the software, and all the other profit scratching crrrap.

ALSO - linux does not crash - according to users testimonies - some who have been using it for up to 4 - 5 years now - without one single crash.

Just do a Google Search for "Linux Mandrake" and do some research.

A lot less expensive than buying a mac system. mac is great if you are into graphics and digital video editting.

I recently spent $500 CDN on a new tower - if I spend another $60 cdn on Linux Mandrake O/S (Operating System - that is what Windows is)

I am still $$$'s ahead of picking up a Mac.

Good Luck

Good Luck.

DaveSmed
11-14-03, 07:39 PM
Well that isin't exactly true. Granted you have to work to get it to crash by installing VERY poorly written programs, but thankfully that doesn't happen too often. However, I can let it sit there for as long as I want playing MP3s reading CadillacForums on programs that are coded correctly (like the majority released), and it will continue to do that for as long as you want. My last reboot was 3 months ago, since I have a battery backup (APC 1400 UPS). Even that reboot ws to play with the insides of my computer, as one of my cooling fans died.

Ralph
11-15-03, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the info. We were sent a Windows Update for the first time, so we downloaded the free virus protection. Man!! Did it ever take a long time (2hrs.), the bar was all the way to the right, but it said "please wait" We got fed-up and just closed it. I guess being armed with only 166 mhz's, patience is of the essence. Yes, I certainly noticed a slowdown after having Norton installed, but I suppose with a new computer, one would not even notice it. I was concerned that after installing the Windows update that it would slow it down even more, but I lucked out. Basically, I was told that my days are limited on the net with such a dinosaur, but time will tell. Thanks for your patience.

Dubya
11-19-03, 04:10 PM
don't know if you guys talked about this, but do i need my zonealarm if i have a linksys router w/firewall? my zonealarm used to always go off saying so and so was trying to reach this or that port. since the router it hasn't gone off once, i keep my norton running, but if i don't need it ill turn off the zonealarm to save resources, xp professional takes enough already

btw, got a

900mhz athlon
384mb sdram
75gig
64mb geforce 4
21" crt monitor :D - $60 off ebay!

for $150!!!

replaced a pentium 150mhz, 24mb, 1.5gig POS packard bell

thanks

DaveSmed
11-20-03, 09:04 PM
Nope, ZoneAlarm is just being a pain and eating resources. With out the Linksys (or any hardware firewall) i would recommend ANYTHING, but in your case the Router is already blocking anything it doesn't expect. On a side note, with ZoneAlarm, does the alarm goes off concurently with you doing something (like opening up IE)? If it just picks random times to go off then something may have gotten in already, and is trying to access the internet. Usually it is just a scheduler though (like automatic updates). If you know your computer is clean, ditch ZoneAlarm.

Thats one heck of a deal, how are the NVidia vid cards?

Dubya
11-21-03, 04:49 PM
thanks, ill ditch the zonealarm, but keep the norton anti-virus

some games, like Matrix are kinda choppy when alots going on, but i think more ram should fix that. otherwise, its a good card, any bigger and it would probably be overkill, the most my computer can hold is 512sdram :(

Ralph
11-22-03, 03:17 AM
Well I checked into Macs because they get less viruses, but they are just too expensive compared to a PC, so I'll just keep up the Norton for now. I hope the Norton version 2002 will be good enough protection for a while. It probably won't catch everything but at least I quarrentined a virus in it through Trendmicro. I will run a scan every week or so before a stupid Trojan virus can shut me down again! bouncer:

elwesso
11-22-03, 03:05 PM
Norton has an option to background scan and auto update.... I have it, and it scans always in the background, and updates itself every week or so!

That way you dont need to do scans, and it pops up with virus alerts if you want to (i programmed it to fix automatically without notification)

davesdeville
11-22-03, 09:04 PM
I have XP, and I'm keepin it. It just crashed last weekend when I spilled some milk on the keyboard, and tried to run the computer anyway, the standby button must've been shorted out because as soon as I turned it on it went to standby. So right as it went to standby I turned it off and it corrupted some system files. But before that it hadn't crashed since I got xp about a year ago.

I run zonealarm and Norton AV 2000, and I've never gotten a virus or anything like that.

Ralph
11-22-03, 09:49 PM
Norton has an option to background scan and auto update.... I have it, and it scans always in the background, and updates itself every week or so!

That way you dont need to do scans, and it pops up with virus alerts if you want to (i programmed it to fix automatically without notification)

Thats the strange thing Wes, I've got all that with Norton also, but, it was when I ran a scan that Norton came up on the screen and said I had another virus!? Coincidence?? I'll run a manual scan anyway just to be certain I don't have a total meltdown again. (even if it's not necessary)

Dave, is Norton 2000 adequate? I was told it's good to get the latest version because the viruses change every year. Mind you, you have the firewall, so that is good. I would run a scan anyway because you never know you have a Trojan until it's too late. Ours was there since 1998, and the occasional scan was run by my Fiance's brother who had the computer and Norton at the time!

I'm suprised the new Macs don't have the 3.5 in. diskette slot, just the cd.

DaveSmed
11-22-03, 09:59 PM
Norton 2000 is fine. The big thing is use LiveUpdate weekly! Norton 2000 updated regularly will provide more protection than Norton 2003 that has not been kept up to date.

Ralph
11-23-03, 01:09 AM
Norton 2000 is fine. The big thing is use LiveUpdate weekly! Norton 2000 updated regularly will provide more protection than Norton 2003 that has not been kept up to date.

You mean I can go to the official Norton web site and update? What is the address and is it free???? If so you are my hero! (besides KC that is) :coolgleam

elwesso
11-23-03, 11:20 AM
No you do it through the software.... And yes its free..

Like I said, you can have it do LIVE UPDATE automatically as often as you like!!!!

Ralph
11-24-03, 12:04 AM
No you do it through the software.... And yes its free..

Like I said, you can have it do LIVE UPDATE automatically as often as you like!!!!

OK, I clicked the Live Update On, but I thought after a year you still have to buy the disc for the most current Norton?! I mean, why would anybody buy it if all we have to do is Update the old-installed Norton.

davesdeville
11-24-03, 12:45 AM
My Norton 2000 can still get the latest virus updates for free. I don't know why anyone would buy a newer version...

Ralph
11-24-03, 01:31 AM
My Norton 2000 can still get the latest virus updates for free. I don't know why anyone would buy a newer version...

Hmmm, interesting, thanks. I guess they would love it if you always buy it and don't need to. But DO YOU GO TO THE ACTUAL NORTON SITE to update? Or just click on the auto thingy for your 2000 version?

elwesso
11-24-03, 04:57 PM
The live update thing does 2 things

1. It ONLY updates the virus list, IE it doesnt actually update the software itself!! it only increases its scanning capability
2. Live update is the SAME THING as going to the norton site.... i think you are a wee bit confused ralph... if you go to the norton website and the autoupdate thing, you will be performing the same task!!!!

davesdeville
11-24-03, 06:54 PM
1. It ONLY updates the virus list, IE it doesnt actually update the software itself!! it only increases its scanning capability

That's all almost anyone really needs. As long as it can catch recent viruses, it's good enough for most everyone.

DaveSmed
11-24-03, 07:08 PM
Yea, you miss out on all of the bloat and useless crap they pad it with each revision. Detect virus, remove virus. All it needs to do, but Symantec thinks otherwise.

WildFlax
11-27-03, 05:43 PM
Thursday. I bet I have the oldest computer on the Forum! Can you beat 166 mhz, with 10 gigs of harddrive!! Yes, I'm cheap but it works.

Well, quite a few years ago I had a Radio Shack Model I computer. I don't remember the clock speed, but the memory size was 16K !

It had no hard drive and no floppy drive - just an audio-tape player for recording.

Then I went to the bigtime. I bought some memory chips and brought the memory up to 64K ! I thought it was almost a mainframe computer.

Ralph
11-27-03, 09:39 PM
Well, quite a few years ago I had a Radio Shack Model I computer. I don't remember the clock speed, but the memory size was 16K !

It had no hard drive and no floppy drive - just an audio-tape player for recording.

Then I went to the bigtime. I bought some memory chips and brought the memory up to 64K ! I thought it was almost a mainframe computer.

I think I know exactly which Radio Shack model you are referring to, namely the TRS-80 cassette drive! We learned on them in junior highschool. Then my buddy, like you, also got a Commodore 64, and that was a big deal then. Regarding floppy drives, remember how you had to have one to "start up" them old things?! You must be in your 30's to remember all those. :shhh:

WildFlax
11-27-03, 10:26 PM
I think I know exactly which Radio Shack model you are referring to, namely the TRS-80 cassette drive!

Yes. As well as Model I, the computer was called the Trash 80 ! It was also called the Octopus because of all the external cables it had for the external units. But it was OK for those days.

Radio Shack was one of the Big Three in the early days of desktop computers. They were Radio Shack, Commodore, and Atari. Plus lots of little companies.

In my opinion, Radio Shack blew it. They had a marvelous start. They already had retail stores all over the country and a service organization for the Hi-Fi equipment they sold. But they got a reputation for a customer-be-damned attitude. After they got your money it seemed their attitude was the hell with you. Service work, of course, they charged for.

Later, Dell Computer came along. Their attitude was just the opposite. They couldn't do too much for the customer. They started small and grew to a pretty big company.

It pays to be nice - but you don't do it for gain !

Ralph
11-28-03, 01:28 AM
I had an Atari 2600 back in '81, and I thought it was cool. Do you remember the Atari 400 and the 800? I think they both had keyboeard built in to them. Those might have been the very first "complex" computers the consumer could buy? I'm afraid I haven't followed the computer Co's as well as you, I only care if they work properly.

Why does Radio Shack always want your name and number, very wierd. :annoyed:

davesdeville
11-28-03, 02:17 AM
The middle school I went to still uses an Amiga 2000 video toaster. Don't know how old it is, but it's ooooold.

Ralph
11-28-03, 02:28 AM
The middle school I went to still uses an Amiga 2000 video toaster. Don't know how old it is, but it's ooooold.

Don't know that "computer." Although the name Amiga sounds familiar. Is "middle school" American for Junior Highschool? (grades 7,8 and 9)

WildFlax
11-28-03, 12:35 PM
Why does Radio Shack always want your name and number, very wierd.

It's so they can send you junk mail.

davesdeville
11-28-03, 05:55 PM
Don't know that "computer." Although the name Amiga sounds familiar. Is "middle school" American for Junior Highschool? (grades 7,8 and 9)

Yeah it's the school between elementary and high, and it used to be called junior high.

The Amiga 2000 is about as old as I am: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=63

Ralph
11-29-03, 03:16 AM
Yeah it's the school between elementary and high, and it used to be called junior high.

The Amiga 2000 is about as old as I am: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=63

Interesting website. The graphics don't look too bad for that Amiga, although they are a far cry from playing Need For Speed on my PS2. :D I checked out the new EMacs, and the graphics are super, but it was a brand new computer with only 800 mhz!!?? What gives, I mean any PC now has at least 2.5-3ghz. Because my 1997 486 is fast becomming slower and obsolete, if I buy a new one it will be the fastest one I can afford. For 600 dollars I can get a 2.5 ghz, and it is about 10 times better than what I have now. But the EMac was 3,100 dollars!! I don't think so! :disappoin

DaveSmed
11-29-03, 03:38 AM
Its hard to explain, but an 800 Mhz Apple is plenty. They use completely different style processors, so you are not exactly comparing apples to apples. (REALLY bad pun) Basically, the Mhz rating favors Intel, but Apple and thier Motorola/IBM are just as quick. (usually faster)

Ralph
03-05-04, 02:24 AM
I caught a new virus and quarentined it! :helpless: It's supposedly common, and called the "W32BeagleE" It's a worm that creates a back-door that allows a remote attacker to penetrate your machine. What worries me is that Norton indicated I had 2 new viruses, but when I quarentined one of them, it said "there were no more detected!" So I don't know what happened to the 2nd Beagle, but I hope it got stored away with the other one!?

Anyone else get this one, or have problems because of it?

Make sure to run a scan every week!!!

Playdrv4me
03-05-04, 04:04 AM
I am the worst when it comes to internet security, and I work in a technical field which is pretty sad, but the truth is, ive never really had a bad run in with any virus, even the trojan types. My company probably hates me for it, but this laptop I use at home (which actually belongs to them), has Norton (now Symantec AntiVirus Corporate) and I update it every once in a while which should be alot more often. But even with all the virii out there, my biggest headache and complaint on the internet is still none other than frieken spam and adware/spyware, this stuff is the infestuous rot and cholesterol of the modern internet, I started getting spam on my damn Sprint phone the other day!!! Its tied to an email address that I most certainly never gave to anyone, which thats just pretty rediculous. I have to clear this machine of processor grabbing poo every two months or so, and ive got most of my useful programs finally drilled down to versions that dont generate this crap. Kazaa Lite K++ is the last one of the programs I "have to have" that is still a backdoor for this stuff, but its a deal with the devil I suppose...

end rant

Elvis
03-05-04, 11:08 AM
There is a LOT going on in the virus world right now. I got hit last week and recovered. These guys aren't even Americans. I hope we can catch them and prosecute them under the Patriot Act.

Check out this article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4422372/

Ralph
03-06-04, 04:53 AM
I am the worst when it comes to internet security, and I work in a technical field which is pretty sad, but the truth is, ive never really had a bad run in with any virus, even the trojan types. My company probably hates me for it, but this laptop I use at home (which actually belongs to them), has Norton (now Symantec AntiVirus Corporate) and I update it every once in a while which should be alot more often. But even with all the virii out there, my biggest headache and complaint on the internet is still none other than frieken spam and adware/spyware, this stuff is the infestuous rot and cholesterol of the modern internet, I started getting spam on my damn Sprint phone the other day!!! Its tied to an email address that I most certainly never gave to anyone, which thats just pretty rediculous. I have to clear this machine of processor grabbing poo every two months or so, and ive got most of my useful programs finally drilled down to versions that dont generate this crap. Kazaa Lite K++ is the last one of the programs I "have to have" that is still a backdoor for this stuff, but its a deal with the devil I suppose...

end rant

That's nutty about your phone Dude! Sounds like a bugger. Still, we need our toys, yes? Think of all the jobs created because of all the poo that these computers acquire! Virus protection, spyware, Norton, etc. So it's a good thing for spam? :devil: :p

Ralph
03-06-04, 04:55 AM
There is a LOT going on in the virus world right now. I got hit last week and recovered. These guys aren't even Americans. I hope we can catch them and prosecute them under the Patriot Act.

Check out this article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4422372/

Interesting article! I was sure I spelled Beagle correctly because I got the spelling from Norton's list of known viruses/ :confused: Maybe there is another one out there spelled similar.

Elvis
03-07-04, 06:31 PM
Bagel is one of the new ones. Probably only a couple months old. Probably some Croatian trying to spell "beagle."

The latest trend in e-mail viruses is to make them look like they came from a trusted source. I know of at least five times in the past week that I've received e-mails from people I probably know that were attempts at spreading the virus. They are unaware.

One of them looked like this:

Dear user of (my domain name),

Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content)
outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
follow the instructions.

Further details can be obtained from attached file.

Have a good day,
The (my domain name) team http://www.(my web address).com

I've already seen three variations on this theme. I know for a fact that none of my people did this, so it's coming from outside. A virus pulled my e-mail address out of somebody's address book, customized the above message, and sent it to me.

In the past it was easy to distinguish between spam, viruses, and legitimate e-mail. Now you have to think twice before opening.

And yes, I've received four spams/viruses on my phone in the past week. Something weird is going on alright. :hide:

Ralph
03-08-04, 03:49 AM
Bagel is one of the new ones. Probably only a couple months old. Probably some Croatian trying to spell "beagle."

The latest trend in e-mail viruses is to make them look like they came from a trusted source. I know of at least five times in the past week that I've received e-mails from people I probably know that were attempts at spreading the virus. They are unaware.

One of them looked like this:

Dear user of (my domain name),

Some of our clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content)
outgoing from your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by
a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe,
follow the instructions.

Further details can be obtained from attached file.

Have a good day,
The (my domain name) team http://www.(my web address).com

I've already seen three variations on this theme. I know for a fact that none of my people did this, so it's coming from outside. A virus pulled my e-mail address out of somebody's address book, customized the above message, and sent it to me.

In the past it was easy to distinguish between spam, viruses, and legitimate e-mail. Now you have to think twice before opening.

And yes, I've received four spams/viruses on my phone in the past week. Something weird is going on alright. :hide:

That's why I don't like Microsoft Outlook! As soon as it was sent, YOU GOT IT! As soon as I went to check the mail, I got a Norton "pop-up" box indicating I had the Bagal virus! Any virus automatically is opened even if you don't click on it because even to get rid of it, you must "highlite" it. With Hotmail, it's great! Every other day I get sent strange emails, and I just click the little box amd "delete." Presdo, no virus can enter. Outlook is another story! :rant2:

LOL! You guys and your fancy cell phones! I have a 1997 Motorola DPC 650 flipphone! It's as big as a brick, and just as heavy, but has NEVER let me down. :D Is it even possible to delete all the crap you get on the new pic phones, etc? Is there some program you can download to protect it? Now Norton will make millions developing technology to prevent viruses on these toys! :hmm:

Elvis
03-08-04, 10:36 AM
In Outlook Express, you have to click to open the attachment. You can still receive the e-mail without getting infected.

I still have one of those Motorolas with two spare batteries and a charger. I also have a couple of StarTacs with a hands-free adapter for your car, two Motorola permanent-mount phones for a car, and a Nokia from about four years ago with a hands-free adapter. If I can get it all rounded up in one box I may sell it all on eBay and get $10!

Ralph
03-08-04, 04:11 PM
In Outlook Express, you have to click to open the attachment. You can still receive the e-mail without getting infected.

I still have one of those Motorolas with two spare batteries and a charger. I also have a couple of StarTacs with a hands-free adapter for your car, two Motorola permanent-mount phones for a car, and a Nokia from about four years ago with a hands-free adapter. If I can get it all rounded up in one box I may sell it all on eBay and get $10!

My Outlook must be a different version. Keep in mind that I am running Windows '98, and the Outlook is the 1997 vintage! Maybe I can set it up so I must click on the mail to open it? Oh well, that's why I'm glad I've at least got Norton.

They've got newer versions of the StarTac, but they look the same, the last I saw them. It would be nice to not have to carry this brick around, but mostly I leave it in the car. At least Motorola is an American company, and it has never broke down. ;) Just needed a new battery.

DaveSmed
03-08-04, 08:55 PM

Thats IF it's in an attachment. There are other ways to exploit the preview pane in OE. One well known example (that has been since patched against) is using the part of OE that plays the cheezy music when you open an email. The music starts playing as soon as you highlight the email. Well, the virus started infecting your computer instead of playing music.

And I also see email spoofing is alive and well. I have been getting a few bounced emails from the address in my sig going to Boeing. The nice part was they contained viruses in attachments. Ah well such is email....