: Replacing ignition key

Dalis
07-22-05, 12:22 AM
Have a 2003 Cadillac Escalade and want a another key. So I just picked up a key blank off the net and was going to get it cut. Everyone I talked to couldn't give me a straight answer. Do these keys have to be programmed or is it just cut and use? Do they have a chip inside? The other question is can the nav dvd player be used to play movies and have them watched on screens in the headrests? Thanks in advance.

Hatenit2001
07-22-05, 03:10 AM
Yes a chip...Resitor...You have to have a certified dealer make the Key...No external out-put on your DVD, Sorry

99 SKALAID
07-22-05, 01:15 PM
I disagree, NO chip :tisk:

Playdrv4me
07-22-05, 01:28 PM
I disagree, NO chip :tisk:

How can you be certain? I have a 2004 Avalanche and I couldnt get a remote start installed for less than 250.00 because I needed additional parts due to the Key transponder. I would be hard pressed to imagine an Escalade didnt have the same feature or better.

Super
07-22-05, 02:50 PM
no chip, I have made 3 new keys for my lade....

Dalis
07-22-05, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. But does the key or vehicle have to be programmed after the key is cut?

Super
07-22-05, 03:51 PM
no, just cut the key and itīs ready to be used

Neosonic
07-31-05, 04:58 PM
does this hold true to the 2005 ESV? to replace the key the dealer is charging $95 two diffrent dealers have told me to diffrent things... one> "yes the key has chip" other dealer "no, no chip just cut" for $95 it better have somthing...

99escalademan
07-31-05, 06:09 PM
does this hold true to the 2005 ESV? to replace the key the dealer is charging $95 two diffrent dealers have told me to diffrent things... one> "yes the key has chip" other dealer "no, no chip just cut" for $95 it better have somthing...

You probably know, but auto parts are a huge markup. they probably aquire a cut key for 20-30$. They are just selling it for 95$ cause they know people will pay it.

firedawg911
07-31-05, 06:53 PM
The keys for the 02-05 Escalades do not have chips. Your vehicle is equipped with the Passlock theft-deterrent system. Passlock enables fuel if the ignition lock cylinder is turned with a valid key. If a correct key is not used or the ignition lock cylinder is tampered with, the fuel system is disabled and the vehicle will not start. This system is designed to deter a thief from starting your car without a key. I believe I saw key blanks for Escalades on e-Bay. I suppose a person could purchase one of those and take it anywhere keys are cut to have a duplicate made.

firedawg911
07-31-05, 07:00 PM
I found the keys on eBay. The item is #7989924646. The seller states that if the key does not have PK3+ stamped on it, it is a non-transponder. The bidding starts at $9.99, considerably less than $95.00. The seller also offers to cut the key by code for a small fee. I hope this helps.

Cadillade
08-02-05, 03:28 AM
Just go to your favorite hardware store and get a key made for under 5 bucks. It is a good idea to have a plain key, rather than a Cadillac emblem on it. Just in case you lost or misplace your key, someone won't be looking for a Cadillac in the parking lot, for example.

cd24747
11-02-07, 04:38 PM
will it shut down the fuel system for a period of time? or do you just need the right key and it will work right away. i used one of the two keys and my 04 escelade wouldnt start. it took about two hours to start it and it started with the other key when it finally did.

TREE
11-03-07, 03:10 PM
I am absolutly sure that the escalade does not take a "TRANSPONDER" key until 2007. It DOES have a passlocksystem which has nothing to do with the key per say all it does is sense the ignition being in the car and not being hotwired. All you have to do is go to a reputable locksmith and have the cut the key for you from your original key. DO NOT GO TO WAL-MART OR HOME DEPOT as the make many keys anddont adjust there key machines nearly as much as a good locksmith does. AGAIN THIS IS JUST A STANDARD KEY. They way you tell is by looking at the metal blade of you existing key and if it does dont have " PK3 " stamped on it, it is not transponder. I AM SURE IT IS A REGULAR KEY.

trodder
11-08-07, 11:17 AM
the keys do need to be programmed. I just got a replacement key off of ebay and they sent me the sequence to program it. It was very simple and totally worth it. I even got a key with the embelem for a pretty reasonable price plus a new key fob. I will look up a link for it and post it.

By the way it was for an 03 Escalade.

trodder
11-08-07, 11:20 AM
The company that I got mine from is US Autolock. Here is a link for just the key: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-2000-2005-ESV-EXT-ORIGINAL-UNCUT-KEY_W0QQitemZ270183446655QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33723Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a link for both:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-2004-2005-06-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-KEY-KEYLESS-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ270183195051QQihZ017QQcategoryZ337 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They sent me directions to program both the key and the key fob and both worked GREAT!

TREE
11-14-07, 05:21 AM
Read what you bought DUMMY. It says right in the Ebay ad that this is a NON TRANSPONDER KEY. I HAVE DONE MANY ESCALADES AND THIS KEY IS NON TRANSPONDER UNTIL 2007. IF IT IS TRANSPONDER THEN YOURS IS THE ONLY 2003 ESCALADE ON THE PLANET WITH A TRANSPONDER KEY. I SPECIALIZE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE TRANSPONDER MARKET AND I AM TELLING YOU IT DOES NOT HAVE A COMPUTER CHIP IN THE KEY.ALL OTHER CADILLACS DO IN THAT YEAR EXCEPT ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, AND ESCALADE EXT.IF YOU GOT THAT KEY YOU ORDERED ON EBAY AND HAD IT CUT TO THE CORRECT KEY CODE OR COPIED IT FROM ANOTHER WORKING KEY IT WOULD START RIGHT UP. IF YOU DID GET A TRANSPONDER KEY YOU GOT TAKEN. NEXT TIME GO TO A LOCKSMITH OR DEALER INSTEAD OF PLAYING BACKYARD MECHANIC AND TECH SUPPORT. IF YOU WANT TO PROVE IT TO YOURSELF, TAKE YOUR $5.00 EBAY KEY AND BREAK OPEN THE HEAD OF THE KEY AND YOU WILL SEE THERES NO TRANSPONDER IN IT. ALSO PULL THE SHROUD OF THE COLUMN AND YOU WILL SEE NO TRANSPONDER RING AROUND THE INGNITION. THIS IS A REGULAR KEY. ABOUT $2-$4 FROM MOST LOCKSMITHS. IF YOU WANT THE "CORPORATE HEAD" PLASTIC TOP W/CADILLAC SYMBOL THEY ARE ABOUT $15 CUT IF YOU BUY THEM LOCALLY.

hcvone
11-14-07, 07:12 AM
Ok we understand. :)

silversport
11-14-07, 07:37 AM
...WOW!...
Hello Carl...:thumbsup:
Bill

hcvone
11-14-07, 08:17 AM
Hi Bill. :) What is going on.

trodder
11-14-07, 10:09 AM
Read what you bought DUMMY. It says right in the Ebay ad that this is a NON TRANSPONDER KEY. I HAVE DONE MANY ESCALADES AND THIS KEY IS NON TRANSPONDER UNTIL 2007. IF IT IS TRANSPONDER THEN YOURS IS THE ONLY 2003 ESCALADE ON THE PLANET WITH A TRANSPONDER KEY. I SPECIALIZE IN THE AUTOMOTIVE TRANSPONDER MARKET AND I AM TELLING YOU IT DOES NOT HAVE A COMPUTER CHIP IN THE KEY.ALL OTHER CADILLACS DO IN THAT YEAR EXCEPT ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, AND ESCALADE EXT.IF YOU GOT THAT KEY YOU ORDERED ON EBAY AND HAD IT CUT TO THE CORRECT KEY CODE OR COPIED IT FROM ANOTHER WORKING KEY IT WOULD START RIGHT UP. IF YOU DID GET A TRANSPONDER KEY YOU GOT TAKEN. NEXT TIME GO TO A LOCKSMITH OR DEALER INSTEAD OF PLAYING BACKYARD MECHANIC AND TECH SUPPORT. IF YOU WANT TO PROVE IT TO YOURSELF, TAKE YOUR $5.00 EBAY KEY AND BREAK OPEN THE HEAD OF THE KEY AND YOU WILL SEE THERES NO TRANSPONDER IN IT. ALSO PULL THE SHROUD OF THE COLUMN AND YOU WILL SEE NO TRANSPONDER RING AROUND THE INGNITION. THIS IS A REGULAR KEY. ABOUT $2-$4 FROM MOST LOCKSMITHS. IF YOU WANT THE "CORPORATE HEAD" PLASTIC TOP W/CADILLAC SYMBOL THEY ARE ABOUT $15 CUT IF YOU BUY THEM LOCALLY.

You are ridiculous... do you think your response is necessary? Did I say they have transponders? No I didn't... however for whatever reason there is a program sequence that I had to run on mine and they gave me the instructions to do it. The truck was giving feedback to the things i was doing to program it.

JonCR96Z
11-14-07, 07:36 PM
So do they have the transponder or not?

TREE
11-14-07, 10:53 PM
IM DONE. Enjoy you thread.

silversport
11-15-07, 07:07 AM
Hi Bill. :) What is going on.

...just enjoying my new to me 2000 Caddy Escalade...Pewter Metallic and Zaino...nice combination :2thumbs: nice place you have here...How's by you???

Bill

hcvone
11-15-07, 07:19 AM
All is well. :)

Cadillade
11-15-07, 08:16 AM
So do they have the transponder or not?

Nope. I got a plain key made in Home Depot and started right up with no programming involved.

frombk2sc
11-15-07, 10:12 AM
I have about 3 spare keys that i've had made for about $5 each... im driving a 05 ESV and haven't had any problems with starting the vehicle with each key... that should be the answer right there...

hotgrips
07-19-10, 10:05 AM
Saved over phone - ignition key will not turn. My Cadillac dealer wanted me to leave car for a few days, 4 hours to pull apart steering column and replace ignition key cylinder. LESS THAN 10,000 miles on 2005 Escalade EXT but over the factory warranty in months. A local kind locksmith told me a trick and it worked. My new unused ignition keys didn't work either, so it wasn't the keys. He said sometimes debris can find its way into the lock cylinder wafers and jam them, so he said to take a can of Carb Cleaner (not brake cleaner) with the long access nozzle, and flush out the ignition lock using the nozzle, with plenty of rags to catch the dripped fluid. Then take the key and move it in and out of the lock a few dozens of times and reflush with nozzle. It worked, and the ignition key now works normally. I had already bought a replacement $42. lock cylinder from Autozone and was preparing for the worst. I had photocopied all the relevant pages from the 6" stack of repair manuals and did not look forward to disabling the air bag etc. Thank god for nice peole on the phone.