: I bought a cell phone today

Stoneage_Caddy
07-21-05, 06:55 PM
As some of you read in some of my ealier posts im not a cell phone person. So as this month came along my contract with verizon came up. I opted to drop them. and the research began....

I first went to cingular , and was damn near laughed out of the store when i awnsered the question "how many minutes did you use last month" I said "three" , they said "prove it" and i pulled the phone bill out....Even the manager said i am the first person he has ever seen that has a totoal of 27 minutes for 6 months of use....Being the sucker for gadgets i fell in love wth a new motorola razor , almost pulled the trigger

At work everyone uses a phone that has a walkie talkie built into it . At the dealer its pretty damned cruical becuase evryone runs around , even me. In fact im a pretty hot commodity around there and in order to find me they have to locate the other motorola walkie talkie. So after some reaserch and interviewing co workers i found they use ...the nextel....for all there communications...they only time they dont is when they have to contact "stoneage" (see where i get my name)

As some of you know the only thing i hate more than a cell phone is a nextel...espically that "bleep bleep" shit ...But i feel i can benifit the dealer more and get more for my money beauce of that ...I would spend the same ammont anywhere and i might as well pickup a benfift or two while im at it.

So i ordered the nextel phone over the internet....and became a hippocrate ....

i thought you guys might get a kick out of this after all my nextel bashing i have done .....but i see the light ....just 1 week after i found myself likeing a 2004 Escalade with all the options and moonroof ....im turning into "the cell phone people" ....HELP !!!

Playdrv4me
07-21-05, 07:09 PM
I have to use a Nextel at work as well, I dont really mind it that much, and that Direct Connect is free as well. And now the Nextel phones are actually thin enough and have enough gadgets Im tempted to switch to Nextel myself.

I was looking at a Razr at Best Buy, they have a deal that blows Cingular out of the water, 99.99 plus activation. Cingular is 199.99 at their stores.

mccombie_5
07-21-05, 07:11 PM
OK guys i have no clue what you are talking about. My office can get me on my cell, adn thats all they need:D ok im done pretending not to be old

Stoneage_Caddy
07-21-05, 07:22 PM
mccombie , im the same way but im scared im gonna get left behind ....i still wont use it while driving .....

ive had jobs before tho that i needed to be able to be contacted 24 hours a day 7 days a week , but when i layed down my "firetruck wrenches" in may 2003 ive never had a need for that kinda contact , so my phone would collect more dust than minutes ...

also when i do get an aparentment i dont want a land line phone so this will be taking the place of the land line ....it will allow simplification of life ....

mccombie_5
07-21-05, 07:40 PM
I need to be contaced quite regularly so i keep the phone on me. My house operated for three weeks without the landline. Just. Flooding outed the phones, so i had to use cells for contacting my family etc...it got expensive.... my wife can do the text messaging thing very well. it takes me 10 minutes to type "hello"

powerglide
07-21-05, 07:46 PM
Boost Mobile....."where you at?"

I use Sprint PCS on the free-clear plan, they suck, but all my friends are on SPrint and its free PCS-PCS.....been with them since 1998!

Rolex
07-21-05, 08:53 PM
I bought the razor when it first came out (sucker). I paid 399 for it, and 99 for the wireless blue tooch head set. The head set is the coolest thing about the phone. I'd say 100-199 smokes is a fair price. It's very slim which is another plus.

The phone takes great pics, and according to the book you should be able to download the pics onto your PC. I believe cingulair tries to charge people for the program needed for downloading the photos.....which is a total rip off. I will be calling to get the program, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for it after paying full price for the phone.

Ralph
07-21-05, 09:02 PM
I guess I'm happy with my mint old 1997 Motorola 650 Flip and it's never let me down. It has a whooping 3,000 minutes on it. I only keep it in the car. It's embarrassing when someone sees me use it because it's as big as a brick! :D It will make a good door stop if it ever dies.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-21-05, 09:07 PM
i ended up with a "i860" for a phone ....nextel didnt have the razor as an option ....but boy was it a neat phone .....i envy whoever has one ...its a neat peice ....alotho i would probably never be able to use it LOL

Playdrv4me
07-21-05, 09:17 PM
Boost Mobile....."where you at?"

I use Sprint PCS on the free-clear plan, they suck, but all my friends are on SPrint and its free PCS-PCS.....been with them since 1998!

Heh... Boost, the "OTHER" White meat of the Nextel world...

You know Sprint gets badmouthed sometimes and Ive been with them forever, I have to say Its always been the good outweighing the bad. Add to that I get a 23 percent discount through the Bank I work for (BofA) and its a pretty sweet deal for Free and Flexible and the UNLIMITED Vision plan, which I connect to my laptop with a USB cable.

I havent owned a landline phone in nearly 5 years. Cellphones do everything I need them to do, and with highspeed cable theres just no reason for the old landline if you dont have kids or a wife at home for the security factor. With Unlimited Nights and Weekends, you can really talk at night all you want. Also, I believe the 7 Im looking at has a Sprint digital phone in it which is cool because I can just add it to my plan.

Rolex, thats BS, they shouldnt charge you for ANY program. All you need is a plain old USB cable for the RAZR, and then the drivers for your computer, if that. It shouldnt be too hard to do.

Elvis
07-21-05, 10:00 PM
Ralphie, I have TWO of those old Motorola flip phones I'm going to sell on eBay.

Stoney, you gotta get with it dude. It's 2005!!! ;)

I can't talk. I'm still using a Kyocera Palm phone. It's a b/w LCD screen, I'm on my second one like this since the first one died. It's about three years obsolete.

Sandy
07-22-05, 09:33 AM
I own no cell phone at all. Have no need, nor desire for such.
My home phone # is unlisted, too.

I would however like to buy a 30-minute plan and a
bare bones basic entry level cell phone, just to keep
in the car, if I should ever run into a situation.

Everytime I go to look the salesperson tries to
sell me up & up & up with plans & features I'd
never use! So, they lose a sale, and I still do
not own a phone, nor know the type of
phone that would fill my wants/needs.
I want the basic model Kia with no options.
They want to sell me the Mercedes S500 S55 AMG
model.
Years ago I had a Motorola 550 Flip phone, but
it was only Analog and when they all went to digital
it would not work, as I could not secure service.
I still have it, and it's flawless. IF ONLY I COULD GET
IT ACTIVATED! (The joys of being retired) !

Kev
07-22-05, 10:58 AM
Sandy, you might consider a TracFone or other 'pay as you go' phone and plan. It's probably the best deal if you don't plan on using the pone often. There's no monthly fee, no contract, you buy a phone for $50-100, buy however many minutes you think you might use in three months and go from there.

Playdrv4me
07-22-05, 11:03 AM
yea they sell those on QVC all the time. You buy the phone for some ridiculously cheap amount, like 16.00 after rebate, then theres no contract and you just refill the minutes when they run out. You do have to pay a fee to keep the line active, but its negligible, like 8.95 every three months or something.

Kev
07-22-05, 12:06 PM
yea they sell those on QVC all the time. You buy the phone for some ridiculously cheap amount, like 16.00 after rebate, then theres no contract and you just refill the minutes when they run out. You do have to pay a fee to keep the line active, but its negligible, like 8.95 every three months or something.With TracFone there is no extra fee to keep the line active other than buying more minutes. You do however have to buy minutes every three months at least or you can buy time which allows anual activation garrantee.

Kels55
07-22-05, 12:46 PM
As some of you know the only thing i hate more than a cell phone is a nextel...espically that "bleep bleep" shit

The only thing that I hate more than Nextel, that "Bleep,Bleep" shit, and other people listening into my conversations.....

Are those damn Nextel users that use the walkie-talkie feature at 3x the normal volume of a person to person conversation in a room full of people. Nobody wants to hear your damn conversation about pointless things, especially when it's so damn loud that you can't avoid listening by talking to the person next to you.

Sandy
07-22-05, 01:06 PM
Kev, please tell me where I could find & buy such a phone as that is exactly what i've been hunting for. Sounds perfect !! !! I see you are on the left coast as you call it. I am on the right coast (New Jersey). Got any clue as to where? What TYPE of outlets near you sell them. (I mean TYPE of store/retailer)....
We have Macys / Target/Walmart/Sams Club/ K-Mart/ Radio Shack/T-Mobile Stores/Home Depot among others.....

Playdrv4me
07-22-05, 01:06 PM
With TracFone there is no extra fee to keep the line active other than buying more minutes. You do however have to buy minutes every three months at least or you can buy time which allows anual activation garrantee.

Thats what I mean, instead of buying time you can just pay a fee to keep it active. It varies by provider of course. The problem with Tracfone is none of their phones seem very attractive, at least not the ones Ive seen. The QVC/Tmobile deal had a really nice little Nokia color phone

96CADDYDEVILLE
07-22-05, 01:10 PM
stoney (or i guess anyone who sees this) just for your info there are endless mods for the nextel phones, also if you get the usb data cable (ebay like 15 bucks)you can get alll the tones,games,apps, and wallpapers you want for FREE. idk if you would be into something like this just thought i'd let you know im kinda of a (self admitted) nextel geek.:hide:

Kev
07-22-05, 01:13 PM
Kev, please tell me where I could find & buy such a phone as that is exactly what i've been hunting for. Sounds perfect !! !! I see you are on the left coast as you call it. I am on the right coast (New Jersey). Got any clue as to where? What TYPE of outlets near you sell them. (I mean TYPE of store/retailer)....
We have Macys / Target/Walmart/Sams Club/ K-Mart/ Radio Shack/T-Mobile Stores/Home Depot among others.....Target and K-Mart carry them I think.
Here is a link to TracFone;
http://www.tracfone.com/

Kev
07-22-05, 01:18 PM
Sandy, you can look online, I just checked Kmart and they only listed a couple of accessories. Walmart sells them too, Target came up 0. You can get them online from Tracfone or call your local Walmart for starters.

Sandy
07-22-05, 05:43 PM
thanks !!

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-05, 06:09 PM
The only thing that I hate more than Nextel, that "Bleep,Bleep" shit, and other people listening into my conversations.....

Are those damn Nextel users that use the walkie-talkie feature at 3x the normal volume of a person to person conversation in a room full of people. Nobody wants to hear your damn conversation about pointless things, especially when it's so damn loud that you can't avoid listening by talking to the person next to you.
LOL i agree with everything you said kels55 ....im hopeing that i can turn that feature off when i leave work ...watch i wont be able to ....please someone tell me i can turn walkie talkie off and it be a cell phone with silent ring when im off work .....

Kev
07-22-05, 06:30 PM
LOL i agree with everything you said kels55 ....im hopeing that i can turn that feature off when i leave work ...watch i wont be able to ....please someone tell me i can turn walkie talkie off and it be a cell phone with silent ring when im off work .....With most of those phones I believe it is possible to turn down the volume or switch to a 'private' mode with the two way function. There should be info in the user's manual on it. You have read the manual right? .. . . . :rolleyes:

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-05, 06:36 PM
its not here yet , neither is the phone ....see me and sandy are alot alike ....we check off the options and colors we want and have it built for us ....so needless to say nextel hasnt shipped it yet , but it should be on its way to my doorstep soon

Kev
07-22-05, 06:40 PM
its not here yet , neither is the phone ....see me and sandy are alot alike ....we check off the options and colors we want and have it built for us ....so needless to say nextel hasnt shipped it yet , but it should be on its way to my doorstep soonGotcha. By the way, did you see the respone to your letter to Tony? :p

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-05, 07:00 PM
yes , yes i did ....too bad tony couldnt grasp the idea of me being there ...but i am looking forard to getting a nice tour of indy when i get there , that secruity officer sure was nice

Stoneage_Caddy
07-22-05, 07:01 PM
side note , even tho he is a bit of a sellout tony is a pretty nice guy , ive personally met him 3 times now ....we shared a few words about where the IRL and IMS is going in the future ..... hes pretty cool , but you can tell he hasnt "worked" like you and i have in life ....one of the silver spoon types

derrty_deville
07-22-05, 11:18 PM
stoneage, you can avoid being a cell phone people simply by never buying a cup of flavored coffee or entering an establishment that sells such a thing. and try not to look too important. i hate to break it yall but we all will own cars that can be driven 100k without needed an oil change before we see a cell service provider that doesnt try to somehow screw you over. mark my words, if it hasnt happened to you yet it will.

majax
07-25-05, 03:11 AM
when I was in Canada my Cingular service was called "Rogers" which I thought was odd...