: Owning rare car: good or bad?

Night Wolf
11-10-03, 09:55 PM
I have recently found out my car is really rare, becuase of the paint color (also '93 was the only year for this color) and model, there were only 119 of these cars built in the world Now my car is mint, semi low miles (85k) and such, I have put 5,300 miles on the car since I started driving, some 3 months ago.

now I keep asking myself, is this good or bad? I mean, hell, I have a super rare car that, in the future will really be desierable, but on the same level, now I gotta watch the millage, change my driving habits, be alot more careful, I can't really modify the car much...... and being 16 y/o I like to let loose some times, modify the car (weather it be performance or sound system etc...) and not have to worry about degrading the value of my car and such.

Even before I knew that is was very rare, I told myself I would like to keep the car, well, forever (as strange as it sounds) and this just adds that much more. I am tight for money right now, and these are my options:

Winter is fast approching, I was gonna get the underbody (which has no rust at all) rust-proofed, now that will be about $350, Right now, I do not know how many more NY winters me or the car will be going through (right now it only looks like 2.... 3 max) but then the rustproofing will help long term, right? like mud and just water? it'll protect the bottom of the car? Then I need to get 2 snow tires for the front, and since the front tires are pretty good (while the back could be replaced) the current front tires will go on the back, come Spring, I would like to buy 4 new matching, good brand tires (right now they are like made in China and stuff)

So figure I'll have to spend $500 to prep the car for winter use.

Is it worth the $500? becuase now I am thinking about just getting a cheap $200-$300 beater and use that in the winter, then I don't have to run the car at all and worry about the salt damaging the very valuable paint and underbody. But, the car would not be rust proofed, so it is still open to the environment.

Now I also have to think, next year, hopefully in the early summer, I would like to get a car that I can use on crappy days and to go back and fourth to school/work etc.... I have 3 options, get a cheap beater and just run it, get a nicer, older, cheaper car and have fun with it, or get a newer expensive car. Then atleast I don't have to worry as much about things, and I can modify it. I hate to keep mentioning Cadillac, but since I am all about big power in a sleeper, I was seriously thinking about getting a '87-'89 Brougham, stock it has the 307 which is a very low power engine, so I would run it as it is until I save up money to do a SBC or even Cadillac 500 swap, then go from there (way in the future though, first I would just need to get a car) being that my mother and her boyfriend (as of 15 years) have a Brougham, he would feel good about me owning it and support me in that decsion.

I know it is not practicle in many ways for a 16 y/o not making much money, full time student at HS and a student pilot to have 2 cars, but I didn't plan on owning such a rare car, since I am going to (95% chance) have this car forever, I want to keeep it in good condition, but i do not believe a car should sit in a museum, it was made to be driven, so I will do that, but I am just talking about not going to school/mall parking lot where careless people will slam their doors into it and drive it in bad weather etc...

I guess a few of my questions are, should I spend the money and run the DeVille through the winter (plus I never drove in the winter before, and if I damage the car becuase of a stupid mistake I make, I will be pissed) or start looking for a winter beater? (off hand I am thinking like 80's Subaru GL....4wd, seem to be dependable, don't care about body condition or what works on the car as long as the engine/drivetrain are good....they seem to be cheap on ebay, like $400) And also, next year, do I get a cheap beater to put around in, or something older but nicer (I like the big 80's RWD Oldsmobile cars, kinda the same chassis as the Brougham) becuase what I really wanted to do was save up $3500 and get a '96-'98 Grand Am GT 2.4 5spd is not very practicle from an economic standpoint, but I could get a nice shape Olds for like $1200, which is alot more doable.

Sorry to ramble here, I wasn't going to post this at first but just keep thinking about it all the time, and I need to find an answer.

Thanks everyone for reading through another novel

elwesso
11-10-03, 10:17 PM
Get the winter beater! You dont wanna be driving it in the salt, its a PITA to clean up in the summer!! I did it, and im gonna have to do it again!!

Id get something that drives and that it for the 500 you wanna spend on winter prep.... one of my teachers sold a Ford Festiva for 500 not too long ago.... It was near mint (as much as a festiva could be), and got 45mpg city......

Or you could spend more money and get a decent car, have fun with it, and keep the caddy for the weekend cruises!!! Thats what I would do anyway!!

elwesso
11-10-03, 10:18 PM
BTW.... You sure like making long posts and thinking out loud....... :D

Night Wolf
11-10-03, 10:52 PM
I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6783&item=2441245752

I e-mailed the guy with some questions, I wonder if the auction ends with no bids if they would take $100? plus, it is local, so that is even better..... Just gotta see what my moms boyfriend hinks, since he will be helping me with everything and has been guiding me along the way the whole time.

davesdeville
11-10-03, 10:57 PM
I know of a nice 425 powered 1978 Fleetwood Brougham you could buy for a pretty good price...

Night Wolf
11-10-03, 11:29 PM
yeah, in the Want Ad there is a '70 Fleetwood with a '75 motor (500?) for $500 says runs good needs body work....only thing is, $500 is too much for me to spend (becuase it will need other stuff) and I coudln't run such an old and classic Caddy like that as a beater.....

Ahhh this has to be soo complicated....

DaveSmed
11-11-03, 12:26 AM
I hear ya. As it looks right now, my cad is gonna have to brave the cold and rack up more mileage during the winter. The biggest problem is definitely gonna be rust. I'm gonna put 3 coats of wax on it and just not drive it when PennDOT is a it again with the salt.

Sandy
11-11-03, 12:36 AM
Save the snow tire money. Save the rust proofing money. Put the Caddy away for just 5 months > Nov. to end of March, and pick up a beater.

If you wanna modify a Caddy, put the Coupe up for sale and buy a "run of the mill" Caddy to modify. It's really easy to think through.

I'd advertise it in Hemmings Motor News as the final year Coue d Ville in the only new color for 1993 and what turned out to be a one year only color. 119 were made. Get a secretary to answer the phone!!!

Ralph
11-11-03, 12:53 AM
If it was winter driven in the past, then I wouldn't worry too much, just flush it often, AND GO UNDERNEATH THE WHOLE CAR! I am sort of in the same dilemma, but mine was NEVER winter driven, (I know this because my dad bought it new, and you can tell) and it is nice to be able to say that when it comes time to sell. (people can tell looking underneath if it was winter driven or not, I can) I still have paper tags on my suspension components. This winter I have decided that I will only drive it when it is at least -20 C because no wet salt will be on the road in this situation. It cannot hurt to have a winter beater, but then you need more money for 2 sets of plates, and that depends on your budget. Come spring, I can no longer brag about this I guess. :crying2:

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 02:10 AM
Well, my car was never driven in winter, or much of it, as it was Floridan car it's whole life (we got it in Florida)

There is no way I can part with this car and get another, it means too much to me.....

I am gonna ask for my mothers boyfriend (15 years already...when is it gonna progress?) Rich, and see what he says, he was first agaisnt me getting a beater, saying that he dosn't want me in an unsafe car and money is an issue, but since I told him how rare the car is he may change his mind....

...I would definitly take the DeVille off the road while I have the other car on the road, I have seen car covers made for the '91-'93 DeVille on ebay (although they were for the Sedan, even though it was like 3" longer I don't think it would make a differnce) but it would still be sitting outside (no garage or anything) although I guess sitting in one spot in the drive way with a car cover is far better then being driven in the snow. Couple times a week or so I would run it for like 10min or so, so the battery stays fresh and everything stays working correctly.

I had posted this question here and at the Grand Am Owners Club (GAOC) it seems like the majority of the people here are for getting a beater, while the majority at GAOC is saying to just run the car and get what it needs etc.... both have very good points..... personally I would like to get a cheap beater, it's a matter of what Rich says (he is pretty much my father figure, if he says not to get it, I am not gonna be like, oh, too late, then when I need him to help me with something ask for help etc..)

On a side note, it is completly random how I found this car, after I decided on a '91-'93 Coupe DeVille, Rich was like, well check the Orlando Post newpapaer, see what's in there (since he was gonna vist his brother for 2 weeks) so I just happened to see "1993 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, mint, loaded, new tires, $4450obo) Rich did most of the talking and such, I guess some of the cars at the dealer were vandalized as the hood orniment, trunk lock voer and 4.9 PFI emblem were missing, so the deal was I'll pay the $4450 and he got all brand new (gold) emblems right from the dealer. the money was wired down and Rich flew down, picked up the car, drove it around while he was down there, then drove it back up to NY (even though he had a round-trip flight ticket) and it was sitting my my driveway for a month or so befor ei got my license (more then that actually) It was listed on a Friday, I believe it awas Friday night when we did the search, the guy even said he highly doubted it would last the weekend. Right before that I was bidding on this beuatiful 2 tone blue '93 Coupe DeVille with equal miles (78k) and blue leather interrior (though it had the alloy wheels, no gold badges though, but silver and blue IMO go together oh so nice) and after putting a max bid of like $5,200 in, I was outbid (ended at like $6500) and it was pure chance this all happened.

Want to hear something strange? my passenger window started making grinding nosies, I thought the track got messed up, once we pulled the door panel we saw that there was actually a for sale sign int he door, a big one, all it had was a phone number (from the origanal owner, this is supposbly a 1 owner car, but Car Fax says there is like 3 or 4, but that *may* be the dealer, and when Rich temperary put it under his name to drive it up) so I still have that number, I want to call it sometime to see if I can get any info.

Anyway, this is still bugging me.........

Ralph
11-11-03, 04:31 AM
Night, those are great stories, LOL. As for car covers,I had one on my Pontiac and even though they are good for keeping the sun off a car, etc. the wind can "buffet" the cover into the paint and cause some bad scratching, so be careful! I used some ropes and tied it down good, but then it is a pain to fire it up every couple of weeks. As for Rich, well he sounds ok. I am not so sure that my stepdad and I got off to such a wonderful start, but I did pick up my Caddy off him for a song. :2thumbs: 15 years, yeah that's long-enough a wait for your mom! :tisk:

brougham
11-11-03, 11:07 AM
If you did try to sell it most people that call would probably just be seeing a 1993 Cadillac for sale. Not many would see it as a rare or collectible car.

Not winter driving a nice car is a good thing to do when you live in an area that salts roads. Cleaning them up in the spring isn't a problem but there's a reason why you don't see older cars in some areas. 2 of my cars get stored, the Cadillac actually got put away last weekend. Up here there are places that oil spray cars to help them last longer, it's a lot cheaper then $350. We've also never had a FWD car that has had snow tires. If you are going to winter drive it wait until you've used it a bit to decide if you want to buy them or not for it.

If you get a beater I'd avoid imports. They usually cost a lot to fix when they break down. At least parts don't normally cost all that much for Chryslers, Fords or GMs and they usually take longer to rust out too. If it does end up sitting for the winter it's better to not start it at all. Starting it once in a while doesn't give it time to warm up all the way.

Sandy
11-11-03, 12:57 PM
Night-Wolf, you've got a better Step~Father than many people have 'natural' Fathers. You are lucky.

As far as the Caddy, a soft cover will not scratch it. I have found the best covers are from JC Whitney, their $165.00 is very good. It has super duty elastic on the front & rear that goes under the bumpers, and does a great job hold it down.

Brougham:
"" If you did try to sell it most people that call would probably just be seeing a 1993 Cadillac for sale. Not many would see it as a rare or collectible car. ""

While I tend to agree with you I can also add the taking the 4th grade class to see the Mona Lisa in person will fall on unappreciative eyes, it still does not lessen the value of the painting.
Same with Rich's Coupe deVille. I'll bet $500.00 spend on her will put her back into show concours condition, and an advertisment in the duPont Registery with photo should return 125% of Rich's Father's investment! Guarantee $6,000.00 return ! {and} IF THAT person keeps it mint and not too many miles put on they'll get their $6k back, too.
There's a top for every pot and there are people out there looking for everything!!! Ramblers are hot, check out all of the Rambler sites on the web! (Over 50). Imagine a final year (forever) Coupe deVille? The storied history of the make? What other model style car had a Hollywood movie named after it?? "Coupe DeVile" ?? It's a :thumbsup:
car, all the way!!
IF I had the room, I'd make an offer! But ... no room! 6 cars = 3 users & 3 "toy collectables" I wish I could get it! I'd be :bouncy:

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 01:10 PM
There was a movie "Coupe DeVille"?

Actually, Rich isn't even my step father, since they are still just "going out"..... and since I have known him since...forever, he has been like a father to me in many ways, my real father OTOH can be a real ******* and has problems...acutallyl I havn't seen him since Memorial day eairler this year becuase of stuff that happened, going to be going to trial soon.

That old Subaru ended and none bid on it, I may give Rich a call, tell him about it, then offer the guy $100, they are only 20min away.... I dunno, I was reading reviews on it and most everyone said they are great cars (thione is FWD not 4WD though) although timing belt and CV joints seem to go bad for some people....

....yeah, to the average person I just have a normal Cadillac, noone knows how rare the color is, or that it is the last year for the CDV etc.... but I do.

I am undecided... *IF* I got the car for $100, I e-mailed the car, he said they do not know much and noone is a mechanic there, most the cars are donated by Salvation Army and stuff, he said the engine/tranny are good, it runs and drives, although it has 207k miles, body is in good shape etc... just needs a tune up and some TLC.... so a tune up is what $50? go on the cheap side (regualr Champion spark plugs, cheap 88cents/quart Advance Auto oil, cheap filters etc..) so that would be $150, even if it came to $200 total, and it happened to die after winter (doubt it) $200 for a winter car for around 5 months to keep the Caddy away from the salt and risk damaging becuase of bad road conditions isn't too bad.

Plus it would be fun to have something to play around with in the orchards, only thing is, all the reviews I read are for the 4WD model (which everyone says the car is crazy in 4wd) but none for just FWD, I wonder how good it would be in the snow?

I'll have to see, I'll call Rich and maybe we can take a look at it today, maybe he will detur me from it, I dunno.

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 03:07 PM
Well, I gave Rich a call, at first it didn't sound like it was a good idea, but then as I was telling him more about it, he thinks it might be good.

I sent another e-mail to the guy, as it is right now, we are gonna go there Friday and take a look at it, he said that if the car dosn't need anything major like brakes and stuff, something that would be $250-$300 then it is a good possibility.

So I am going to wait for the reply from the guy and see what happens..... If I did get the car I would probally get snow tires, atleast 2 on the front. Otherwise this will be pretty cool.

Subaru has always been one of the few imports I like, but this would be neat, sure I am not gonna win any races or go on a cross country trip, but just something to put aorund with locally in the winter and the occansional fun in the mid and orchards (well, depending on it's condition) Most of all though, I can go to school, mall, or a bigger city etc... and not have to worry about if my car will be ok or not and what people may do to it. I am not gonna beat it to death though, and I'll keep it until it dies, but for the price, it is hard to complane..... The cool part is, at elast I will get to drive a stick, even if it is a 94hp beast, it'll be fun, I have always wanted a standard.

I am excited....kinda strange, excited over a $100-$150 car, oh well, I think it'll be cool..... I'll have to wait for a super nice day (well, it's really cold, but one that is nice and sunny and clear) and go for a long cruise with the DeVille before it get's put away, if all this does happen, I will have to winterize the DeVille, I suppose also take the battery out so it dosn't go bad.

on a quick side note, I notice when it is really cold out (IE car is covered with frost) that the engine is slower to turn over, and dosn't fire up as quickly, I do not hit the gas when starting it (maybe I should tap it a little bit?) but this is just normal right? from everything being cold and stuff? the battery looks pretty new and is AC Delco, I have not had any problems, just worry sometimes about it, although I don't think it is too bad.

Sandy
11-11-03, 03:31 PM
Yes, there was a movie called Coupe deVille. I had a poster for it, and I just looked all over and cannot find it in a hurry. It was in like the late 1980s. I cannot recall who starred in it. I saw it. It was a comedy, one of those that you tend to forget all about seeing like 48 hours afterwards.
The Coupe deVille was SUPPOSED to return beginning in 1995, a year AFTER the new body style, but the bean counters at GM nixed the idea based upon sales of the 1989 thru 1993 moldel of the same name.

I don't believe that the name will ever again adorn a Cadillac. Sadly the designers constantly have to deal with the bean counters and the prior sales charts, limiting some of the best designs to the "circular file" :banghead:

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 03:48 PM
I don't mind Sedans, some cars actually look better with 4 doors then 2, the big body Brougham is a good example.... I think the new DeVille's look good, considering what mose DeVille's are used for, the 4 door seems more practicle....

....when the Eldorado was around, that was a nice 2 door sporty car and such, but now that's gone....

....looking at that guys listing, wow, he has tons of cars for like $300, he is local too, one of them cought my eye, the '86 Cherokee, as I have wanted one, but it is the 2.8 V6- not powerful and the standard which is a complete POS (between the 4.0 I6 and auto, the driveline was buellet proof) There was also an '88 Eldorado for like $300.....

.... but I am gonna see what happens with this Subaru.

elwesso
11-11-03, 05:36 PM
Dude, you need to seriously not make you posts so long :bonkers: :D

Who cares if the winter cars is a POS and has no power.... Power wont <always, but helps> get you out of snow!!!

And I also couldnt think of a cadillac as a winter beater!!!!

JJhomer83
11-11-03, 05:40 PM
Posts take long to read, mind trails off, forget what i read, have to start over, posts long to read, forgot mind read, trails off to start, duh.....

I think i have read more in this thread than i have in the past 2 months.

Well my 2 cents. BUY A POS. My last beater was an 86 nova 4 door 4sp. it didn't have a 3rd gear i didn't care it cost me 125 bucks.

elwesso
11-11-03, 05:46 PM
In my mind, when buying a beater there are these things it needs.....

1. A title
2. 4 doors that shut most the way
3. 4 tires with wheels
4. a heater
5. an engine and tranny that shifts into drive and can safely go above 40mph
6. Windows that shut all the way
7. A drivers seat and seatbelt

Anything other than those is irrelevant......

JJhomer83
11-11-03, 05:49 PM
In my mind, when buying a beater there are these things it needs.....

1. A title
2. 4 doors that shut most the way
3. 4 tires with wheels
4. a heater
5. an engine and tranny that shifts into drive and can safely go above 40mph
6. Windows that shut all the way
7. A drivers seat and seatbelt

Anything other than those is irrelevant......

Don't forget a LEGAL exhaust so you don't get pulled over.

elwesso
11-11-03, 06:09 PM
Right..... but most of the time thats nothing a little bondo and a trip to lowes wont fix for under $20......

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 08:55 PM
sorry about my posts...it's a thing i have where I go into much detail, every forum I go to everyone says something about my long posts...yet I have alot of trouble doing a 5 page report for school.

I asked the guy if we could take a look at the car, he was basically saying they are understaffed and don't know if they can get a prebid viewing in but he will talk to the manager.... I don't see why not? just looking at the car and may buy it, anyway I hope it'll all work out.

The one thing that car dosn't have that I wish it did was 4WD, better in the snow and to play around with, but i suppose if it did, it may have sold...so I will have to stick with FWD....

...and hey, if I like this car alot and want to get another Subaru, early-mid 90's Legacy wagons seem to go for undder $1k in good shape and they all have AWD..... just something for me to think about.

But yeah, for $100-$150 I really can't complaine about the car, granted everything needed to drive saftly works.

Night Wolf
11-11-03, 11:36 PM
The only thing about the Subaru that I question (right now) is that it is only FWD and not 4WD..... the car only weighs like 2300lbs and thw wheels are 13" I wonder if it would have a hard time in the snow or not.... plus I do not think it has ABS, that is gonna suck, I know just in the rain ABS has came in very, very handy, oh well, guess I will just have to get used to it.....Plus it is carburated, I wonder if that will give me trouble, or not durring the winter.....

Ralph
11-12-03, 02:49 AM
The only thing about the Subaru that I question (right now) is that it is only FWD and not 4WD..... the car only weighs like 2300lbs and thw wheels are 13" I wonder if it would have a hard time in the snow or not.... plus I do not think it has ABS, that is gonna suck, I know just in the rain ABS has came in very, very handy, oh well, guess I will just have to get used to it.....Plus it is carburated, I wonder if that will give me trouble, or not durring the winter.....

My 24 year old Pontiac has a carburator, the only problem you might have is the automatic choke thermostat dying, but then just get a manual cable putin, I did my own a few years back. Remember, Nascar still uses carburated engines, so there is reliability with old-style tech.

Sandy, for my car cover, I had an "Evolution 3" which was at the time, the best and softest thing you could buy. The inside layer was specifically soft for the finish of the car. The problems start when it sits outside in the wind, dust gets blown in under it, and believe me, it doesn't matter how soft it is, it will scratch paint when the winds blow moderate to high. ;)

brougham
11-12-03, 03:11 AM
Brougham:
"" If you did try to sell it most people that call would probably just be seeing a 1993 Cadillac for sale. Not many would see it as a rare or collectible car. ""

While I tend to agree with you I can also add the taking the 4th grade class to see the Mona Lisa in person will fall on unappreciative eyes, it still does not lessen the value of the painting.
Same with Rich's Coupe deVille. I'll bet $500.00 spend on her will put her back into show concours condition, and an advertisment in the duPont Registery with photo should return 125% of Rich's Father's investment! Guarantee $6,000.00 return ! {and} IF THAT person keeps it mint and not too many miles put on they'll get their $6k back, too.
There's a top for every pot and there are people out there looking for everything!!! Ramblers are hot, check out all of the Rambler sites on the web! (Over 50). Imagine a final year (forever) Coupe deVille? The storied history of the make? What other model style car had a Hollywood movie named after it?? "Coupe DeVile" ?? It's a :thumbsup:
car, all the way!!
IF I had the room, I'd make an offer! But ... no room! 6 cars = 3 users & 3 "toy collectables" I wish I could get it! I'd be :bouncy:

He probably would be able to get his money back if it was sold, but just like any other 10 year old car it's still going to go down in value every year until it hits a certain point and starts coming back up. Having a low production number and being the last year of the Coupe De Ville probably will help it's value a bit in the long run, but only to the people who are interested in them. Only time will tell. But like I said, not winter driving a nice car is a good thing to do. And a car that's kept up well is always going to be worth more then one that's worn out :)

For normal driving AWD isn't needed anyway. ABS is nice to have in real emergences but again isn't needed. If the carburetor and choke are working properly you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Sandy
11-12-03, 10:00 AM
The Special-Interest & collector car market is booming. There are entire publications soley devoted to it. Magazines like Car Collector, News Papers like Old Cars Weekly, magazines like the DuPont Registry and The Robb Report, Marquis Clubs Newsletters, etc, etc. There arepeople out there looking for absolutely anything, you'd be amazed. AMC (American Motors Corporation) cars are wild! So much interest in Ramblers, Americans, Rebels, Javelins, Ambassadors, Matadors, Pacers, Gremlins & all the others.....You could not believe it. Other makes, Coupes & Rag Tops are ~~HOT~~ Everyone's looking for LOW mileage, and THAT is the KEY! Low miles & really great condition and you can just about reach for the pie in the sky for your price, and you'll get it!!

Some cars, most folks never heard of. The really obscure also bring mucho money! Look at some of the prices at Scottsdale Auto Auction, last year. Unbelievable what people will pay when they see something they really want. You can't judge the market by the $35,000 a year married guy with two kids. There are hoards of people out there with HUGE bank accounts! - More than ever, right now. Some are flashy, some are not. If they are rich & like cars, they WILL pay for their pleasure :)

brougham
11-12-03, 11:07 AM
There is a market for unique cars, but they're all older. The only new ones that people are after are the ones they've always been after- things like Porshes and unique ones like the Viper. What I'm saying is until it gets to be that classic collector age to most people it's just going to be a typical used Cadillac. The only people right now who are going to see the collectible potental in it, or even follow into it are going to be the people who are truly interested in Coupe DeVilles or low number Cadillacs/GMs. It's like the RWD Fleetwoods. They hold their value better then other Cadillacs of the same year range because they're RWD and different then the rest in that true Cadillac sense, but again the only people who are going to see them as future classics are the people who are interested in them. To everyone else they're just nice older cars.

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 05:22 PM
Hmm. Sandy, where do you get all those numbers? I know that there is a very good possibility that my car is rare, but I want to find out for sure. There were only 9,850 Sedan deVilles made as opposed to 72,662 Hardtop Sedan deVilles, and mine has weird options to boot.

AMCs worth money? My buddy will get a kick out of that one. He has a rare one lounging in his yard for sale for about 2 months now.

Sandy
11-12-03, 06:18 PM
Seems to me like you've allready obtained the numbers.

Wanna see? go to http://www.google.com and enter AMC Cars. You need a couple hours. Then start over & enter American Motors and check all that out ~

DaveSmed
11-12-03, 09:51 PM
Well, that was all the numbers I have :) Where do you get the breakdown by paint color and stuff like that?

Sandy
11-12-03, 11:15 PM
I only have that (Paint Color Breakout) from 1985 thru 2002. Sorry, I cannot help you on that.
I got them thru Cadillac from a friend who is now retired and left the company.

Ralph
11-13-03, 12:55 AM
Earlier this year, there was a Gremlin for 15,000 U.S. in near perfect condition, with low miles! I cannot remember where I saw it, but the 1970's cars are hot right now. I wish my stepdad kept his 1971 Olds 442 w-30 coupe! He bought it new. He sold it in 1977, and we know the guy who has it. Only 11,000 miles! I am talking about the original Firestone Wide O Ovals as well. I still have the option sheet and the cost was $6,241 and change. There is actually quite a story with that car, and it involves one of Reggie Jackson's "scouts" for low mileage cars. Dig under "Oldsmobile that got away" or ? and I detail the options, etc. My dad never puts a lot of miles on his "nice" cars.

Sandy
11-13-03, 09:17 AM
I just, ~ Awe, never mind..........

DaveSmed
11-13-03, 06:55 PM
A GREMLIN?! $15,000?! I wonder what that 1970 AMC Javelin SST "Mark Donohue" edition is worth, one of 2,001 made. Want rarer? This one has the 390! I gotta go talk to him about that thing.

Night Wolf
11-14-03, 08:04 PM
well, copied form something I typed up at another site (Subaru) so some things may be out of place....

----------

Well, we checked it out, about the Subaru:

rust wasn't TOO bad, someone must have backed into a pole kinda slow with the rear bumper, shocks for the rear hatch were worn (who cares) the oil was a little below the L on the dipstick, but when it was running, according to the oil pressure guage (dunno if it was accurate or not) it was about 3/4 the way up, I think 35 or 45 was in the middle...otherwise if it was accurate, the oil pressure is really good, the alternator was charging the battery too, no check engine light or anylike that was on, and once it turned over it started up. the tranny was pretty tight and went into gear well, clutch was good, but it needs rear brakes (they were grinding) One thing that is interesting is the engine is fuel injected, not a carburated like I origanally thought....pricing on it is not done yet, anywhere from $100-$200 with it looking to be more like $150+

While I didn't drive the car, my mothers boyfriend (as of 15 years) did, since he is guiding me along on all of this.

To move the Subaru we had to move an older Nissan Sentra (stick) out of the way (then tried to jump the Subaru as it was dead, but cables were shot so we put a differnt battery in) the Senta was carburated, ran good, although seemed a little hard to go into reverse, they wanted $100 for that....

....but sitting right there was a '72 Chevy Chevelle/Malibu 4door, auto, stright 6, 2bbl etc.... it was in general good condition, the bottom part of the fenders were rotted, interrior was nice, we got the hood open, but the battery in that was dead, it was getting dark too.....we may go back, check the under body of that, see/hear it run and drive around, although they were asking $300, they are very reliable and extremly easy to work on...I don't like the idea of using such a nice classic as a winter car, but it's been around for 34 years and I am sure seen it's share of winter...... but if I got that and in the summer had money, it is just dying for a V8 transplant and to be fixed up....

....but the thing that comes down to right now, for any of the cars is money, which I do not have much of..... my summer job ended, and I havn't found a winter job yet (after like 15 friggin apps in) so I have no income, I only have money in the bank for next months car insurance + about $80 after that, and have like $25 in my wallet, tonight I am gonna unload a crap load of stuff on ebay.....

I dunno if we are going back tomorrow or not..... I personally liked the Subaru, but it will need a brake job, and who knows what else, although it is still considered.....we want to hear how the Chevelle runs and drives and see about that too....

but with this money thing, I am probally just gonna run the DeVille in the mean time, with the regular tires on it and without the undercoating.....if it starts snowing a bit, I'll just stay off the roads the best I can, and when I do just wash the underbody etc.... atleast until I get a job and get income.....

I have 3 more payments of $338/month car insurance, then in Febuary, I have 6 months of no payments, THEN I'll have money and what not etc.....

From my very limited time int he Subaru, I liked it, it needed a good cleaning, but I liked the gauges, it had AC (not sure of it's condition) hand crank windows (which are good in this case, atleast there are no motors or switches to go out) the rear wiper works, parking brake worked etc..... overall for the price it wasn't bad, but it did need a brake job, and that can be like $200......

But all this comes down to money, and this sucks, I guess I'll run the DeVille for now, take it easy and only drive to where I must go, atleast until I get a job and get more money....... I'll have to see.