: fog light advice...

MISTERK
07-21-05, 03:27 PM
i want to change my fog lights to match my plasma white hids. has anyone done this? im thinking about going with yellow fog light bulbs from nokya. what do you guys think? any input would be appreciated.

thanks!

hcvone
07-21-05, 03:51 PM
I have HID fogs, I did the conversion myself and it was not cheap, but the light output can not be beat

MISTERK
07-21-05, 04:01 PM
can you explain more on how you did this?...the only thing i heard of for hid fogs right now is getting piaa's. i belive they run for like 800-900 right now.

liftdlegend
07-21-05, 04:18 PM
I did a HID conversion too and it looks really good.
Now imagine that at night.

MISTERK
07-21-05, 04:21 PM
wow...did you use the same housing? how much did it run you? what brand? out put color and temp? thanks again

liftdlegend
07-21-05, 05:17 PM
Same housing
Hella ballasts
$400 with all materials (Bulbs and ballasts from ebay)
I used d2s bulbs but would recomend d2r bulbs to reduce the glare a little.
It's not that difficult just takes some time b/c of material drying time

I removed the fog lights and romoved the lens with a heat gun and screw driver.
Then I drilled a hole where the bulb was the same size as the base of the HID bulb, make sure it is not to big and when you place the bulb in it that you can attach the connector to the back of the bulb. PIC 1,2

The I glued the bulb in place with some 3M DURAMIX 4058 liquid plastic and let everything dry.

Then glued the lens back on with clear 100% silicon and let it dry for 24 hours and mounted the fogs back on the truck.PIC 3

As for the ballasts I used industrial strength loop to loop velcro(radioshack sells it part #64-2360) and mounted them on the trucks frame above the fog lights.PIC 4

I kept the original connector on for the fog light wiring harness by purchasing two 880 bulbs and removing the glass and soldering the ballast input wires directly to the (880)bulbs base.PIC 5,6

Then I just plugged the ballast in to the fog light harness, attached the output lead from the ballast to the HID bulb, and was good to go. PIC 7

Good luck,
If you want me to do it for you let me know and we can talk prices. lecustoms@aol.com

MISTERK
07-21-05, 05:33 PM
looks really good. very clean job. unfortunately, im all the way on the other side of the country, but thanks for the offer.

hcvone
07-21-05, 06:10 PM
I used Phillips ballasts and bulbs, and I would say it was about 480 dollars in parts, connectors and misc supplies plus I purchased two new fog lights (for putting back in when I sell or trade the truck in) , it was the time involved that would make it costly.

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/fog-lights.htm

liftdlegend
07-21-05, 07:00 PM
looks really good. very clean job. unfortunately, im all the way on the other side of the country, but thanks for the offer.

Send me the fog lights the bulbs and the ballasts plugs and I'll mod them and send them back to you so that it's plug and play.

benamaster
07-23-05, 04:07 AM
Is the 6500k a good match to the factory low beams?

liftdlegend
07-23-05, 11:38 AM
It's pretty close. It's tough to match the color exactly. I'll take a picture later tonight and post it.

Boombotz
07-23-05, 01:37 PM
Looks really good liftdlegend. :thumbsup:

liftdlegend
07-23-05, 09:21 PM
Thanks boombotz. Here are the pictures comparing it to the factory headlights.

benamaster
07-24-05, 07:01 PM
Those fog lights look amazing liftdlegend! I was wondering where you purchased the parts? I'm having trouble finding the D2S or D2R bulbs and am unsure which is the ballast to go with? Also I was wondering how far the bulb goes into the housing, is the new HID bulb longer than the stock? Thanks

hcvone
07-25-05, 08:41 AM
Is the 6500k a good match to the factory low beams?

The factory HID low beams are 4300K in color. :)

liftdlegend
07-26-05, 07:05 PM
Those fog lights look amazing liftdlegend! I was wondering where you purchased the parts? I'm having trouble finding the D2S or D2R bulbs and am unsure which is the ballast to go with? Also I was wondering how far the bulb goes into the housing, is the new HID bulb longer than the stock? Thanks

The HID bulb is longer and you do have to watch out with the shield in the fog light housing. As for which ballast to go with I went with the cheapest hella's I could find, but I here that phillips ballast are very good to. If I remember correctly I think the factory Escalade ballasts are also phillips. I purchased all the parts on ebay motors just do a search for "D2S" or "D2R" and you should get a bunch of bulbs and ballast to come up.