: Hyundai Sonata TRUMPS Accord and Camry...

Playdrv4me
07-20-05, 11:56 PM
Not by an edge, not over some dumb set of features, but just plain overall package. This is a MAJOR Feather in Hyundai's hat. I was expecting to fall in third place receiving praises for getting "better" but not quite being up to par. Instead it absolutely demolished the other two.

Ironically, all three are built right here! Its like EVERYTHINGS backwards!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=106434

Jesda
07-21-05, 01:35 AM
This should finally drive down the artificially high prices of Hondas and Toyotas. GM ought to be concerned as well, since the Malibu has a LONG LONG way to go before it meets the asian competition.

Chevrolet, being the value brand, should also be concerned about Hyundai taking its place in the market.

majax
07-21-05, 01:45 AM
How many times does it take to say "GM should get it's act together"

I am glad the Sonata is doing so well, it seems like a great car and from the commercials I hear they spent $1,000,000,000 in the U.S.

majax
07-21-05, 01:48 AM
I think the Sonata is the best looking of the bunch. It just seems like an all around attractive conservativly styled mid size sedan.

Ralph
07-21-05, 01:52 AM
I posted a carconnection link last year that showed Hyundai MATCHED Toyota for quality....

majax
07-21-05, 01:57 AM
Maybe GM should buy them out...;)

Ralph
07-21-05, 01:58 AM
Maybe GM should buy them out...;)

Pretty soon they will be buying GM out!!!!!

:suspense: :suspect:

majax
07-21-05, 02:16 AM
I got dibs on Cadillac!

What do you think it is worth? 2-3 billion?

Ralph
07-21-05, 02:24 AM
I got dibs on Cadillac!

What do you think it is worth? 2-3 billion?

That's not even a new door handle investment on a new STS! :p

majax
07-21-05, 02:30 AM
You are probably right Ralph!

700,000,000,000 - 750,000,000,000 may be closer...?

Wow why did I say 3 billion:confused:

Sandy
07-21-05, 06:41 AM
What makes you all so sure the new Malibu is a POS ??

Randy_W
07-21-05, 07:48 AM

It's not an Import, duh!! What were you thinking??:D

Playdrv4me
07-21-05, 10:25 AM
I believe Stoney's family had a Malibu Maxx that gave them tons of headaches and the car generally isnt up to par power-wise and fit and finish wise. I think the dealer finally gave them a new one. Correct me if Im wrong Stoney...

Also, I drove a regular Malibu from Houston to Wichita and while it had some nice touches like the radio with the Trip Computer built in, it generally had a buzzy feel to the engine and the seats really lacked support. The Impala is actually significantly better than the Malibu.

ben72227
07-21-05, 11:26 AM
Aren't they redesigning the Malibu for '06 though? And adding the SS edition? Hmmm. Well, I've known for sometime that Hyundai was going to catch up to the Big 3 of Asia, and it looks like they're doing it right now. It's good that GM IS bringing out new cars for this segment, like the NEW Malibu, and the G6. ANd Ford too, has the 500 and the Fusion.

Playdrv4me
07-21-05, 12:39 PM
Another thing that I think thats important about the rags recognizing Hyundai now is that you really cant say they have any kind of agenda against the Domestic auto makers. For the longest time Hyundai was so totally DOGGED by the american media publications it wasnt even funny. Comparisons were made to Hyundais like they were Yugo's or something, now WHAP! Hyundai just smacked the living shit out of all these quality, reliability and customer satisfaction ratings and the mags were left with their mouths hanging open. InsideLine is just an online publication, but the traditional mags are taking notice as well.

Randy_W
07-21-05, 03:55 PM
I'll wait for JD Power and Consumer reports, et al before deciding. I've found all too often, the best car as chosen by a magazine, tends to be the newest and the one with the most ad space in that mag!:thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
07-21-05, 07:15 PM
yup playdrive our 04 MAXX was a POS ...but our 2005 is the car we wanted the whole time ....it is the onyl car ever made that awnsered every one fo our needs for the past 6 years ....

we are funny people , we wanted a car with the handleing and ride of our old 93 T Bird combined with the utility of the Cavailer wagon we had a decade ago and the interioir features of our Mark III Conversion Silverado ....

we love it .....my only complaint is still the powertrain , i wwish it had the 3.2 CTS engine and a 5 speed auto ...with the nose from the 06 Maxx SS , then it would be perfect and i would even buy one ...

As for the hyundai , im very happy there kicking toyota and hondas ass , but at the same time i still long for a Chevy 4 door being the best selling car , like they were in 1964 with the impala ....

sadly , thats at least 5 years away if they can do the next one right .....the new Impala and the malibu arent going to cut it ...but i think the impala will continue to be the strong seller it always was since its FWD intro (the ammount of these they sell is amazing)

BeelzeBob
07-21-05, 07:20 PM
I've been saying it for years.. Hyundai is a serious competitor...

Jesda
07-21-05, 07:20 PM

Owner testimonials on this forum. Though I tend to place a significant portion of the blame on crappy dealers and GM's sometimes shoddy customer service.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-21-05, 07:29 PM
Owner testimonials on this forum. Though I tend to place a significant portion of the blame on crappy dealers and GM's sometimes shoddy customer service.
Jesda you hit it on the head ...ive been a mechanic for the last 10 years so when i say our 2004 malibu could have been fixed ,its true.... but an inept service center and a less then helpful staff at 2 dealers caused this car to be deemed a lemon and was bought back ....eating $24,575 into GMs total 2 billiob dollar loss ....thats a big area where i can see GM is hemmoraging

i was confronted 3 times in the end by GM techs and Staff that told me most of the problems and headaches were from the BCM or body controll module ...

powerglide
07-21-05, 07:53 PM
I think the Sonata is the best looking of the bunch.

From the outside maybe......I still think the interior isn't that great looking.

What a bargain though......if you don't consider the massive depreciation.
Often I think its 'effectively cheaper' to buy a new accord or camry compared to buying a used one....can't say the same for the Hyundais yet

Playdrv4me
07-21-05, 08:57 PM
I dunno... I always fight for the little guy or underdog... It made me kinda proud to see the little Hyundai holding its own against those established big dogs.