Previous Story

Print Story

E-mail Story

Next Story

Jul. 20, 2005. 04:21 PM
>ADVERTISEMENT<
300 arrested in worldwide lottery, email scam

ASSOCIATED PRESS

MADRID, Spain Spanish police today said they had arrested 310 people, mostly Nigerians, suspected of conning thousands of people around the world with a series of scams including a false lottery.

The arrests took place this week during 176 raids in seven towns along the southern coast, including Malaga and Marbella, a police statement said.

The group allegedly sent around six million letters annually to Europe, United States, Canada, Australia, Japan and the Arabian peninsula and in 2004 alone managed to con some 20,000 people.

The group's main scam was sending letters to people abroad telling them they had won prizes in the Spanish lottery but needed to forward a certain amount of money before they could collect their winnings.

Another scam involved the sending of e-mails from an alleged African dignitary who wanted to dissolve an inheritance of $20 million US, which required financial assistance from the recipients.

Police estimate the gang earned more than $120 million annually in the scams and moved it about through more than 400 bank accounts.

The wave of arrests, dubbed Operation Nilo, involved over 400 agents, including agents from the FBI and the U.S. Postal Service, according to the statement. Investigations began in 2003.

Kev
07-20-05, 09:31 PM
I think the same people are the ones who watch a show or movie on tv or in theatres and say, "Gee, is that what happened? Gosh, I didn't know that!" and think they are watching reality. Which brings me to the next point, they are the same people who believe reality tv really is reality! :histeric::histeric:

All to which I say, "What a buncha Maroons!" :cookoo:

:rofl:

Elvis
07-20-05, 09:49 PM
I wonder if 310 will even put a dent in it. I'm glad somebody's doing something about it. There's a guy in the UK who has played along with them and convinced them to actually send HIM money along with a polaroid and a copy of the current day's newspaper. He's busted a lot of them. I don't remember what his website was.

Kev
07-20-05, 10:02 PM
OK, my first post here was meant to be sarcastic and somewhat humorous.
The sad fact is for what ever reasons, there are and always will be folks who can be lured into these kind of scams. These are very old con games that have been revised and revamped to fit the times and the internet has exponentialy expanded the reach of the unscroupulous and they can do this from the comfort of their own homes.

I'm not suggesting by any means that these criminals should not be searched out and prosecuted, on the contrary, they deserve punishment. It's does seem a more daunting task for law enforcement in free societies with the somewhat annonimity or masking that internet criminals are capable of.

It's ironically funny that the more gadgets, gizmos and widgets we invent and market to make our lives easier and simpler the more complex life becomes. :hmm:

I dunno....

addison_ii
07-20-05, 11:59 PM
As our reliance on technology grows so will our vulnerability. I just received a fake ebay email telling me that my account had been suspended and to log in to my account by following the link in the email which looked like an official ebay link.

96CADDYDEVILLE
07-21-05, 12:20 PM
Another scam involved the sending of e-mails from an alleged African dignitary who wanted to dissolve an inheritance of $20 million US, which required financial assistance from the recipients.

i got that email last year and disregarded it, thats funny:rolleyes:

powerglide
07-21-05, 12:50 PM
I get it all the time.....I always think, they should at least use correct english and type it in a more reasonable way (some of the emails are all CAPS for pete's sake)

Always wondered what kinda morons fall for this crap but apparently there are over 20,000 brainiacs a year that actually send $
:-o