: Ticking noise at idle?

REDLINE_V
07-20-05, 05:43 PM
OK my caddy will be going in the shop next week and I am beginning a list of things for them to check. I have a noticeable ticking noise from seems like the right side of engine during a normal idle. Is this normal or should I bring this to their attention for some conceren?

Thanks in advance

ssmith100
07-20-05, 06:01 PM
Welcome to the world of the LSx motors. Mine ticks exactly the same. The LS6 along with the other LS motors out there all have a noisy valvetrain. Some are worse than others. One of the reasons Cady put on the engine cover.

Shane

keeksv
07-20-05, 06:16 PM
I think all the GM 5.7 engines I've owned have ticked like my V.

Just turn the radio up a little bit:D

ew

Florian
07-20-05, 07:10 PM
Its the hyd lifters, theyve gone limp overnight and need to be rejuvinated.....normal

F

RobzBLKV
07-20-05, 09:28 PM
If you avoid idling, you shouldn't have the problem. Try WOT instead. It's more fun. :)

Every GM V8 I have ever had ticked for as long as I can remember, back to the late 80s. I keep telling myself not to worry about it. The other noise that bothers me (that they all do) is the sloppy belt sounding noise. I want it to be all tough and mechanical and there is this swushing sound. Also present on every GM V8 I have had since . . .

willsctsv
07-20-05, 10:49 PM
You may also be hearing the fuel injectors tick.

Medicineman
07-21-05, 02:01 AM
very normal to tick...not to worry

sti convert
07-21-05, 02:46 PM
Would not expect it to be valvetrain with a hydraulic roller cam, hadn't thought of the injectors though.