: Firefox

lasstss
07-19-05, 10:16 PM
FYI..

I dont know about everyone on here but the Forum cranks with the Firefox Browser. It doesent handle pics well..(havent figured that out yet) BUT I went back to explorer to look at some pics and its a real turd! :disappoin

JOEYCTS-V
07-19-05, 10:34 PM
Even with Firefox, this forum is the slowest I've seen. All the pics and advertisement boxes must slow it down dramatically. It's the only thing I don't like about this forum. :rant2:

ctsvett
07-19-05, 10:38 PM
Sal is trying to get a new server, but it requries that everyone donate a few bucks.

Reed

JOEYCTS-V
07-19-05, 10:42 PM
There must be something else that can be done without changing servers. There's way too much loading going on everytime you click a link.

akm2k5
07-19-05, 10:51 PM
I dont seem to have a problem when I load up this forum.. Everything loads up quickly. I use Time Warner Cable modem and I can download at 600kbps (Maybe thats why it downloads fast?)

JOEYCTS-V
07-19-05, 11:00 PM
I have the same internet connection as you but notice this site is the slowest I visit; and I do a lot of web searching.

akm2k5
07-19-05, 11:10 PM
I just experienced a slow down when I tried to make a post.. It took a good 20 seconds for everything to appear on the "replay to thread" page..

I have the same internet connection as you but notice this site is the slowest I visit; and I do a lot of web searching.

BeelzeBob
07-19-05, 11:17 PM
Most of the ad images are cached on your own hard drive - so that's not the issue. The problem we're having is because of traffic. The dedicated server we're using right now can't handle the load - and it's a good server. But bandwidth, especially over the past couple of months, has gone through the roof. I posted in the site news area that the new server will be here within the next 5 business days or so.

I gave up using Internet Explorer with this site a year ago. Firefox loads this forum very well... With the new server, it shouldn't be an issue. It's a dual Xeon with 2 gigs of memory. More than twice as powerful as the server setup we're currently running. While most sites have the benefit of several years to build this type of traffic, it came early on with cadillacowners.com. We're not even 3 years old yet...

Just as a side note, our "who's online" only covers a few minutes. Other sites have that thing covering up to 24 hours. Some sites look very busy when they're not. Not saying this is the case with all forums. Most forums with heavy loads have heavy-duty servers. Like the one we're getting.. Also keep in mind that "who's online" only covers the forums. The rest of the site is just as busy...

LV_V
07-19-05, 11:20 PM
I can't wait for the new server and faster forum loading. I pay $100 a month for my cable modem and the last thing I enjoy doing is waiting for a page to load (has become a regular occurence on the forum lately).

Thanks Sal!!! :dance:

akm2k5
07-19-05, 11:31 PM
100 bucks a month? Damn!

DgtalPimp
07-19-05, 11:35 PM
I use FireFox and Cox cable (mostly) and this forum loads great.

Rikmyster
07-19-05, 11:44 PM
I use FoxFire and Comcast CAble. and it does great for me as well.

rodster111
07-19-05, 11:53 PM
I use Firefox and Adelphia cable ISP and find this forum to be pretty much like any other I've gone to, with the exception of slow load times for the "reply to thread" page completing. Most of the time it loads acceptably fast, but does slow down occasionally. Firefox certainly beats IE here though, by a long shot.

LV_V
07-20-05, 12:00 AM
I'd better give FireFox a shot then! I agree, IE just isn't pulling its weight around here.

AmesCTS-V
07-20-05, 12:29 AM
IE is fine here. It's just waiting on the server to send data. Sal will get the server worked out and all will be right:)

Vrocks
07-20-05, 12:32 AM
Firefox and Verizon DSL. The forum has been running very well for me. I didn't even notice a speed difference, but I'm probably not on the forum during peak times.

slow35th
07-20-05, 12:41 AM
FYI..

I dont know about everyone on here but the Forum cranks with the Firefox Browser. It doesent handle pics well..(havent figured that out yet) BUT I went back to explorer to look at some pics and its a real turd! :disappoin

What is the deal with pictures. If they are part of the thread Firefox won't load them. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Lanman
07-20-05, 07:37 AM
What is the deal with pictures. If they are part of the thread Firefox won't load them. Is there a setting that I am missing?

I'm using Firefox and I have the same problem with pictures that are part of the post. Most of the time they don't show up.

DgtalPimp
07-20-05, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't call it a problem, the ad's don't show up, all pictures posted show up.

lasstss
07-20-05, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't call it a problem, the ad's don't show up, all pictures posted show up.
Pics dont show up for me either. Must be some setting issue.

Mowgli
07-20-05, 11:17 AM
IE runs it just fine for me - both at work on a T1 and at home on a cablemodem.

I don't want to deal with some of the serious security issues the browsers based on mozilla have suffered lately, including Firefox, so I'm not going back to them. I can't see any performance difference between the two on machines with any decent amount of memory.