: Back Quarter Interior Pieces Breaking

cdog533
07-19-05, 12:30 AM
Last week my back driver's quarter interior piece broke... the bolt pulled right through the plastic mount.

Today, passenger side broke. I think its from driving with the windows down.

Anyone else seeing this?

heavymetals
07-19-05, 01:34 AM
Well if I drive with the sunroof open and without a rear window open the low frequency oscillation will pound you.:bonkers:

naiculnila
07-19-05, 08:01 AM
I just had mine in the shop for that and a few other things! Service guy said it was common on the CTS!

DansCTSV
07-19-05, 08:17 AM
Same thing happened to me. I haven't had it fixed yet. I think it is from driving fast with the windows down as well.

Redline CTS-V
07-19-05, 08:30 AM
I think it's more of a result of quality plastic then high speed driving... It is a fairly common problem... Both sides are broken on my V right now...

alcindus
07-19-05, 09:27 AM
mine Is broken also

Dave's V
07-19-05, 09:32 AM
My left one is broken also. Maybe Getrag made it also.

globed70
07-19-05, 09:34 AM
So as you sound cool to your service advisor, demonstrating appropriate V vernacular, they are called: "sail panels."

urbanski
07-19-05, 12:33 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/rearseatsounddead/index.html
i just replaced mine...you could let the dealer tear your car apart, or DIY :)

ssmith100
07-19-05, 02:02 PM
A simple fix for this is to buy a couple of metal washers and super glue them to the front of the piece of plastic. When I changed out my sub I noticed that both of mine (sail panels) where cracked and that's what I did. Never had another problem:D

Shane

07-19-05, 03:49 PM
A simple fix for this is to buy a couple of metal washers and super glue them to the front of the piece of plastic. When I changed out my sub I noticed that both of mine (sail panels) where cracked and that's what I did. Never had another problem:D

Shane

after one of mine broke, and I realized the amount of disassembly involved in replacing them due to the seat belt, I did the DIY with aluminum washers; took about 15 minutes. One down and one to go.

D

SADVISOR
05-31-06, 06:08 PM
I Work For A Cadillac Dealer In Ca. The Funny Thing Is The Only
Ones I Have Seen Broken Are On Vehicles With Tinted Glass, If These
Were A Common Failure I Certainly Would Love To Replace Them,
Cadillac Does Pay For Warranty Repairs And We Work On Commission, Trouble Is When We Send The Sail Panel Back To Gm
They Debit The Dealer Because They Are Obviously Not Defective,
I Frankly Never Heard Of Them Breaking By Driving With The Windows Down....

urbanski
05-31-06, 06:11 PM
have you ever seen that "tab" they are held on with?
a fly could break it
edit: GM hasn't audited my dealer for what, 8 panels now.

heavymetals
05-31-06, 06:25 PM
I cut up some pieces of a polycarbonate faceshield, scuffed them up real good and then glued (J&B weld) them as "doublers" (model airplane speak) to what was left to glue onto.

Another "intern" design from GM.

A good engineer would not subject a plastic part to the stresses that the sail panel is exposed to.

thebigjimsho
05-31-06, 06:32 PM
Cadillac Does Pay For Warranty Repairs And We Work On Commission, Trouble Is When We Send The Sail Panel Back To Gm
I Frankly Never Heard Of Them Breaking By Driving With The Windows Down....My eyes!!!!!!!!

Anyway, why tinted windows? How about anytime your back deck needs to be addressed? Like say for a bad XM module? Or your dealer installs your FG2 package for you? A lot of bad things can happen when you have a large piece of trim held together by plastic tabs...

JOEYCTS-V
05-31-06, 06:35 PM
Does anyone have any pics of their work? I was thinking on doing mine.

Flyboy
05-31-06, 07:37 PM
I think everyone's are breaking....mine did....replaced under warranty

ctsvett
05-31-06, 09:02 PM
I think they may be designed to break since there are airbags behind them...

mine broke too and they were "repaired" by the dealer.... wow.... I have heard of them breaking if the rear windows are down.

Reed

lasstss
05-31-06, 10:21 PM
I think they are light duty as they are supposed to blow out of the way if the side curtains pop?? Not positive. I epoxied mine some time ago.

ewill3rd
06-01-06, 06:08 AM
I posted on this topic in another thread.
It's not uncommon at all. It is warrantable and I haven't seen one fail with window tint. The tint doesn't matter. Some people think the window tinter affects the panel but that's a myth.

It should be covered under warranty unless there is just plain out evidence that someone broke them by fooling around with them... such as big hand prints or broken retainer clips.

Some of them are broken but held in place by the weatherstrip and pressure from the lower guide on the rear shelf. I can spot them in the rear view mirror when they are bad but I would confess I don't always go looking for them.

Texan V
06-01-06, 06:23 AM
I Frankly Never Heard Of Them Breaking By Driving With The Windows Down....

They are a pretty cheesey design to begin with...face it.

Since my V was tinted by the dealer, they had no choice but to replace the broken and water stained sail panels. They wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if they tried to fight that one. :want:

Vlightful
06-01-06, 01:05 PM
Had mine replaced a month ago under warranty-no tint. Dealer stated it is a common problem with CTS.

TampaV
06-01-06, 02:43 PM
I just discovered my driver side sail panel was broken, thanks to this thread. I took it to the dealer at lunch and they told me it is a common problem on the CTS and CTS-V. They showed me the retaining washer and the hole it is supposed to retain. The two are nearly the same size and the washer offers very little ability to hold the sail panel in place. The tech replaced the OEM washer with a washer about the size of a quarter. I asked if the airbag would still deploy properly in the event of a crash and was assured that it would function as it should.

GOTTSPD
06-01-06, 04:12 PM
It is kinda unsettling to think that the fix could cause the airbag not to work properly.......

DILLIGAF
06-01-06, 06:21 PM
My dealer refused to replace mine.He said I must have tried to pry it off,thats the only thing that could break one.Total BS,i've never touched one,nor have I removed the rear deck lid,and nobody sits back there.They will break from having the windows down.Retarted design.

ronr
06-01-06, 06:44 PM
Had mine replaced a month ago under warranty-no tint. Dealer stated it is a common problem with CTS.

Same here but mine were replaced last year. I was at the track and they required the windows to be down during runs. Hearing both panels "pop" from the wind at 150mph was pretty unsettling coming up on turn 1.

Holmes815
06-03-06, 01:19 AM
I recently picked up my 04 V on Wednesday with less than 8k miles on it and when I got it home noticed both sail panels hanging. I thought the previous owner was trying to remove something before he gave me the car but now I'm guessing that this problem is the problem and it's pretty common