: Mystery Antifreeze leak - any ideas?

GT04CTS-V
07-18-05, 08:17 PM
I was cleaning up the engine compartment of my V when I noticed the lower front splash panel (under the car) was wet. I put the car on the lift and removed the panel only to discover that it was antifreeze. Thinking that the dealer had spilled it, I cleaned it up and reinstalled. Drove the car for approx 15 miles, put it back on the lift and sure enough it was wet with antifreeze. I ran the car on the lift for about 15 minutes and was unable to see any signs of leakage. Cleaned and reinstalled the splash panel and took the car to the dealer. The Tech removed the spash panel (again soaked with antifreeze) and pressure tested the radiator and was unable to get it to leak, even with the car running. All the hoses look perfect, and no tell tale signs of a leak. So for now, the car remains at the dealer. The car has 3,000 miles on it.

Anybody have a similar problem, any ideas?????:confused:

Got to get it fixed so I can install the Maggie.

slow35th
07-18-05, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a water pump. Check the weep hole on the water pump.

Florian
07-18-05, 10:05 PM
there was some sort of Service Bulletin on radiators check the faq and look under TSBs for the exact one...

F

CVP33
07-18-05, 10:16 PM
Florian's right. There is a TSB on failing radiators. Somehow I remember a shorted wire causing this.

willsctsv
07-18-05, 10:18 PM
I had the same problem. The 1st dealer i went to did what yours did, and found nothing! Fools!
They told me bring it to the dealer where I purchased the car from because they did not vacuum the system.
Who's he think he's talking to? I was like WTF. I never heard of that and I changed more radiators than his whole crew! Vacuum the system! They did me a favor. They weren't smart enough to touch my V.
I went where I purchased it, and they found that the factory forgot to snap the clips in place. Apparently the side resorvoirs are held on by clips. Go Figure!
Hope that helps, they had me out in an hour.

benjet
07-18-05, 10:38 PM
I had several leaky (failed?) clamps, dealer found and replaced on the 1st try.

HDMLNIUM
07-18-05, 10:38 PM
I have also heard that the cross over pipe on the front of the intake is known to leak. That one would be easy to spot though..

Bill

GT04CTS-V
07-18-05, 10:59 PM
there was some sort of Service Bulletin on radiators check the faq and look under TSBs for the exact one...

F

F - Thanks, found the TSB #PIC3399 - Looks exactly like my symptoms - "Coolant leak at the radiator core to lower tank crimp on CTS-V. This condition may be a repeat concern"

I'll call the dealer tomorrow a.m. and tell them about the TSB. Hummmm - seems sorta bassackwards.

Thanks again.

Florian
07-18-05, 11:05 PM
Dont thank me, thank Reed and cadillacfaq.com and while youre there, send him a buck or two for his effort....

F

kimcheejeegae
07-18-05, 11:27 PM
wow... my coolant leak was from a temp sensor. but mine was a very slow leak.

GT04CTS-V
07-20-05, 10:00 PM
Took the fricken "V" to the dealer along with a printed copy of the TSB #3399. They pressurized the coolant system and were unable to find any leaks. In a desperate attempt at a fix, they replaced the clamp on the coolant hose going to the throttle body. Called me and said that the car was fixed. I asked if they wanted to bet $10 that it wasn't - no takers.

Drove the car home, removed the splash panel and sure enough it was soaked with coolant.

Took the car back to the dealer today and again gave them a copy of the TSB. I told them to replace the radiator.

The radiator will take 4-5 working days to arrive. Hopefully it will fix the problem. We'll see.

GT

:crying2:

Katndnvr
07-24-05, 12:39 PM
same problem here...I'm on my 4th new radiator and sick of it, still slow leak
at 15,000 miles
last time dealer said it was recall and this one should fix it
but......going in again tomorrow
and my bumper has warped too under headlamp

GT04CTS-V
07-24-05, 01:14 PM
Got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the radiator and the leak is gone. They told me that this is a new radiator design and shouldn't develop any leaks that the older designs were prone too.

On with the Maggie :coolgleam

GNSCOTT
07-24-05, 06:07 PM
Could it be an overfill of the overflow tank that is just leaking when it gets hot? I know my V's low antifreeze warning light went off when it was only a pint down. Seems that your low coolant light would be going off if you were below full. Seeing how you only have 3k miles and we are in the middle of summer and with record high temps in alot of places in the country, it could just be an overflow that was originally over filled.

urbanski
07-24-05, 06:51 PM
well, maybe the overflow does leak; however, my car also has the radiator leak down low driver's side as addressed in the TSB. I just have no desire to have a dealer tear it apart to replace it. Who cares...i add a pint maybe every 4 months.

GT04CTS-V
07-24-05, 10:24 PM
Could it be an overfill of the overflow tank that is just leaking when it gets hot? I know my V's low antifreeze warning light went off when it was only a pint down. Seems that your low coolant light would be going off if you were below full. Seeing how you only have 3k miles and we are in the middle of summer and with record high temps in alot of places in the country, it could just be an overflow that was originally over filled.

Not possible to be a overflow tank leaking. The coolant overflow tank is located at the left rear (drivers side) of the engine compartment. The leak was located at the bottom of the radiator. Overflow tank level was fine.

The new radiator solved the problem. BTW - I removed the radiator today so that I could drill and pin the harmonic balancer - In the process of installing the Maggie. Had to get the coolant problem solved before the Maggie was installed.