: Attempted Theft Update

NIK
07-18-05, 01:59 PM
About two weeks ago my "V" was broken into in broad daylight (11:30 AM) and in front of my place of employment. These guys had a lot of balls and knew what they were doing. My car, for various reasons, sits alone in a private parking area (prevents dings, etc.) However, this becomes a disadvantage as the car is very visible 8 hours a day on a well-traveled road. The PA State Police feel the car (and I) was being watched until it was time to strike.

As seen on my company's surveillance camera, a late model BMW pulled up parallel to my "V", blocking the car from view from the street. The driver stayed in the car while another culprit did his thing between the two cars. When they saw suspicious stares from two of my salespeople passing by, they made a U-turn back towards New Jersey. The whole procedure took 2 minutes! They removed the tumbler with some sort of tool, pushing it into the door frame. They then unlocked the door (there was now a hole where the tumbler once was) and proceeded to go through the interior of the car until they were scared off.

Here's the part that should be of concern - when they removed the tumbler and unlocked the door, they also disabled the alarm! This was verified by Cadillac officials who inspected the car before it was repaired. As the State Police stated, these guys knew exactly what they were doing.

Sorry this post is so long, but I just wanted to warn everybody to not rely too much on your alarm system. Believe me, the whole procedure took under two minutes to remove the tumbler and disable the system- I don't know what would have happened if they would have had a longer time inside my car.

ShadowLvr400
07-18-05, 02:17 PM
If they had more time, I bet you wouldn't have a car... $5 they had a chop shop nearby, could pull the motor for parts, and sell CTS parts all over.

slow35th
07-18-05, 02:23 PM
How did they disable the alarm? The 2005 V's alarms were never enabled from the factory. Is yours a 2004 0r 2005? If it is a 2005 did you ever take it in to have the alarm enabled? I'm just curious because if it is that easy to disable it does no good at all.

Lance

turbojimmy
07-18-05, 02:37 PM
They removed the tumbler with some sort of tool, pushing it into the door frame. They then unlocked the door (there was now a hole where the tumbler once was) and proceeded to go through the interior of the car

Same thing happened to my Ford Exploder. They punched the tumbler into the door somehow. Not sure if the factory alarm went off or not, but people tend to ignore them anyway. They took a laptop bag (no laptop in it) and some other random junk. The idiot who did it got caught later on with all of the junk he stole in the trunk of his car. I never went after him for the $500 door repair since he probably didn't have any money anyway.

They were probably stealing stuff out of cars. If they were going to steal it two minutes is plenty of time (it's an eternity, actually).

Jim

NIK
07-18-05, 04:34 PM
How did they disable the alarm? The 2005 V's alarms were never enabled from the factory. Is yours a 2004 0r 2005? If it is a 2005 did you ever take it in to have the alarm enabled? I'm just curious because if it is that easy to disable it does no good at all.

Lance

Believe it or not, I was the one who brought it to this forum's attention that the '05's were not activated - Yes, I have an '05 and had it activated at the dealer. It does, in fact, work as advertised. I was stunned when I found out how easy (if one knows what he's doing) can de-activate it while breaking into the car. I knew something wasn't right when I viewed the surveillance tape and the lights weren't flashing while the car was being broken into. That's the reason for this post - to alert you all to this fact.

NIK
07-18-05, 04:36 PM
Same thing happened to my Ford Exploder. They punched the tumbler into the door somehow. Not sure if the factory alarm went off or not, but people tend to ignore them anyway. They took a laptop bag (no laptop in it) and some other random junk. The idiot who did it got caught later on with all of the junk he stole in the trunk of his car. I never went after him for the $500 door repair since he probably didn't have any money anyway.

They were probably stealing stuff out of cars. If they were going to steal it two minutes is plenty of time (it's an eternity, actually).

Jim

Negative - all they took was my owner's manual .... radar detector, digital camera with telephoto lens, etc. all remained .... the State Police said they wanted the car. Apparently it's not that easy to "hot wire."

turbojimmy
07-18-05, 07:05 PM
Negative - all they took was my owner's manual .... radar detector, digital camera with telephoto lens, etc. all remained .... the State Police said they wanted the car. Apparently it's not that easy to "hot wire."

They were pretty stupid theives then. 2 minutes is an eternity, especially if you've been watching the target and you know in advance what you're going after. Sadly, if they really wanted it they'd have taken it. They were ill prepared - you were lucky!

Jim