: Motor Trend does not think much of the SRX

Larry05
07-18-05, 10:10 AM
Lastest copy of Motor Trend has an article on the Dodge Magnum, Volvo whatever they call it, Cadillac SRX and Subaru Tribeca.

SRX ranks last - behind the Subaru! receiving a rating of 1 out of 5.

Among the things listed as being wrong is the wide door sills - mentioned very early in the article - road noise, busy motor, high price.

Guess I'll just drive mine until the 4 year lease is over and dumpety dump.

caddydaddy
07-18-05, 10:27 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the article! I think the SRX was out of it's league being compared to those cheap wagons.

DG2
07-18-05, 01:43 PM
Don't be let down. Motor Trend and other car magaizines seem to have a memory problem. They may praise a car on one day and then rip in apart another. While I agree with the wide door sills the V6 engine in the SRX is a honey of a motor and one that gets raves in the CTS format.

Remember, Car & Driver rate the SRX as SUV of the year, Automobile magizine rates it as an " Allstar" and even consumer reports likes it!

greenstingray
07-18-05, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in what Motor Trend says; I think the SRX should be compared with the X5 and like vechices. Is that Volov truck made by Mazda; My brohter in law has one and it got very Asian feel to the car.

b4z
07-18-05, 06:56 PM
I thought they complained about engine roar not road noise.
The SRX is prety quiet. Except under hard accceleration.

I guess the fact that it had the most rear legroom, even more than the 120" wheelbase Dodge, meant nothing to them.

I really do wonder what the interior would look like if there was a parchment type finish on the dash and door panels.

dhs
07-18-05, 07:59 PM
I was suprised at the article too, especially since the 3.6 used in the cts got such good reviews. I don't know why theyre complaining about performance if the srx trails the volvo by only .1 sec in 0-60. The subaru is suprisingly slow in this test.

keeton
07-18-05, 10:32 PM
When you read the objective measurements the M/T did on the SRX, you found that in acceleration, it trailed the Volvo by scant .tenths and was significantly faster than the Dodge or Subie, the SRX was the shortest stopping vehicle and was competitive in the handling. I don't think there were any last place measurements.

However, they found it to be a "disappointment" because the engine growled on full throttle. I think there was a definite agenda on their part. I seriously doubt their credibility.

Remember, this was the magazine that gave the Renault Alliance their Car of The Year award :cookoo:

c5 rv
07-18-05, 10:44 PM
... Remember, this was the magazine that gave the Renault Alliance their Car of The Year award :cookoo:

And, according to a former editor, picked the Car of the Year based on the ad budget a manufacturer would sign up for.

Playdrv4me
07-19-05, 01:56 PM
I think there was a definite agenda on their part. I seriously doubt their credibility.

Ohh boy here we go again...

The only "asian" thing about the Volvo is its engine. The V8 is produced by Yamaha.

Wagoneer
07-19-05, 04:26 PM
I subscribe to a bunch of car magazines, and they all have a very strong tendency to rank the cars in approximate order of age. The only somewhat-common exception is when it comes to American makes versus imports, but here the SRX is on the wrong side of the equation too.

You can speculate on the magazines' agenda, but the bottom line is that I wouldn't get too upset about this result. It reflects the culture of the magazine as much as the vehicle.

b4z
07-19-05, 05:17 PM
Improvements were made to '05s to make the 3.6L quieter.

Our '04s are even louder.

DG2
07-19-05, 06:04 PM
I clearly remember early SRX reviews that raved about the V6 engine being so smooth and powerful that opting for the V8 may not be worth while. Also, the SRX competes with the likes of the BMW X5, M-B M Class, and Porsche Cayenne. How on earth did they lower the tier of competition to this level?

PS- I had owned a '04 CTS with the 3.6. That is one quite smooth and powerful engine. F&#@ Motor Trend! :sneaky:

Playdrv4me
07-19-05, 06:23 PM
Ill tell you what, from the rear end those Subaru Tribeca's are the ugliest damn thing on 4 wheels.

RTT
07-21-05, 07:37 PM
Ill tell you what, from the rear end those Subaru Tribeca's are the ugliest damn thing on 4 wheels.
Coming or going they are ugly.
How do you compare a Cadillac to a Subaru or even a Dodge. There is no way!:cookoo:

Jim_V
07-22-05, 07:46 AM
The Subaru grill looks like the snout of a pig!

miked
07-22-05, 05:37 PM
I would put the Caddy, tho, in the same league as the Volvo. In the Seattle area, I would venture to say that Caddy/Volvo/Saab/Acura are about equal, with Lexus/MB/BMW/Porsche a notch higher.

Playdrv4me
07-24-05, 05:55 AM
Coming or going they are ugly.
How do you compare a Cadillac to a Subaru or even a Dodge. There is no way!:cookoo:

I was thinking the same thing... although they did use SRXs as Taxi's in the new movie "The Island" :p

Redline
07-27-05, 01:50 AM
Motor Trend is a great mag, but the comparison is a) subjective as always; b) you have to question the comparison of those four vehicles. I highly doubt anyone looking at the Magnum wagon is cross-shopping the SRX. We couldn't be happier with the SRX V6 (2WD)'s performance, quality, utility & style. Now if I could only figure out a way to get a K&N to fit....

ben72227
07-27-05, 03:14 AM
Strange indeeed. Considering that Consumer Reports (quite possibly the most ANTI-AMERICAN car reviewer) actually had some nice things to say about the SRX:

This highly capable tall wagon uses the same platform as the CTS sedan and comes in either rear- or all-wheel drive. The SRX is powered by either a 3.6-liter V6 or a 4.6-liter V8, both of which are smooth and powerful. The five-speed automatic is very slick and has manual-shift capability. Like the CTS, the SRX feels taut and agile, and it rides comfortably. Fit and finish falls a bit short, and some controls can be confusing. A power-folding third-row seat is optional, pitting the SRX directly against the Acura MDX and Volvo XC90, which also offer seating for seven. First-year reliability is below average.

SRX1701
07-29-05, 11:32 PM
Dear Motor Trend,
Your bias is sad and your articles are worse. Your opinions are worthless until the day when your mag learns give a real opinion. The MDX acts like a truck, the Volvo falls apart and you think the SRX is below first year reliability. Your organization should talk to my neighbor who wishes his VOLVO was half as good. Oh yea the MDX is a great SUV buts its to stiff.

DG2
07-30-05, 08:45 AM
Actually, it was consumer reports who rated the SRX first year realibilty below average. CR did rave about the SRX though and if I recall correctly they rated it at the top of the luxury SUV segment.

I think the magiznes are very inconsistent as so many of them had enourmous praise for the SRX. We could not be happier with ours and boy is it good looking. This November will be 2 years with our SRX and the fact that I am still doing double takes in parking lot's says it all about the great styling of the SRX. No other car comes close in styling! :bouncy:

c5 rv
07-31-05, 08:56 AM
I got a chance to read the article yesterday in the dentist's office. I also thought it was an apples v. oranges type of comparison. It did seem to reflect MTs usual bias:

- European cars are great
- Japanese cars are good, but something is missing (they're not European)
- American cars try, but always come up short
- American luxury cars are cannon fodder.

The one thing I came away with is that I would rule out the other cars, if I was considering them, based on lack of power. Also, the article is another source claiming the wide SRX doorsills will be fixed in '06.

Jmale
08-01-05, 12:39 PM
Motor Trend is a great mag, but the comparison is a) subjective as always; b) you have to question the comparison of those four vehicles. I highly doubt anyone looking at the Magnum wagon is cross-shopping the SRX. We couldn't be happier with the SRX V6 (2WD)'s performance, quality, utility & style. Now if I could only figure out a way to get a K&N to fit....

I recently brought my SRX (v8,awd) in for the Rear wiper defect and had the opportunity to take a CTS-V home for a day.

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: OMG.....:worship: :worship: :worship: That is one FAN--frekin--TASTIC vehicle. It actually felt very similiar to my 97' C5 Vette. The brakes, the handling ,the power...Tried to pursuade the wife to trade in the SRX (which i love BTW). The problem is we have a family of six and well the CTS V wouldn't hold the whole family...:crying2:

I have to admit I power shifted that beast and OH MY...Save the wheel hop and getting used to 3rd gear shifts I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Kudos to you....owning both!!!

JAM

SRXSTEVE
08-07-05, 10:52 PM
Don't be let down. Motor Trend and other car magaizines seem to have a memory problem. They may praise a car on one day and then rip in apart another. While I agree with the wide door sills the V6 engine in the SRX is a honey of a motor and one that gets raves in the CTS format.

Remember, Car & Driver rate the SRX as SUV of the year, Automobile magizine rates it as an " Allstar" and even consumer reports likes it!

Consumer reports rated it a " best buy in class" along with the lexus, made me buy an 05, its been great so far...:bouncy:

gottawonder
08-09-05, 02:20 AM
Counting down...I pick mine up on Friday....can't wait.
GW