: A little help needed on clunking noise !!!!

REDLINE_V
07-17-05, 04:29 PM
Just got back from a serious joyride. Seemed to notice some clunking in first and second. I know there was a thread already made for this problem. Does anyone know or can tell me this thread location. I think this clunking is normal but it seems to be getting a little worst. Notice this clunking noise if I stay in first as I am crawling along forward then I tap the gas pedal and come back off of it ...same noise in second .....can't here it in any other gear. Any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance !!!!

ace996
07-17-05, 06:42 PM
Its normal...believe it or not...again, its normal. Its the weak diff-bushing making its famous clunk as you "parade" drive. I have it too.

homer403
07-17-05, 06:48 PM
I have it too :rant2: , like everyone else.

REDLINE_V
07-17-05, 07:07 PM
Is this weak diff-bushing weak because of wear and is worth replacing ? or new or old it won't matter ?

MCTS-V
07-17-05, 07:31 PM
I have this noise also and it is audible in any gear but mostly at slower speeds but it will occur at any speed up to highway speed. It drives me crazy and it does not always occur; today, for example it was absent yesterday it did it most of the day (mostly highway driving today). I am still going to take it in for a check to see if they can do ANYTHING to help as I hate the sound especially when others are in the car. What puzzles me is that for the first 300 miles the car never made a sound and then all of a sudden................ :hmm:

LV_V
07-17-05, 07:33 PM
I was thinking about using this car to take around clients for real estate, but forget that with this horrid clunk (for some reason it doesn't happen when I drive it like I stole it like usual). Good job Cadillac... not.

REDLINE_V
07-17-05, 07:47 PM
Well I'm happy........... well really not .........to hear I am not the only one with this sloppy clunk but LV_V your right this noise does not happen when I drive aggressively and beat on it. I am also a little embarrassed to drive with any passengers because after you pay this kind of cash on a car you would think you would not have to listen to all this clunking. I will approach my local caddy dealership and see if I can get them to replace this bushing(yeah right) and I will post hopefully any differences. Wow.... you think there would be an easy solution for this s*#t.

:tisk:

ace996
07-17-05, 09:24 PM
This is driveline lash, or an offshoot of it.
BMR has something for this....although, I hear it may transmit some gear whine.

The Kars StageIII antiwheelhop/subframe also has a fix.

07-17-05, 10:17 PM
if youd make your 1-2 shift above 2800 rpm or so you will not hear the clunk (or if you do then you probably have "unusual" bushing deterioration and it might need a replacement.

Lanman
07-17-05, 10:29 PM
When I took my car in for the airbag sensor recall I told them that the backlash in my car was getting louder and that sometimes it sounded like metal banging. I asked them to check it out while they had it and they ended up replacing a bushing. They had it for 2 1/2 because they had to drop the rear end to replace the bushing but it was definitely worth it. The backlash / clunking sound is almost completely gone. It's amazing how much difference a single bushing can make. It's actually better now than it was the day I bought it.

:thumbsup:

cts-v ls6
07-17-05, 11:35 PM
Lanman,
I may need the same bushing. Does your service ticket indicate the part number?

Thanks,

Jack

Lanman
07-18-05, 08:37 AM
Lanman,
I may need the same bushing. Does your service ticket indicate the part number?

Thanks,

Jack

I'll try to check later this afternoon and let you know.