: Found nail in the tire shoulder - 4,000 miles into lease

FrankRizzo
07-16-05, 09:22 PM
I found a nail in the right-rear runflat today. It's not repairable since it's on the shoulder... :mad: It doesn't leak as long as I leave it in there :) I'm 3 mo's and 4,000 miles into my 3 year lease.

I'm looking for some advice on the best option to get me through to the end of the lease:

As I understand it, the runflats don't last very long and I need to turn the car in at the end of the lease with the same tires with some tread.

I live in Chicago and will be driving this car during the winter, so I will need some snow tires before the year is out.

I'm considering just putting on some KDW2s and setting the runflats aside for turn-in time. Hopefully I can pick up a used on before then. I'd also get a set of used wheels for winter tires and to keep a spare on.

Does anyone have a runflat that they'd care to sell? any used wheels out there? All I see easily is the Mille Miglia at TireRack.

Regarding the KDW2: I've seen someone say that they wished they had bought a wider size than stock (245/45 18). What other size would fit on the V? 275/40 18 would be about the same diameter....

thanks,
Frank

crowan
07-16-05, 09:50 PM
Contact SBONES on this forum. He has runflats for sale as well as a couple of wheels. He has a post in the last few days regarding the items.

CR

benh
07-16-05, 10:23 PM
I plan to run my runcraps for about 5K then swap them out for GS-D3s and then put the runcraos back on just before turing it in. The lease materials say that the tires must have at least 1/8 inch at lowest spot . . .

Dreamin
07-16-05, 11:22 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and get a tire plug kit and fix the leak yourself. It will cost $5, and take 10 minutes.

And worry about changing tires when they are worn out.

The reason tire stores wont fix leaks on the shoulder is that a tire patch may not hold when 'bending' the patch around the shoulder... and the safety issue if you have a blow-out. There are no such safety issue with runflats.

This is exactly what i did... and drove another 6000 trouble-free miles on the plugged tire.

ace996
07-17-05, 01:29 AM
Plug it and pay attention to the tire pressure, to make sure its sealed.

FrankRizzo
07-17-05, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the tip - I'll try the plug.

SBONES
07-17-05, 11:40 AM
yo frank, do you got a brother steve in pa? anyway i got all 4 run flats for sale.