: Oil Filter Cap for SRX

theherks
07-16-05, 07:50 PM
I tried to change the oil in my SRX today. I had trouble removing the oil filter cap. It is on verrrry tight. Before I break something, can anyone tell me if the oil filter cap uses regular threads or if it uses reverse threads - if I'm going to crank on it, I want to make sure I'm cranking the correct direction. Also, in another thread, someone suggested using 15/16" socket. I was wondering if the socket was really SAE or if it was a similar sized metric socket.

Thanks in advance for the help.

john d
07-16-05, 08:31 PM
I encountered the same oil cap challenge. Try turning as always to twist off until it stops then................... lift it up. It has twisting stops that you don't want to break off the neck or the cap and it also has the lift up process requirement that I'd guess is there to keep the cap from falling off should it ever twist itself to the open position. Let me know if that works.

theherks
07-17-05, 05:25 PM
John D,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Based on your message it sounds like you might be talking about the oil cap and not the filter cap. Please confirm.

-thanks

john d
07-17-05, 07:27 PM
You're right. Should have had my glasses on when I read your post. I read "filler" not "filter". Haven't changed out my "filter" yet so I'm of no help, sorry.

John Caddy
07-20-05, 12:07 AM
As luck would have it, I changed the earl (oil) on the SRX tonight - would've gone great but the oil basin I bought from pep boys leaked about 3 quarts of dirty oil onto my floor - right on a spot where the floor paint had lifted up from hot tires wouldn't you know.

Got to go to Sears and buy a 15/16th socket and 13mm wrench so the endeavor had its side benefits - of course I also had to buy the 1" socket, 22mm and 24mm sockets (just in case) and a set of universal joints for my socket set!

I have been doing jiffy lube or the car dealer for about 12-15 years, it felt great to get back under the hood.

To answer your question... Standard thread direction on the filter cover - took a lot of oomph to loosen it and needed my longest extension with my new 15/16ths socket. The oil drain plug is 13mm and was also on super tight.

Was unimpressed with the mobil one bottles, the opening is too big to do the quick snapover and let it drain, unfortunately a funnel is required.