: Fram AirHog listed for SRX does not fit

radioman
07-16-05, 05:47 PM
In search of a K&N filter for my 2005 SRX with Northstar V8, Fram calls out their AirHog filter (essentially a K&N knock-off) # PPA7597. I ordered one, and it does not even remotely fit. Some commentary is on this forum that says that if you remove the white filter media in the air housing, the Fram
fits-----definitely not so. For one thing, the filter area is trapezoidal in shape; the Fram is rectangular.
Bummer---this means still no performance filter for the car.

Radioman :(

greenstingray
07-16-05, 05:50 PM
I have an 04 SRX v6 I am having the same problem finding a performance air filter. You would think someone would be making one by now

Ralph
07-16-05, 05:54 PM
Your right! I checked the K&N website and there is nothing for either engine size. Give them some time though. You can email them and ask them.

I checked for the Deville (assuming you have the 4.6?) because sometimes the application chart will show if the same one will fit, but no cigar....

http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2063-1

That's basically how I got one for my Fleetwood, as they don't make one for it, but the 4.9L housing was the same from the Seville, so it fits, etc...

You could ask them if this part number would fit your box.....

33-2063-1

radioman
07-16-05, 06:02 PM
The real issue is the goofball air housing; its the weirdest I have yet seen in 40 years of cars. Filter media is in a baffle placed in the middle of a clamshell housing; the housing is semi-trapezoidial and the baffle with media is a trapezoid. The white paper media is likewise---and too boot its very small area---really choking the air flow. Strangest setup. If K&N or Fram goes to make one, they will have to make the baffle as well---no surprize they have not----and after looking at it, do not think they every will. The only real solution is to get rid of the whole air box for something else.

radiioman

john d
07-16-05, 06:07 PM
I think it may have been on this forum earlier this year, or last year, where an owner tore out the paper filter media from the SRX air filter frame and bought a K&N fits-all element. Tore up the K&N and used silicone caulk or something like silicone caulk to fit in the salvaged SRX filter frame. I don't know what a factory SRX air filter costs from the dealer but I've seen $60+price tags on K&N air filters. Could burn a hundred dollar bill if the custom modification fails and one needs to buy a new SRX factory filter. There's a Cadillac tech bulliten that addresses a foam filters (like K&N) excess oil contaminating the air duct sensors that causes performanc problems for which the warranty won't apply.

I still am wondering that since the SRX engine control computer (ECM) limits HP and torque that any performance enhancement hardware (K&N, super/turbo chargers, nitrous, etc) would be dollars and effort wasted. The ECM is an electronic governor. Would seem that when the engine output hit's the HP/torque limit wall that's all you get and no more. Does anyone know how to mod those settings? And if you did would that void the warranty for the entire drive train. Hasn't the CTS-V been chewing up the ring gear teeth?
Check out the this Formum's "0-60 V8 awd" thread for what Cadillac is doing to the SRX performance.

Package
07-18-05, 03:46 PM
I ran into the same problem that is why I bought the Volant intake for my SRX V8. :coolgleam If some company ever produces a hand held tuner for the SRX like the one I use on my Z06 (Predator) I will snag it in a minute.....:yup:

john d
07-18-05, 05:40 PM
I ran into the same problem that is why I bought the Volant intake for my SRX V8. :coolgleam If some company ever produces a hand held tuner for the SRX like the one I use on my Z06 (Predator) I will snag it in a minute.....:yup:

ME TOO ! ! ! !