: tires for 99 STS??

1fastSTS
07-16-05, 04:13 PM
I was looking for goodyear eagle GA...but apparently they are discontinued, i was so pissed b.c they were awesome tires!!! hook up great, good handling etc... so whats good for my 99 STS with the 16inch rims now.

i currently have worn 235-60-16 Eagle GA's....was wondering if anyone knows of a wider tire out there thats good...i have trouble finding any , i dont think they make any. a number like 245-55-16?? anyone know?

if not i guess im stuck with the same 235-60-16..whats a excellent hooking up tire then.

also will a stock CAT from my 99 work be a fine replacement for my dads 95 STS's old CAT for a replacement?

thanks

danbuc
07-16-05, 04:24 PM
Being that the '95 i OBDI and your car is OBDII, the cat probably will not work the same.

Our rims size seems to be rather rare, making it kind of difficult to find certain kinds of tires. When I was shopping for tires last year, I looked at a bunch of different makes from Michelin to Goodyear, and everything inbetween. I ended up going with a set of Toyo Proxes TPT's. I couldn't be happier with these tires. The handle really well, and look pretty damn cool too. I've put about 15k miles on these tires, and have barely lost any tread, which was suprised considering the way I drive the car...hehe. You might be able to get away with something like a 245/55/16 as long as the overall diameter isn't much different from stock. I think TireRack may have a thing on their site that will calculate the difference between different tires, or maybe it was another site. I think I might have the link somewhere, but I'll need to look for it.

Here we go, this is the link I was refering to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It looks like 255/55/16 is the closest to the stock tire size, without getting too crazy. Dimater, radius, and sidewall are different by only about 0.1" The MPH is only off by abotu 0.1 as well.

1fastSTS
07-16-05, 05:26 PM
thanx for your help dan. ill check em out.

caddydaddy
07-16-05, 10:15 PM
I'm putting 255/50/17s on my 2000 STS using the 17 inch DTS wheels. That's a hard size to find car tires in as well! Most places have a lot of listings for sport truck tires in that size.