: Blue devil and Norhtstar:

dkells
02-18-14, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to the forum so it might take a sec to get use to. Lol I have a situation that some one may be able to help. Ok here goes: I used blue devil pour and go on a 1998 cadillac sts by pouring it in through the overflow tank. But when I let the car run for the 50 minutes, it never made it cause itNover heated so I had to shut it off. Then I drained more anti freeze out through the thermostat housing hose. After letting it cool down I capped it off with coolant and started the process again. still the car over heated on me after 15-20. Now it was said that I didn't have take the thermostat out or drain the system, so I'm stuck and need some help on my next move. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help. :confused:

cadillac kevin
02-18-14, 11:46 AM
Stop leak in a can is not going to fix your northstar. Period.

vincentm
02-18-14, 11:49 AM
Do the car a favor now and just send it off to the scrap yard, clearly you dont deserve a Northstar engine. Drain the coolant, as much as you can, refill it, without anything else just 50/50 Dex Fire it up, top off as necessary, then perform a block test.

Provided you havent screwed your engine, purge line and heater core already by using that crap.

Ranger
02-18-14, 11:54 AM
NO repair-in-a-bottle will fix a HG on a Northstar. The problem is that the threads have pulled. There is only one way to fix it and it does not come in a bottle and will probably cost more than the car is worth.

dkells
02-18-14, 12:22 PM
Hey thanks for all the advice, I'm gonna drain and refill and take it from there. The car never smokes or got a mixture of oil coolant, so a block test is next on the list. The Temperature would go pass half to middle of red and half then back to half. This would go on till it stayed on half or quarter past. And then I would get the anti freeze backing out of the overflow tank, sometimes no problem. With that happening I was told by mechanics that that's the signs of early head gasket failure. Thhx again to all.

Submariner409
02-18-14, 12:31 PM
Let's move this engine-specific question to the Northstar forum - and you can read the several sticky threads at the top of that forum on how to diagnose head gasket, cooling system, fan, and gauge operation problems.

You should have diagnosed and repaired cooling system problems first, not poured in some magic potion. Look for threads on "purge line" and on how to repair the water pump drive belt system.

The cylinder block exhaust gas test - rent the kit from a large parts store. Follow the instructions. make sure the coolant in the surge tank is at the proper level - halfway full, cold. If you get ANY coolant into the test cylinder or fluid you must wash it all clean and start over - you're not testing coolant - you're testing the airspace OVER the coolant. Northstars do not normally mix oil/coolant in the event of a failing head gasket. Check the surge tank cap for proper operation.

Ranger
02-18-14, 04:14 PM
The car never smokes or got a mixture of oil coolant, so a block test is next on the list.
Don't bother looking for coolant in the oil. Northstars don't do that and you won't start seeing steam from the pipes until the HG is bad enough that you won't be questioning if the HG is the problem. A block test will tell the story. Run it after an overheat episode and do not top off the coolant before hand.

basscatt
02-18-14, 05:12 PM
Hey thanks for all the advice, I'm gonna drain and refill and take it from there. The car never smokes or got a mixture of oil coolant, so a block test is next on the list. The Temperature would go pass half to middle of red and half then back to half. This would go on till it stayed on half or quarter past. And then I would get the anti freeze backing out of the overflow tank, sometimes no problem. With that happening I was told by mechanics that that's the signs of early head gasket failure. Thhx again to all.
-----------------------
check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

04GrandAmGT
02-19-14, 04:43 PM

Everyone Deserves a Northstar they are a master piece provided they are properly repaired. if you have any questions about your Northstar please feel free to email , info@northstarperformance.com, or call 1-888-800-8470 and i (Evrett) will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have aswell assist you in getting your car on the road at a reasonable price with supreme durability.

jp3dunk
03-01-14, 03:09 AM
As for the threads pulling,is it possible to check for this by a compression check?I have a 99 sts Seville which never over heats but it is showing signs of head gasket failure.Lost of coolant, No loss of compression, but I did a block test color went from blue to green to yellowish green in about 20 minutes after the thermostat opened.

MoistCabbage
03-01-14, 03:12 AM
There is no way to tell what condition the threads are in without removing the head bolts.

A compression test is not the best test to confirm HG failure, a block test is.

Your engine failed the block test. ANY change I'm color is a positive result.

BTW, :welcome: ...Sorry your first reply couldn't be better news.

Ranger
03-01-14, 11:02 AM
:yeah: No need to check any further. You have a HG failure. Regardless of whether the threads have pulled or not, they will have to be inserted or studded after the heads are pulled.

jp3dunk
03-02-14, 03:35 AM
So sad to hear,121,000 miles Was in line to get the state of NJ. inspection when it started the white exhaust smoking.I loved the car for it looks, power and handling . Ten years ago I would not have any problem doing the stud kit on a Northstar. But now being on disability from MS.