: Best oil for Northstar engines?

cadillac6
11-09-03, 12:45 AM
I just recently purchased my newly acquired baby. I was wondering what is the BEST oil to put in. I am due for an oil change and want to know what is the best? I have heard certain oils are bad for the Northstar? please fill me in thanks :confused:

smc51
11-11-03, 10:31 PM
I bought my caddy from my brother and have since changed the oil to mobil 1.....ran it in all my hot rod engines before and a noticeable difference in the caddy cold start up.......136000 on the cad bullit...a believer.

foo
11-13-03, 08:32 PM
Redline oil is the best in my opinion.. Of course it's expensive as hell. $8/qt but it's the best.. I use it in my caddy 10W-30.. Or i would try the royal purple next it's a little cheaper and then mobile 1 below that it's in a good price range.. It all depends on the $ you have.. You can call up redline and ask them why their oil is better :) or check out http://www.redlineoil.com/whyredline.htm It also gives you a little more horsepower to use good synthetic oil , i think maybe 5-10HP can be gained by using it on the 300HP 4.6L. I use redline d4 atf also.

Jesda
11-13-03, 10:33 PM
Mobil 1 10W30 will probably be your best all around choice. Wal-Mart does a damn good job doing oil changes on my Q45, and cheap too.

elwesso
11-14-03, 04:34 PM
Remeber guys..... TYPE OF OIL IS MUCH LESS IMPORTANT THAT FREQUENCY OF CHANGING...... Personally, I like synthetic (im a valvoline fan, IMO equal to M1 and a wee cheaper).... Its just overall cleaner than dino...... I know everyone has a pro and con about it, but I like syn....

Also, when using synthetic, use a thicker grade than if you were using dino!

Cyberdan3
11-15-03, 12:37 AM
Remeber guys..... TYPE OF OIL IS MUCH LESS IMPORTANT THAT FREQUENCY OF CHANGING...... Personally, I like synthetic (im a valvoline fan, IMO equal to M1 and a wee cheaper).... Its just overall cleaner than dino...... I know everyone has a pro and con about it, but I like syn....

Also, when using synthetic, use a thicker grade than if you were using dino!

Im doing an oil change tomorrow before winter in my caddy. my dad buys quaker state 10W-30, but i dont know how much of a difference 5W-30 would make during cold starting. Anyone swiitch oils in different seasons, and is there a big difference??

zonie77
11-15-03, 12:50 AM
There is a difference between the grades. You don't say where you are. If it's going to get down to 0 go with the 5w-20.
Most cars suffer a lot more damage from cold starts with a thick oil than from anything else. There is a lot of info on the net about oils but the basics are buy good oil, change it reasonably often, and use the lightest possible.

cadillac6
11-15-03, 06:00 PM
I just changed my oil the other day and bought some quaker state synthetic 10w-30 the kind for high horsepowered engines since im running 300hp.

Aurora5000
11-17-03, 10:40 AM
1. Synthetics reduce wear of an engine.
2. A drop in engine operating temperatures.
3. Exceptional viscosity flow.
4. Better circulation and cooling in an engine.
5. Film strength over 2,000 psi.
6. Thermal Stability at high temperatures.
7. A cleaner engine.

I think it is one of the greatest engineering
developments of the century.