: Onstar ringing??

pjensen
07-15-05, 04:41 PM
Anyone have any idea why while driving all of a sudden the radio mutes and I hear the onstar ringing as if I was calling someone, then after about 5 rings it stops and the radio comes back up. This has happened 3 different times over a couple weeks, My hands were not near any of the buttons. BTW, I have a 2003 Escalade I just bought.

fast66
07-15-05, 05:54 PM
Anyone have any idea why while driving all of a sudden the radio mutes and I hear the onstar ringing as if I was calling someone, then after about 5 rings it stops and the radio comes back up. This has happened 3 different times over a couple weeks, My hands were not near any of the buttons. BTW, I have a 2003 Escalade I just bought.

SOmeone is callign your cell phone in the car. Next time pick it up and tell them wrong number.

T-Dizzy
07-15-05, 08:05 PM
SOmeone is callign your cell phone in the car. Next time pick it up and tell them wrong number.

Yeah, OnStar actually gives your Escalade a phone number, so you can dial out (expensively) using voice-dialing via OnStar, as well as receive incoming calls. A nifty thing to show off with, if you don't mind paying 0.29/minute!

Someone must be dialing your number by accident. Shank the number by calling someone else and checking the caller ID.

- T

JASP
07-16-05, 09:21 AM
Geee I hope you didn't buy an 03 Green Escalade because if you did they are looking for me...LOL...no really when you buy a used truck the phone number stays with the truck for what ever reason. You can't take the number with you. Like when I traded in my 03 for the 05 I couldn't take my phone number with me. I had to get a totally new number so all the people that had my old number I had to call. This didn't make any sense since you can port your number now to any carrier you want. It must have something to do with the vin number and the phone number. P.s. I just bought 100 minutes for 19.99 for me it's good to have this option. You also can with the 05 link your verizon cell phone to use those minutes.....Sami

fast66
07-16-05, 10:38 AM
you can change the phone number if you are the new owner and if you moved.

JASP
07-16-05, 05:37 PM
I called onstar and spoke to the dealer about this, the number goes with the truck you can not keep that number and apply it to the new truck. For whatever reason (I think it has something to do with the vin number) you can't port the truck number to the new truck. I wanted to keep my phone number from my 03 and apply it to my 05 but both said no. I'm not sure how the verizon american's choice works with the truck all I know is you can share minutes with your cell and truck but I beleive you have to have different numbers it's just linked to the same account.....Sami

Rolex
07-16-05, 08:32 PM
Big brother is just calling to say hello and let you know they're watching you. :p

pjensen
07-17-05, 08:35 PM
Sorry, I must not of made myself clear. The ringing noise is the noise when you call out, not a receive ring. Imagine dialing any number and it begins to ring. This is the noise I am speaking of. I have had onstar with dialing minutes in my hummer for almost two years and have never had this happen. I think there may be a short in the steering wheel??

Boombotz
07-17-05, 08:59 PM
Sorry, I must not of made myself clear. The ringing noise is the noise when you call out, not a receive ring. Imagine dialing any number and it begins to ring. This is the noise I am speaking of. I have had onstar with dialing minutes in my hummer for almost two years and have never had this happen. I think there may be a short in the steering wheel??

Thats the noise I hear when someone is calling me in my Lade.

turbojimmy
07-18-05, 05:22 AM

That's the noise - it's the same whether you're calling out or receiving a call.

As far as number portability goes, it doesn't make any sense that you can't take it with you. It's not hard-coded to the car in any way. It's just cellular phone service - the provider (Verizon in this neck of the woods) can assign it to any ESN/STID they want. The OnStar system is simply programmed just like when you buy a new cell phone and move your old number to the new one. What if the car is sold to someone in a different state? Is the new owner stuck with a phone number from another state. No, they change it. The Onstar hardware in my car is from a wreck in Kansas. I'm in NJ. OnStar reprogrammed it over the phone with a local number in about 3 minutes (okay, about 15-minutes because the previous owner didn't cancel his account when he totaled his car).

The America's Choice plan allows you to add a 'number' to your plan for $9.99 a month and share your total minutes with that number. That number can be associated with a cell phone or your Onstar.

Jim

hcvone
07-18-05, 07:30 AM
I have had the same OnStar phone number in my last 2 trucks, I told them that I would not renew my service without keeping my same phone number

JASP
07-18-05, 08:15 AM
Well now I'm pissed. I was told by 3 different people that there was no way to do this I had to take the number that was assigned to the truck. I have verizon and I also have verizon cell phones. I knew about the American choice plan but I opt to just buy the 100 minutes for 19.99 for a year. Most of the time I have my cell with me but it give people a way to get intouch with me when I leave the phone at home for what ever reason. I know it took a couple of day to transfer my minutes over to my new truck from my older one.....Sami

hcvone
07-18-05, 09:26 AM
I was told that too, at first, then when I pressed them and ask them "what if I sold my truck to someone in the south" , I asked them would they give some one a Pennsylvania area code living in Florida, of course they said no, so of course my question was why can't they give me my same phone number, then I was told it may take a week or two to process, I said that is fine, it took them about 5 hours. Each car/truck has a ID number, it's NOT the phone number, they can do it, but do not want to. :(