: Another heads/cam question for DTE (and others)

2005V
07-14-05, 10:18 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread with this but was hoping you could expand on the heads/cam for vehicles with MagnaChargers that you touched on briefly there.

I am interested in a head/cam upgrade for a car that already has a maggie, LPE intake, headers, and exhaust. I have a few questions that, rather than e-mailing you privately, I thought that you might be able to answer here so that others w/ maggies considering this route could benefit from your answers.
First, what cam/head combo would you use for this set-up?

Second, I am interested in strengthening all of the internals while I am/you are in there to make the motor as "bullet-proof" as possible. What internal upgrades would you chose w/o regard to budget that would best accomplish this?

Finally, I am looking for power, relability and good overall driveability. With the HP/TQ numbers in my signature in mind, where do you think I can reasonably expect them to be after heads/cam?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Nick

PneuBird
07-15-05, 02:45 AM
Hey Nick....Who Jet Hot coated your Stainless Works headers? Sorry about the threadjack!!! :confused:

verbs
07-15-05, 05:41 AM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread with this but was hoping you could expand on the heads/cam for vehicles with MagnaChargers that you touched on briefly there.

I am interested in a head/cam upgrade for a car that already has a maggie, LPE intake, headers, and exhaust. I have a few questions that, rather than e-mailing you privately, I thought that you might be able to answer here so that others w/ maggies considering this route could benefit from your answers.
First, what cam/head combo would you use for this set-up?

Second, I am interested in strengthening all of the internals while I am/you are in there to make the motor as "bullet-proof" as possible. What internal upgrades would you chose w/o regard to budget that would best accomplish this?

Finally, I am looking for power, relability and good overall driveability. With the HP/TQ numbers in my signature in mind, where do you think I can reasonably expect them to be after heads/cam?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Nickin your boat I'd buy a large chambered set of heads to drop your compression a bit, making it safer for your motor to run boost.....like AFR 225s. I'd then contact a custom cam builder like Ed Curtis of Flowtech Inductions and have him build a cam specifically to match your heads and steup. He'll be able to maximize your setup a lot better than 99% of the shops out there, as he pretty much designs cams for a living, and has been doing it for decades.

2005V
07-15-05, 11:47 AM
Hey Nick....Who Jet Hot coated your Stainless Works headers? Sorry about the threadjack!!! :confused:

No worries. I had them sent directly to Jet Hot. The turn around was about 10 days. $300.

Nick

2004ctsv
07-15-05, 11:48 AM
Nick

Thanks for blazing the trail for us.
I'll see Strope in 2 weeks about the SW headers.
Maggie next year. woo-hoo

Tony

2005V
07-15-05, 11:55 AM
Nick

Thanks for blazing the trail for us.
I'll see Strope in 2 weeks about the SW headers.
Maggie next year. woo-hoo

Tony

You'll never look back (except to see most cars in your rearview)! In the interest of full disclosure and to give credit where credit is due, the members of this forum and Reed's Cadillac FAQ influenced my planned mods even before I picked my V up from the dealership. We are blessed with a very informed group here. I hope to see you in Columbus for the October meet.

Nick

jlakowicz
07-15-05, 07:32 PM
More Performance put their cam in my Maggie V. I could not be happier, perfect amount of rumble, globs of low speed torque. The car is featured on the MP web site as belonging to Joe and Mary Lakowicz.

lawfive
07-16-05, 04:46 AM
Goddammit, Nick, no more power mods for you! I'm warning you right now, I'm going for the NOS!!!

Phil: I'll pay you a reasonable stipend not to work on Nick's car.

Note to self: gotta get a post-LPE CAI dyno to mod the signature numbers...

thebigjimsho
07-16-05, 03:20 PM
More Performance put their cam in my Maggie V. I could not be happier, perfect amount of rumble, globs of low speed torque. The car is featured on the MP web site as belonging to Joe and Mary Lakowicz.Hey! How's Mary doing BTW???:welcome:

2005V
07-26-05, 01:10 AM
***BUMP***

Still waiting for DTE to weigh in on this question.

As to...

Goddammit, Nick, no more power mods for you! I'm warning you right now, I'm going for the NOS!!!

Phil: I'll pay you a reasonable stipend not to work on Nick's car.

...I received my 2.5" custom made ultra grip pulley from Reichard Racing today. It is a thing of beauty and weighs so much less than the stock unit or my current aftermarket one. My hp/tq numbers are from a car barely making 6lbs w/ a 2.75" pulley. I'm hoping for 7-7.5lbs and a membership to the "500 Club" in the next few days. I'll post when I get it installed and re-tuned. Better get crackin' Law! :)

Nick

lawfive
07-26-05, 03:05 PM
***BUMP***

Still waiting for DTE to weigh in on this question.

As to...

...I received my 2.5" custom made ultra grip pulley from Reichard Racing today. It is a thing of beauty and weighs so much less than the stock unit or my current aftermarket one. My hp/tq numbers are from a car barely making 6lbs w/ a 2.75" pulley. I'm hoping for 7-7.5lbs and a membership to the "500 Club" in the next few days. I'll post when I get it installed and re-tuned. Better get crackin' Law! :)

Nick

Whoa, Seabiscuit. All kidding & competition aside, I strongly recommend that you be really F'in careful about increasing the boost too far on this engine before you lower the compression. Magnuson had it up around 8 during R&D, but not for any extended period of time before they backed it down. The 500 club would be fun, but not if engine fall down, go boom.

Just MHO.

2005V
07-26-05, 08:01 PM
Whoa, Seabiscuit. All kidding & competition aside, I strongly recommend that you be really F'in careful about increasing the boost too far on this engine before you lower the compression. Magnuson had it up around 8 during R&D, but not for any extended period of time before they backed it down. The 500 club would be fun, but not if engine fall down, go boom. Just MHO.

I don't disagree but remember that due to my particular set-up I am only just barely hitting 6lbs of boost. I think that even w/ this change, I am likely to net just slightly above 7lbs. which is perfectly safe and very close to what the maggie "should" be delivering (+/- 6.5lbs). My understanding was that they ran into heat issues at 8lbs.

Nick

lawfive
07-31-05, 11:45 AM
.My understanding was that they ran into heat issues at 8lbs.

Nick

Yeah, that's what I heard from that little birdie...