: Road Tripping

ahahnu
07-14-05, 05:01 PM
Saturday morning I will be taking a short excursion from New Jersey to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. If anyone wants to meet up along the way, I should be passing the Washington DC area by 8 if all is on time. Can't wait to see what she can be capable of during a longer run.

globed70
07-14-05, 05:12 PM
Not sure where you are in NJ, but a more pleasurable route would be taking 78 (or another highway):

-out to PA and jumping on 81, which takes you down through MD and VA
-onto 77 which gets you into NC
-then over to 26 which takes you through SC
-then onto 95 for the ride into Hilton Head

I'm guessing that this will add 75 miles to your trip, however you won't be dealing with ugly 95 and it's congestion, and the ride through VA is beautiful. You could also detour onto the Blue Ridge Parkway from 81 which is great. A much better trip for you and your V.

Also, don't be stubborn like me... pull over for gas when you're showing 1/4 full. It goes too fast after that...

Make sure to have you radar on the whole way...

crowan
07-14-05, 05:39 PM
There is another reason to avoid the I-95 and I-495 intersection this weekend. Starting 8PM Friday until 5AM Monday (barring heavy rain), the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (connecting MD and VA on 495) will be under go major repairs with multiple lane closures that are expected to back traffic up for 15 miles with the worst mess at the I-95 intersection with 495. It could be a traffic disaster.

Take the scenic route and save time as well.

CR

ahahnu
07-15-05, 02:26 PM
Thank you both for your advice on ways to go. I am going early enough where I think there won't be much traffic. What about jus staying on 95, why even go onto 495?

LtStealth
07-15-05, 05:20 PM
95 merges with 495 north of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and then splits off south of DC. If you stay on 95 you WILL be stuck in traffic due to lane closings (4 to 5 lanes choked to 1 in both directions). you'll be better off going around the west side of DC on 495 (Outer Loop) and picking up 95 south of DC.

crowan
07-15-05, 05:44 PM
If you go to www.washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com) they have a story about the closure and a map that may be helpful in planning your route. Good luck!

CR

ahahnu
07-15-05, 10:06 PM
thanks I thought you meant 495 was gonna be messed up, that was the way I was gonna go. Thank you again. Hopefully see ya out there!