: Stalling issue - slow speeds - 1998 ETC

pose_sts
02-14-14, 05:29 PM
Hi there.

I had the infamous "Stalling at Stoplight" issue. I cleaned the Throttle Body last Summer, fixed it for a while. Started again recently, so I changed EGR valve yesterday since it was causing a vacuum leak. That helped.

Now every once in a while the car just stalls for a 1/2 second while driving or stopped. It acts like the key shuts off then back on very quickly.

I'd appreciate any help on this, because I am losing my patience.

BTW the only code is the P1599 code.

Thanks in advance.

CadillacLuke24
02-14-14, 05:36 PM
How old are the plugs and wires?

You may have a vacuum leak elsewhere. Pop the hood, and with the engine running, srpay vacuum lines with TB cleaner. Engine revs, you found your leak.

pose_sts
02-14-14, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a good place to start. Thanks!

MoistCabbage
02-14-14, 06:30 PM
What's the code definition?

97EldoCoupe
02-14-14, 06:36 PM
1599 if I remember correctly is "near stall detected". I could be wrong. I know it's a stall code

vincentm
02-14-14, 09:42 PM
CKP's?

Ranger
02-14-14, 09:42 PM
Stalling at a stop light with no DTC (other than P1599) is a symptom of CKP sensor failure.

pose_sts
02-16-14, 10:53 AM
The stalling was resolved with the replacement EGR valve. The issue was the car cutting out like someone flipping the ignition switch off and on really fast, and it was doing it at speed as well as stopped. I think I may have found a solution on it. My mechanic friend suggested possibly the ignition switch itself, so I thought I'd clean the resistors on the keys first. So far, no more cutting out. We'll see if any other issues arise, but I may pick up a CKP sensor to have it on standby.

Submariner409
02-16-14, 06:55 PM
Your engine has 2 CKPs - CranKshaft Position sensor(s). Talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>

Don't cheap out on CKP work. Many posts in Tech Tips, and your 1998 is different from 2000 and later.

pose_sts
02-20-14, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the input, but it's going to be someone else's issue. I'm tired of throwing money at it and it's still not fixed.

pose_sts
02-21-14, 06:30 PM
Unplugged IAC valve to help stop stalling. It woked, so I cleaned the IAC valve with a rubbing alcohol soak and brake parts cleaner. Greased up the seal and reinstalled. Drove into some downtown traffic, and a drive-thru. No stalling so far.

When cleaning throttle body, clean all of its removable components as well.

Ranger
02-21-14, 09:52 PM
Just had to clean my daughters yesterday. It would not idle. Pulled the IAC, cleaned it and reinstalled it and all is well.

I'd be a little weary about grease. That is likely to attract carbon and get very gooey with the heat.

MoistCabbage
02-21-14, 09:56 PM
Yeah. If there's any question about the gasket/O ring, replace it.