: What Tires is everyone running?

wigging
07-14-05, 12:23 AM
I am hitting 16,000 miles with my CTVS and am nearing time to change tires for the SECOND time. I have been running the Goodyear Super Car run flats and not only are they costly, they dont last worth a crap. I don't burn rubber either. lol

Anyway, I am curious... What tires are on your CTSV? Comments?
Thanks for your input... I will be a buyer in less than 1000 miles.

UW

Vrocks
07-14-05, 12:34 AM
I'm on my second set of tires. I went with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's back in October and they won't wear down. I have 8,000 miles on them and they look brand new (I'll take pics). They don't feel as good as a high performance tire and now that the roads have warmed up they squeak and squeal a lot. I should buy new summer tires but I only have 7-8 months left on the lease, so I'm going to wait it out.

Bigplay
07-14-05, 12:44 AM
The goodyears on my car went out at 5,000 miles. switched 2 michelin's high pro and they are great and the ride is much smoother. They ride like the ones on my 05' sts except they are zero pressure.

AmesCTS-V
07-14-05, 01:25 AM
I plan on getting KDW2's. If for some reason I don't get those I'll get the Bridgestone S03's.

lawfive
07-14-05, 01:29 AM
GS-D3s, and loving it!

comradeM
07-14-05, 02:03 AM
Bfg Kdw2 Do It.

PneuBird
07-14-05, 02:12 AM
I've got BF Goodrich KDW2 and really like them in the rain. They corner well but I bought the stock tire size 245/18 and I spin them much to easily. I wish I would have gone with a wider tire now. :helpless:

Texan V
07-14-05, 06:57 AM
I've got about 2,000 on the Toyo Proxes so far and no complaints. They feel very near the same performance as the run flats in dry weather (90%). Ride is much better and they are a vast improvement over the run flats in the rain.

Drift-caddy
07-14-05, 07:04 AM
555s, great tire for the price.

thebigjimsho
07-14-05, 08:22 AM
I've got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Great tire, compares very well with the S-03 at TireRack.

Phenominal in the rain, great ride and sharp responses. I highly recommend them.

1gCtsV05
07-14-05, 09:02 AM
bridgestone potenza s-03...
I live and die by these tires...
they stick like no other imo.

pmsteinm
07-14-05, 11:16 AM
I'm on my second set of GS-D3s. This is the first time I've have them in hot weather (first came and went during winter/spring months), and they rock! 1.05g+ is a piece of cake on my favorite turns.

SBONES
07-14-05, 11:22 AM
i run the gsd3 goodyear, and i wouldnt change for anything. so smooth...

crowan
07-14-05, 11:44 AM
Toyo Proxie T1Rs. Love 'em

CVP33
07-14-05, 07:47 PM
GSD3's but I'd try the Toyo's for the next set. Except they don't make a 275/40/18 in the T1-R yet. So I'll stay with the GSD3's. Strangely, only the rears seem to be wearing. I'll told the wife I just can't explain it. Must be my worn out muffler bearings. :lildevil:

I don't start the shit, I just stir it a little.

soon to V
07-14-05, 09:11 PM
Tirerack recommends the GSD3s if you don't want runflats; they claim they perform better than the runflats, and I've found those guys a pretty reliable source. I do love my F1 runflats, but Yes they toast very easily ( I think they start with the least competitive rubber depth for max performance), and are not a good (deep) rain tire. I don't run my car in the rain, so its not too big a concern of mine. As such I run my runflats down to pure slicks and make sure there is no rain in the forecast. Tirerack test data (like the link below) show there are several very comparable choices that should satisfy. They don't rate looks though, and I do prefer the look of the GSD3s. Note that just like changing your car's handling parts can actually mess up the dialed in handling of the car, the same is true of tire changing. Lots of factors involved. Some time reading the published test results may help your confidence. Since I used to autocross pretty seriously, I asked about Racing compound (aka very soft) in a street rated tire (very short life but very fulfilling), but Tirerack said none available for the V, bummer! Have fun!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_f1_gs_d3_charts.jsp

willsctsv
07-14-05, 09:58 PM
I had my doubts about the GSD3's after putting them on. Now that I have them for a month and 1 track day, these tires kick ass and are well worth the money. I pulled the same on the G meter as my stock tirea at the track. 1.2 g's left, 1.17 right.
Not to shabby!
No whell hop either, just tire screeching, smokey burnouts whenever I want.
Great tire for the money. I found em for 190 each mounted and balanced.

ronr
07-15-05, 01:32 PM
bridgestone potenza s-03...
I live and die by these tires...
they stick like no other imo.

I've got the same and really like them. Grip is great, wet traction is much much better than the F1's and they're wearing great.

Florian
07-15-05, 05:39 PM
Avons M550's almost 20K miles now with em on and only 3/16th gone....looking forward to another 30K miles out of em.

F

DILLIGAF
07-15-05, 06:46 PM
Went back with runflats.Got 16000 out of first set,don't know why?My car doesn't seem to eat tires like others.I would like to know how much road surface materials are affecting wear.I don't drive on rough concrete roads very often,mostly asphalt here.

willsctsv
07-15-05, 07:05 PM
your 40, and probably not leaving the gas stations sideways or doing smokey burnouts, or chirping gears. No Flame on the age, probably just a little more reserved!
That's why you got 16k on the tires.

DgtalPimp
07-15-05, 07:16 PM
Nittos. Bang for buck they rule.

My crapflats couldn't last 6K miles on a set. The Nittos have done that and have at least half the tread left, and I do leave the gas station sideways, smokey, chirpping third. :want:

Is there a different way to drive? :hmm:

LV_V
07-15-05, 07:19 PM
BFG KDW2 245-35-19 love 'em

DgtalPimp
07-15-05, 07:19 PM
GSD3's but I'd try the Toyo's for the next set. Except they don't make a 275/40/18 in the T1-R yet. So I'll stay with the GSD3's. Strangely, only the rears seem to be wearing. I'll told the wife I just can't explain it. Must be my worn out muffler bearings. :lildevil:

I don't start the shit, I just stir it a little.

You better grease them bearings quick. :histeric:

rg351
07-15-05, 08:06 PM
Has anyone Tried using the Tireracks tire comparison.Bridgestone has a run flat with about the same abilities as the GSD3's.I feel that the suspention is setup for the stiff side wall of run flats.

DILLIGAF
07-15-05, 09:48 PM
your 40, and probably not leaving the gas stations sideways or doing smokey burnouts, or chirping gears. No Flame on the age, probably just a little more reserved!
That's why you got 16k on the tires. Holy Crap,I'm 40:( I need to go do a donut to redeem myself:sneaky: But true,I'm not much of a tire smoker.Damn I'm old:helpless:

CVP33
07-15-05, 10:14 PM
39 with only 1 year left of crazy driving. I'll be sure to enjoy EVERY mile. :thumbsup: :D

lawfive
07-16-05, 03:22 AM
...GS-D3's... I found em for 190 each mounted and balanced.

What??? Who! Where!!!

lawfive
07-16-05, 03:35 AM
I had my doubts about the GSD3's after putting them on. Now that I have them for a month and 1 track day, these tires kick ass and are well worth the money. I pulled the same on the G meter as my stock tirea at the track. 1.2 g's left, 1.17 right.
Not to shabby!

No whell hop either, just tire screeching, smokey burnouts whenever I want.

The Supercar runflat motto should be, "Live by the sword... die by the sword." The good news (e.g. cornering) is: it's like you're on rails. The bad news (e.g. bumpy roads) is: it's like you're on rails. And God help you if the rails are wet.

The GS-D3's rock 90% of the time. But they have more 'give' in tight turns than the runflats. I suppose anything would. Given that we have little body roll, you can really feel any tire-related flexing, and I can feel it in the GS-D3's compared to the concrete & Kevlar reinforced runflat sidewalls. GS-D3's feel a little less confident in hard turns vs. the Supercars. But again, 90%+ of my time is spent straightline on crappy surface streets and freeways. And there the GS-D3's are excellent, rain or shine, for grip/noise/bumpiness/tracking. I no longer feel every ant trail I drive over.

CTSV05
07-16-05, 10:27 AM
We went with the BFG G-Force KDW N/T.

Love the looks, love the ride, love the grip. Coming on 2000 mi. with them and once I got used to a little softer sidewall can push them as hard if not harder than the F1s.

We do drive in the rain and they are fantastic. I also like that they chirp on my upshifts, AND I can do a burnout when and if I choose to do so.

Oh, BTW I'm 44, and I'll pit my aggressive driving habits against anyones, don't believe me, check my development threads on my kit. Am I as stupid as I used to be?......No, that age as mellowed.

Novi
07-16-05, 06:34 PM
At 22k miles burned thru two sets of run flats, and replaced a blown one and sensor for $500. They are great for what they are intended to do but longevity is minimal, replacment/maintenance is very high and road noise and ride comfort suffer.

I went with Bridgestone Potensa s-03's and am very happy. Ride and and road noice much improved, no difference in handling and at 500 miles it's too soon to talk about longevity.

I've heard the Goodyear GS-D3 is a good tire but I'm Goodyeared out, it was time to try another tire.

Mutlu
07-17-05, 04:27 AM
Anybody put bigger sizes on stock wheels? 255 or 265s?

RobertCTS
07-17-05, 05:57 AM
Happy with my 245/45/18" Pirelli P Zero. My second set of Pirelli's. They wear like a rock.:thumbsup:

SoFlaV
07-18-05, 12:13 AM
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on at 6000 miles; up to 11K now, have rotated em once, and they're running and looking like they're brand new. No problems at all with them, and so much better than runcraps.

chiro444
07-18-05, 12:19 AM
Going with the GSD3's in a few months. I'll probably have about 8-9k miles when I replace the run flats. Going with 275's on the rear for a little more bite and better looks.

Mutlu
07-18-05, 01:25 AM
Will the 275s fit without rubbing?

CVP33
07-18-05, 07:31 PM
Dreamin and WW say yes.

Kels55
07-19-05, 04:08 PM
Bridgestone S-03
Great grip and unbelievable wet traction and I get 24-28K on the fronts and 12-14K on the rears with very spirited driving.

If I have to switch, and I probably will just to try them because they are supposed to have better treadlife, I am going to go with the BFG g-Force KDWs. The KDWs also cost a little less.

livingthedream
07-27-05, 09:58 PM
Still Running stock at 8,500 miles but it wont be long before the change. Stock is about 8 1/2 inches wide, looking to go 10. Heard that 10 in the front wont
clear.

Anyone gone 10's all around?

Would like to smooth out the ride a bit, but love the handling. I drive it hard.

05 Platinum V LivingTheDream

Parker
07-27-05, 11:36 PM
PS2s all around. 255s in the front and 295s rear. The same as the SLR Mclaren!

thebigjimsho
07-28-05, 01:35 AM
PS2s all around. 255s in the front and 295s rear. The same as the SLR Mclaren!I've seen the V in motion. I've seen the SLR in motion. I guess having the same tires is nice. Besides, the McLaren doesn't run PS2s. At least not the ones we get from the TireRack. Now, if you can get a rear wing that flips upward whenever you slow down from above 60mph, then you'd really have something.

livingthedream
07-28-05, 12:21 PM
Sometimes It appears to be difficult to get straight answers. What are the largest tires, height and tread width that can be put on the standard 18" rims front and rear?

I have been told that I can go to 10" wide tread on the rear but not on the front.
Has anyone had front fender mods to allow 10" wide tires to go all around?

What is the opinion on running different size tires on front and rear?

Looking for answers and I am at 8.500 miles and dont think the original rubber will make it too much farther.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Livingthedream@socal.rr.com

RobertCTS
07-28-05, 04:25 PM
Sometimes It appears to be difficult to get straight answers. What are the largest tires, height and tread width that can be put on the standard 18" rims front and rear?

I have been told that I can go to 10" wide tread on the rear but not on the front.
Has anyone had front fender mods to allow 10" wide tires to go all around?

What is the opinion on running different size tires on front and rear?

Looking for answers and I am at 8.500 miles and dont think the original rubber will make it too much farther.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream
Livingthedream@socal.rr.com

A rule of hand is to match your rim width to your tire trear width. You can safetly bump it up a size.

How important is your speedo and DIC electronics? If you want them to be accurate they should be the same diameter as the OEM. Can you go bigger? Sure but safety becomes an issue and your speedo means nothing.

The best mix for a 18" rim is a 245/45/18" Yes, it's the best mix as other will tell you the same thing.

lasstss
07-28-05, 05:01 PM
Just ordered Toyos T-1R
245-40-19 front
285-35-19 rear.

Stockers you can go 255 up front. Extreemly close to the spindle.
8.5" with the stock offset is the widest you can go on the front 18"wheel.
19" or 20" you might gain another 1/2" in rim width.

This is all of course keeping the wheel under or even with the fender..

livingthedream
07-28-05, 07:09 PM
I plan to stay with the stock rims. so it looks as if to get a bit more meat on the street I have to stay 8.5" wide in front and go 10" in rear. .....

Thanks for the responses.

livingthedream

Novi
07-29-05, 01:00 AM
I went with Bridgestone S-03 Potenza's. Super handling tire, good wear so far at 2500 miles. Car actually handles better, not as twitchy and hard.

mchm3
07-29-05, 11:17 AM
i have pirelli pzero nero 255-30-20 and 285-25-20

RobertCTS
07-29-05, 01:33 PM
Pirelli 245/45/18 P Zero..love them

Koooop
07-29-05, 02:11 PM
I just got Dunlop Direzza stock size.

The clearly have more slop in the side wall, they are quieter and not as harsh. They don't have that razor sharp feel of the F1s and they are not run flats. The jury is still out on the handling I've haven't had the chance to put the V through some corners, I expect the F1s were better.

The rear tires were smooth, stone bald at 9,300 miles, the fronts were not far behind, the one I kept for a spare is pretty much dust.

$898 for the four installed, taxed, road hazard warranty and that included one brand new stock wheel for a spare.

evil 8
07-29-05, 08:22 PM
BFG kd 275/40/18 on stock wheels front and rear. 3 mm spacer on the front. Has anyone else done this?

AmesCTS-V
07-30-05, 12:16 AM
BFG kd 275/40/18 on stock wheels front and rear. 3 mm spacer on the front. Has anyone else done this?
Now that sounds crazy. Rear only I'm not sure about, but front also I think your the only one. Sounds cool though.