: 04 AWD V8 oil leaks, chapter 5

platinumsrx
07-13-05, 06:42 PM
Forum -

Last posted in May concerning oil leaks in my 04 AWD V8 (thread now gone). The number of shoppings for oil leaks now stands at five -- have had 2 rear main seals replaced, one oil pan gasket, one "seal cleaned & replaced", and the current shopping for the front main seal (crankshaft seal), most significant leak of all. Will be picking it up tomorrow, unless they discover new leaks overnight. Needless to say, the disappointment is running high. Have been in continuing contact with both zone office and Cadillac Customer Relations. Don't know where any of that is going, but I believe my next step is to just park it at the dealer, informing them to call me when it's finally fixed.

Running out of patience,

Scott

nstar
07-13-05, 09:52 PM
I have 04 V8 awd that was built 4/15/04 that also has oil leaks front main seal cover is most of problem.cadillac cust service from what I can tell can't or won't help ask to see field rep no response or call back. Also rear door leaks and rear hatch won't open when hot out. It like dealer and cadillac don't talk to each other and dealer says this is only srx that has this problem? Good luck !!! but I'm about at end of my rope. I just wonder that sales are so low that they know that it won't do any good to satisfy customer.:confused:

lkamm
07-14-05, 12:40 AM
My 04 AWD V8 SRX built 12/03 now has over 23000 miles and still has never had a leak (yet?).

How many miles are on your leaking SRX's?

Kipp
07-14-05, 10:43 AM
I have some dye in my oil and will be taking it back to the dealer sometime this week. They could not find the leak. It appears to be leaking somewhere above the oil filter. Although I have an 05, production 10/04 - 4200 Mi. The last dealer I took it to said the oil filter was not tightened, even after I told them I first checked that as the source and found no problem there. Grossinger Caddy in Chicago----The absolute worst!!

platinumsrx
07-14-05, 10:54 AM
lkamm - mine a April 2004 build, purchased August 2004, now with slightly over 7000 miles (low mileage partially due to shop time!!!). I'm guessing that the second rear main seal problem was caused by improper repair of the first. Have hammered the zone office and customer relations that I'm more than pleased with the rest of the vehicle, just give me one that doesn't leak -- we've had several considerably less expensive Pontiac minivans in our garage that have NEVER had an oil leak, actually, have never been shopped for anything except oil changes. Since this is my first Cadillac, I'm greatly disappointed. Will be picking the SRX up in about an hour -- even gave them an extra day to put cardboard under it to monitor. Service manager has told me that customer relations has been in touch with both the dealer and the zone office -- service dept seems to be working "under the gun". Hopefully, we can close the book on this -- another leak and I'll want a replacement.

Scott

keeton
07-14-05, 02:09 PM
At least you are going through the proper channels in getting your problem escalated at Cadillac. I trust you are documenting everything as well because the next remedy will be your state's lemon law.

I hope they get it fixed, though.

platinumsrx
07-14-05, 03:56 PM
Shortly after I made my last post, called the service department to make sure everything was OK, and the SRX ready to go. Was informed they found some drops on the overnight cardboard, put it up on a lift, took the front engine cover off and started her up -- and you could see oil "bubbling out" of the block under where the engine cover would fit -- a porous block!!!!! All parties have been notified by the service manager, so we wait for replies and decisions. They have a nice 05 V8 AWD in Sand Storm sitting under cover right outside the service entrance -- would accept that one in a heartbeat (about an $750 higher MSRP than mine). Wonder what their quality control processes are on the cast blocks. Will keep all informed.

Keeton -- I sometimes document to my own detriment!!!!

Scott

The Tony Show
07-14-05, 08:34 PM
I was just going to post this info. There is a bulletin regarding porous blocks on 4.6L engines in SRX, STS and XLR. Apparently, there was a small VIN range that was affected, but if anyone else here is experiencing leaks, I would recommend asking them to do a pressure test on the engine. We had an 04 come in to my shop for this, and we caught it immediately by doing the pressure test.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but don't worry: Cadillac will take good care of you.

platinumsrx
07-14-05, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the info on the bulletin -- spoke to someone at the dealership a couple weeks ago that seemed to remember some bulletin on SRX oil leaks. He wasn't attached to the service department, and was somewhat vague about it, so I didn't pay too much attention to the statement. Will call service tomorrow to see if they are aware of the bulletin. Believe I'll push for a replacement vehicle.

Scott

syrob@MSN.COM
07-15-05, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, but don't worry: Cadillac will take good care of you.
Wow, what a great joke, you made my day...
SYROB

caddydaddy
07-15-05, 01:49 PM
and you could see oil "bubbling out" of the block under where the engine cover would fit -- a porous block!!!!!

I would be surprised if they didn't change out the engine. The block on my 2000 STS was porous for coolant and was replaced last year. But I thought Cadillac had the porous block issue resolved after 2000!!! :hmm:

mack1a
07-15-05, 03:35 PM
I would be surprised if they didn't change out the engine. The block on my 2000 STS was porous for coolant and was replaced last year. But I thought Cadillac had the porous block issue resolved after 2000!!! :hmm:

We are repetedly told that the Lansing plnt is number one for quality. Do they blame the "porus block" (sounds like a new oxymoron) on the V8 engine factory or on the Lancing assembly factory that fails to QC their product?

platinumsrx
07-15-05, 06:17 PM
Update - found out this morning that they will be changing out the engine. A bit disappointed in that, but can understand the business logic behind the decision. Received a call from the zone service manager this afternoon -- believe there are some 'chinks in the armor' of some of his arguments. He will be at the dealership where I bought the SRX on Tuesday, 7/19 -- he needs to look at the car, plus has some other business............then we will talk some more. My question to the group -- am I being unreasonable in wanting a replacement????

Scott

syrob@MSN.COM
07-15-05, 06:49 PM
Update - found out this morning that they will be changing out the engine. A bit disappointed in that, but can understand the business logic behind the decision. Received a call from the zone service manager this afternoon -- believe there are some 'chinks in the armor' of some of his arguments. He will be at the dealership where I bought the SRX on Tuesday, 7/19 -- he needs to look at the car, plus has some other business............then we will talk some more. My question to the group -- am I being unreasonable in wanting a replacement????Scott
OK, So they change the engine, hope they know how to do it, yours will be their first practice, hope no extra fasteners are left at the end...

If your problem was present from day one they should give you a new car...

SYROB

Kipp
07-15-05, 09:30 PM
Update - found out this morning that they will be changing out the engine. A bit disappointed in that, but can understand the business logic behind the decision. Received a call from the zone service manager this afternoon -- believe there are some 'chinks in the armor' of some of his arguments. He will be at the dealership where I bought the SRX on Tuesday, 7/19 -- he needs to look at the car, plus has some other business............then we will talk some more. My question to the group -- am I being unreasonable in wanting a replacement????

Scott

Sorry to hear about it, so what was the problem & production date of the car?

platinumsrx
07-15-05, 10:16 PM
Production date April 2004, purchased August 2004, first of 5 trips to dealer for oil leaks September 2004. Currently sitting at dealer awaiting new engine (supposedly ordered today). Owner (me) wants replacement SRX, GM wants to replace engine.

Scott

platinumsrx
07-19-05, 07:14 PM
Update on the continuing sage................met today face-to-face with the zone service manager at my local dealership. After introductions, gave him my "presentation" on my reasons for requesting a vehicle replacement as opposed to an engine change (today was the 21st day this SRX has been out of service due to oil leaks). After my presentation, not one word was spoken of an engine change by the service manager. He will be starting the paperwork tomorrow, sounds like this could be a lengthy process. Replacement engine to arrive at dealership on Thursday, 7/21, engine change to be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday. Will then drive it until buy-back process is completed, and we sign final papers. Who knows, maybe the new engine will convince me to keep it. Have to admit at this point that the process seems to work, and all dealings have been fair and honest (didn't emerge from the meeting bloody or broken).

Will keep you informed....

Scott

c5 rv
07-19-05, 08:36 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope it all works out for you. So, if they buy it back, what will you get instead?

platinumsrx
07-19-05, 10:25 PM
Good question -- have been discussing that very topic since late this afternoon. Thoughts of a CTS or STS have been talked about, but we both keep coming back to the SRX. It's a great road car, very solid, ease of entrance and exit, plenty of room, good visibility (ride height).............and the V8. If I were a betting man, I'd bet we ended up with another SRX AWD V8. If I end up with another porous block, I'll have to start playing Powerball

Scott

The Tony Show
07-20-05, 12:22 PM
Wow, what a great joke, you made my day...
SYROB

It appears that Cadillac is taking excellent care of him in this situation. I fail to see what's so funny.

john d
07-20-05, 12:29 PM
Tony - Can you help on the 0 - 60 V8 awd thread?

syrob@MSN.COM
07-20-05, 12:38 PM
It appears that Cadillac is taking excellent care of him in this situation. I fail to see what's so funny.Now they are, when I posted they were going to practice changing engines on him...

SYROB

platinumsrx
07-26-05, 07:08 PM
Another update............engine change completed on Friday 7/22, they put some miles on it on 7/23, then the cardboard treatment over the weekend. No leaks found on Monday morning, so I picked it up and put a few miles on myself. The engine seems a bit stronger than before, but perhaps that's because I've been driving a Deville for the last 2 weeks. Believe I have convinced the powers-that-be that a replacement SRX is appropriate...........at this point the papers are being drawn up, but still do not want to sound too confident until I'm driving off the lot with all papers signed.

Will have to change my name from "platinumsrx" to "sandstormsrx" when it happens................

Scott

platinumsrx
08-04-05, 03:41 PM
FYI -- another update ------ Cadillac has agreed to replace my 2004 AWD V-8 with a 2005 AWD V-8. Everything seems to be moving along smoothly with the paper work, though a bit slowly. Will be gaining lumbar support (not available on early 2004 production), XM and Ultraview -- losing rear DVD and third row seating (neither of which we would ever use). Hope the creaking problems with Ultraview I've been reading about on the forum have been solved with the 2005's.

The service department that performed the engine change on the 04 seems to have done a good job. It's running very well and has not left me any "deposits" on the garage floor. As I noted earlier, the engine seems to have more power -- who knows, if oil could bubble out of the block, I'm sure air could get in, causing a power loss. I do seem to notice a bit more downshifting that before, but perhaps that's just me being oversensitive.

Overall, Cadillac has done a very good job of keeping a customer happy -- yes, there were a couple "speed bumps" along the way, but, so far, I'm still a happy SRX owner. This was all accomplished with no raised voices or pounding on the table. Can't wait for the new one to arrive!!

Thanks for listening --

Scott