: Should A New V Have 57 Miles On It???

V-Love
07-13-05, 03:54 PM
A dealer is tellin' me 57 miles is normal from the factory. He tells me that XLR's and V's have up to 75 from the factory. What do you think???

Drift-caddy
07-13-05, 04:00 PM
Normal. not bad at all. the factory does a test drive on a inclosed course, then thy drive it on the truck, drive it off the truck. After the dealer has the car they do a PDI, and that included a road test, if i recall 10 mile or more. So yes 57 miles is good, i would not worry about it.

Thanks
Damian

GNSCOTT
07-13-05, 04:11 PM
I think he is BS'ing you. My V had 3 miles on it when it came off the carrier. If you found the car on a lot I wouldn't worry about it, if you ordered it I would be pissed. 57 miles on a car that you found on the lot is nothing but a few test drives or a salesman taking the car home a night or 2.

Florian
07-13-05, 04:13 PM
10 miles or less is common, after that....its been test driven or overnight loaned.

Take a few bux off.

F

NIK
07-13-05, 04:17 PM
I think he is BS'ing you. My V had 3 miles on it when it came off the carrier. If you found the car on a lot I wouldn't worry about it, if you ordered it I would be pissed. 57 miles on a car that you found on the lot is nothing but a few test drives or a salesman taking the car home a night or 2.

Like what he said - mine was ordered and I picked it up with 5 miles on it ....

Merle Corey
07-13-05, 04:20 PM
mine was 24 miles... I don't begrudge the factory/dealer a bit for it... I suppose it would be different if I'd had it built to order. I was still the one to hone the engine in and exercise the chasis.

07-13-05, 04:37 PM

:yeah:

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 04:42 PM
Mine had 24 and it was dealer traded.

sti convert
07-13-05, 04:55 PM
I went for a test drive before I bought mine, the salesman (kid) just hammered it and the car was not even close to being broken in. So I took the other V that was on the lot with only about 10 miles on it.

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 05:09 PM
Mine was ordered and picked up with 11 miles on the odo.

slow35th
07-13-05, 05:13 PM
Picked mine up with 7 miles on it and it was the one I test drove. It had 5 on it when I test drove it.

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 05:19 PM
Seems like a lot of people that know what they are doing are recommending letting a new engine have it. I read one engine builder who was saying how it's really the best way to break in an engine. I'll see if I can find the URL.

chesrowncadillac
07-13-05, 05:23 PM
I have a used company car with 12 miles on it. $41900.00

ta206
07-13-05, 05:30 PM
As long as there have been internal combustion engines, there have been "experts" on both sides of the fence. One side says "drive it like you stole it from day one", the other says "baby it for the first xxx miles". Sorry, but I always do what the factory says. I figure that they have built and warrantied millions of engines, so I listen to what they say. That being said, I plunked down my hard-earned $50K+ on a car that hadn't been beat on by anyone. BTW it had 7 miles on it when I test drove it and then bought it. I didn't even let them detail it for fear that some moron would drive it in a way that I didn't appove of.

Dave's V
07-13-05, 05:37 PM
I'll never buy a new car with more than 50 miles on it, even if the dealer does offer a discount. I think that was one of the main problems I had with my V's rear end howling so early. The dealership drove it like they stole it, not breaking it in correctly. I learned my lesson.

If I ordered a vehicle, I would expect it to have less than 10 miles on it. Even my Trailblazer only had 5 miles on it and it was sitting on the lot.

One dealer actually tried to tell me 6000 miles is still considered new on a GMC so he wouldn't offer a discount. I walked out and bought the Trailblazer right across the street with a V-8 and cheaper price.

naiculnila
07-13-05, 05:45 PM
bought mine with 140 miles on it. no gear whine....no nothing so far! (knock on wood)

only problems i've had were with the nav screen having a burnt pixel and the rear left panel coming loose!

drdsgolf
07-13-05, 06:03 PM
When the V first came out, many dealers were making a big fuss over not letting people test drive the car. I think that phase is over now. Fifty-seven miles on a new car is nothing--no one has had a chance to hurt it in my opinion. It's brand new. I'm still sick about paying nearly $55000 for my V brand new in early 2004 compared to what people are paying now. I think the best deal of all will be two-year old V's coming out of leases. I'll bet they sell in the mid 20's. That will be a hell of a car for $24,000.

ds

urbanski
07-13-05, 06:39 PM
mine had 6
and i beat the crap out of it from teh second it left the lot

RobzBLKV
07-13-05, 07:16 PM
Mine had 45 or 55, don't remember which, but it was dealer traded and about 30 of them were from the transfer. *shrug* No gear whine yet, no catastrophic failures yet, minimal wheel hop tendancies.

Vrocks
07-13-05, 09:38 PM
If you're the first person to drive it off the lot it'll have around 5 miles on it. 50 or 60 miles isn't a lot because they need to give people test drives, or maybe the owner / manager took it home for a day. Just take it for a test drive and check for the usual things like, rear end noise (might be too early), shifter feel, steering or any vibrations from 60 - 80mph...

I think the two main things with break in for a new V are: go easy on the brakes and limit power for the gears, not the engine. I know they're going to hot test the new LS7 right after it's built, including an engine dynamometer pull. So if she isn't whining I wouldn't worry.

2004ctsv
07-13-05, 09:41 PM
Mine had 4 or 5 miles on it and I could see on the Nav that they made a large trip on the roads around the dealership. The mechanic was checking it out.It was only the 2nd one they had seen in March 2004.

Tony

05CTS
07-13-05, 09:53 PM
Any new GM car or truck w/over 100 miles is consided used. I'm sure your car was test driven by one or two others first.

Seattle CTS-V
07-13-05, 11:07 PM
Yikes, mine had around 250 miles on it and the black paint already had swirl marks in it. I'm a suckaaaa! But a happy one so far :)

StealthV
07-13-05, 11:19 PM
Put 40+ miles on the first 2004 V I test drove locally and pretty much babied it as I had respect for the future owner. 57 miles is nothing.

Some tell-tales: check the tires for scratches down the center of the tread from attempted burn-outs and also the edge of the tire where it starts to curve over for the little injection mold nubs. If they are still there, it was never cornered hard.

We just bought a new Nox for a winter beater and it had 77 miles on it. What on earth can one do test driving a AWD 185 hp Nox? Not much, lol.

CVP33
07-13-05, 11:29 PM
The Nox looks small, but it actually bullied Rick's V off the driveway and into the grass. Tough little shit, ain't it? :lildevil:

urbanski
07-14-05, 08:23 AM
The Nox looks small, but it actually bullied Rick's V off the driveway and into the grass. Tough little shit, ain't it? :lildevil:
:lol:

GNSCOTT
07-14-05, 11:43 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with breaking in a motor hard, its the rear and the tranny that I would like to slowly break in.

nukeduster
07-14-05, 11:59 AM
During manufacturing/casting, there are ALWAYS small metal particulates left in the engine. Even though they tank the engines and clean them thoroughly, my friend who was an engineer for GM for 30 years in their R&D department always said drain your oil in the first 500 miles as there will always be at least some metal particulates in it that had worked lose that werent liberated from the factory cleaning. After your first oil change you can pretty much hammer the car from then on.

I've seen new, never titled vehicles with 5,000 miles on them. Having 50-60 miles usually indicates a few test drives or maybe a dealer trade. Whenever we do a trade between one of our sister dealerships in the valley we just drive the car there.. thats up to 30 miles one way. I wouldn't worry about a small # of miles too much, just baby it up until around 500 miles. Esp. the brakes, as new brakes need to bed in otherwise they glaze over.

CTS-VETTE 550HP
07-14-05, 12:13 PM
I bought mine with 2 miles on it as soon as it was unloaded from the delivery truck.

99GTX
07-14-05, 12:32 PM
I have a used company car with 12 miles on it. $41900.00

There goes David again. This is how he corrupted me into buying. Well, no corruption was really necessary, but it did push me over the edge of my purchasing decision. :coolgleam

Koooop
07-14-05, 01:20 PM
There were 5 miles on mine at the dealership when it was new, but they wouldn't let me test drive it...SO I DIDN'T BUY IT FROM THOSE MORONS!

Playdrv4me
07-14-05, 01:33 PM
I echo the above statement. "New" is a completely relative term, Ive seen "New" cars with 700 miles on them, and used cars with 12 (today lol). New simply means the vehicle has not been titled out and registered yet.

57 miles is nothing.