: new GTO no wheel Hop!

TXSilverV
07-13-05, 11:13 AM
I have a friend that owns a dealership and he let me drive the new GTO. He told me it was ok to drive it hard. That was the wrong thing to tell me!lol You would not want to buy this GTO as the tire life has been reduced somewhat. Well my point is the GTO had no wheel hop at all. I was so pissed at GM I tested this thing a good eight or nine times. Each time no hop just spin and go. If they can get it correct on a GTO why not our "V". Is the rear end the same as ours?:want:

Florian
07-13-05, 11:17 AM
nope.

F

steve711
07-13-05, 12:09 PM
Short Answer-Nuburgring
The suspension in the V is more tuned for road racing.
Where as the Gto suspension is more of a dragster/street racer.

CTSV05
07-13-05, 12:43 PM
The rear suspension isn't even close.

Was this a 6 speed?

TXSilverV
07-13-05, 12:49 PM
Yes it was a 6 speed. I can tell you though my car still feels a lot faster by the seat of your pant meter. 2nd and 3rd felt soft and I could not make the tires spin. In my V I can make the tires spin 1-4!

GNSCOTT
07-13-05, 12:59 PM
Yes it was a 6 speed. I can tell you though my car still feels a lot faster by the seat of your pant meter. 2nd and 3rd felt soft and I could not make the tires spin. In my V I can make the tires spin 1-4!

The 373 rears in the V help a little with that as well. Not sure of the differences in gearing in the tranny.

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 01:10 PM
You didn't launch it right then. It has wheel hop for sure. I got most of my GTO's wheel hop gone with a Harrop diff cover, see this link for a ton of pics from my driveway install. (http://www.redgto.com/Default.aspx?album=GTO/Diff) I do have the GM bushing from the thump in the trunk TSB.

I have Harrop bushings also that I think will finish off the job. I wish Harrop made V parts. They know what's up.

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 01:12 PM
Did you leave TC on? It's a very agressive TC in the GTO. The LS2 in the 05's has been accused of being softer than the 04's with the LS1. But both have no problem spinning the tires in 1-2-3.

TXSilverV
07-13-05, 03:42 PM
AmesCTS-V this was a 05 so is the rear the same as your 04 gto? TC was off and like I said I did it about eight times with no wheel hop. They will need some new tires for who ever buys the car though.

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 04:03 PM
AmesCTS-V this was a 05 so is the rear the same as your 04 gto? TC was off and like I said I did it about eight times with no wheel hop. They will need some new tires for who ever buys the car though.
Yeah 05 guys have the same diff and do the same Harrop cover and bushing mod to fix the wheel hop. The V is a lot easier to wheel hop than the GTO. Unfortunately the GTO only seems to wheel hop on good launches. Too much gas or too little and it won't. I had my GTO for probably 4 months before I started getting really good launches and that's when the wheel showed up in all it's glory.

The GTO diffs do seem to hold up to more hp than the V ones.

Sounds like you had fun though, so it's all good.

bryce3
07-13-05, 04:25 PM
Maybe the GTO isn't hopping as much because as you said the tires are pretty worn? I know my V with worn F1's didn't hop as bad on hard launches.
-Sean

TXSilverV
07-13-05, 04:36 PM
Bryce the car was new it only had 18 miles on it. AmesCTS-V I launched the car at all sorts of rpm levels. Like I said I was upset because there was none not even one little hop. I still like my V much better though, and I had installed BMR's items but not to start a flame war I personaly thought it was a bunch of junk. It reduced the hop about 25% but made to much noise for me and that was over my exhaust note. I would like some of you guys that have other fixes to let me know what you think!

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 05:05 PM
Bryce the car was new it only had 18 miles on it. AmesCTS-V I launched the car at all sorts of rpm levels. Like I said I was upset because there was none not even one little hop. I still like my V much better though, and I had installed BMR's items but not to start a flame war I personaly thought it was a bunch of junk. It reduced the hop about 25% but made to much noise for me and that was over my exhaust note. I would like some of you guys that have other fixes to let me know what you think!
Well, not sure what to say. Either the car already had engine problems or you just didn't get a good launch. The GTO does have a much stiffer clutch than the V, I've noticed it's tough for me to go back and forth driving each on and shift well. The GTO guys talk about wheel hop as much as we do here. I did a quick search for wheel hop on LS1gto.com and it limited the search to the first 500 threads.

TXSilverV
07-13-05, 05:10 PM
Maybe he let me test a ringer!!!LOL If it was a new CTS-V with no wheel hop I would have traded my 04 in on the spot. Also did you know you can get a V on the employee price but not a GTO.

AmesCTS-V
07-13-05, 05:27 PM
Also did you know you can get a V on the employee price but not a GTO.
Yeah I got my V at GMS. I posted this same thing in response to a post on here about the GTO not being in demand....

nickmonte
07-20-05, 02:14 AM
yes i had 98 vett with the z 51 performance handeling pkg 6 speed it never wheel hoped 95 z28 6 speed never hoped the tires also lasted longer 30000 on the vett with many burn outs and standing 360 the v were nearly baled at 4000 miles after what i would think was some what easy on it in comparison to both vett and z 28 the vet had goodyear run flats f1 same tire little wider though

nickmonte
07-20-05, 02:16 AM
gto not to cool though v much better racer too speed gt gto not to hot

VELOSE
07-20-05, 03:14 AM
Maybe the GTO isn't hopping as much because as you said the tires are pretty worn? I know my V with worn F1's didn't hop as bad on hard launches.
-Sean

Sean, maybe you don't get much wheelhop because of all the slippery dust in Tracy. :p