: Sheared Exhaust Flange Bolt

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 12:49 AM
Pretty much what the title says. I was trying to remove the exhaust tonight to get to the shifter to swap with the UUC piece and I sheared the inside bolt on the passenger side flange.

So now what?

StealthV
07-13-05, 01:00 AM
Exhaust Stud 88891750
Exhaust Nut 11517996

(Come in packs of 5) GM :hmm:

For a temporary fix, remove the sheared off stud with a vise grip or easy-out etc. and stick a regular bolt through the hole to clamp the exhaust.

Here are pictures of my similar faux pas and fix...

http://www.stealthv.com/images/b&b_re29.jpg
http://www.stealthv.com/images/b&b_re21.jpg

Since I've had the exhaust on and off more times than I can count, my recommendation is to spray the studs liberally with a good penetrating type oil before disassembly.

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 01:03 AM
Oh yeah, that first pic looks very familiar. I'll take a look-see for that hardware. I do have an old friend who still works on exhausts. I'll have to give him a call.

Thanks Rick.

urbanski
07-13-05, 08:55 AM
get headers, you'll get new bolts then :D

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 09:23 AM
get headers, you'll get new bolts then :DOne step ahead of ya. I emailed TByrne last night. If there is any chance he has TPIS headers in stock or can get them by Friday, I'll get them now.

But they're installing them.:bighead:

StealthV
07-13-05, 01:11 PM
For me, I thought the UUC install was more a PITA than the headers. You already did the UUC, right? :)

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 01:38 PM
That's why the exhaust is coming off. After being up late Monday night with the Specter bushings, working all day Tuesday and not getting to the UUC until 9:30 last night, I was a walking wall of mindless matter. I just took the exhaust off and called it a night. Who knows what else would've broke off the car?

I tell you, $2G for a 2 post lift is looking more and more like my next investment.

StealthV
07-13-05, 02:06 PM
With the exhaust off, it wouldn't take long to drop the coil packs off, pull the plugs and drop the exhaust manifolds.

With a lift, you wouldn't have near the fun. :rant2:

urbanski
07-13-05, 03:05 PM
real men do it with Rhinos and jack stands :cheers:

thebigjimsho
07-13-05, 03:22 PM
real men do it with Rhinos and jack stands :cheers:Who are you? Ace Ventura? Real skinny men do it with Rhino ramps. Larger men take a lot longer to maneuver around under there.

CVP33
07-13-05, 09:13 PM
Huh, you call yourself a man?! I sheared off 3 when I did my header install. Let me show you how to really screw things up. :D

2004ctsv
07-13-05, 10:36 PM
real men do it with Rhinos and jack stands :cheers:

And we thought that the guys from West By God Virginia were weird molesting sheep.

You Da Man.

Tony

BTW - how did you get their hoofs into your boots?