: Been driving a CTS, non-V today

AmesCTS-V
07-11-05, 11:27 PM
While my V is having the tranny looked at I got a CTS to drive, not a V. This is my first time in one. I'm sure some of you had a CTS before the V so this might not be a real interesting thread... But anyway I found the differences interesting and question some of the V choices.

I like the volume wheel. It's nice and I've wondered why the V has no volume controls on the steering wheel. My wife says the reach to the volume knob is so close who cares, I guess I do.

The center arm rest is taller and way better. I like it enough that I'm thinking of a transplant.

I don't like the CTS gauges. Too hard to read.

Turns out I don't miss the auto. I'm fine with shifting in the V.

I almost bought one of these in 03 when I got my GTP. I probably should have done it, seems like a solid car.

Vrocks
07-12-05, 12:21 AM
I like the volume wheel. It's nice and I've wondered why the V has no volume controls on the steering wheel. My wife says the reach to the volume knob is so close who cares, I guess I do.

I also like the radio controls on the right hand side instead of the cruise control. I use cruise control only a couple of times a month but I change the volume and radio stations often.

OuTLAw
07-12-05, 12:28 AM
I agree about the volume control and the center arm rest. Guess im spoiled that my other and previous cars had the volume control on the steering wheel.

As for the center arm rest, I think that they should have used our armrest in the CTS and theirs in ours.

I also hate the fact that the brake is the pedal version rather than the center arm brake. Can't do any handbrake action(not that I would :lildevil: ) but more than that the dam release is too f*cking close to the hood release and its hard to look cool when you start the car, get ready to back out of the driveway and instead have to get out of the car and close the hood :banghead:

AmesCTS-V
07-12-05, 12:41 AM
I also hate the fact that the brake is the pedal version rather than the center arm brake. Can't do any handbrake action(not that I would :lildevil: ) but more than that the dam release is too f*cking close to the hood release and its hard to look cool when you start the car, get ready to back out of the driveway and instead have to get out of the car and close the hood :banghead:
Yeah the first week I opened the hood a dozen times when I was going for the brake release. One time at the store with people checking out the V I got the hood, went out and closed it, then flustered and feeling dumb got the hood release again... My wife was in the car giving me the :cookoo:

JohnnyU
07-12-05, 01:22 AM
...and the valet parkers and car wash guys can never find the parking brake either...I cringe to think they are driving it around with the brake on...:annoyed:

seanr56
07-12-05, 03:36 AM
I used to own a Nissan Maxima SE of which 90% are automatic (I am buying American from now on) and the center armrest appeared to be designed primarily with automatics in mind. I felt that the armrest was a bit too high and it took me some time to learn to shift without hittling my elbow on it. Do you feel that the lower armrest in the V was designed to correct this problem? Might the non-V armrest get in the way?

By the way, I drive a Camaro SS so what do I know? A V is definitely in my future.

odysseus
07-12-05, 07:14 AM
I know many V owners view the regular CTS on par with a Camry, but it's really not a bad car. It's the same car as the V, but with a little less than two thirds the power, (and detuned suspension, brakes, and tires). It is a very well balanced car, but shares the same complaints (parking brake being my biggest one). When I get in any other car, I find myself thumbing for the radio volume . . . very nice feature.

I was torn over the (then new) V and a manual CTS sport (not many around), when I got my car. I typically put 100,000 miles a year on a car in just 3 years, so I reluctantly decided not to waste such a great car to commuting. 23mpg all around is the upside to having half the power of the V. A manual CTS is fun to drive. The quest for more power is universal, though, and not just for the V. Many of us lowly CTS owners add a CAI and better exhaust. We don't have a supercharger option (other than a few vaporware Vortec's) like the maggie, or computer tuning, unfortunately. Personally, I think 300HP for a V6 CTS should be the norm. No where near the V, but fun nonetheless.

I think the CTS, in general, is a very refined and balanced car, and the CTS-V is simply the best bang for the buck for any performance car in the world. Plus, who can argue with 400HP of good old American iron (or aluminum in this case)?

dqw1
07-12-05, 08:43 AM
I owned a CTS for 5 months until I picked up a V. The CTS is an awesome car on it's own merit. It's fast, good looking and a real pleasure to drive. The V bug got me so I traded up and don't regret it. I still miss the thumb wheel as others have mentioned and yeah, the hood release got me a few times the first week.

I can echo the comment above that with the HP wars that's going on now, Caddie should up the CTS power to no less than 300 or more. For the V, go to 500.
Caddie can't afford to lose the momentum now.

MCTS-V
07-12-05, 11:49 AM
but more than that the dam release is too f*cking close to the hood release and its hard to look cool when you start the car, get ready to back out of the driveway and instead have to get out of the car and close the hood

I am in the same situation, my V is in for service and I was given a regular CTS. I HATE the hood release in that position and I have poped it so many times when I am in a hurry and not being careful that I have sat in the car giving it the finger to the dellight of those around me. I am pretty impressed with the engine, though, it is pretty strong with lots of torque; one of the better sixes I have ever driven. Overall it is a nice car but does not have anywhere near the attitude of the V.

naiculnila
07-12-05, 12:57 PM
mine is in for service too.....except i got a Deville!....
it's like cruisin on a cushion of air!

Koooop
07-12-05, 01:00 PM
Before the V's were in production someone let me use a fully loaded CTS for two weeks. I loved the car, the nav system, the stabilitrak, the interior, but the whole time I used the car I kept saying...If this thing had a V8 I'd buy one! I'm happy someone listened.