: BMR AWH + Specter bushings ?????

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 09:27 PM
My father always wanted me to learn to work on cars. Unfortunately, his way of teaching sucked. If I wasn't getting something, he'd just take over and I watched. So my expertise is more watching someone work on a car. But I actually can do quite a bit, though I'm rather methodical.

Anyway, I didn't install the BMR kit myself. I've got the car up on jackstands and I want to make sure I don't royally mess anything up. Should I just go ahead and install the Specter bushings to the stock rubber ones and reassemble the spacers like they've been situated since the install? I'd assume this is how it works and I'll find out soon enough, but I also would like any heads up before doing anything dumb.

Thanks guys.

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 09:45 PM
Also, if these Specter bushings work in conjunction with the BMR spacers, what do I torque the cradle bolts to? With the BMR it's 180 and 140ft/lb, with the Specter bushings, it's 90ft/lb.

HDMLNIUM
07-11-05, 09:56 PM
Jim,

Dan stopped by Yesterday and he just put the Specter bushings and BMR AWK on. He said you couldn't use them together, so from what he said just the Specter bushings and the bar are used. I would have thought you could use both but I haven't seen the Specter bushings first hand. I don't seem to get any wheel hop anymore, I can burn all of first shift into second and keep on burning, no hop. I was going to order the Specter bushings and add them to all the BMR stuff but as of now I don't seem to need it.
Good luck on your install...

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
Westers, B&B Headers-high flow cats-and 3" resonator exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, UUC shifter, Full BMR
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 10:29 PM
I got underneath and loosened up the cradle mounts. My suspicions were pretty well founded. 3 of the 4 bolts were easy to loosen. I'm not the strongest guy in the world so I'm guessing that the dealer didn't tighten the cradle bolts back to BMR specs like I reminded them to.

I'm in the process of dropping the cradle now and I see how the BMR spacers are mounted. Again, I didn't install the kit. I would've thought you could wedge the Specter bushings in series with what's in there now. Did Dan's Specter bushings drop the cradle enough where the BMR car could do its thing even with the B&B exhaust?

Oh boy!

moldowan
07-11-05, 10:33 PM
my guy at dynatex racing said that the specter bushings go in along with the stock ones (they sit on top of them) he said he called specter works and that is what they told him to do.

-Moldy

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 10:40 PM
Jim,

Dan stopped by Yesterday and he just put the Specter bushings and BMR AWK on. He said you couldn't use them together, so from what he said just the Specter bushings and the bar are used. I would have thought you could use both but I haven't seen the Specter bushings first hand. I don't seem to get any wheel hop anymore, I can burn all of first shift into second and keep on burning, no hop. I was going to order the Specter bushings and add them to all the BMR stuff but as of now I don't seem to need it.
Good luck on your install...

Bill
Bill, how is the hop when powershifting? With the BMR, I could launch without hop but I'd hop like a rabbit when powershifting. And that was when the BMR was tight.

HDMLNIUM
07-11-05, 10:41 PM
From Moldy's post it sounds like you don't use the top BMR top rings but you can still use the bottoms. I didn't see if Dan was using spacers between the bar or not but she is on there with his B&B. I ended up using the aluminum spacers along with 2 washers on each side to space it far enough away from the B&B.

I only speed shift at the track and the last 2 times I tried it the damn clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I still shift pretty quick right back to full throttle and I have no hop anymore. I don't know if it was the total combo of the BMR AWK, Pinion support, Toe rods, and trailing arms all together that did it or I am just being lucky now. But I no longer have fear of letting her loose and laying rubber. The rear may still break, but no embarrassing hop anymore..
I want to change the flywheel and clutch next so I can speed shift at the track again..

DansCTSV
07-11-05, 10:53 PM
The Specter Bushings replace the bushings supplied with the BMR kit. I am not so sure it was the best move to order both kits. I guess the BMR trailing arm brace will only help. I would also imagine that the Specter bushings will be quieter than the metal bushings supplied with the BMR kit. They are both just different ways of locking up the cradle. I am a bit nervous with the statement in the BMR kit about not to use the trailing arm brace without installing the BMR spacers as there will be risk of puncturing the gas tank. Since the BMR spacers are metal on metal they are probably more rigid. I think the Specter bushings will be fine though.

On a few hard shifts from first to second today I did notice that I am still getting some hop. After seeing Bills car at the track I may try the BMR spacers at some point. Probably not what you wanted to here.

As for torque specs, I torqued the 24mm bolts to 160 and the 21mm bolts to 140.

Anyone else out here have any thoughts or comments?

HDMLNIUM
07-11-05, 11:01 PM
I torqued the same 160 on the 24mm and 140 on the 21mm. The BMR instuctions say 140 on all 4 but I read that people were saying to go to 180 on the 24mm bolts so I just met it in the middle..

DansCTSV
07-11-05, 11:07 PM
I also used the spacers supplied with the B&B exhaust. I had to drill them out though.

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 11:14 PM
OK, we're going to play As The World Turns starring...me. Now that I've fully dropped the cradle and can now see how the BMR works, I understand that you cannot physically use both the Specter and BMR in series.

All I know is that with the BMR, you can launch with no hop and you can shift quickly and get little to no hop but you can not powershift and not get hop. I just don't see any way around it. As for the BMR, I've had it on for about a year now and the lack of hop, with practice, is a pretty worthwhile tradeoff for the extra noise. Now, if the Specter bushings can do the same with less noise, it's worth the change.

ace996
07-11-05, 11:15 PM
BigJim,
I torqued the Specters to 150 all around, as that is what my torque wrench maxes out. I really had to yank on the wrench, OMG!!!!

I don't have the BMR, but the Specter Bushings have those extra insert pieces that the metal rings don't have....so it may be a better fix with the Specters, as movement will be hindered both by torque levels and filling the spaces with the inserts.

With a little more time with the SWBs, I can say that they are amazing at what they do...no hops...just a coupla skips. With less sticky tires, I'd assume it'd be burn-out city.

I'm interested to hear how the Hoosiers react with the anti-hop "system" you'll have.

Ve good and good luck,
ace996

lawfive
07-11-05, 11:16 PM
Alzheimers here... I've been saying LPE in my last couple of posts, but it's the Specter bushings I installed. Sorry, Specter!

I also tightened 160/140, only because my torque wrench max's out at 160. No wheel hop kit for me yet.

HDMLNIUM
07-11-05, 11:19 PM
Get her done Jim, we need to have a get together at NED soon.
I know Dan can't wait for a rematch now that he has his wheel hop under control.. It will be fun, I am still putting my money on the Platinum to show up the Black and Redline though....;)

thebigjimsho
07-11-05, 11:28 PM
I've had enough breaktime. I'm heading back out to finish up and see how much of the UUC I can get done before beddy-bye. I've also got the Pinion support, FG2s and B&B exhaust(please come in by Firday!) to do before the end of the week. Nevermind that I have to mount the Hoosiers on the Mille Miglias coming in, get an alignment and get the car pre-teched for Putnam Park on the 20th.

Damn, why can't I find any Shiners around here???

DansCTSV
07-11-05, 11:32 PM
I am still putting my money on the Platinum to show up the Black and Redline though....;)

You are going to get me in trouble with my wife... I see more mods in my future. :lildevil:

StealthV - I need a tune. :sneaky:

HDMLNIUM
07-11-05, 11:35 PM
You are going to get me in trouble with my wife... I see more mods in my future. :lildevil:

StealthV - I need a tune. :sneaky:

lol, isn't moding fun....hahaha;)

thebigjimsho
07-12-05, 01:18 AM
That F****** sucked. It's done. But I spent all my damn time trying to realign the dowel pin and tightening it all up. I look like shit. Well, moreso than usual.:nono:

It really isn't that tough a job and should only take about 2 hours. But at the end of a long day, alone, not a great idea. Oh well, time for bed.

ace996
07-12-05, 01:33 AM
Good job, BigJim. Not the most fun with tools, but you should be happy with the results. Probably not the best time to bring it up, but you did use some locktite...right??? :hide: :hide: :hide:

I'm looking forward to your future autox descriptions with the mods you're doing. You'll love the FG2s.

Ve good,
ace996

thebigjimsho
01-25-09, 04:21 AM
So you can use the BMR bar and Specter bushings although, with an exhaust, it may be tough. The UUC shifter was great, although I had an early one that broke. But UUC was fast in getting me a newer one. And this design should be bulletproof.

The FG2 is a great shock and works wonderfully with Ground Control 500/550s. The BMR pinion support never went on and Hoosiers are great tires...